March 18, 2024, 11:17:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO QUIT SMOKING? HAVE YOU ALREADY QUIT? Tell your story!  (Read 136446 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2009, 02:01:27 PM »

Hi guys.   I have to confess that I smoked a couple of cigs last night.    I was really, really pissed and gave in.  It didn't taste very good.  I really didn't enjoy it, but it did relax me.    I have a splitting headache today  -  and no desire to smoke another cig.

I'm not going back to smoking, but I did slip up.    Having my husband still smoking doesn't help, because they are always cigs in the house - but that is really no excuse.    I am determined not to do it again.  But, I'm only human.

Thanks for listening.    Today is day one for me, again!   

You can do it Sassycat.
And I'll be thinking of all the other monkeys here too.
One day at a time. 

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
eyecanCOOK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »

First, I want to wish Dihannah the best with Chantix.  It does work, as I have read many reviews & members here have shared their good fortune with it.  I'd still be taking it if I had not had the reaction, which by some accounts may have been nicotine withdrawal.  I do not know how long the Chantix stays in one's body, but not having taken it in 24 hours, I do feel like myself, again.  Will see if a lower dose patch will be my next route.  I even was reading up on laser, since we know a couple people who did that a year or so ago.  It's expensive, so they say, but it worked for them. 

I did    later yesterday, had one then 3 hours later, another.  Too bad I blew the cold turkey that could have been because I had at least a half day or so in the bag.        Today is another day, I'm still a work in progress and definitely not throwing in the towel, but if some of you are shaking your head, I understand and deserve it.   I  don't speak on this forum very often because I think that at times I might get lost in the shuffle, and I think that I don't have an intelligent thought to offer the sleuthers that frequent here, HOWEVER, I am going to go out on a limb and put myself out there..... never think that it is an all or nothing proposition to quit smoking...hey we practiced at smoking every chance we got, so we need to also practice not smoking as well.  I have quit many times before my final attempt and I told myself this last time "God I am done, my children need a healthy atmosphere...I was worse than I think alot of people on here...I smoked in the house, I smoked in the car and I smoked while I was pregnant...does that make me a bad person, No, because I would have given you my last dime to help you out. I was destructive to myself and I was showing my two sons that it was ok to not treat your body like a temple, and jeopardizing their health at the same time.  Smoking does not make us bad people that need to hide in the shadows to feed our addiction, we just need to be gentle with ourselves and get back on the bike and try again.

My situation was I was told by a plastic surgeon that she would not help me to repair damage resulting from basal cell carcinoma that incidently I ignored for 3 and 1/2 years unless I quit smoking..My husband who never smoked was with me and I knew that I could not talk my way out of this because he heard it...so it was happening whether I wanted it to or not..That was a Friday in March 2008 by the following Monday I took my first dose of Chantix..that afternoon I smoked maybe five cigs, I noticed within an hour after the first dose I had a metallic taste in my mouth, and it was like smoking a twig...nothing got no satisfaction. For two days after that I took the medication .05mg in the morning and tried valiantly to smoke...only this time in addition to the metallic taste I had a intense headache between my eyes and again like smoking a straw...nothing no satisfaction which by the way was pissing me off and at the same time feeling triumphant. Thursday I woke up and faced my first day no cigarettes and it was super until I had to increase the dose..to .10mg, the first day I felt like I just ate a samonella sandwich and knew that I was going to have to be smarter about the meds...I took .05mg for the entire 12 weeks on the medication.

The high points were yes I had vivid dreams but I had to start taking sominex in order to even get to sleep otherwise I tossed and turned for hours until I fell asleep.  When I began to sleep I awoke not rested and unable to face the day due to feeling fatigued. But like others here I felt it was detoxing from the nicotine so I pressed on. When I took my last pill I thought to myself wowowow I made it....I too researched and read reviews...HOWEVER never once did I google side effects of Chantix only reviews.

Let me backtrack for a minute, my mother is and RN and I spoke to her through this whole thing just to be sure that I was not going insane...either way early on about a month into treatment I started to get canker sores and I thought hey it is the jolly ranchers so I stopped that but faithfully every month around the time of my cycle I started to get them, so I did everything....vitamin replacement therapy, sodium lauryl sulfate free toothpaste, lysine and some wacky homeopathic stuff my doctor suggested but they still come?

