April 26, 2024, 09:52:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only You  (Read 4797 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: February 07, 2009, 01:08:50 AM »

I would like to read something positive in this thread rather than complaints. How about you? Don't you have anything positive to say about living in the United States of America?

The universe is a vast and amazing thing. As my thoughts and ideas have changed from negative to positive, my circumstances have changed in accord.

Only you can change the world. We each have to do our part. That's how it works. Try.

Try to use the energy you spent on complaining for something positive. Give yourself a break and relax for a moment. Take three deep breaths and let your mind clear. Try to be generous.

Just try to change the world.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:12:50 PM »

I would love to read positive things, nobody posts them. 

Hopefully everyone will jump right in and post the positive things they see in the world around them.

No one can do everything, everyone can do something.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:34:41 PM »

Hopefully everyone will jump right in and post the positive things they see in the world around them.

Nobody posts positive remarks???  hmmmmmm.   I guess it does help to mature as many do before some peeps can just let things slide.  We can certainly point out what we do not like, but it has very little affect on making any significant change except to get ourselves emotionally upset.   I think it is great to see the various opinions posted here and in other places on the net.  In the final analyses we will make up our own minds based upon our unique life situations.   I guess that is why I read far more than I post.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:12:17 AM »

Whatdoya meant 'nobody posts positive things?' I posted something positive above. Didn't you see it?

jjayinthemorning
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »

A dozen American cities will be attacked by Islamic terrorism soon. We have the strength to survive, that's what's great about this country.

If anyone is naive or under-educated about this threat then we have the strength to learn and be prepared.

This isn't a time to party. This isn't a time to celebrate. We are in a bad situation. Only if we face reality will America continue, and continue to be great.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:46:18 AM »

Negative thoughts, words and attitude bring up negative and unhappy moods and actions. When the mind is negative, poisons are released into the blood, which cause more unhappiness and negativity. This is the way to failure, frustration and disappointment.

But lets not be blind to the fact that America is in Big Trouble..   Lets US just be positive about it.
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 10:00:12 AM »

I believe that faith, hope, and love are some of the most important things.

None of them does any good without action.  When I look back over my life, I look at the sacrifices of my parents, what they did to provide for their children and the sacrifices they made to give us a good life.  Sacrifice was a way of life for previous generations.  They made very good use of the resources at hand and wasted very little.  They moved to a 'good' neighborhood because they didn't want us to grow up with all the challenges they faced in the poor neighborhood (high poverty and high crime) they called home as children. 

The neighborhood had ethnic diversity, immigrants, blue collar and white collar workers, people of many faiths, people with cars and those that took the bus.  It was our neighborhood school, and there were families from across the city that rode the city bus for hours to attend our school, it was their parents dream for a better future.  I never understood why when I was younger, it just didn't make sense.

Good jobs helped, good union jobs made the difference for many two parents households, and many that were headed by single moms.  Not many single dads in those days, they seemed to remarry pretty quick.

My grandparents sacrificed for their children.  They wanted a better life.  They lived frugally and made good use of the resources at their disposal.

The gradeschool we went to was newer and had a bomb shelter.  We had air raid and tornado drills.  I never understood until years later what a bomb was.  I just knew that when the air raid siren when off, we moved in an orderly fashion to the bomb shelter (reinforced concrete with provisions) and waited until it was safe to return to the classroom.  After school hours, the bomb shelter functioned as a social center and there were lots of activities for kids.

Caring for your children was everything.  My parents worried about radiation coming from the TV in our home and were concerned about many things that affected the family - from drugs, polio, asbestos that was used in children's clothing at the time, and to outside dangers like rapists on the loose.

They gave commented on things that reflected life and would be politically not correct today, things like "Gee Bob, your girls are growing up, you're gonna need that shot gun real soon when the boys start coming around."  I never really knew what that meant until years later, and I don't recall a single incident of gun violence in my neighborhood.

There was no welfare as it is known today, no first dollar health insurance.  Parents planned ahead for routine care and managed when there were unexpected expenses.  Healthcare did cost money, but it was affordable because it was necessary.   Parents took seriously any behavior which might cause bodily injury - they knew who would be paying for it.  People worried about how they were going to pay for things.  There was no easy credit or mortgage, credit cards were hard to get and a privilege.  Government did not spend with wild abandon and run up devastating deficits - people understood it raised taxes and they needed every penny, there was no excess to be giving the government.  Today, for some, there doesn't seem to anything that acts as a deterrent for behavior which might cause bodily or financial injury, either accidental or intentional. 

