April 26, 2024, 12:03:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fires in Australia - death toll going up - PLEASE PRAY  (Read 15709 times)
sharlock
Scared Monkey

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 06:58:14 AM »

Gidday Lucinda,  CNN has been updating us on the fires and it is absolutely terrible.  My friend over there said the sheep are burning, cars cannot get away, homes are burning.  Lord, please bless these Aussies with some rain and then good weather.  STOP these fires and the arsonists, PLEASE!  Lucinda, hugs to you and yours!
131 people confirmed dead and over 200 being the latest related number by the media fears are that this will increase to over 300, in what is now a disaster four times worse than Ash  Wednesday the terrifying bush firestorms have been the result of over a decade of drought and blistering hot temperatures.
What type of person potentially commits mass murder through arson? There is surprisingly little study on the adults who do this. Below is a link to a report that sheds some light on what drives these twisted individuals.

http://www.bushfirecrc.com/research/downloads/arson%20report.pdf
God I love our Prime Minister Kevin Rudd. To open Centrelink on a Sunday (it has never before opened on a Sunday, this is a first) so that these poor people could get their relief payments of $1000 and $5000 towards every funeral is truly the epitome of the Australian way. People all over Australia are inviting victims and their families to live in their houses and caravans for free. In times of tragedy I feel blessed to be an Australian.

Be the change you want to see in the world~Gandhi
sharlock
Scared Monkey

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2009, 06:58:56 AM »

The final death toll of the devastating "Hell on Earth" bushfires could be well above 200, according to reports of government crisis meetings.
With the official toll standing at 131, the fires are already the worst natural disaster to ever befall Australians.
Some of the fires are still burning, threatening the Glenhope area north of Melbourne and the towns of Beechworth and Yackandandah in the northeast.
The Victorian government has been briefed to expect a final death toll close to 230, according to a report in The Australian.
Police have also found eight bodies at Narbethong, north-west of Melbourne.
"[The death toll] is still likely to climb unfortunately," Country Fire Authority state duty officer Mark Glover said.
PHOTOS: Fatal inferno
YOUR PHOTOS: In the line of fire
A clearly shaken Kevin Rudd has told the Nine Network that if firebugs lit some of the bushfires then they are responsible for "mass murder".
"What do you say about anyone like that — there are no words to describe it other than mass murder."
"The nation should brace itself for a very challenging time ahead," he said. (Watch Rudd's interview)
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon said forensic investigators had begun work in the Churchill region, where police suspect arson was involved.
"At this stage we have a team at the fire at Churchill in the Gippsland Valley, which is certainly one that we believe was deliberately lit," Ms Nixon said.
"Our fire experts and our own investigators have suggested that the way that it happened, how fast that it happened, that there is good evidence to believe that it was lit."
Nixon said investigators were also working in the Kinglake area north of Melbourne, where most of the deaths confirmed so far occurred. (Click to see a map of the fatal fires)

The latest death toll surpasses the toll from the 1983 Ash Wednesday bushfires, in which 75 people died in Victoria and South Australia, and the Black Friday bushfires of 1939, which killed 71.
At least 750 homes were destroyed in the fires and more than 330,000ha burnt out, and authorities say some fires could take weeks to contain.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-fires-kill-14

sharlock
Scared Monkey

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2009, 07:00:59 AM »

God Bless the men and women risking their life to help!

sharlock
Scared Monkey

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2009, 07:02:22 AM »

This is the sort of massive smoke walls that people are trying to drive through to get to safety.

sharlock
Scared Monkey

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 07:16:12 AM »

Source;http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...s-history.html
Raging bushfires that have devastated towns and farmland across southeastern Australia have become the most deadly in the country's history after the death toll reached 76.

Authorities have warned the toll could climb higher as they continue the grim search for bodies in blackened and collapsed houses and charred cars.

It was estimated at least 700 homes had been lost and several townships razed as nine fires ravaged the state in 24 hours of terror that has already been dubbed
Black Saturday

oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:54 AM »

From the coverage of the fire in Australia:

"A dead horse that was trapped by raging fires lays at the side of the road near the community of Kinglake, north east of Melbourne, Australia Monday, Feb. 9, 2009. Officials believe arson may be behind at least some of the more than 400 fires that tore a destructive path across a vast swath of southern Victoria state over the weekend."

