March 19, 2024, 02:13:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO QUIT SMOKING? HAVE YOU ALREADY QUIT? Tell your story!  (Read 136450 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: February 11, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »

Seems like we have alot of members that want to quit smoking.   I have never been one to tell others what they should do and I know that I never listened to people telling ME to quit.  It's something each person needs to be ready to do.

Anyway I did manage to quit after going to the hospital with respiratory failure.  I could have gone back to smoking when i got back home from the hospital but decided it was as good a time as any to quit and my life depended upon it.  See I chose life over smoking and inablility to breathe.

Background - I started smoking some at around age 19 but didn't really get serious I'd say until my mid 20's.  By then I was up to a pack a day and by the time I was 30 up to 2 packs a day.  So 2 packs a day for approximately 28 years and nearly 40 years smoking.

When I went into the hospital I was going through nicotine withdrawals and they put me on the patch.  That is was I continued to use when got home, went to the lower dose then finally after approximately 2 months or so completely patch free.  This was on May 1, 2008 and I haven't had a cigarette since and neither has my husband.  He quit cold turkey, no patch or anything (jerk). 

I did gain about 20 pound2 but at the time I was about 5 pounds underweight so I only have about 15 pounds to lose.  I'm working on that now and losing slowly but surely.

I am breathing better than I have in probably 10-15 years.  It's the best thing I've every done for myself.  If you had asked me a year ago if I could quit I would have said NO. 

If I can do it anyone can.  It just has to be the right time for you!
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:56:12 PM »

Seems like we have alot of members that want to quit smoking.   I have never been one to tell others what they should do and I know that I never listened to people telling ME to quit.  It's something each person needs to be ready to do.

Anyway I did manage to quit after going to the hospital with respiratory failure.  I could have gone back to smoking when i got back home from the hospital but decided it was as good a time as any to quit and my life depended upon it.  See I chose life over smoking and inablility to breathe.

Background - I started smoking some at around age 19 but didn't really get serious I'd say until my mid 20's.  By then I was up to a pack a day and by the time I was 30 up to 2 packs a day.  So 2 packs a day for approximately 28 years and nearly 40 years smoking.

When I went into the hospital I was going through nicotine withdrawals and they put me on the patch.  That is was I continued to use when got home, went to the lower dose then finally after approximately 2 months or so completely patch free.  This was on May 1, 2008 and I haven't had a cigarette since and neither has my husband.  He quit cold turkey, no patch or anything (jerk). 

I did gain about 20 pound2 but at the time I was about 5 pounds underweight so I only have about 15 pounds to lose.  I'm working on that now and losing slowly but surely.

I am breathing better than I have in probably 10-15 years.  It's the best thing I've every done for myself.  If you had asked me a year ago if I could quit I would have said NO. 

If I can do it anyone can.  It just has to be the right time for you!

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »

I want to add that Chantrix scared me so for me it was never an option to try. I've known a couple of people that quit using Chantrix and besides the weird dreams, they both ended up having heart attacks.  I don't know if the Chantrix had anything to do with it but scared me none the less.

I tried hypnotism in the 80's, that was laughable.  Had tried the patch before but I wasn't ready to quit so it didn't work.  Tried that other pill (starts with a "Z" I don't remember now what it was) but it made me feel "crazy" and I stopped it right away, that was in the 90's.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:22:22 PM »

GREAT IDEA FOR A THREAD, KLAAS!!! I'm here in need..............
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »

My husband , son and daughter in law and myself all quit at the same time...Nov. 7th...we went to the American Lung Assn stop smoking meetings. This was a big help for us....check your local health department.  It was NOT easy. I slipped the morning I lost my little canine child Jake, December 6th.....my heart was broken and I fell back on my old faithful crutch..the first one tasted  was like greeting a long lost friend, the second one didn't taste nearly as good...the third one was awful....I threw the pack away...slapped a patch on my arm for another week, then a step 2 the next week and by the end of the second week I know I was OK again. Even now when I am stressed I think oh I'd love a cigarette....but the thought leaves quickly. Like Klaas I gained some weight...15 lbs...but only have 4 more to go to be back at my normal weight. It has been worth it.....my blood pressure pills have been reduced. I am back at the gym and I DON'T STINK of cigarette smoke anymore. My complexion is bright and clear. I smoked a pack every 2-3 days for the past 40 years and never thought I could quit.......If I can do it ANYONE can....but it has to be when YOU are ready.....I was ready.