Ok fast forward...I celebrate a year this Thursday...that is great and let me just say I am a very happy high energy person but I will be painfully honest here, I almost lost my marriage over a medication that me being a intelligent person knows  altered my life...I KNOW it, I am not the same, I will be tested for MS next month, my father has relapse-remitting and in the months that followed being off the medication I have developed MS related problems so we shall see..2NJ, you were smart to stop the medication...I am not trying to give the medication a bad reputation but if you could research Chantix side effects your side effects were there. I wish you luck and I know that you will be successful and if EVER you just need to vent or talk my name is Paige and this is my e-mail incaseukerr@comcast.net Like I said I don't say much on this forum but I really felt strongly about connecting with you..God Bless Paige

Kindness is a word the deaf and dumb can understand. No ciggies for one year....ok on to year two
eyecanCOOK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »

I  don't speak on this forum very often because I think that at times I might get lost in the shuffle, and I think that I don't have an intelligent thought to offer the sleuthers that frequent here, HOWEVER, I am going to go out on a limb and put myself out there..... never think that it is an all or nothing proposition to quit smoking...hey we practiced at smoking every chance we got, so we need to also practice not smoking as well.  I have quit many times before my final attempt and I told myself this last time "God I am done, my children need a healthy atmosphere...I was worse than I think alot of people on here...I smoked in the house, I smoked in the car and I smoked while I was pregnant...does that make me a bad person, No, because I would have given you my last dime to help you out. I was destructive to myself and I was showing my two sons that it was ok to not treat your body like a temple, and jeopardizing their health at the same time.  Smoking does not make us bad people that need to hide in the shadows to feed our addiction, we just need to be gentle with ourselves and get back on the bike and try again.

My situation was I was told by a plastic surgeon that she would not help me to repair damage resulting from basal cell carcinoma that incidently I ignored for 3 and 1/2 years unless I quit smoking..My husband who never smoked was with me and I knew that I could not talk my way out of this because he heard it...so it was happening whether I wanted it to or not..That was a Friday in March 2008 by the following Monday I took my first dose of Chantix..that afternoon I smoked maybe five cigs, I noticed within an hour after the first dose I had a metallic taste in my mouth, and it was like smoking a twig...nothing got no satisfaction. For two days after that I took the medication .05mg in the morning and tried valiantly to smoke...only this time in addition to the metallic taste I had a intense headache between my eyes and again like smoking a straw...nothing no satisfaction which by the way was pissing me off and at the same time feeling triumphant. Thursday I woke up and faced my first day no cigarettes and it was super until I had to increase the dose..to .10mg, the first day I felt like I just ate a samonella sandwich and knew that I was going to have to be smarter about the meds...I took .05mg for the entire 12 weeks on the medication.

The high points were yes I had vivid dreams but I had to start taking sominex in order to even get to sleep otherwise I tossed and turned for hours until I fell asleep.  When I began to sleep I awoke not rested and unable to face the day due to feeling fatigued. But like others here I felt it was detoxing from the nicotine so I pressed on. When I took my last pill I thought to myself wowowow I made it....I too researched and read reviews...HOWEVER never once did I google side effects of Chantix only reviews.

Let me backtrack for a minute, my mother is and RN and I spoke to her through this whole thing just to be sure that I was not going insane...either way early on about a month into treatment I started to get canker sores and I thought hey it is the jolly ranchers so I stopped that but faithfully every month around the time of my cycle I started to get them, so I did everything....vitamin replacement therapy, sodium lauryl sulfate free toothpaste, lysine and some wacky homeopathic stuff my doctor suggested but they still come?

