April 24, 2024, 08:08:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fires in Australia - death toll going up - PLEASE PRAY  (Read 15703 times)
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »

I will say a prayer today at Mass for your people in Australia. God Bless. JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
mioyshi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 10:32:50 AM »

This story is so tragic, I seem to have few words that could ease this pain.  Lucenda, I feel your love for your friend, and I wish you some healing over his loss.
I will send prayers up in my own smoke for all those dealing with the fires, and the aftermath.
 I remember part of a prayer, " there is no greater love, than when a man gives his life for his friends".  I think this tells who Perry was.  Someone who felt more for others, than his own well being. No wonder you felt such a connection to him.
Please make a safe day....mio
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »

ARSONISTS DONE THIS
they went back after the fire fighters put out each blaze, and relit them.  South Australia is the only state that puts a probation officer right on the arsonist in fire season, and sits outside his residence, waiting.  The other states are now considering doing the same thing.  In Australia, where I am, they call us the back water 
Its like in USA the south are considered the same, behind the times etc.
Well, South Australia is not a back water.  When ever devastation occurs, our fire fighters are there.  We helped NSW, VIC and even California USA. 
My son is a first grade fire fighter, he earned that medal aged 17.  He even had a pager.  Gave it back now he is in WA.  But, thats how great our "backwater" state is.  train young boys up to be fire fighters. 
These Victorian fires were started by lightening, but arsonists flicked a lighter and restarted these fires.  What kind of person could do that?  Well, last year, a mum of two, living a good life, high up in the community etc.  Well, she was caught lighting fires, with her two babies in the back of her car.  Mental people light fires, they get a thrill from it.  Just like murderers, cos they are just the same.
Lucinda I can honestly say that as a Queenslander I have never heard anyone refer to your wonderful state as a backwater. I didn't realise the fires were being relit; that's terrible.

the vics call us the backwaters.  The state thats on fire.  We love to hate each other.  But, we are there helping them out.  Just the same as they would help us out.  Two states in aus who hate each other the most is vic and sa.  Its just due to football tho, its a love/hate relationship, but yes, we are the back water state.  Look it up online. 

Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 11:07:36 AM »

This story is so tragic, I seem to have few words that could ease this pain.  Lucenda, I feel your love for your friend, and I wish you some healing over his loss.
I will send prayers up in my own smoke for all those dealing with the fires, and the aftermath.
 I remember part of a prayer, " there is no greater love, than when a man gives his life for his friends".  I think this tells who Perry was.  Someone who felt more for others, than his own well being. No wonder you felt such a connection to him.
Please make a safe day....mio

thanks mio, your words were so beautiful.  I need to add that russell died in 1983, not in these fires.  Im healed over his death, that happened years ago.  However, I like to keep his life alive when i can.  It makes meaning for his death, if I can reach out to at least one person about bushfires, then, thats all I hope to achieve.  Most bushfires/wildfires are caused by arsonists.  Fires can start naturally, but 90 per cent are self started, or the arsonist will follow the fireies and relight them to restart the panic, then sit home and watch tv about their "great work"  These latest ones, again initially started by natural causes, but arsonists kept them raging. 

anothermonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 11:15:22 AM »

What a tragedy. I hope these sick people are caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law 

Denial- turning people crazy all over the world! 
ccndixie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 11:22:30 AM »

So difficult to understand why people do these hurtful and hateful deeds, like deliberately starting fires.  My thoughts and prayers are with all the people affected by this situation - even half a world away, people are still people.  Keep safe and take care.
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 11:33:05 AM »

thanks monkeys, its devastating.  its going to change the law now on arsonists, and about time too.  Manslaughter maybe even murder charges will be prosecution, heard that on the local news tonight. 

I just cant let go, Im like a dog with a bone for justice.  No matter what the cause, I will defend the underdog, and the victim.

