March 29, 2024, 03:01:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinion - We Can't Trust Timothy Geithner (not just the tax problems) ~  (Read 2235 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: January 21, 2009, 11:48:22 PM »

Lots of Tim Geighner stuff in the news -

We Can't Trust Timothy Geithner

By Steve Schifferes
Economics reporter, BBC News, Washington

There is only one thing that we could possibly lead with today and that is Timothy Geithner. He is – I believe – the most qualified guy for the treasury secretary job. He’s the guy I would have picked. I also would not have picked him because it’s not just about his credentials. It’s more than that.

Banks and politicians trust him. And maybe at this point in our country’s history, that’s why we shouldn’t. In a country where thousands of people are losing their jobs, we are promoting a guy who has made three major errors in judgment, any one of which would have put you or me in the unemployment line.

First, he’s the guys that developed the TARP program. You know, the program where we’ve already lost over 25% of our money in that can’t mis-invest – no really America, we’re just going to put it in this bank right here, you’re going to be worth a fortune in five years

Everything we know about this guy — so far — suggests that we cannot trust Timothy Geithner. He is a gambler with his own life and possibly with our money. This guy wants an unlimited bankroll – our bankroll. And it’s time to cut him off. If Timothy Geithner can be stopped, it’s probably going to be a Republican who does it.

So who’s going to stand up and say “No, I don’t think you should really be running the IRS”?

Who are the other choices?

read more here -
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481347,00.html

Tim Geithner's taxing problems
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7843730.stm

Is it just about taxes?  Maybe everyone with IRS problems will be getting a 'pass' going forward?  Everyone gets the Geithner program for America? 

Is it Me or is Tim Geithner Fredo from Godfather II?

3) He ran the NY Fed. Enough said.

4) Ok, back to number 3. As head of the NY Fed, he has a major soft spot for Wall Street and a powerful network of people in his ear--the same people who got us into this blood diamond. The health of stock prices means our country is back on track, right? Return us to the age of golden parachutes, right? Geithner will attempt to restore the glory of Wall Street, but you can't fix the economy with the same people who broke it. If Geithner couldn't stand up to derivatives what makes you think he has the guts and vision to make the hard choices needed to get our economy into this new age Obama heralded in his inauguration speech. Fredo, I mean spineless Geithner, will be Wall Street business as usual. And future generations can't afford that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrea-chalupa/is-it-me-or-is-tim-geithn_b_159874.html

IMF Informed Geithner on Taxes
Senate Delays Treasury Nominee's Hearing Till Jan. 21; Obama Vote of

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123194884833281695.html?mod=special_page_campaign2008_mostpop

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:12:52 AM »

After I went to bed last night, I had a few more thoughts.

Maybe this is a good thing for America, a new way to do business.

No one has to pay taxes, including the rich and politically connected anymore-it's part of the "'new' New Deal" for America.

Only those being appointed to political office ever have to file or have money taken away from their take home pay again!  Only pay taxes if you are being considered for high government office-the kind that sets an example for others.  What a great country.

Maybe those that got little letters from the IRS in the past or in the future just need to walk in there, call, or write a letter asking for the same kinda deal Tim Geithner got.  If our highest elected officials don't have to pay taxes and get the red carpet treatment by the IRS, surely those good things about America can trickle down like a stimulus package.

What a stimulus-no one ever need pay for Social Security, Medicare, or any other onerous tax again.

Good job Geithner.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:52:34 AM »

Geithner approved by Senate panel for Treasury Secretary

By Maggie McNeil
Last update: 11:30 a.m. EST Jan. 22, 2009Comments: 16
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The Senate Finance Committee voted Thursday to approve the nomination of Timothy Geithner to be Treasury Secretary. The vote was 18 to 5. Several Republicans said they could not vote for him because of errors on his tax returns uncovered by the committee. Sen Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., said he did not believe Geithner was candid with the panel. But Democrats unanimously backed Geithner. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Geithner would be an able navigator through "troubled, dangerous and uncharted waters." The nomination now goes to the full Senate floor, and is expected to be cleared easily.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7BAFE45E39%2DF304%2D4FC9%2D97E9%2DFDDB592153C0%7D#comments

Quote from: Goldbrain 48 seconds ago
It looks like the Obama Administration is going to be a crooked one just like the last one. Timothy Geithner is apparently a tax cheat from what I heard of the testimony. They put Martha Stewart in prison for less.

How many years before there is a political party that represents the best interests of all Americans?  Not just those on Wall Street? 

Who's guarding the cookie jar?

Who is selling current and future generations of American's into poverty?  Debt slavery?

It took a great leader in Abe Lincoln to go above and beyond and keep this great nation together and free slaves.

Who is signing the slave papers for this generation of Americans?  Who is selling their brothers and sisters into slavery?  How easy is it to continue to pour trillions into failed policies of the past?  Distribute new and enhanced pork spending programs under the guise of 'stimulus'?

