March 28, 2024, 12:46:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building my house  (Read 33780 times)
Shell
Monkey Junky

« on: January 24, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »

As some of you know, our home and everything we owned in our world burned to the ground and was ashes in the firestorm 07. After 1 year and 3 months, many tears, much stress and work and worry, we have finally come to a settlement with our insurance carrier. We have begun building our new home. 

I would appreciate any imput you all have, as I respect so many of your opinions and I know you all have a lot of accumulated knowledge in many areas.

Our new home is being built in an area of custom homes, in the hills. We wanted something unique, yet will fit in with the terrain. We have always liked the look of the Southwest (think Scottsdale Az or Santa Fe Nm.) Sophisticated Southwest is the goal.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:12 AM »

Our house will have a flat roof, higher in some areas, such as the entry and the kitchen/family room.

Doors will be wide and oversized, stained wood. Front door arched, a double door. Beams in entry, kitchen, and family room.

Now my question.---Traditional vs. acrylic stucco? I have head the traditional cracks, but the acrylic stucco has a well, ...plastic look. What do you with southwest homes recommend?

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »

Our house will have a flat roof, higher in some areas, such as the entry and the kitchen/family room.

Doors will be wide and oversized, stained wood. Front door arched, a double door. Beams in entry, kitchen, and family room.

Now my question.---Traditional vs. acrylic stucco? I have head the traditional cracks, but the acrylic stucco has a well, ...plastic look. What do you with southwest homes recommend?

*heard----I forgot to spell check

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:57:39 AM »

Kitchen: so far I have only picked out appliances, windows, and doors. All Viking appliances as we felt that is a selling point when we decide to sell. Jelwen windows. Mostly terrazo tile floors except wood in lr/dr/bedrooms.

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:01:03 AM »

Question: Do they predominately use tile or wood for floors in the contemporary SW home? Wood, reclaimed wood, or synthetic beams?

Colors of stucco? Any ideas?

AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:36:03 PM »

If you live in a dry area, either traditional or acrylic will be fine.  If you live where this is significant moisture, then be careful with the acrylic stucco.  It has to have an engineered drainage system, and if not done properly, the acrylic stucco can create and make moisture problems worse.

BRING NATALEE HOME
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »

Kitchen: so far I have only picked out appliances, windows, and doors. All Viking appliances as we felt that is a selling point when we decide to sell. Jelwen windows. Mostly terrazo tile floors except wood in lr/dr/bedrooms.
You are smart to go with top of the line appliances as they not only increase home resale value, but perform better for longer.  Check into the Fisher and Paykel dish drawers instead of a standard dishwasher.  I just bought one and absolutely love it.  It's the best dishwasher I've ever had, and I like the convenience of two smaller dishwashers instead of one large.

BRING NATALEE HOME
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »

Question: Do they predominately use tile or wood for floors in the contemporary SW home? Wood, reclaimed wood, or synthetic beams?

Colors of stucco? Any ideas?

Tile is used mostly in the southwest on floors because it is cool underfoot in the hot and dry climate.  Additionally, tile doesn't react to the dry heat like wood.  Wood floors, if not properly cared for in hot dry climates can dry out and crack.  The dust is huge here, and the only way to get it under control is to damp mop.  Tile is good for this, but wood floors don't like the "damp" part of the process.  The dust here can also build on wood floors and scratch the finish over time.  So, for mostly climactic reasons, we use tile rather than wood on the floor.  If you don't deal with the dry heat and dust--by all means, put in a beautiful wood floor!

Overhead beams are often seen in southwest or pueblo style homes.  They are called "vigas" and were originally the exposed support beam in the roof of the house.  Now they are often added as decorative features.  Usually they look like round peeled pine beams that go from wall to wall on the ceiling.  Sometimes they are stained to match other woodwork in the house.

Exterior colors--DO NOT use turquoise as a trim color.  Tacky, tacky.  Use the colors you see in the desert like soft golds, beiges, browns, olivey greens, sage greens.  The southwestern house blends into its surroundings and doesn't stick out like a man-made feature.

BRING NATALEE HOME
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »

http://hurlockerhomes.com/?gclid=CMjemPGLqJgCFREeDQodRXBAng
Here's a pic of a living room with vigas on the ceiling.  Very cool and southwestern with a modern bent.

BRING NATALEE HOME
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »

http://www.kamasarchitecture.com/
This website has some gorgeous pics of southwestern architecture, too.  I love these houses!

BRING NATALEE HOME
always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »

I love all of your ideas except the flat roof.  We live in Okla.  My roommate takes care of 84 rent houses.  Any house here with a flat roof ALWAYS has leaks.  The rain does not shed and it holds on the root, causing major leaks.  You can do everything in the world to them and they still leak.