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »

official death toll is now up to 84.  OMG this is so horrible.
Lucinda~I'm so glad you posted russell's article, what a devoted son......any mother would be honored to have such a son. I'm so saddened by the news of these fires and the heartless people that may have had a hand in starting them. I will continue to pray for you and the people of Australia, and pray that these fires will end TODAY! Love and hugs from IM

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
crazybabyborg
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »

ARSONISTS DONE THIS
they went back after the fire fighters put out each blaze, and relit them.  South Australia is the only state that puts a probation officer right on the arsonist in fire season, and sits outside his residence, waiting.  The other states are now considering doing the same thing.  In Australia, where I am, they call us the back water 
Its like in USA the south are considered the same, behind the times etc.
Well, South Australia is not a back water.  When ever devastation occurs, our fire fighters are there.  We helped NSW, VIC and even California USA. 
My son is a first grade fire fighter, he earned that medal aged 17.  He even had a pager.  Gave it back now he is in WA.  But, thats how great our "backwater" state is.  train young boys up to be fire fighters. 
These Victorian fires were started by lightening, but arsonists flicked a lighter and restarted these fires.  What kind of person could do that?  Well, last year, a mum of two, living a good life, high up in the community etc.  Well, she was caught lighting fires, with her two babies in the back of her car.  Mental people light fires, they get a thrill from it.  Just like murderers, cos they are just the same.

What a terrible tragedy, Lucinda!! I don't understand what exists in the hearts of people who would do such a thing! Why, why would anyone want to cause such pain and loss? I'm praying for comfort for those who are facing their losses of loved ones, and for those who have lost homes. I'm also praying that those who are responsible will be found accountable for their actions.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »

Lucinda,I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »

Thoughts and prayers for those in Australia

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »

Australia’s ‘Hell on Earth’ Fires May Burn for Days (Update1)
By Robert Fenner
 Feb. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Australia’s worst bushfires on record left at least 93 people dead and may burn for days as winds fan flames across southern Victoria state.

More than 300,000 hectares (741,316 acres) have been burnt and 700 homes destroyed with eight large blazes still being fought, the state’s Country Fire Authority said on its Web site. Winds of up to 24 knots and scattered showers are forecast for Victoria in the next three days, said the Bureau of Meteorology’s Simon Allen.

“Out there it has been hell on earth,” Victorian Premier John Brumby said yesterday in a televised address. “These fires though are not finished. We have strong winds across the state and the fires will continue to burn for days and communities will continue to be threatened.”

Two weeks of record temperatures and hot northerly gales across the southeast of the continent made conditions over the weekend worse than in February 1983, when 75 people in Victoria and neighboring South Australia died in the so-called Ash Wednesday fires. Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has deployed the nation’s army to help firefighters in Australia’s second-most populous state.

Confirmed deaths totaled 93 late last night, according to the state’s police, a toll exceeding the 71 killed in the Black Friday fires of Jan. 13, 1939, which also occurred in Victoria.

“Police will recommence investigations at daybreak,” Senior Constable Kendra Jackson said in a statement.

Cooler Weather

Firefighters in Victoria and neighboring New South Wales state, where 50 fires burned yesterday, are looking to cooler weather to help fight the blazes. Temperatures in Victoria reached a record 46.4 degrees Celsius (115 degrees Fahrenheit) in Melbourne on Feb. 7 before a southerly front started yesterday to move across Australia’s southeast.

Many of the latest deaths occurred around the towns of Kinglake, St. Andrews and Wandong, about 65 kilometers (40 miles) northeast of the state capital Melbourne, where the fire front stretched to 80 kilometers.

“Kinglake’s ceased to exist for all intents and purposes,” Moray Sharp, a local realtor, told the Age newspaper. “I can’t explain anything other than that it was like a sustained bombing attack, that what it was like with the noise,” said Sharp, who lost his home in the blaze.

The dead include Brian Naylor, who was the top-rated television newsreader in Melbourne for 28 years before retiring to his Kinglake property in 1998.

The nearby town of Marysville, with a population of about 500, has been virtually destroyed with the loss of homes along with its school, pub and police station.

Aid to Victims

Some of the fires may have been deliberately lit, Victorian deputy police commissioner Kieran Walshe told Sky News.

Red Cross staff and volunteers are working at 20 relief centers to support those affected with 3,700 people registered as evacuated.