Ok fast forward...I celebrate a year this Thursday...that is great and let me just say I am a very happy high energy person but I will be painfully honest here, I almost lost my marriage over a medication that me being a intelligent person knows  altered my life...I KNOW it, I am not the same, I will be tested for MS next month, my father has relapse-remitting and in the months that followed being off the medication I have developed MS related problems so we shall see..2NJ, you were smart to stop the medication...I am not trying to give the medication a bad reputation but if you could research Chantix side effects your side effects were there. I wish you luck and I know that you will be successful and if EVER you just need to vent or talk my name is Paige and this is my e-mail incaseukerr@comcast.net Like I said I don't say much on this forum but I really felt strongly about connecting with you..God Bless Paige

so very sorry I have issues with copying and pasting and quoting so here it is to make it less confusing

Kindness is a word the deaf and dumb can understand. No ciggies for one year....ok on to year two
Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2009, 04:00:15 PM »

Hi guys!
I do not smoke, but my 21 y/o brother does.  I just wanted to put this warning out to you all.
He purchased for $50 these magnets that you place on your ears to help you quit smoking.  He heard them endorsed on Howard Sterns radio broadcast and thought he would give it a shot.  The people on the show swore up and down by these magnets.

Well, needless to say there are never any quick fixes.  The b*tches did not work.  So, do not get scammed into the magnets......seriously magnets??   

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2009, 05:53:44 PM »

I  don't speak on this forum very often because I think that at times I might get lost in the shuffle, and I think that I don't have an intelligent thought to offer the sleuthers that frequent here, HOWEVER, I am going to go out on a limb and put myself out there..... never think that it is an all or nothing proposition to quit smoking...hey we practiced at smoking every chance we got, so we need to also practice not smoking as well.  I have quit many times before my final attempt and I told myself this last time "God I am done, my children need a healthy atmosphere...I was worse than I think alot of people on here...I smoked in the house, I smoked in the car and I smoked while I was pregnant...does that make me a bad person, No, because I would have given you my last dime to help you out. I was destructive to myself and I was showing my two sons that it was ok to not treat your body like a temple, and jeopardizing their health at the same time.  Smoking does not make us bad people that need to hide in the shadows to feed our addiction, we just need to be gentle with ourselves and get back on the bike and try again.

so very sorry I have issues with copying and pasting and quoting so here it is to make it less confusing

Thank you for sharing your story with all of us.  I am glad that you were able to have that surgery to correct the damage of the basal cell removal.  We never know what we will be facing and your experience hit home, because my sister just told me earlier this week that she had to have mohs (sp?) surgery on a basal on her face.  She doesn't smoke, so that wasn't an issue, but what if I had to go through the same??? 

I also think your sharing of the reactions to Chantix is helpful, too.  I happened to speak to a close friend today, who I have not seen or spoken to in a few months.  She, too, had taken Chantix and said she was a mad woman and told her doctor that it would kill her before the cigarettes.

As you stated, all the reviews & reactions are out there.  A larger percentage are positive and successful, but the adverse reactions are expressed, as well. 

For Dihannah and anyone out there just starting out, I certainly wish the best outcome.  As stated, these medications are not for everyone.  I happen to have allergies to a few meds, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised with this one.  Sometimes it's just a weird syndrome where things work the opposite from what they should.  For me, for example, codeine is one.  It makes me hyper with heart palpitations.  That's why my doctor is very cautious about what I take, especially with my BP. 

I surely hope your MS symptoms are found to be something else, and not connected to the medication, but who knows what happens to the nervous system, or whatever.  Same for your Dad.  Thank you for offering to talk about it.  I do appreciate it very much.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2009, 06:00:50 PM »

Hi guys!
I do not smoke, but my 21 y/o brother does.  I just wanted to put this warning out to you all.
He purchased for $50 these magnets that you place on your ears to help you quit smoking.  He heard them endorsed on Howard Sterns radio broadcast and thought he would give it a shot.  The people on the show swore up and down by these magnets.

Well, needless to say there are never any quick fixes.  The b*tches did not work.  So, do not get scammed into the magnets......seriously magnets??   

Thanks, Dolce.  My brother and an ex-BIL were into those magnets and we got suckered into a back brace for my hubby by my bro in the amt of $150 that didn't do a thing.  I may have also read or heard about the ear thingies, but wouldn't consider it.   

(and we have a family member who works for Stern TV, LOL )

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2009, 06:05:37 PM »

Sassy - you slipped up but I am still so proud of you!!!  You can do it!!! 