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 10:45:16 PM »

I tried quitting back in 2003 after my husband had a heart attack (minor).  I used the patch and followed it to a tee for 90 days.  Picked up cigs again after the patch came off. Gained 15 pounds and had a hard time losing it.  I woke up the other morning tired from coughing and having head aches and told my husband "the time is now".  I pulled out my tread mill and starting walking a mile a night, started eating properly and once I get some weight off and get to feeling a little bit healthy I am going to try it again.  Hopefully soon.

Edited by poster request.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:49:49 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 11:19:06 PM »

I started smoking in my teens. I quit when I got pregnant with my children but alway started back up again. After my 3rd daughter was born, since she was a premie, I could not take her around the public for 6 months. During that time I began smoking again. I will also add that a family member had a serious health problem and that stressed me out too. So after having gone about 7 years with no smoking, I started it up again. Not around my baby, but I was a sneaky closet smoker.

As the years passed, it seemed like I was smoking more and more and when I quit, I know I was smoking at least 2 packs per day, probably more on some days.

In 2005 I had a heart attack and found I have hardening of the arteries which is highly unusual for a person my age. I think it is genetics. The smoking was making a bad health issue even worse. They told me to quit smoking, but I didn't. Sounds nuts now, but I was hooked.

Then one day I made some decisions:
1. I wanted fresh breath!
2. I hated the smell of my clothing (and the fact that my daughter, who did not smoke, had smokey smelling clothes) because of me.
3. My Dr. said it was not a question of if I would have another heart attack, it was when. She said I was a timebomb.
4. I was tired of feeling unhappy with myself about smoking.
5. I realized I have health issues and smoking was bad for me, really bad and I want to live.
6. They found some nodules in my lungs and they have been watching them every 6 months.
7. I was visiting my g daughter (when I smoked) and I saw her put her crayon up to her mouth and act like she was smoking it. I decided I wanted to set a good example for her.
8. I have had bronchitis and pneumonia numerous times. I was one of those who did not quit when I was sick.
9. When Drs office and hospitals asked if I smoked, I hated saying yes! I love saying NO now!
10. Smoking is an expensive habit and I decided I did not want it to rule my life.

I quit smoking on 9/12 2 years ago, I think it was.
You all who smoke, quit fooling yourselves. Smoking does cause what they warn you about in some people. There is a very good chance it will shorten your life. You could get the bad things smoking can give you just as easily as others.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 11:21:57 PM »

I forgot to add. I could not have done it, I don't think, without the patch.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
hotping
Monkey Junky

All Prayers Will Be Answered in Time!

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 12:07:18 AM »

I'm a smoker...I'm seriously thinking about quitting....Can anyone tell Me the side effects that were experienced on the patch...I have always been easily medicated and I Am Very Scared of taking any kind of drugs.....TIA

In God We Trust!
Prayers Will Bring Natalee Home!
May 2010 Bring Natalee Home to Rest In Peace!
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 06:50:12 AM »

Ok - this is O/T but Klass - I would have thought you were my age(42)! Man that sounded cruel!    But I wanted to say you wear your age well. And thanks for sharing your story! 

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Scarrlett
Monkey Junky Jr.

To Boldly Go Where No MAN Has Gone Before!

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »

My Experience Strength and Hope.
Started smoking with my girlfriends at age 14.

At 26 I got pregnant and used Barclay. A low nicotine cig. Justified that totally to myself. I DID not drink but as soon as he was born I put him on a bottle so I could party. Lord. And smoking came back with all of that.

Fast-forward  and I was 45 and I live in the woods. I had the wheel barrel out and was moving rocks around. All of a sudden I couldn't catch my breath and I was seeing white with black dots. My ears were ringing and then I realise I am on my knees and feel dizzy and sick. I thought I was gonna die right there and worried my son and husband would come home and find me dead. Now I am scared. This is the time to take action. Fear is a good motivator.

