March 18, 2024, 09:51:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO QUIT SMOKING? HAVE YOU ALREADY QUIT? Tell your story!  (Read 136443 times)
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 12:03:43 AM »

Thanks Klaass - for the cool thread.   I could use the encouragement!

I quit cold turkey - hopefully for the last time - on January 11, 2009.   It was my New Years Resolution for this year - but didn't actually put them down until the 11th.   I haven't touched one since!     It was hard at first, because my husband is still smoking, unfortunately.   He doesn't smoke in front of me, though.   

I started smoking as a teenager.   I had 5 older brothers and sisters and I wanted to be cool, like them.   I quit smoking during my three pregnancies, cold turkey, and without any problems.  But I would start smoking afterwards, in order to lose the baby weight quickly.  After my youngest was born, I quit for about 11 years.   Then, I started again when I was going through a divorce and needed to lose some weight.   I enjoy smoking and drinking beer, I have to be honest.    I would never give them up - if it wasn't for the fact that my first grandchild is arriving in August!   And, I'm concerned about my health, since I'm no longer a spring chicken!

My husband found out he had prostate cancer in October 2007, the day before we were going away on a special trip for his 60th birthday.   Luckily, it hadn't spread, and he was cured.   While he was going through his radiation, I was having my own health issues (a breast cancer scare) and made a promise to myself that I would try to get healthy and quit smoking for good.    Well, it took me until January to finally keep my promise.    I'm determined that I will not be controlled by cigarettes, ever again!

I quit cold turkey.  I gave myself 3 weeks to eat whatever I wanted without beating myself up for it.  I  bought a variety of sugar-free hard candies and gum.  I also decided not to drink any alcohol while quitting smoking, as I was afraid it would make me give in to the temptation.   Then, last week, I moved our treadmill into the middle of the living room floor (no kidding, lol) so that I could develop some good habits - like walking every day.   I am already up to walking for 30 minutes, straight!   When I was smoking, I couldn't last 5 minutes!    Once I'm hooked on exercising again, I'll move the treadmill back into the spare bedroom.   It only takes a couple of weeks to form a habit.   I keep reminding myself of that fact, as I'm tripping over the treadmill.

So, it has been a month since I quit.  So far, my heart rate is much slower.   I'm breathing easier.   I'm not coughing at night, anymore.    A box of tissues is lasting me several weeks, not just 4 days!   My clothes and hair no longer stink.  I've got a couple of extra dollars in my purse  (actually more than a couple - those things are expensive)!    Since I've combined it with a plan to exercise, I gained a couple pounds the first three weeks - but have already walked it off. 

Now, I just have to get the hubby to quit.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and for the encouragement.   To those who want to quit, YOU CAN DO IT!   

hotping
Monkey Junky

All Prayers Will Be Answered in Time!

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 12:03:51 AM »

Well, this is like smoking anonymous....I will probably give a statement.  Let's say I have a history.        

In God We Trust!
Prayers Will Bring Natalee Home!
May 2010 Bring Natalee Home to Rest In Peace!
hotping
Monkey Junky

All Prayers Will Be Answered in Time!

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 12:10:31 AM »

Thanks Klaass - for the cool thread.   I could use the encouragement!

I quit cold turkey - hopefully for the last time - on January 11, 2009.   It was my New Years Resolution for this year - but didn't actually put them down until the 11th.   I haven't touched one since!     It was hard at first, because my husband is still smoking, unfortunately.   He doesn't smoke in front of me, though.   

I started smoking as a teenager.   I had 5 older brothers and sisters and I wanted to be cool, like them.   I quit smoking during my three pregnancies, cold turkey, and without any problems.  But I would start smoking afterwards, in order to lose the baby weight quickly.  After my youngest was born, I quit for about 11 years.   Then, I started again when I was going through a divorce and needed to lose some weight.   I enjoy smoking and drinking beer, I have to be honest.    I would never give them up - if it wasn't for the fact that my first grandchild is arriving in August!   And, I'm concerned about my health, since I'm no longer a spring chicken!

My husband found out he had prostate cancer in October 2007, the day before we were going away on a special trip for his 60th birthday.   Luckily, it hadn't spread, and he was cured.   While he was going through his radiation, I was having my own health issues (a breast cancer scare) and made a promise to myself that I would try to get healthy and quit smoking for good.    Well, it took me until January to finally keep my promise.    I'm determined that I will not be controlled by cigarettes, ever again!