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »

As some of you know, our home and everything we owned in our world burned to the ground and was ashes in the firestorm 07. After 1 year and 3 months, many tears, much stress and work and worry, we have finally come to a settlement with our insurance carrier. We have begun building our new home. 

I would appreciate any imput you all have, as I respect so many of your opinions and I know you all have a lot of accumulated knowledge in many areas.

Our new home is being built in an area of custom homes, in the hills. We wanted something unique, yet will fit in with the terrain. We have always liked the look of the Southwest (think Scottsdale Az or Santa Fe Nm.) Sophisticated Southwest is the goal.

Shell I am so glad you started this thread.............the area sounds beautiful!!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 09:22:07 PM »

Living in Houston as we did.....the traditional stucco was so beautiful....and I understand if properly maintained it will last a long time. I saw some of the acrylic and it looked cheap...at least the ones we saw...I'd really do a lot of research before making a decision.

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 09:25:05 PM »

You are smart to go with top of the line appliances as they not only increase home resale value, but perform better for longer.  Check into the Fisher and Paykel dish drawers instead of a standard dishwasher.  I just bought one and absolutely love it.  It's the best dishwasher I've ever had, and I like the convenience of two smaller dishwashers instead of one large.

We just looked into them a month or so ago...haven't bought yet...but since it's just the 2 of us...but we do entertain often.... I liked the Paykel 2 drawer feature

Rest in Peace Caylee

AzGrama
Scared Monkey

Addie, spoiled rotten Min Pin with ginormous ears!

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 03:18:53 PM »

I love all of your ideas except the flat roof.  We live in Okla.  My roommate takes care of 84 rent houses.  Any house here with a flat roof ALWAYS has leaks.  The rain does not shed and it holds on the root, causing major leaks.  You can do everything in the world to them and they still leak.

Shell, I would agree with this.  My brother in Tucson has a flat roof, constant problems and he has to alot of expense maintenance....sadly, to no avail.  He continually has problems.

Also, I agree with what AzLady has said about colors, vigas, etc.  She is spot on.  I'll be anxious to hear how it turns out.

Casey Anthony = Keyser Soze
    "The Usual Suspects"
always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »

Also, If I had a dream kitchen...... I would have one of those new tiny hot water tanks in the kitchen where I could have instant hot water.  And I would have a real antique buffet built in with lots of slots for long plates.  And I would have a wood floor.  And I would have a huge island with drawers along one side and plug ins built in.  I would have a built in ice maker, trash compacter, wine cooler.

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »

I already ordered Viking. It is really nice. Thanks for the tip, but I ordered it with the other Viking appliances.

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »

Living in Houston as we did.....the traditional stucco was so beautiful....and I understand if properly maintained it will last a long time. I saw some of the acrylic and it looked cheap...at least the ones we saw...I'd really do a lot of research before making a decision.

The weather here is great, so moisture is not much of a problem, and if it looks cheap, I certainly will not go for the acrylic. Still doing research on it, and I have not actually seen acrylic, but traditional stucco is everywhere here, in fact the house that burned was stucco.

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:51 PM »

Also, If I had a dream kitchen...... I would have one of those new tiny hot water tanks in the kitchen where I could have instant hot water.  And I would have a real antique buffet built in with lots of slots for long plates.  And I would have a wood floor.  And I would have a huge island with drawers along one side and plug ins built in.  I would have a built in ice maker, trash compacter, wine cooler.

We might do all stone floors. Wood is beautiful but I am thinking about the fact we have 3 dogs. Various bodily fluids come out of them for various reasons (gotta love those dogs...lol)and stone seems the easiest to keep. I am also thinking about what AZ said about wood. I do want an antique buffet, but in the dining room. I am having a huge island, and want special pop out shelves for all the appliances. Ice maker is in the fridge, will get trash compacter, and built in wine cooler. Decorator wanted to make us a wine cooler room/closet, really cool looking but hubby said no, the beverage/wine cooler we are getting is enough. And yes on instant hot water, and I also am getting a pot filler, so I do not have to lift the pot full of water and can fill it at stove.

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 11:09:49 PM »

Shell, I would agree with this.  My brother in Tucson has a flat roof, constant problems and he has to alot of expense maintenance....sadly, to no avail.  He continually has problems.

Also, I agree with what AzLady has said about colors, vigas, etc.  She is spot on.  I'll be anxious to hear how it turns out.

They build them in New Mexico (the southwest) all the time, mine will be on the contemporary side. I really think this will work out and be way cool looking and I am betting my builder knows what he is doing. Thanks for your imput tho. (Plans are done and finalized, so lets think positive!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.