Just a warning.....i will be joining and posting on this thread alot more next week...ughhhh...I'm freaking out a bit about quitting and I start to have an anxiety attack when I think about it.  How dumb, right??!!!  But i'm determined to do it...nothing has EVER controlled my life like my marlboro's....and I refuse to let them *win*!  so wish me luck and dont mind if I come a runnin in here screaming and being a bit cranky...LOL

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »

Thanks, Dolce.  My brother and an ex-BIL were into those magnets and we got suckered into a back brace for my hubby by my bro in the amt of $150 that didn't do a thing.  I may have also read or heard about the ear thingies, but wouldn't consider it.   

(and we have a family member who works for Stern TV, LOL )
My hubs loves Stern in the morning.  It is why we have Sirius.   

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »

Just a warning.....i will be joining and posting on this thread alot more next week...ughhhh...I'm freaking out a bit about quitting and I start to have an anxiety attack when I think about it.  How dumb, right??!!!  But i'm determined to do it...nothing has EVER controlled my life like my marlboro's....and I refuse to let them *win*!  so wish me luck and dont mind if I come a runnin in here screaming and being a bit cranky...LOL

You are welcome, anytime, Leroy, and thanks for reminding me about Sassy's post.  That's why Klaas started it.  There are many smokers just like us who have tried to quit, talked about it for years, or have slipped back into the habit.  It's good to have a support system besides any family or friends we already have.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »

You are welcome, anytime, Leroy, and thanks for reminding me about Sassy's post.  That's why Klaas started it.  There are many smokers just like us who have tried to quit, talked about it for years, or have slipped back into the habit.  It's good to have a support system besides any family or friends we already have.

I agree.   I think it is nice to have this thread for support.    Thanks for the encouragement today.   I didn't smoke today - my hubby has not smoked around me, either.   He knows I want to get back on the bandwagon - and not slip off again.   I have to stay away from beer, too.  There is something about a beer and a cig that relaxes me.   

EYECANCOOK - I enjoy reading your post and hope you post more often.   Congrats for being smoke-free for a year!   I pray your medical tests results are good.

DOLCE - thanks for stopping in and warning us about the scam magnets!   I hope your brother can quit smoking soon.

LEROY - come join us - we're here to support you!   You can do it!

ALL - thanks again for the support and being there!   
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »

Thanks Sassy!  Any time!

I hope he can quit smoking too!  He is 21 with a baby on the way...and man oh man does that boy smell of smoke!  I am allergic to smoke and Lord knows he will not be around my kids with that stench!

No offense to my lovely Monkey friends who are working on kicking the habit.

Just think of the benefits!  It is really a selfish habit as you cut your life short due to your cravings..and the rest of the world and those you love are cut short by the time they have to spend with you! 

I love you guys and I know you can and will do it!!  So will my bro!

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2009, 11:16:08 PM »

OK, I  just went to the Dr. today  !!!!!  Now I am planning my quit date! Before I do, I want you all too promise not to get mad at me while I withdrawing!  It is not a pretty sight!!   

Klaas, are you one of those "reformed" smoker?     Will you promise to patient with me for the first week??   I think banning a money in withdrawal is a little mean......huh, huh, what do you think? 

P.S.  The patch has worked for me and made it easier!!  But the last time I used it, I had a bad reaction to it!!  The red spots left by the patch lasted well over a week and were sore!  So, my DR did just gave me RX for Chantix!!  So, I hope I don't go crazy or have a heart attache!!

A few years ago, I did quit for a year and one slip is all it took!!  I smoke more now than ever!! 
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »

OK, I  just went to the Dr. today  !!!!!  Now I am planning my quit date! Before I do, I want you all too promise not to get mad at me while I withdrawing!  It is not a pretty sight!!   

Klaas, are you one of those "reformed" smoker?     Will you promise to patient with me for the first week??   I think banning a money in withdrawal is a little mean......huh, huh, what do you think? 

P.S.  The patch has worked for me and made it easier!!  But the last time I used it, I had a bad reaction to it!!  The red spots left by the patch lasted well over a week and were sore!  So, my DR did just gave me RX for Chantix!!  So, I hope I don't go crazy or have a heart attache!!