I quit cold turkey.  I gave myself 3 weeks to eat whatever I wanted without beating myself up for it.  I  bought a variety of sugar-free hard candies and gum.  I also decided not to drink any alcohol while quitting smoking, as I was afraid it would make me give in to the temptation.   Then, last week, I moved our treadmill into the middle of the living room floor (no kidding, lol) so that I could develop some good habits - like walking every day.   I am already up to walking for 30 minutes, straight!   When I was smoking, I couldn't last 5 minutes!    Once I'm hooked on exercising again, I'll move the treadmill back into the spare bedroom.   It only takes a couple of weeks to form a habit.   I keep reminding myself of that fact, as I'm tripping over the treadmill.

So, it has been a month since I quit.  So far, my heart rate is much slower.   I'm breathing easier.   I'm not coughing at night, anymore.    A box of tissues is lasting me several weeks, not just 4 days!   My clothes and hair no longer stink.  I've got a couple of extra dollars in my purse  (actually more than a couple - those things are expensive)!    Since I've combined it with a plan to exercise, I gained a couple pounds the first three weeks - but have already walked it off. 

Now, I just have to get the hubby to quit.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and for the encouragement.   To those who want to quit, YOU CAN DO IT!   

Thank You Sassycat for sharing Your story.....I have decided to quit also...It will be the first time that I truly feel that I'm ready....Please keep Us posted on How You are doing   

In God We Trust!
Prayers Will Bring Natalee Home!
May 2010 Bring Natalee Home to Rest In Peace!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 10:35:18 AM »

Well, this is like smoking anonymous....I will probably give a statement.  Let's say I have a history.        

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 11:15:37 AM »

I quit almost a year ago now.  I quit because I was looking at a long plane ride (over 12 hrs) and limited smoking when I arrived at my destination.  Unusual reason I know.  It is also getting hard to find any place outside of your own home to smoke and in some states they are even trying to regulate that if you have any outside help come in.

I was a heavy chain smoker.  This is why the plane trip would have been misery.  Actually, I had made this trip once before, when out of the airport to grab a smoke and couldn't get back in the door I went out.  I ended up at least a mile away from my gate, had to run all the way and almost missed my plane.  There was no cutting back it was all or nothing. 

When I had an urge, unlike what is commonly suggest -- get you mind off of it, I imagined actually smoking -- feeling it and tasting it.  It worked for me.  I also used Commit lozenges.  I liked the tingle in the mouth, just like a cigarette.  It was hard giving up the lozenges LOL. 

I still have occasional physiological urges to smoke, but they are not physical urges.  For these getting my mind off of it works.

Good luck to everyone!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 11:54:56 AM »

My name is 2NJSons_Mom and I am a smoker (a pack to 1 1/2 pack a day).  I started to smoke much like others have, as a teen sneaking one here & there from a friend's father's pack or buying a pack to share while we hung out. 

Started college and would grub a smoke while between classes while socializing with friends in the student lounge (I'm old, so smoking wasn't banned back then).  One day one of my friends said "Have you ever thought about how many cigarettes you grub?  Maybe you should consider buying a pack."  Well, that was embarrassing and an eye opener.  It had never occurred to me, because I really didn't consider myself a regular smoker.  So it began....one pack lasting several days and progressed from there. 

My parents both smoked when I was younger.  My Dad quit in his late 30s because he said he didn't like it and was upset with himself for having started because others were doing it.  Mom continued, quit a couple times before finally ending the habit in her 60s.  I did have a couple of other relatives who smoked, as well, including my brothers & sister who eventually quit

My husband is a smoker and several of his family members were, as well.   I had stopped smoking for my pregnancies, but naively took it back up afterward.  There were a couple of times where I stopped for a month or so, but always reverted back.  It wasn't until 2002, while on a cruise with family & friends that we both made a pact with female friend to set a date and use the patch.  She was successful, and has not smoked since (she'd quit before, btw).  My husband stopped using the patch and started to smoke cigars outside and eventually cigarettes again.  He didn't think I knew, but I could smell them when he kissed me goodbye each morning.          I lasted about a month after stopping the patch.   I started to be the closet smoker, buying a pack one day when stressed out over DH's employment changes & the financial burden we were finding ourselves in.   I did this for months, until I finally smoked in the open.  DH wasn't ruffled, at all.  Our sons, however, were so disappointed in me.  Neither, thank God, smoke, and both vocalize their disdain for the habit, regularly. 