It came from a slideshow here:  http://tinyurl.com/alckab

More news coverage here:  http://tinyurl.com/ar2es3

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »

What a  horrible tragedy.  My prayers for an end to the fires and for each one who is affected by this - especially those who have lost loved ones.

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
Scarrlett
Monkey Junky Jr.

To Boldly Go Where No MAN Has Gone Before!

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »

What a  horrible tragedy.  My prayers for an end to the fires and for each one who is affected by this - especially those who have lost loved ones.

Amen Kimmy. And the animals as well. It is so sad and with the loss of human life, the animals take a back seat in all disasters. The horse makes me cry and there is so much more loss that is never counted.

If someone started these fires on purpose, they need to be found!! God already knows. They should be punished to the full extent of your laws.

I really like how the community bans together to fight fire. Just like in the olden days. A fire could destroy your only means to survive so everyone grabs a pail and bails!!

I think it is a marvelous how your son is part of a country wide effort to save it. With trucks and hoses now.

If you take care of God's creatures; He will take care of you.
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 11:17:24 PM »

This is the sort of massive smoke walls that people are trying to drive through to get to safety.

OMG - this is absolutely terrible.   I continue to pray for the fire fighters, and your country, and for everyone's safety. 
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2009, 11:44:29 PM »

Bringing forward the link I provided.  It is updated regularly so will give you the latest news available on the situation.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/

This pic is typical of Australians helping Australians.  Normally this Koala would be too wild to approach like this.  CFA Firefighters are all volunteers.  Many were out fighting fires in other areas while their own homes burned to the ground.  The extreme winds and the additional force created by the intense heat of the fires made the fire fronts move too rapidly to estimate when and where they would reach.  There are no mandatory evacuations here but people were strongly advised to leave their homes early and seek shelter in safer areas.  Many chose to stay and defend their homes,property and animals.  There are already discussions as to the enactment of new laws to force evacuations whenever deemed necessary.  Too late for so many.

Mirboo North volunteer CFA firefighter David Tree gives water to a distressed koala in burnt-out country in Mirboo North, Gippsland, in Victoria's east. Picture: Russell Vickery/Herald Sun.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 06:53:20 PM by San » Logged

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
PookyBear
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 05:15:50 AM »

Sharlock -- thank you for all the news here --

I am praying for all Aussie's (did I say that right?) who are near these fires.  May those who are fighting the fires be given the strength do to do their jobs, all those who are in the line of the fires may they find safety and all those who have lost loved ones may they be comforted by our Lord at this time. 

Lucinda -- I am thinking of you and would love to hear from you to know you are okay. 
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 06:21:04 AM »

My husband left this afternoon to go with a local team we have here.  My husband is a volunteer.  he will be doing humanity work, and that involves making sure the fire fighters get drinks of water, helping the red cross dish out the clothing and blankets.  the army has set up tents, and donations are so appreciated.  I donated 50 dollars, but thats all i could afford.  i went thru my linen closet, and I dont have single beds here, so i washed all my single bed sheets and quilt covers.  They need clean stuff, not peoples junk.  I have also donated a lot of clothes that I have too much of, and shoes.  They need anything, and if anyone can make sure they send clean stuff, and label the bag of what is in it, makes the red cross job so much easier.  It makes a big difference.  Last night I watched an interview with a young father, and cried my eyes out.  He packed his two young children into the car, returned briefly to the home to get something, and returned to find his car had exploded from the heat.  His children died in a split second.  Its just so tragic 

Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 06:32:52 AM »

the death toll is 173, and they are saying it will reach over 300.  A makeshift morgue has been set up, just tents with dry ice.  A lot of bodies wont be identified, just because of the fact they are fragments of bones.  There are some heart warming stories tho.  After 3 days, a husband and wife were reunited.  Just what do you do in this situation?
The ones saving their homes died, the ones escaping died.  It is the worst disaster in australias whole history.   

Sharon/Tx
Scared Monkey

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 06:37:57 AM »

I was just checking on Lucinda and see that you posted and are ok, thank goodness.  Oh the pictures and what we are seeing are so sad and shocking.  This is like watching some horror movie but......... unfortunately it is real and a real person started it.  That is a horror in itself.  We're praying for you over here!  Rain, please rain, pretty please rain!