The community used to worry about children roaming the streets and there were announcements made on all the TV stations that went something like this "Parents, it is now 9:00 p.m., do you know where your children are?"  When it got dark, all the moms and dads yelled out the back door for their kids, and the youth network relayed these messages for many blocks (no one had a cell phone, they didn't exist.)  Parent reminded wandering children with messages like "It's getting dark, I think you should home, your parents are probably worried."

Parents were afraid when the school or neighbor called to report a discipline problem.  Today, the right to a free education has been forgotten.  What is there to replace it?  The right to go to school and take up space without any motivation to learn.  The right to be a discipline problem and interfer with the learning opportunities of others.  The right to...fill in the blank.  People do not appreciate the value of a free education.  It's isn't the gold standard in the global community.  I hope that people wake up and realize what they have missed out on and what their children are missing out on.

I believe that faith, hope, and love are some of the most important things.  I hope that people wake up and start participating in life, instead of looking for others to create for them, the kind of fantasy lives they see on TV. 

I did read the OP

"Only you can change the world. We each have to do our part. That's how it works. Try."

My parents changed their world, their paradigm, because they wanted a better way of life.  They didn't insist that government give them everything.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »

Oh my . . . .I'm sensing extreme irony here. . .

Anyway, I am with you 100% on this Louise.  Way too much negativity here, constant criticism, nitpicking, and know it all 'tudes.  However, since that is a negative comment, I will not continue.

I have faith in America.  We will survive the economic situation, we will prevail through war and upheaval.  We always have, because we are a good, strong, smart, decent, innovative, resilient people.  I am tired of hearing otherwise, period.

I have faith that the new administration will put us on the road to recovery, and our population will take over from there.  Not that it will be instant or easy.  I am willing to give the new admin a fighting chance, for I feel good about the USA and I believe in my country.
jjayinthemorning
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:32:23 PM »

Negative thoughts, words and attitude bring up negative and unhappy moods and actions. When the mind is negative, poisons are released into the blood, which cause more unhappiness and negativity. This is the way to failure, frustration and disappointment.

But lets not be blind to the fact that America is in Big Trouble..   Lets US just be positive about it.
What's more important that us having a positive attitude is becoming educated about the enemy that will attack us.
A good place to start is with looking up dar ul harb and that shouldn't cause any unhappiness to gain education.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:53 AM »

Only negatives and know-it-all tudes?

Even if you visit Huffington's site, even Arianna is asking many many questions and with large concerns. Basically you are asking that everyone just blindly and blithely believe in the new administration. If you choose to do so that is fine, some of us know this global quagmire not only our economy but others are in, is far more complex than any challenge we've faced as a country to date. Am I being a know it all? No, I am realistic and enlightened, there is a difference.

This is an equal opportunity thread, I do take issue with those who rarely post and hardly ever if they do, never post a current interest political topic with references. WhiskeyGirl cares enough to make that effort, you might not agree with her 'facts' that she posts but she does try to reference facts. I think that makes some uncomfortable.

If you are working in the commercial world, not public sector, at this point in time - it's beyond discouraging. Little team work, a great deal of posturing, everyone feels like they are attempting to do their jobs while standing in quicksand. Then there are the massive amounts of the unemployed. A's and Louise, I believe you live in a state which has one of the highest unemployment rates now as do I. I was at the Food Bank's warehouse yesterday helping to unload donated food, then get it packaged into bags to be distributed to families who do not have enough to eat in this current economy, my daughter joined me in this activity as did two other friends.

If you want to do something positive, then give back and don't complain that Obama is under the microscope that he sought and knew full well would be part of his experience. He used Pelosi's favorite appropriations writer to script the stimulus bill. I expect he's likely regretting that decision now. Another lesson learned, he will have some and so will we.

Remember, this is a time your neighbor could use your support. What have you done lately? We all need to do our part, it will take the largest village ever assembled in the US.