State and federal governments pledged at least A$10 million ($6.7 million) of rebuilding funds and immediate cash payments to victims. Eligible adults can claim immediate payments of A$1,000 and A$400 for children, with A$22,000 provided to those that have lost their homes.

Federal Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull and his state counterpart Ted Baillieu both pledged bipartisan support for relief efforts. Brumby and Rudd each pledged A$2 million government donations to the state bushfire appeal with National Australia Bank Ltd. and Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. each making A$1 million donations.

An international cricket match between Australia and New Zealand, scheduled for tomorrow in Adelaide, will become a benefit match with proceeds going to fire victims, host broadcaster the Nine network said Sunday.

New South Wales state, which is fighting its own blazes, has sent 255 firefighters, 50 tankers and five paramedics to assist Victoria, Premier Nathan Rees told reporters yesterday.

To contact the reporter on this story: Robert Fenner in Melbourne rfenner@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: February 8, 2009 13:24 EST

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=aMWg_c_YoYEs&refer=australia

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 03:50:38 PM »

108 killed in Australia's worst fire disaster

42 minutes ago

HEALESVILLE, Australia (AP) — A government official says the death toll from Australia's worst wildfire disaster has risen to 108.

Authorities counted more victims overnight Monday as they reached further into a huge zone scorched by blazes that ripped across Victoria state at the weekend.

At least 700 homes had been destroyed in the fires that in some cases have razed entire towns.

State Department of Sustainability and Environment spokesman Geoff Russell said Monday that 108 deaths had been confirmed.

Australia's previous deadliest fires were in 1983, when blazes killed 75 people and destroyed more than 3,000 homes in Victoria and South Australia.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jlUCqDbfvOMgcnOmIjSnqFNni6iQD967JPB00

Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »

Prayers for all involved!
Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 05:23:03 PM »

Poor Australia. My heart goes out to everyone there.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »

Link to the main newspaper in Victoria.  Stories, video and pictures of the devastation.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/

We have many huge bushfires (wildfires) during our summer in all parts of our great continent with great devastation to our forests, bushland, buildings, livestock and wildlife together with human life.  We are also still in the grip of a drought which has continued for some years. The toll of human lives lost in these fires still raging throughout Victoria and NSW are the greatest ever.

Lucinda I have never heard SA referred to as the backwater state - we usually call you "Croweaters".  We also have a "thing" with Victoria as they poach all our best footballers,  but several of our fire crews are on their way across Bass Strait to assist with the fire fighting.  When disaster strikes anywhere we just become all Aussies.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
O4Bull
Monkey Junky

Boycott ALL the Scamthonys THEY are ALL LIARS.

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »

((hugs)) and prayers to our Aussie friends
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »

God Bless Australia~We are all praying for you and justice brought upon those who started these

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:14 AM »

I live in an area of Southern California that's very much affected by brush fires - it seems every year - and I understand a little of the terror these poor people in Australia are having to endure right now. If whole towns are being burned, can authorities in Australia order mandatory evacuations well ahead of the firestorm's arrival? Do the people have no escape route? Is there no way out at all?

There are many heinous crimes that human beings can do against each other but terrorizing thousands of innocent lives, destroying those lives, homes, memories... and to take pleasure in such depravity is way beyond my ability to understand. My brain just can't wrap around the "why."

I try not to spend excess time on thoughts of vengeance but if the punishment were to fit the crime, a mass-murdering arsonist should perhaps be burned at the stake. Just a thought.

Yes, of course, I will pray for those poor people.

Psst... this is my first post at SM even though I've been an off-and-on lurker for some time.

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
Sharon/Tx
Scared Monkey

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 06:02:48 AM »

Gidday Lucinda,  CNN has been updating us on the fires and it is absolutely terrible.  My friend over there said the sheep are burning, cars cannot get away, homes are burning.  Lord, please bless these Aussies with some rain and then good weather.  STOP these fires and the arsonists, PLEASE!  Lucinda, hugs to you and yours!

"Huge waste" Casey. 

Justice for Natalee!
"Joran Vandersloot's evil world is slowly crashing down on his evil soul!"
*****For major cases, you can also report information by calling our toll-free number 1-800-CALLFBI (225-5324).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.