March 28, 2024, 04:31:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kitchen Renovation Need Opinions Pls  (Read 7675 times)
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« on: January 22, 2009, 05:04:28 PM »

I have owned my house for a bit over a year. Knowing when I bought the house it was what it was " A Fixer Upper" ... I went and finally got the nerve to have my House renovated 9/2008. My house is Ode. It was born in 1925. I am the third owner.
My original Kitchen was so small that if 2 or more people were in it at once - You were walking sideways ... just to get thru the room.
So My new kitchen has arrived almost. It has been gutted completely, walls removed, all new drywall, * insulation which I did not have has been added, all new floors, all new cabinets, counters etc... and now I am down to the finish. I went and found a paint color to " Paint" myself. I did paint. Did it turn out. NO. I chose a dark magenta color and it came out with my final efforts awful .. many many hours of painting mind you.
First I had to prime everything with a tinted primer, then wait, then paint with the final color, then wait, then do another layer of final color and what was ~
 .. its final look  SIGH .. a Roller Fest upon the walls ... Tacky gross and just exhausting for me to look at. Red Paint or Reddish Paint I guess is the Nemesis of all Paint Colors. Had I of known ... OMG .. I never would have ventured.
I did have to call in my Drywall guys to come to FIX my Kitchen Paint. Today they left and will come back tomorrow for the very finish details... The color and their Craft came out beautiful.

Me Old Kitchen
that at many times since this has all started - I have MISSED a lot  - photo taken in Sept

My Internship into Renovation

Me New Kitchen - photo taken in Nov

Lots of Change .... Huge Change.
Paint - this is my failed attempt after countless hours of painting by myself

This pic I have named " Who Killed Kenny" Southpark ... because it is just that bad .. the end result

Paint as of Today

YAY

I am now trying to create a Backsplash with Tile
I have found this tile after countless " shopping" ..of tile for such Backsplash

I am very excited about this tile because it comes in 12x12 (one ft sq) mesh backed. AND BONUS it is just 2.24 cents for that 12x12 .. eh hmm. Why am I so joyous ..because every where I have gone its min 10.00 per sq up to 20.00 and I have 30 sq feet to cover for this tile background ..to be finished complete.

So what I want to do is use this tile and then have a cut out to insert a 4x4 tile-for a Insert tile that is decorative and Unique and meaningful for myself and my Kitchen.

It can be done. I have found that within my colors I am at a stand still to find such a tile for Insert. Most are for Craftsman and they are not within the colors/glaze that will enhance nor be right for my new kitchen.

I found some tiles for inserts and would SOOOO Appreciate my Monkeys to offer up their opinions. I am struggling because I love these tiles for their character and such that I am to post below in photo. But what scares me is the Longevity - Will I be bored with it and then think back ......what the hell were you thinking .... Sigh

These are the few that I have found that I like - I only need " 5" art tiles to be set within the field tile which is white.

And then this tile - which I so love yet is not big enough - it is smaller than the actual field tile itself - Cat tile is 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch

tile is from Sligocreek.com

My Kitchen appears to be Red its not a true red. Its more like a Red Grape red. It has undertones of blues and purples..NO oranges no warmth at all. Its a cool red that has a white wash of distressed age. My hardware is black iron with white wash, my floor is dark charcoal distressed laminate " wider plank wood" with light tones within of a  cool cola color.

If Any One knows of a site that sells artistic tile - sold by the piece - PLS Post
All of the tiles above are from Color Bakery, Vintage Mural - found on the web.

Thank You all for reading my post ... I am at my wits at this point. It has been a very long journey ..and I am ready to go Home.
Hugs K

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
perriwinkle
Monkey Junky Jr.

If you were a crayon, what color would you be?

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:14:15 AM »

Deenie!  This kitchen project is AWESOME!  I love the creative tiles you are looking at.  I wish I were as brave as you.  I need to think about this, but while I do, please know that I think this is going to be a fun place to cook and hang out! 

We could learn a lot from crayons...

some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all exist very nicely in the same box.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:11:26 AM »

I will offer the suggestion that I have noticed the most interesting look (trend) is for the cabinets to not all match. You want to create some interest. My decorater gave me a tile site which creates a picture of sorts, and I personally want one that is timeless. I have not found it yet, but what links I have, I will share.

I think the small tile look so popular today will tend to date a home. I have not chosen mine yet for our new home, but again, I will share any sites I find beneficial.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:16:58 AM »

Your home looks to have a lot of character and I think will feel homey and cozy. Good sized kitchen. I wish you much happiness with it...and will get back with any sites/info you might find helpful.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:05:44 PM »

Deenie!  This kitchen project is AWESOME!  I love the creative tiles you are looking at.  I wish I were as brave as you.  I need to think about this, but while I do, please know that I think this is going to be a fun place to cook and hang out! 

Thank you so much for your kind words -
Smile

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:06:30 PM »

Your home looks to have a lot of character and I think will feel homey and cozy. Good sized kitchen. I wish you much happiness with it...and will get back with any sites/info you might find helpful.

Thank You Thank You
K

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »

The renovation is amazing!!  WOW!  the tiles are wonderful...........you have done a great job so far!!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:34:44 PM »

The artistic tiles are interesting......but I'd be very careful....I really like the one that is too small.....

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.