My doctor quit smoking himself, about 15 years ago.  He has advised me to stop, of course.  My Dad had cholesterol & BP problems from late 50s on.  My Mom, though not dx'd with heart disease, passed away after having a fatal heart attack at 73.   There is heart disease in both families.  When I started to go through menopause, my perfect BP started to rise.  Then, the cholesterol started, later.  After years of trying to correct them with diet & exercise, I have now been on meds for about 3 years. 

Last year, I subscribed online to Quit Net.  I think it was through Dr. Oz.  I had picked a date, but never got into the support system set up there.  The emails started to go to my spam & yes, I never followed through.

In the meantime, cousins who had quit for 9 years started to smoke again.  Loss of family members, financial stresses........things we've all used as reasons to pick one up and light it.

Had an appointment for blood work, yesterday.  Doc wanted me to have an echocardiogram to check my heart functionality.  I ended up having that done later in the day.  I'm waiting on the blood work and was told the results of the echo would probably take a little longer since the report will be sent back to my Doc.  The technician asked me while she was doing the echo, if I smoked.  She showed me while inhaling and exhaling how it affected her ability to see my heart.  She told me the congestion in my lungs fogged the view.  On exhale, we both could see my heart perfectly.  Pretty telling, huh?   

I don't want to face a medical emergency like Klaasend did.  I know what it's doing to my overall health.  My BP may actually be lower if I quit.   I'm working on getting the mindset to act.   I'm just not quite there, yet. 

It's great that Klaas started this thread, and I will be checking here for updates, as well as encouraging those who are determined to kick the habit.  Hope it wears off on me. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 06:08:46 PM »

I still smoke in a lot of my dreams. 

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »

That's funny Shell.           At least you don't get stinky that way!

We had to put our oldest cat down yesterday.    I cried so hard.     After we came home and buried him, I wanted a beer and a cigarette badly.   I drank two beers - but kept myself from the cigarettes.   It was the first real test since I quit.   I passed! 

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »

We had to put our oldest cat down yesterday.    I cried so hard.     After we came home and buried him, I wanted a beer and a cigarette badly.   I drank two beers - but kept myself from the cigarettes.   It was the first real test since I quit.   I passed! 

Sassycat,I'm sorry to hear about your cat.Bless your heart. I am very proud of you for not smoking.     

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »

GULP    I am so glad to read of all of you who have told your stories and proud of everyone for talking about
 some of the things that a non smoker just doesn't understand. I started smoking as a teenager ,then quit when my kids came along . Then when they were in high school and during a painful divorce and being nervous about dating, well, cigarettes were my friends again.

It was true for me that the minute I smoked one , even after such a long time, within days I was smoking all the time.The weird thing is, it has been like being a closet smoker. Because there's such a harsh view, anti smoking laws and not to mention the smoking Nazi, my daughter, mostly I smoke at home, alone. And because I like smoking and I do it mostly at home alone it sort of isolates me if you get what I mean.  It's almost like I'm choosing to spend my time with cigarettes instead of being healthy and finding creative things to do.

I want to quit and feel confident about my life and live without worrying whether or not I've got enough cigs for the day or not! At the beginning of Feb. I actually got thru about 30 hrs without any, using the gum. When I ran to the 7/11 that night I figured to hell with it, but now with some "people" that I "know" maybe I can try it again.

I am so happy to have a place to read about the successes and get a little shot of courage.
Thanks Klaas for starting this.  

j
socialfriend2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 02:43:29 PM »

first time i tried zyban second was the patches third time chanix for a month been smoke free for 16teen months you have to wanna quit the reason i quit i got sick of the smell and the taste plus seeing on tv lung cancer anything will work but you need to want to quit i do things now that i couldnt when i smoked i bet i could run 5 miles lol god bless you dont need luck you just need to want to quit
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 09:32:20 PM »

first time i tried zyban second was the patches third time chanix for a month been smoke free for 16teen months you have to wanna quit the reason i quit i got sick of the smell and the taste plus seeing on tv lung cancer anything will work but you need to want to quit i do things now that i couldnt when i smoked i bet i could run 5 miles lol god bless you dont need luck you just need to want to quit

That is so true.   You have to WANT to do it.      Glad to hear you're smoke free now!    Congrats!
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 09:35:45 PM »

Sassycat,I'm sorry to hear about your cat.Bless your heart. I am very proud of you for not smoking.     

