March 19, 2024, 02:37:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOME COMPUTER HEALTH - TOOLS  (Read 105044 times)
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »

I need some help...please!

I was using IE...and it kept lagging crashing
I then switched to Mozilla/Firefox....still lagging and crashing
Switched to Google Chrome, which I really like (it is user friendly, in my opinion)

The message comes up...Google Chrome crashed...and it shows that the add on Shockwave Flash caused it to crash.

I have deleted and reinstalled Adobe Shockwave....and Adobe Flash several times and it keeps happening. Frankly, I am not finding the words Shockwave Flash used together anywhere except in my crash info.

I just used Malware Bytes and it found nothing.

I switched from AVG antivirus to Avast...AVG found a trojan a couple of weeks ago...but did not turn up anything since, and Avast said all was okay.

Anybody else have troubles with Shockwave/Flash? I play some games on FB and they require Adobe Flash to work.

I hope someone answers this because I'm having the same problem!

Leroy, if you found a solution please come back here and let me know...thanks!

I have tried uninstall SF and used an earlier version but eventually my games won't work until I install the upgraded version. Google/chrome does auto updates, I think...

I have read that their are known issues with SF and have read steps to take to try and help but they are way too technical for me to understand or attempt. I expected to find a fix/patch and download it and be on my merry way. That has not happened.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
scrappysniffer
Scared Monkey

« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »

I am not to smart when it comes to some of the computer applications etc.
so I will ask all the smart Monkies here! 

The icons, "monkey faces, rhino, pig"...they are all so cute and appear above the message box. How do you get them to post?

I posted my message and then clicked on one of the icons...and instead of the figure I got the words in quotes.  No cute monkey!

I have a Macbook Pro...the first one I have owned, and only have had it for 5 months...so any help would be appreciated!

Thank fine Monkies!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2011, 11:49:33 PM »

I am not to smart when it comes to some of the computer applications etc.
so I will ask all the smart Monkies here! 

The icons, "monkey faces, rhino, pig"...they are all so cute and appear above the message box. How do you get them to post?

I posted my message and then clicked on one of the icons...and instead of the figure I got the words in quotes.  No cute monkey!

I have a Macbook Pro...the first one I have owned, and only have had it for 5 months...so any help would be appreciated!

Thank fine Monkies!

If you simply click on them when when you have your comment screen up they will go into your text box.  Go ahead and test it and you will see. 
scrappysniffer
Scared Monkey

« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2011, 09:59:48 PM »

this is a test to see if the icon will appear
scrappysniffer
Scared Monkey

« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »

Thanks Klaasend it worked this time.  One of my previous posts, the icon did not appear, just the words describing the icon.  Thank you again!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »

Thanks Klaasend it worked this time.  One of my previous posts, the icon did not appear, just the words describing the icon.  Thank you again!

Now you can use the icons!    I would be so lost with out them.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »

Not exactly tools, but this article has some helpful info in it. I've only posted highlights from the article, you many want to read the entire article at the link below for more detail. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/technology/personaltech/tips-for-avoiding-user-errors-with-computers.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1
Make Sure the Problem Is Not in Your Chair
September 28, 2011

If you use your laptop on your lap, or leave it plugged in all the time, you may well be cruising for what some experts call Picnic (Problem in Chair Not in Computer) or ID-10t (idiot) errors — computer problems caused by clueless users. Technical support professionals say these errors are responsible for at least half of all computer repairs.
 ::snipping2::
A classic mistake, Mr. Meister said, is using a laptop on your lap. Despite the name, a laptop should be operated on a flat and firm surface so that it rests on the four little nubs usually found on the base. A lap desk or even a large enough book will suffice. The point is to allow air to circulate around the machine.

Letting a laptop rest on your thighs — or worse, sink into a cushy comforter — prevents internal heat from radiating outward and can block air intake vents. This causes overheating, a major cause of component failure in computers. Using a laptop on a less-than-flat surface can also put the hard drive at an awkward angle, which can also cause damage.
Speaking of the hard drive, don’t walk around with your laptop while the hard drive is active, because its actuator arm, which skitters over the surface reading or saving data, could bump into the drive’s fragile and finicky magnetic memory material. Many modern laptops have gyroscopes that shut down the hard drive when they sense movement, but that sometimes doesn’t happen fast enough to prevent harm.