A few years ago, I did quit for a year and one slip is all it took!!  I smoke more now than ever!! 

Good luck with the Chantix, Mytime.  Klaas did quit last year and is doing well.   We're here to support and be supported, so don't start out worrying about withdrawal or things that don't exist at this moment. 

As for the patch and skin irritation, I had that, too, when I used them 7 years ago.  I didn't have a problem until toward the end.  The patches left burn like marks that stayed for some time.  When I spoke to my sister this week about her skin cancer surgery, she told me that she had had a problem with the bandages that she was supposed to keep on the wound/stitches.  We were wondering if it was the adhesive or whatever the bandaid was made of that we both may have a sensitivity to.  Not sure.

In the meantime, I am still smoking but have cut down a lot.  I have tried to say 'No' and do something else when I normally would just light one.  This is working because my husband is still on the patch.   I have a friend who quit many years ago by doing the same thing.  She changed her smoking routine a little each week, so that the amount she smoked was less and less.  Another couple quit by making smoking an inconvenience....no smoking in the house, the car, etc.  It worked for them, too.   I guess I've been doing a little bit of both by postponing and making it inconvenient for myself. 

Keep us posted on how it's going for you! 

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »

Good luck with the Chantix, Mytime.  Klaas did quit last year and is doing well.   We're here to support and be supported, so don't start out worrying about withdrawal or things that don't exist at this moment. 

As for the patch and skin irritation, I had that, too, when I used them 7 years ago.  I didn't have a problem until toward the end.  The patches left burn like marks that stayed for some time.  When I spoke to my sister this week about her skin cancer surgery, she told me that she had had a problem with the bandages that she was supposed to keep on the wound/stitches.  We were wondering if it was the adhesive or whatever the bandaid was made of that we both may have a sensitivity to.  Not sure.

In the meantime, I am still smoking but have cut down a lot.  I have tried to say 'No' and do something else when I normally would just light one.  This is working because my husband is still on the patch.   I have a friend who quit many years ago by doing the same thing.  She changed her smoking routine a little each week, so that the amount she smoked was less and less.  Another couple quit by making smoking an inconvenience....no smoking in the house, the car, etc.  It worked for them, too.   I guess I've been doing a little bit of both by postponing and making it inconvenient for myself. 

Keep us posted on how it's going for you! 

I've been sort of reading and lurking and I finished the Anthony threads so I thought I'd check out this thread.  OK. I can tell you how to definitely stop smoking, although I certainly don't recommend it.  I had been near a woman who was sneezing and coughing and someone told her she should do something about her cough.  She did.  She gave it to me.  I have had pneumonia a number of times in my life, so sure enough, I got a cold which turned into pneumonia.  I went to the doctor, had a chest xray and guess what?  I not only had pneumonia, but what looked to be lung cancer.  Top of my left lung.  I had a biopsy and it was confirmed.  I had surgery, they removed a portion of my lung.  It was stage one, had not spread to my lymph nodes.  I was in intensive care for a week because the anesthesia had temporarily paralyzed my right leg.  I spent another week in a regular room and was discharged.  This was in 2003.  I had an MRI twice a year for the first five years and now once a year. It hasn't returned so far.  I smoked for about 25 years.  I have not had a cigarette since I drove myself to the hospital for surgery.  My family was with me, but I wanted to drive.  I miss smoking and I miss it every single day.  I will never smoke again, however.  I don't regret any cigarette I ever smoked and I absolutely loved to smoke.  I guess I'd rather live, though. If I knew who that woman was, I'd send her some flowers.  I'm fine now, have no effects from losing part of my lung and actually feel better and have more stamina than I did when I had two whole lungs.  Don't even notice the missing part.

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2009, 02:25:29 PM »

Wow Babybear!   Thanks for sharing your story with us!

God, I'm glad that woman gave you her cold, too!    So happy to hear that you're fine now.   Thank God you found it!

PS..  I haven't smoked since my slip-up on Sunday night.   Haven't wanted to.   I think I'm going to be ok.

Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »

Wow Babybear!   Thanks for sharing your story with us!