Thanks Trimm.   Hugs.   I'm glad I didn't give in to the cigs.   I would have to start all over again.    I'm really determined to stay off of them, permanently.
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 09:45:40 PM »

GULP    I am so glad to read of all of you who have told your stories and proud of everyone for talking about
 some of the things that a non smoker just doesn't understand. I started smoking as a teenager ,then quit when my kids came along . Then when they were in high school and during a painful divorce and being nervous about dating, well, cigarettes were my friends again.

It was true for me that the minute I smoked one , even after such a long time, within days I was smoking all the time.The weird thing is, it has been like being a closet smoker. Because there's such a harsh view, anti smoking laws and not to mention the smoking Nazi, my daughter, mostly I smoke at home, alone. And because I like smoking and I do it mostly at home alone it sort of isolates me if you get what I mean.  It's almost like I'm choosing to spend my time with cigarettes instead of being healthy and finding creative things to do.
I want to quit and feel confident about my life and live without worrying whether or not I've got enough cigs for the day or not! At the beginning of Feb. I actually got thru about 30 hrs without any, using the gum. When I ran to the 7/11 that night I figured to hell with it, but now with some "people" that I "know" maybe I can try it again.

I am so happy to have a place to read about the successes and get a little shot of courage.
Thanks Klaas for starting this.  

j

I know exactly what you mean.    I have very little friends that smoke - and none of my brothers and sisters smoke, anymore.  So, I would find myself making excuses for not going places with them - because I wanted to stay home where I could smoke all I wanted!     
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »

This sounds like me.   Thanks for the giggle.

I'm down again, today.  And, I want a cigarette.   I just found out that a friend of mine committed suicide.   He was going through a divorce, and had recently lost his job because he was drinking at work.   His son also committed suicide back in 2004.  I don't think he ever got over it.   We used to be really close - but haven't been so for the last couple of years.   I had worked with him - and when I got laid off - we didn't hang out as much.    Plus, he had gotten married again (to the one he was divorcing) and I don't think she liked him hanging out with me because she was a jealous type.   My hubby and I both liked this person, a lot.   He was always cracking jokes.    He was a good person.  We will truly miss him.

I almost lit a cig when I got the news.   I had to really fight it.   I didn't smoke.   But, I really wanted to.
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »

I'm down again, today.  And, I want a cigarette.   I just found out that a friend of mine committed suicide.   He was going through a divorce, and had recently lost his job because he was drinking at work.   His son also committed suicide back in 2004.  I don't think he ever got over it.   We used to be really close - but haven't been so for the last couple of years.   I had worked with him - and when I got laid off - we didn't hang out as much.    Plus, he had gotten married again (to the one he was divorcing) and I don't think she liked him hanging out with me because she was a jealous type.   My hubby and I both liked this person, a lot.   He was always cracking jokes.    He was a good person.  We will truly miss him.

I almost lit a cig when I got the news.   I had to really fight it.   I didn't smoke.   But, I really wanted to.

Hang in there girl!!!!   Sorry about the news of your friend but really in awe that you got thru that moment of thinking ya need that smoke. That's where I always crumble, but reading about you and others, it is getting longer and longer before I fire up the car and rush down to the store.  Take care.   
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 12:32:58 PM »

Hang in there girl!!!!   Sorry about the news of your friend but really in awe that you got thru that moment of thinking ya need that smoke. That's where I always crumble, but reading about you and others, it is getting longer and longer before I fire up the car and rush down to the store.  Take care.   

I agree.  The loss of a friend in such a manner would certainly be a catalyst to go back to smoking, and I am sorry to read this.  It's so recognizable to those of us who still smoke and have quit before.  Sassy, please do hang in there

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »

Hubby & I just came back recently from a vacation.  Only a few of us on the trip were smokers.  I have been coughing since a December from an upper respiratory thing and with the winds where we were on vacation, it only got worse.  We talked about it when we returned and he started the patch today.  Stupid me bought a carton of cigs at the duty free on the way home.  I will probably start the patch soon.  I'm tired of making excuses....but I do like my mokes.  I know it's the smart thing to do...and should have been something I stuck through years ago. 

Keep your fingers crossed that I get there. 

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »

Nicoderm patch may elevate blood pressure according to the info on the website, and I'm already on medication for that.  Waiting on a call back from my doctor.  The receptionist agreed that the patch can elevate BP and mentioned Chantix.  Side effects of that pill makes me leery and having read Klaas's friend's experiences adds to that.  Not sure, yet, what will be advised for me.  Hubby is driving me nuts counting down the # of packs I have left. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:28:24 AM by 2NJSons_Mom » Logged

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.