“A lot of people close the lid on their laptop and throw it in their case without making sure the hard drive has shut down completely,” said Chris Kramer, director of technical support for Micro Center, a chain of 23 computer and electronics stores that has its headquarters in Hilliard, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus.
Another common user error is leaving a laptop plugged in all the time.

“A lot of people use their laptops as a desktop,” said Kevin Dane, executive director of product quality and reliability for Dell, the computer manufacturer. “Leaving it plugged in all the time diminishes the battery life and degrades its performance.” Batteries, like muscles, atrophy if not exercised. Unplugging your laptop once in a while, say two to three times per week, is enough to keep the battery fit.

It’s also not a good idea to drain your battery completely and not recharge it for extended periods.

Leaving a battery uncharged for a long time can cause a degradation of its chemicals, said M. Stanley Whittingham, professor of chemistry and materials science at State University of New York at Binghamton. “If you treat batteries nicely by using them and not exposing them to extreme temperatures, they can last forever.”
When transitioning from the grid to battery power, computer manufacturers and repair professionals suggest pulling out the power cord by the end piece, not by the line. Tugging the line can stress both the cord’s wiring and the pinlike contact points within the computer. And, of course, make sure the laptop is unplugged before dashing off with it to the next room or to a meeting
Dust can also cause problems, though that is a bigger concern for stationary desktops, particularly if they are kept in areas with pets, smokers and carpeting. “I took the case off a Mac Pro recently that my co-worker complained was slowing down and freezing up and found about a half inch of dust inside,” Mr. Williams said.

The problem was that the machine was near a paper shredder. “I guess it was really adding to the dust load in a room,” said Mr. Williams, who removed the dust with a hose attached to a standard vacuum cleaner. “It worked fine after that.”

Experts recommend cleaning out desktop and laptop computers at least once a year (every six months if the machine is in a really dusty environment) by taking them into repair centers for a thorough cleaning or by removing the outer case and using a gentle vacuum, compressed air, tweezers or cotton swabs to remove dust bunnies.
Never use standard household cleaners on or even near computers. The chemicals — and even the fumes — can seep into crevices and cause corrosion.

Picnic error can happen with software as well. While most people know not to download anything from a suspect source, repair technicians say that people frequently install an antivirus program on new computers when one has been already loaded, usually by the manufacturer.

“So you’ve got two programs trying to do the same task running in the background,” said Mr. Kramer from the Micro Center. “The computer slows down and gets jerky and can even freeze up.”

Finally, most experts advise shutting down computers every few days to clear out the cache and short-term memory, set off routine system maintenance chores, and install and update software that might have been downloaded while the computer was in use.

Moreover, restarting a computer often fixes mysterious glitches. “There’s a reason it’s the first thing they tell you to do when you call technical support,” said Mr. Williams, the consultant in Decatur. “It works.”

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »

I don't have time to read back to see if this was posted, if so, Mods feel free to delete.  However, I had this problem and found the solution thanks to Wreck and Janet!  This happened when I was quoting a post longer than the shown box.  It would jump up to only the viewable area.

Re: Lisa Irwin #6 11/02/11
« Reply #889 on: November 15, 2011, 11:05:47 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Titch on November 15, 2011, 09:42:53 PM
Somebody not embody. My phone screen is jumping again. Sorry.

Titch

The following baby step instructions were afforded to me by Wreck when I had the "jumping" problem.

Janet

+++++

wreck
Re: Natalee Case Discussion #832 4/22/10 - 6/2/10
« Reply #705 on: May 17, 2010, 01:46:40 AM »

In IE8 - go to "TOOLS" - scroll down to "Compatibility View Settings". Click on it and a box will pop up --the put a checkmark in "Display all websites in comptibility view"

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=7363.msg1134689#msg1134689

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
pharlap
Monkey Junky

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »

My pc for some reason won't install Firefox's update. 
It downloads it, but stalls after when it goes to apply it...

Any ideas????   

CA = Albatross     Oh no "the fog"           
pharlap
Monkey Junky

« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2012, 10:08:32 AM »

Ok, I d/l firefox 10 from chrome then installed.  Weird but works fine.

CA = Albatross     Oh no "the fog"           
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230170/Security_experts_push_free_Gauss_detection_tools
Security experts push free Gauss detection tools
Tools sniff for surveillance malware's custom font, which may hint at a 'zero-day' exploit

August 10, 2012

Computerworld - Two security organizations have released online tools that let Windows users check for possible infections by Gauss, the newly-revealed cyber surveillance malware thought to have been built by one or more governments.