I continue to stand with the girl.
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »

My sister told me that the food pantry in her area had to post some rules and information about how the program worked.  So many people that have shown up on their doors have never been on the asking or receiving end of a food pantry.  Their homes are being foreclosed, their cars are at risk, and food is one thing that is still available.  They don't qualify for many other kinds of assistance - from the government.

It's a terrible time for everyone.  It's a good thing that those that can afford to give are still giving and donating their time.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 10:39:09 AM »

My sister told me that the food pantry in her area had to post some rules and information about how the program worked.  So many people that have shown up on their doors have never been on the asking or receiving end of a food pantry.  Their homes are being foreclosed, their cars are at risk, and food is one thing that is still available.  They don't qualify for many other kinds of assistance - from the government.

It's a terrible time for everyone.  It's a good thing that those that can afford to give are still giving and donating their time.

WhiskeyGirl, you are correct. In a time there isn't much assistance for those facing foreclosure or losing their homes, food banks can and want to help. There are policies however, sometimes it's limited to those who meet the federally defined "poverty line" or below it. In the 90's I was on the board of a local food bank and I worked with the United Way and the Junior League, to fund a food supplemental program for families who were not below the official poverty line, but still had difficulty feeding their family adequate meals with required nutitional value. I remember my daughter at age 5, sitting in the warehouse bagging rice to put into the bags that we delivered. Peanut butter is a staple too, for getting protein for food banks as donations was then and remains a significant challenge. With the current issue with salmonella in peanut products, it's quite concerning and was a big topic of discussion yesterday at the food bank.

Families can also purchase food from those food banks having a storefront operation, for far less than they can find these staples elsewhere. If they don't meet the poverty line standard they can purchase food there. There is a tremendous need right now to supply all we can to families in need, particularly those with young children to meet their nutritional needs.

Every urban community has at least one food bank, also if you have favorite restaurants you frequent and/or know staff there - please ask if they donate to the food bank. You might be surprised to learn how many restaurants just toss out food that isn't eaten, or even staples that might still be usable but have exceeded the policy shelf life of that restaurant or chain. There are multiple ways to help, food banks take monetary donations too.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »

Did anyone notice President Obama's reference to the food banks in america within his speech last night?

I hope all who may be complaining about the lack of positives will find their way to volunteer somewhere.........President Obama is asking you to.

jjayinthemorning
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »

Did anyone notice President Obama's reference to the food banks in america within his speech last night?

I hope all who may be complaining about the lack of positives will find their way to volunteer somewhere.........President Obama is asking you to.
I do 200 hours or more of community service a year. Do all you all too?
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 11:38:30 AM »

jjayinthemornin- my post wasn't directed to you personally.

I don't do 200 hours per year now, there was a time when I could but I was working part-time at that time. My work requires 60 to 80 hours/week lately, as a widowed single parent I can't do 200 hours. I admire that you do.

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »

Only negatives and know-it-all tudes?

Even if you visit Huffington's site, even Arianna is asking many many questions and with large concerns. Basically you are asking that everyone just blindly and blithely believe in the new administration. If you choose to do so that is fine, some of us know this global quagmire not only our economy but others are in, is far more complex than any challenge we've faced as a country to date. Am I being a know it all? No, I am realistic and enlightened, there is a difference.

This is an equal opportunity thread, I do take issue with those who rarely post and hardly ever if they do, never post a current interest political topic with references. WhiskeyGirl cares enough to make that effort, you might not agree with her 'facts' that she posts but she does try to reference facts. I think that makes some uncomfortable.

If you are working in the commercial world, not public sector, at this point in time - it's beyond discouraging. Little team work, a great deal of posturing, everyone feels like they are attempting to do their jobs while standing in quicksand. Then there are the massive amounts of the unemployed. A's and Louise, I believe you live in a state which has one of the highest unemployment rates now as do I. I was at the Food Bank's warehouse yesterday helping to unload donated food, then get it packaged into bags to be distributed to families who do not have enough to eat in this current economy, my daughter joined me in this activity as did two other friends.

If you want to do something positive, then give back and don't complain that Obama is under the microscope that he sought and knew full well would be part of his experience. He used Pelosi's favorite appropriations writer to script the stimulus bill. I expect he's likely regretting that decision now. Another lesson learned, he will have some and so will we.