"Huge waste" Casey. 

Justice for Natalee!
"Joran Vandersloot's evil world is slowly crashing down on his evil soul!"
*****For major cases, you can also report information by calling our toll-free number 1-800-CALLFBI (225-5324).
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2009, 06:53:15 AM »

I was just checking on Lucinda and see that you posted and are ok, thank goodness.  Oh the pictures and what we are seeing are so sad and shocking.  This is like watching some horror movie but......... unfortunately it is real and a real person started it.  That is a horror in itself.  We're praying for you over here!  Rain, please rain, pretty please rain!

Hi Sharon, the fires are not near me.  I am In South Australia, the fires are in Victoria.  You are so sweet to ask about me.  But our state is fine.  Today, in the South Australian hills, about a 40 minute drive from me, an arsonist lit a fire, but it got put out quickly.  We, as in Victoria have a lovely cool change.  Next week, however, scorching temps are predicted, and unfortunately, arsonists will be in their element.  Victoria and South Australia have a dry heat.  During summer, we get up to 122 f. and have gale forced hot north winds.  It is awful, and even a bit of glass thrown out in scrub can cause these fires.  However, arsonists are to blame for these latest deaths.  Well, I cant put my life on it, but wait and see.  Arsonists have already been blamed for wiping out an entire town and causing 100 deaths.  Im fine, love you for asking about me sharon

Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 07:00:35 AM »

I also would like to send out prayers to far north queensland (also in australia), they are going thru devastating floods.  people are losing their homes, and under their own devastation, all their relief money to help them, they have turned around and donated to the families in the victorian bushfires.  Thats real aussie mateship, you cant beat aussie mateship, the floods in qld are devasting, but the ones there who have lost their homes, donated their last dollar to help Victoria.  We Aussies stick together no matter what. 

Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 07:26:09 AM »

Latest update, con artists are knocking door to door under the pretence they are collecting for the victorian bushfire appeal.  Any Aussies who read in here, dont give a cent to door to door knockers and collecters.  red cross have even donated their admin fees, so 100 per cent of your donation will go straight to the appeal.  Just donate thru red cross.  if I get a knocker at my door pretending to take collections, I will ask for their id, and check it out.  I will not give money to door knockers.  Looters, scabs, just as bad as the arsonists, All Australians be aware.  Dont donate to door to door collecters.  Far out, how low can some people get? 

PookyBear
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »

Latest update, con artists are knocking door to door under the pretence they are collecting for the victorian bushfire appeal.  Any Aussies who read in here, dont give a cent to door to door knockers and collecters.  red cross have even donated their admin fees, so 100 per cent of your donation will go straight to the appeal.  Just donate thru red cross.  if I get a knocker at my door pretending to take collections, I will ask for their id, and check it out.  I will not give money to door knockers.  Looters, scabs, just as bad as the arsonists, All Australians be aware.  Dont donate to door to door collecters.  Far out, how low can some people get? 

I will pray for your husband and thank him for being so kind and giving up his time to help.  As far as low, I think my eyes have been opened more than I wanted them to lately.  I am discusted by human kind so often lately but I am also so touched by those who are caring.
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »

I will pray for your husband and thank him for being so kind and giving up his time to help.  As far as low, I think my eyes have been opened more than I wanted them to lately.  I am discusted by human kind so often lately but I am also so touched by those who are caring.

thanks pooks.  He will do seven days.  He is not fighting the fires, he is totally safe, just helping out.  So many Aussies are there helping out, and giving all they can.  When he comes home, Im hoping I can go there to help also.  Its an aussie thing.  We stick together like glue.  We might fight over football, but thats the beauty of it all.  When the chips are down, and tragedy happens, every australian will be there and more to support out fellow aussie.  Makes me proud to be an australian.

Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »

edit to add, the scumbags, looters, and fake door knockers trying to make money from this.  Every country has scumbags.  Im waiting for the knock on my door claiming donations.  I want id, then will make a phone call, if he is a SCAB, I will punch him very hardly in the face.  The cops will already be called by me.  I just will not tolerate scumbags making money from tragedies. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.