I have no insurance for drugs and patches and hate that sort of thing because I am 98 lbs. at this time. Stuff like that hits me hard also.
Now Klaas found hypnosis laughable but I went to a private session. NOT group hypnosis. That I find funny too.

His name is Dr. Eric Boyles. The man saved my life. You can call your hospital and they can direct you to a reputable person. I purchased 3 sessions for 75.00.
I went with my cigs. on the front seat with every intention of smoking when this was over. ALL ALONE I went into the office.{usually my pack and lighter were attached to me}
He evaluated me first to see IF he would help me. Some little finger games and such. I was good to go.  He turned on the babbling brook{I choose} and sat back in a nice leather chair with gentle massage. In my interview I told him I was scared I was going to die and my son would be all alone when he would need me most.

We begin and he speaks of me looking out this huge window. The sun is shining and it is a beautiful day. The birds are there and deer. A light breeze is in the air filled with the fragrance of the hills. He then at some point has me look back through the window. The room is huge and the sun is shining on the polished hardwood floors. It has such a warm feeling to it. The big windows are opened and the white silk curtains dance with the sweet breeze. As I look closer, in the middle of the room is a bunch of equipment around something. I turn back a lot to see the wonder in the fields and am drawn to go back outside to feel the sun on my face. I don't want to be there inside.He keeps talking and as I approach the stuff, I see a hospital bed. In the bed is an unrecognizable figure. Tubes and sounds of beeps. Annoying sounds. Interfering with the beauty of the birds voice. I hate it here. It smells foul. I get closer and closer. Then I see                It is me

Some time goes by and I look up, see Dr.Boyles and feel pretty good. I don't know why but I trust this man. I smugly say I am sorry I couldn't be put under. He asks me how long do you think you have been here. I say 20 minutes. He says one and a half hours!! Blew my mind.

Got in my car. Went home. Planned on smoking. Did not. Went for one more session and never looked back. I also am a recovering alcoholic for 11 years at the time so I had success and used suggestions from AA.

I changed my routine. I woke up and had tea in the laundry room. Washing the cloth washing the cloths. Was going to exercise. NOT!! I would make deals with myself like, After I  clean the closet and If I still feel like it I'll have one. Never happened. I would get so side tracked that by the time I thought of another smoke I was too pleased with myself for not smoking before, that I would just want to protect that smoke-free time. Soooooo,Paint your bedroom. And on and on.

You can also ask a higher power to help. I ask God to keep the desire to drink,drug and smoke away from me today. As soon as I open my eyes. Starting the day with a positive thought is helpful. Maybe not right away. But keep doing it. Every day. It will help wash that dirty part of our brain that wants to smoke. It can be done. YES it can and Will.

If you take care of God's creatures; He will take care of you.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »

Ok - this is O/T but Klass - I would have thought you were my age(42)! Man that sounded cruel!    But I wanted to say you wear your age well. And thanks for sharing your story! 

Thanks!  I am in fact older than DIRT! 
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 11:46:15 AM »

Klaas,this thread is great. 
I love reading everybody's posts.
I started smoking when I was 15.We all grew up on the river,and that's what we did when we were fishing.
For years I never thought about the smell or the health hazards.
When I had my Grandkids I cut back and tried to quit.I never could.When my son died it was like I finally saw the light.I had talked to him about addiction for years,and in the end the addiction won.
Long story short..I had an addiction myself and I wanted to live and enjoy life.So turned it over to a higher power and it was over.I have had a couple of smokes in 3 years and it made me sick.I considered that a tap on the shoulder.I still have times when I'm sitting out on my deck in my swing that a faint craving will come and I get some gum or hard candy and that helps.I have gained weight.I need to lose about 20lbs,so i'm using the treadmill.Being smoke free is great.   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
crazybabyborg
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 02:31:53 PM »

I'm a smoker...I'm seriously thinking about quitting....Can anyone tell Me the side effects that were experienced on the patch...I have always been easily medicated and I Am Very Scared of taking any kind of drugs.....TIA

hotping, I quit with the patch, and was smoke free for 4 years. Like an idiot, I picked them back up. Don't think you can have just one..............there is no such thing, for me, anyway.