God, I'm glad that woman gave you her cold, too!    So happy to hear that you're fine now.   Thank God you found it!

PS..  I haven't smoked since my slip-up on Sunday night.   Haven't wanted to.   I think I'm going to be ok.

Thanks, Sassycat.  That's the good thing about smoking (Dieting too.)  If you slip up, there's always a chance to start over.  You can do it.  I still just love your monkey drying off the cat.  That cat's going to lose all it hair.  LOL

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
RoxiBalboa
Scared Monkey

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »

First let me say, kudos to any and all of those who can quit smoking!! I have been reading here for days and wanting to add my story but have been to sick to take the time. Let me try this now. Its been so much stuff I will forget things, at times make no sense, leave words out, etc, but I can already tells it's going to feel good to get this out.

I started smoking at age 12. Like many of you, just to be cool, fit in. By 17 I was a full time smoker. Fast forward to age 43 where I am a full time chain smoker. I live in a household of nonsmokers (husband and daughter) so they both just dismiss any understanding of what it may be like. Like my husband saying to me recently, "if I was a smoker I would just quit, I wouldn't try all these gimmicks, I'd just quit". I quickly challenged him to give up his caffeine and salt. He lasted 2 days.

I tried the laser treatment. It cost $250 and I left there wanting a cigarette more than when I went in. I smoked the whole way home, crying like a baby so disappointed that I had wasted our hard earned money on this crap. I called the place back, crying and complaining. They "soothed me over" and asked to me to come back for a free treatment. I went back, same result. I was so disappointed in myself at this point I gave up on giving up.

Next I went to the patch. I felt nothing with the patch. I was told you will get sick if you smoke while wearing the patch. I just kept right on smoking with a patch on my arm for two weeks, never slowing down. So for some reason, that didn't work for me either.

Next, hypnosis. Again, I wasted more money. I feel if I found the right hypnotist, perhaps this might work. But after already blowing money on the wrong hypnotist I'm done with this option.

Back to the patch. Same result. So I finally decided to try Chantix. I got the prescription and started in. I instantly got sick. Every day, sick. Throwing up. So I had to stop because I have stomach and esophagus problems that I didn't need the extra help in getting sick. But, I then decided that after the holidays passed I would again try the Chantix. I told my family that I was willing to be sick for a week or two if it meant that I would give up the cigs. So I started back in February. And yes, sick again. Every single day. But I just kept taking it. And at a cost too. My insurance will not pay for me try to stop smoking, they will only pay if/when the smoking starts killing me! Make sense? So its $140 per 4 week pack. If you consider the price of cigarettes, this is a small price to pay if it works. And it sort of does for me, not completely, but sort of. I am down from 30 cigs a day to 4 or 5 cigs a day. And those don't even taste right. There was even a 48 hour period that I didn't smoke at all. And believe me, I cried when I broke down and bought another pack. But I didn't stop. I kept taking my Chantix, throwing up, and smoking less. But just this past week I started to change. Its week 6 in taking the Chantix, and I am "off". I am so angry. An angry I cannot really describe.

I have this dog, her name is RoxiBalboa, thus my username. She is 16 years old and very very special to me. In the midst of this angry frustrating craziness I am feeling, I can't stand to hear my husband speak, or walk, or cough. If my daughter smiles one more time I might have to smack the smile off her face. OMG is that dog whining again? (you should know here, Roxi is also partly blind, hard of hearing, very much in need of her mom's love and understanding). But then, when Roxi whined one time too many and I just lost it. I screamed at this dog, who probably (hopefully) can't hear me, "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!"     and I shook, and cried, and felt like, I cannot explain. I wanted "out" was what my head was saying, I wanted to hit something, to hit myself, do something, but get this anger out of me.

That is when I found you all here. It dawned on me, it’s the Chantix. I didn't do enough reading before taking it. I wasn't aware of all the side effects. Heck, all I did was call my docs office, ask if I could have an Rx, and they mailed me one. No conversation with my doctor. So after reading your stories here, I went and read some other stories about side effects and stopped the Chantix right away. I've not been taking it for 2 1/2 days and am feeling much better. Not completely right, but better.