Kaspersky Lab and the Laboratory of Cryptography and System Security (CrySys) at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics each published Gauss detection tools today.

Gauss, Kaspersky said yesterday, is a sophisticated threat that monitors financial transactions with Middle Eastern banks, perhaps as part of a wider investigation into the funding of terrorist groups. Kaspersky believes that Gauss was built by or under the auspices of a government, in large part because of coding practices that resemble those used in Flame, an advanced spying and data-stealing toolkit that targeted Iranian computers.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2012, 07:06:03 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/260735/gauss_malware_what_you_need_to_know.html
Gauss Malware: What You Need to Know
August 10, 2012

Another day, another scary computer virus tearing through the Middle East. The latest piece of malware is called Gauss, and it's designed to steal bank account credentials while gathering as much information about the infected machines as possible.

Should the new Gauss malware be of concern to the average PC user? Probably not, but it never hurts to bone up on the basics anyway:

What's unique about Gauss?

Gauss is cut from the same cloth as the Flame malware that spread through Iran and the Middle East earlier this year, and is reminiscent of the infamous Stuxnet worm. But unlike those instruments of cyber-warfare, Gauss' main purpose is to target banking information from Lebanese banks as well as Citibank and PayPal, according to Kaspersky. The purpose of this targeting is likely espionage, rather than theft.

Which operating systems does Gauss infect?

Gauss primarily infects 32-bit versions of Windows, though a separate spy module for USB drives can collect information from 64-bit systems. Infections are mainly split between Windows 7 and Windows XP, although some of the Gauss modules don't work against Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Mac and Linux machines appear to be safe.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414191,00.asp
How to Disable Java
Java is a handy, cross-platform language that's been mightily abused by hackers. With the discovery of a new Java vulnerability that affects even the most up-to-date version, many experts advise everyone to simply disable Java. Here's how.
January 11, 2013

Java was once touted as the "write once, run anywhere" language. In theory, a single Java program could run on any Java-supporting platform. That dream never quite came to perfection, though, and these days Java is a favorite attack vector for hackers. The Flashback Trojan breached Macintosh computers via a Java vulnerability last year, for example. In August, researchers at FireEye reported another zero-day vulnerability in Java. The most recent Java vulnerability affects all versions of Java 7, including the most current version. Unless you absolutely need it, you should disable Java now.
Fortunately, Oracle offers a Web page with straightforward instructions on how to turn off Java.
More...

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »

For those that have been using and liking iGoogle as their home page, as you know it will be going away come November 2013.  I have been testing different HOME PAGES trying to find one that I like best. 

Protopage.com is good, but the free one ends up being a pain after 30 days it starts placing ADS on your home page unless you pay over $2 per month (I won't pay for a home page). 

Now I trying NetVibes.  So far I like it.  It's very similar to iGoogle or Protopage but it's not supposed to pull that AD stuff.  So we shall see.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »

For those that have been using and liking iGoogle as their home page, as you know it will be going away come November 2013.  I have been testing different HOME PAGES trying to find one that I like best. 

Protopage.com is good, but the free one ends up being a pain after 30 days it starts placing ADS on your home page unless you pay over $2 per month (I won't pay for a home page). 

Now I trying NetVibes.  So far I like it.  It's very similar to iGoogle or Protopage but it's not supposed to pull that AD stuff.  So we shall see.

Please keep us posted on your home page research, Klaas.  I was disappointed when I saw iGoogle would be going away and it would be great to find something interesting (and free) to replace it with.  I wouldn't want to pay for a home page. 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »

Test
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »

I need some help...please!

I was using IE...and it kept lagging crashing
I then switched to Mozilla/Firefox....still lagging and crashing
Switched to Google Chrome, which I really like (it is user friendly, in my opinion)

The message comes up...Google Chrome crashed...and it shows that the add on Shockwave Flash caused it to crash.

I have deleted and reinstalled Adobe Shockwave....and Adobe Flash several times and it keeps happening. Frankly, I am not finding the words Shockwave Flash used together anywhere except in my crash info.

I just used Malware Bytes and it found nothing.

I switched from AVG antivirus to Avast...AVG found a trojan a couple of weeks ago...but did not turn up anything since, and Avast said all was okay.

Anybody else have troubles with Shockwave/Flash? I play some games on FB and they require Adobe Flash to work.

I hope someone answers this because I'm having the same problem!

Me too windows 8

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.