There were no side effects for me with the patch, but I will say that a few people do experience unusual dreams with them. Knowing that, I just didn't put a fresh one on at night, but did first thing in the morning.

The first three days with the patch is the hardest, but I think that's the hardest time no matter what you use. Water is your friend, and will help rid your body of the nicotine. Excercise helps. FOR ME, it helped being around people who were smoking during that time. I got a little second hand smoke that way........  Gum helped, too.

I gained weight and honestly kind of gave myself permission to while I focused on quitting. I lost the weight with the same focus, after cigarettes were no longer part of my thinking.

Now, I have put the weight back on and am smoking too!   

For me, the negative stuff others tell you isn't helpful. I felt I was doing something wrong, and I said a lot of prayers. I will say, it was easier than I imagined it would be. You can do it Hotping. You really can. I talked to myself a lot during those first three days, and made a point to say good things. 

Blue moon, I'm thinking along your lines.....................

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »

Hotping - I had no side affects from the patch.  The patch has been around forever and is very safe.  If you are concerned you can go with the lower dose patch than they recomment for you.  Actually when I was in the hospital they put me on the lower dose patch and since it was working I continued with that.  If you went by the guidelings on the Patch website I would should have gone with the highest dose patch. 

So to recap - no side affects

Patch comes in these doses

21mg (for people that smoke more than 10 cigarrettes a day)
14mg (for people less than 10 a day) Even though I was smoking over 2 packs a day this is what I used
7mg (to wean yourself off slowly)

Keep some nicorette gum around too just in case.

http://www.nicodermcq.com/Quit_Place_Dose.aspx

NOTE:  The stores make generic patches now and that is what I used, they are less expensive.  I actually prefer the skin tone patches to the clear ones the name brand of patches comes in.

hotping
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Hotping - I had no side affects from the patch.  The patch has been around forever and is very safe.  If you are concerned you can go with the lower dose patch than they recomment for you.  Actually when I was in the hospital they put me on the lower dose patch and since it was working I continued with that.  If you went by the guidelings on the Patch website I would should have gone with the highest dose patch. 

So to recap - no side affects

Patch comes in these doses

21mg (for people that smoke more than 10 cigarrettes a day)
14mg (for people less than 10 a day) Even though I was smoking over 2 packs a day this is what I used
7mg (to wean yourself off slowly)

Keep some nicorette gum around too just in case.

http://www.nicodermcq.com/Quit_Place_Dose.aspx

NOTE:  The stores make generic patches now and that is what I used, they are less expensive.  I actually prefer the skin tone patches to the clear ones the name brand of patches comes in.

OMG....You Monkeys are Great Motivators.....I think that I have a plan.....I have A membership at Curves and Have not been going for various reasons but I Am going to start Curves Again and Go on the patch at the same time that way hopefully I will not Gain to much weight....I Am 5'1" Tall and Weight about 130lbs now.....I just can't stand the thought of gaining 10lb much less 15 or 20.....My Hubby is also a Smoker and is trying to get His mind right about quitting.....So maybe if We do it together it will work...
Back in the 90's We got Hypnotized and it worked for Me for about 6 mos. and for Him about 2 days..lol....So I'm off to CVS to see about the patches and the gum and then to Curves to get Remeasured and Start all of this in the morning.....Please Pray for Us Monkeys...And Thank You to Each of You for the Encouragement..... I think when My 5 year old Grandson said to Me as I was smoking.....Meemaw those Cigarettes are not good for You.....is when I really knew that I had to try to stop....Thanks Again Monkeys You All Are the Best!   

In God We Trust!
hotping
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »

Klaas

I just checked The CVS Pharmacy Website and They have the CVS and the Nicoderm patches on sale right now...Yippeee......Wish Me Luck!

In God We Trust!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »

Klaas

I just checked The CVS Pharmacy Website and They have the CVS and the Nicoderm patches on sale right now...Yippeee......Wish Me Luck!

Great news Hotping!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »

Well, this is like smoking anonymous....I will probably give a statement.  Let's say I have a history.        

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:59 PM »

Well, this is like smoking anonymous....I will probably give a statement.  Let's say I have a history.        

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.