I hope that Chantix works for some people, and am happy for those. But please use cautiously. I have grandbabies and would never forgive myself if my screaming fit was aimed at a grandchild instead of my precious dog. I had no control of it, it just exploded from me like I was a stranger watching it happen.

So I am back at Go and thinking of either cold turkey, or starting myself at 6 a day, then 5 a day, then 4 a day, etc. (I know I will talk myself into smoking more a day, I'm good at bargaining with myself. The smoker-me always gets the better of the non-smoker me).

Best of Luck to you All! You can Do It!!!!!!

and Leroy, I think I will quit with you. Want to pick a quit date together? Are we going cold turkey? I could use a stop buddy, as long as my buddy can live with me if I disappoint. Freaking out and anxiety is not dumb, its natural. But we could probably help each other with some tricks and tips and maybe we'll get there. I'm going to start chopping celery and carrot sticks. Get some straws to chew. Buy candy.

Oh yeah, one thing I read here that I wanted to second... it really does help to breathe like you are smoking. Sometimes when I want a cigarette but its not "time" for my cig yet, I can take the deep breath and let it out like I am smoking and for some reason it satisfies the urge for a lil while.

thanks for reading/listening

Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
RoxiBalboa
Scared Monkey

« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »

p.s. Has anyone ever tried Quest cigarettes? I might try this. They have 3 steps of cigs that step you down in nicotine, down to zero. Just gotta figure out where to get them. Would like to look for some feedback first, if possible. TIA

Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »

p.s. Has anyone ever tried Quest cigarettes? I might try this. They have 3 steps of cigs that step you down in nicotine, down to zero. Just gotta figure out where to get them. Would like to look for some feedback first, if possible. TIA

RoxiBalboa,

Thank you for sharing your experiences.   I have not tried Quest and actually forgot about this product until you mentioned it.  If you go to the website, you can enter your zip code and it will tell you the local stores that sell them in your area.  Not sure I'd try them....it's still smoking, but then, with the nicotine gone, it may have the same affect as the Chantix, especially if your smoking habits are diminished.  I cannot believe you resumed the Chantix despite the horrible side effects.  Wow. 

I am still smoking, but very cognizant of each one.  This may be because my husband is still using the patch and I'm aware that my smoking may have an effect on him.  My physician wants me to come in for another BP check within the next couple months, and discuss whether I can try a lower dose patch.  We'll see.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »

and Leroy, I think I will quit with you. Want to pick a quit date together? Are we going cold turkey? I could use a stop buddy, as long as my buddy can live with me if I disappoint. Freaking out and anxiety is not dumb, its natural. But we could probably help each other with some tricks and tips and maybe we'll get there. I'm going to start chopping celery and carrot sticks. Get some straws to chew. Buy candy.

Oh yeah, one thing I read here that I wanted to second... it really does help to breathe like you are smoking. Sometimes when I want a cigarette but its not "time" for my cig yet, I can take the deep breath and let it out like I am smoking and for some reason it satisfies the urge for a lil while.

thanks for reading/listening

Roxi - I just saw this.  So it seems you've tried just about everything and I completely understand your frustration.  My quit date is April 1st so if you're in I'd love to be your quit buddy!!!  I'm going to try the Committ lozengers this time.  And I have stocked up on toothpaste and extra toothbrushes.  I never want a cig if I still have the "just brushed feeling"...lol.  So I will be brushing & flossing my teeth ALOT!

I became a full time smoker at 14 and am now 30...so i've been smoking for a while.  Right now I easily smoke a pack a day....on the weekends though I can go through 2 packs if I head out to have some cocktails.  Alot of the bars in my state sill allow you to smoke so my friends are aware that we are not allowed to go to these places until I'm comfortable being around smoke again without *giving in*.  And, none of my friends smoke.

I am determined to quit this time and cant guarantee that I wont slip up a few times - I hope I dont.  But you're right I think it would be easier to have a quit buddy so just let me know what you decide. 

Also, I have tried the Quest Cigs.....it made me want a *real* cig in the worst kind of way....so it wasn't long before I broke down and bought my Marlboro's!!

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.