March 28, 2024, 03:49:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shovel Ready - National ID Act of 2005 - Buiding Block of Reform?  (Read 3290 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: January 15, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »

A good start - building a foundation of identification.  The building blocks of healthcare reform, entitlement program reform, vote reform, and national security.  I am sure there a number of other benefits.  I can't think of any DOWNSIDE.

http://www.ncsl.org/standcomm/sctran/REAL_ID_Act_of_2005.htm

How many fraud mortgages are taxpayers bailing out?  How many 'ghosts' are on the voter registration rolls?  How many people ripoff insurance companies (and ratepayers/taxpayers) every year due to healthcare fraud?   

Read ID needs funding and seems like a good place to start for all the Obama Healthcare reforms.  A little ID, a little building of database storage, some clerical... 

Why build a patient record system if you have no idea who your patients really are?  No idea if patients are double dipping the system along with doctors and other providers of services?   

Who are we as a nation?  Does anyone in goverment care about identity theft?  Do they care if Mainstreet continues to get ripped off?  Nameless faceless people on Mainstreet?   

From the daily life, dollar stores and other retail business require greater ID standards for those wanting to return merchandise.  Why not raise the bar and make 2009 the year of finding out who America really is?  Ensuring the future of generations of Americans?   

I learned last year that a drivers license is not proof of citizenship.  A utility bill is not proof of citizenship or residence.  At one time, when the world was a smaller, friendlier place, identity theft wasn't the growing problem it is today.  It was STILL a problem.

Funny ~

Identity theft seems to have blossomed over the past few years...

Bailouts seem to have blossomed over the past few years...

How long will identity theft and bailouts continue before government does something?  Anything to stop the rape of a nation?  The future of it's citizens?

The Real ID Act of 2005 seems like a good place to start.  I wonder who voted against it?  Who voted "present"?

Those critical of the Act have some thoughts here - 
http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34430.pdf

Wouldn't there be the same critical review of a national patient database?  Add patient privacy and some additional issues?  Who is really eligible for access?  Who is going to be responsible for paying for everyone in the database?  Questions about citizenship?  Or, perhaps the real intent is to allow the global access to healthcare provided by current and future generations of US taxpayers?   

What happened to paying a fair shareGive and take?  Everyone a stakeholder?  It seems like only current and future taxpayers have the burden for all these bailouts and health and 'crumbling infrastructure' programs, but the benefits to to everyone with a hand out - special interests, global community, anyone looking for a hand out. 

How do future generations of Americans feel about all these Bush and Obama tax increases?  Unfunded mandates (bailouts)?  Anyone able to ask?  Taxation without representation? 

In the end, taxpayers get left holding an empty bag.  The bag just keeps growing.

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »

Anyone else on the "National ID" bandwagon?

Market Report -- In Play (LCRD)January 12, 2009 7:31 AM ET advertisement

LaserCard announces $5.4 mln follow-on order for Saudi Arabia National ID card program Co announced a follow-on purchase order valued at $5.4 million to supply secure credentials for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's National Identity Card program.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=BCOM&date=20090112&id=9504279

“We are pleased to continue our close relationship with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in support of this vital homeland security project,” said Bob DeVincenzi, president and CEO of LaserCard Corp. “This ongoing program is a real vote of confidence in both LaserCard technology and the performance of the personalization solution we developed and installed in Riyadh and many regional cities under contract to the Saudi government. The system’s success demonstrates our abilities as a leading provider of secure ID solutions.”

http://secprodonline.com/Articles/2008/09/05/Saudi-Arabia--ID-Card.aspx

Is the US government concerned with individual security?  Homeland security?  Identity theft?  Or, just with spending money and having no idea where it is going and who is benefits?

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »

Maybe the UN could help clean up the voter rolls in the US?

"Bangladesh votes under heavy security"

A UN-funded digital electoral roll, which has eliminated 12.7 million fake names, appeared to have resolved many of the problems that have hit previous Bangladesh elections .

At one polling station in Dhaka, voters queued with their new photograph ID cards in hand.

"I'm a first-time voter and the atmosphere couldn't be any better," Mamun Howlader, a 21-year-old mechanic, told AFP.

"There's a festive atmosphere. It's fun."

Fakhruddin Ahmed, a former banker who has run Bangladesh under the interim administration for the last two years, said the polls would "bring back power to an elected government and the country can prosper."

http://www.citizen.co.za/index/article.aspx?pDesc=1,1,22&type=top&File=081229081219.4th0nrma.xml

From my experience in the US, no ID is required and all one has to do is give a name, any name...

I am certain there are problems with any system, however, the US continues to hide their government head in the sand and ignore the problems associated with identity theft and fraud.  mortgages, voting, entitlements...

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 02:12:36 PM »

UK -

The NIS is a system of identification for adults living in the UK. Its cornerstone is the introduction of national ID cards for UK and European Economic Area residents over the age of 16.

Each ID card will combine the cardholder's biometric data (iris scan and finger prints) with their identity details.

This information will be stored on the National Identity Register. Basic identity information will also be held in a chip on the ID card itself.

The first ID cards will be issued on a voluntary basis to British citizens in 2009.

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/871815/Home-Office-calls-ID-card-passport-pitch/

How simple would it be to have an integrated system in the US?  Could some kind of national identity database be the foundation?  Add healthcare and entitlement program records over say five years?

Why continue to build with a mish-mash of programs/formats/databases?  Isn't that the point of the healthcare records spending of Obama?  Save money by eliminating the many paper and electronic programs that currently exist? 

BTW - Aren't healthcare providers already using electronic records?  Electronic billing and payment?  Medicare?  Prescriptions?  Seems like healthcare records are already being addressed.  Another special interest group behind the curtain somewhere?

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:21:28 PM »

Some others I googled -

India
United Arab Emirates
Nigeria
Tanzania
Saudi Arabia
Jamaica
New Zealand
Phillipines

When will the US jump on the bandwagon?  Jump start financial security and recovery?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »

Identity theft impacted 8.1 million Americans last year, costing them $45 billion in financial losses, according to Javelin Strategy and Research.

Connecticut fraud complaints, many of which stem from identity theft cases, cost consumers $5.8 million last year, according to the Federal Trade Commission. That is about $1,230 per incident.

"Identity theft is a rampant crime. It's not a one-time crime, but a faceless one with residual effects that you feel for a long time afterward while you try to sort things out, convincing creditors that you are not the person who spent this money," said Fairfield Police Sgt. James Perez, a spokesman for the department who frequently gives talks to civic organizations.

http://www.newstimes.com/ci_11457066

On a related note, I wonder at times how much of the TARP money is going to toxic assets due to identity theft and fraud?  Phantom mortgage holders?  When will there be some public disclosure of the REAL problems? 

Maybe taxpayers could be offered a 'bounty' of say 10% for helping to find and identify the persons responsible for these toxic assets and taxpayer debt?

How many TARP recipients have a poor track record for identifying identity theft and fraud?  How many fail to maintain/protect customer information?  How many have outsourced these functions (back office work) to offshore providers of human capital?

How many TARP recipients have sent out those "your prsonal identification has been compromised" letters?

just my humble opinions

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.