March 28, 2024, 02:50:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayors Looking for Change and Bold Action - No Grass Roots  (Read 1472 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: February 04, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »

I had the opportunity to watch U.S. mayors on C-Span ask for change and bold action.

Several communicated that they are close to the people hardest hit by the economic disaster and that most of America lives in urban areas/big cities.

"The senators need to stop business as usual here in Washington and get to work on a bill that can be presented to get people back to work."

"The economic news on Main Street is bad and is getting worse. Every day all of us have seen more and more people unemployed in our cities, more people losing their homes, small businesses that are ... closing their doors," Diaz said. "Our people continue to suffer, and we're here to support the president's call for a stimulus package."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/04/mayors.economy/

IIRC, some American's were hungry for change last November...

What are these Mayors doing to stimulate their cities growth?  Are they seeking rebuilding / seeking new manufacturing jobs?  Maybe they are borrowing money to rebuild crumbling schools and infrastructure?

If they are closest to the problems, what are they doing?  Are they like the Wall Street leadership looking for a Federal Taxpayer handout?  Yet fail in their responsibility to their stakeholders, the citizens that are hardest hit by the economic collapse?

Are the mayors they lobbying their state governments for money?  Jobs?  Projects?

I also listened to Obama talk about mandated 'reform' for Wall Street and CEO's and bailout recipients.  What about reform for cities that allowed schools and infrastructure to crumble? 

When are cities and states going to be responsible contributors to our 'shared success'?

If they contain the majority of the population, why isn't the majority of the population finding their own solutions?  In my theory, they must have the most available resources, wealth, high property values, etc.  They should be best able to spend themselves and their cities out of this depression.

IMO, there is a hugh difference between bold action and stupid action.  Barney Frank has warned against stupid part.  IMO - government needs to stop doing stupid things to. 

Maybe the stimulus isn't working because the money is going offshore faster than the internet...that's why Americans continue to feel so much pain.  None of the stimulus money seems to flowing to Main Street.  Why should it?  Just grow a pipeline to India and China and open the tapper.

If we're all in this together, when are the smallest units of government, cities, and states going to start carrying their share of the burden?  Why aren't they borrowing against the future prosperity of their children and grandchildren?

The problems with the financial sector, Wall Street are a mirror of what is going on in our government, local, state, and federal.   No responsibility.  No accountability.  Just look for another handout.  Only bold action seems to be the perks and tax benefits they take.

Wall Street and banks got too big, so did government.  The leadership is to far removed from those that own the company - stockholders and 'we the people'.  

Was the Obama campaign a grassroots thing?  When are the roots expected to help grow the rest of the plant?  What happens to a plant that looses it root system?  IIRC from science class, many wither and die.

So goes America.  The plant is separated from the roots...

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:05:12 AM »

Is the current version of the stimulus package designed to create jobs in America?  Or, just raise imports and worsen the trade imbalance?

Free trade is a misnomer.  Trade is never really free, it has a cost - unemployment and poverty.  It's no different than 'protectionism' or 'communism'.  What is the goal?

Is the goal a sustainable economy the uses the best greenest freshest local ingredients?  Or, ingredients with a shelf life of years that are shipped in containers for months - no longer fresh or green?

I think the current version of "free trade" is not only a misnomer, but is unsustainable long term  Maybe a rise in consumption taxes for imports?

There was a time when companies in cities competed with companies in other cities.  They competed at about the same level, taxes, etc. 

Why would politicians promote a recovery and reinvestment bill that opens the spigot of debt in favor of jobs outside the U.S.?

If the Obama bill is truly focused on creating jobs for Americans, why is there such an uproar about "protectionism"?

Isn't it the governments job to defend the nation?  If the past defense was military and hands on.  I believe warfare has had a new face for some time.  How does a nation fight economic terrorism, raiding under the banner of "free trade"?

Why support a bill that sends money to foreign nations and away from American jobs and prosperity?  Who's looking out for the interests of the American people?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.