Remember, this is a time your neighbor could use your support. What have you done lately? We all need to do our part, it will take the largest village ever assembled in the US.

My response had to do with negativity in this forum, nothing more.  Whenever I read here (which is not all that often as time does not permit) all I see are pronouncements that the dollar is going to crash by such and such a date, the country is bowed and broken, and the country will collapse shortly.  Now you may not see these posts as negative, but I do.  And this forum is blanketed with such views multiple times daily.

Political discussion is a cornerstone of democracy and I for one certainly encourage it and engage in it.  Obama and his administration absolutely belong under a microscope and owe it to us be as transparent as possible.  That is not the issue here.  However political discussion must bring to bear a multiplicity of information and critical thinking skills.  Blanket posts criticizing anything and everything an administration does is not political discourse nor is it research.  It is simply an agenda.

I really do not need to be told how bad things are out there and find your assumption puzzling.  I gave up a banking career a couple of years ago after an illness and death in the family to become an entrepreneur in a home based investment business tied to the stock market (great timing, eh).  Many of my friends still work in banking; others are looking for work.  As a single mother of three, two now in high school and one who will graduate college in June I am as invested in this economy and rocked by its challenges as anyone. 

It is easy to bash.  It is much more difficult to look at many angles of complex issues and try to interpret.  In my work I look at a lot of economic data and try to understand it, and I try to look at what the administration is trying to do within that framework.  Of course there are many questions and very serious concerns.  But the problems our country faces are monumental, complex and unprecedented, and so are the proposed policy responses.  And I think what bothers me the most about the negativity here is that these complexities are completely disregarded in favor of the more simple view that everything that is discussed or proposed is just wrong, wrong, wrong.   I don’t dispute any posters’ right to post these things.  I just disagree with the content and “analysis”. 
It is important to note that just because there is a possibility of something happening (such as collapse of the dollar) does not mean it is probable; even probability does not equate to certainty.  Our current situation is full of constantly moving parts, both domestic and global, and that is one of the frustrations of the policymakers trying to get their arms around this.  I don’t believe anyone can accurately predict the outcome under these circumstances.  So the whole “sky is falling Chicken Little” scenario does not do it for me.

Finally, I find it somewhat inappropriate for you to tell posters to get involved, because you are making assumptions about things you have no knowledge of.  I am happy that you are involved, but service was not invented by Obama.  Where I come from community service is performed quietly and humbly as a natural extension of family and parish life and has been for decades.

I apologize for such a long post.  These views are mine alone and I do not expect anyone to agree with them.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 04:40:43 PM »

A's I think you should send much of your commentary direct to Obama, for he's all over the air waves yelling the sky is falling in.

Frankly I find much of your post inappropriate as a result of this, plus FYI, Obama has called his supporters into service. I won't accept having that laid at my feet by you.

As for agenda's, well even Obama has one and he's proving that rapidly. I can object and examine if I choose to do so. Do you read the front page of SM? I think you might find extensive commentary there you would call "inappropriate".

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 09:55:55 PM »

Have you forgotten that living in the United States of America is better than living anywhere else?

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »

No Louise, I haven't. I want the US to learn from our mistakes, not create deeper ones. I remember you posting about liking Mike Huckabee, you need to turn on FOX and listen to what he's saying about this stimulus package.

If you didn't notice Wall Street didn't care much for it either.

Greta van Sustern is a rabid democrat and she's very dissatisfied and doubtful of Obama's choices and stimulus, to include placing a tax evader over the IRS.

It isn't just me, the voices are growing and quickly...........and for the record, despite A's post - one of my largest concerns from the campaign about Obama was his lack of economics applied experience. I posted that we were facing the largest and most complex challenges of our time. I guess she didn't read those posts.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:58 AM »

Nonesuche,

I agree with you that the stimulus package has not been received well. I have heard Huckabee say he is against it, as well as Greta and Wall Street.

I am politics "lite," even though I have my passions. I really don't understand it on a deep level. I think it means Obama wants to send people a check so they will go out and spend it and thus stimulate the economy. What else should I know?

I also don't understand why Geistner evaded taxes and he is now the head of the IRS. It's outrageous. Politics by its very nature is corrupt and has always been thus.

I hope you have a good evening.

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.