Just look in the mirror when you get up tomorrow my fellow Americans.  Just look at your leadership on the internet and on TV.  The faces staring back at you are the seller, middleman, and slave merchant.  Selling the slaves seems to be the easy part, buying back their freedom will be the hard part that follows the "New" New Deal.

Who's on the buying end of all those bailouts?  Who's the loan shark? 

When will government tackle ideas like 'conflict of interest', nepotism, and cronyism in our government and financial systems?

imho

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:20:01 PM »

The Rangel Rule...

I caught up with Rep. John Carter (R-TX) yesterday in the hallways of the Rayburn House Office building, outside of an Appropriations Committee markup.  An attorney and former judge, Carter has been a vocal critic of the double standard afforded public officials, in particular House Ways and Means Chairman Charlie Rangel (D-NY), by the IRS when it comes to assessment of interest and penalties on back taxes.

“The first one that popped to the surface seemed to be the issue of Mr. Rangel’s 20-years of failure to pay taxes on his rental income,” Carter told me.  “So far there have been no penalties or interest assessed. … If that’s the way the IRS is going to treat Mr. Rangel, I think that we should be able to write on our tax returns if we owe any penalties or interest, ‘I exercise the Rangel Rule’ and you would also be exempt from having to pay those monies. … Now it appears Mr. Geithner is getting the same treatment.”

“I should have been more careful” and “These were careless mistakes” should not be in the financial world vernacular of the person who will guide this nation through the worst economic times since we endured four years of Jimmy Carter at the helm. 

President Obama should -- in most cases -- not be denied the counsel of those he deems appropriate to advise him on matters.  Yet appointing a man to head the Treasury Department -- the very agency in charge of the IRS -- who lacks the capacity to properly file his own self-employment taxes not once, but four years in a row, borders on the absurd. 
The Senate’s responsibility is one of “advise and consent” to this young president serving in his first executive position.  The rubber-stamping of these nominees places a large part of the responsibility for their performance in office squarely on the shoulders of a Senate controlled by Democrats determined to shove these nominees through, come what may.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30376

How many trillions of dollars have taxpayers/Americans and future generations of American spent on bailouts?  How many hundreds of years will it take to pay back all this money?  Return prosperity to America?

Do any of these 'rubber stamp' people see anything wrong with what went wrong at AIG?  Wall Street?  Detroit?  Any other bailout buddies?

What future is there for America?  Being on the global dole?  Maybe the rest of the world will feel sorry for us?  Feel sorry that our elected leaders failed to manage the nations finances responsibly?

How many Americans could borrow and spend their entire income year and year and not expect to pay it back?

How many could spend trillions?

Only the rich?  Where are the rich people on Capitol Hill getting all this money?  Maybe they could give away those $1 billion dollar money trees to everyone?  Everyone and their friends on Main Street?

Why are the bailous the exclusive domain of Wall Street and other businesses?

What happened to integrity?  Putting the nation and ALL it's people first?

imho

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 12:28:06 PM »

Comments from that site -

Our congressmen and public officials are a disgrace. No longer do ethics and morality seem to matter. The man who will head the Treasury Department doesn't seem to know tax rules and purposely made deductions which were clearly illegal and ignored information on his requirement to pay taxes from the IMF. Yet, he will be approved because he is needed to solve the economic crisis. Yet, it has not struck anyone that this man was a Federal Reserve govenor who had a hand in taking actions causing this crisis. Then there is the imfamous attorney general who pardoned Mark Rich and 16 PR terrorists. And according to the congressional record some democratic senators who are still in the senate made comments that they could never vote for him again. Now these same senators are silent. Wow, what leadership.
Jan 22, 2009 @ 10:43 AMRon, Catharpin

This is quickly becoming a giant farce. Our Gov is soon to be a laughinstock of crooks liars and retreads of crooks and liars. Will someone make it all stop? Where are our Repubs? Oh, thats right, they are busy defending the status quo......almost like some 5th century secret society, they close ranks and protect their own.

The elite congress club rolls on......
Jan 22, 2009 @ 11:24 AMRedneck In New York, Not NYC

It’s important that the most economically-relevant positions be populated with people who can’t be trusted with money. That way it balances out the fact that the top national-security positions have been staffed with people who don’t support tough security policies.

Maybe this is all Obama’s way of rewarding the media for their shameless support during his campaign. I mean, think of all the exciting news events that can be generated by failed national-security and economic leadership, especially at the same time.

Throw in a sex scandal or two and these will be glory days for journalists!

Jan 22, 2009 @ 10:26 AMCormac, NJ

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30376

Good points.  Who pays the price for failed economic policy?  Failed security policy?

Was Wall Street content taking part of the your 401k?  IRA?  Retirement dreams?  Anyone think they will give all that money back?

What's the next best thing?  Throwing increasing amounts of taxpayer funds into the cesspool that has been created over the past 10-15 years?  Destroying the future prosperity of our nation?

After Wall Street and other bailout folks get ANOTHER share of your money, will Obama and the post-Obama administrations take the rest?

Any chance an honest person can save for the future?  Have a good life?  Retire with dignity?

Any hope for the future?

imho

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.