March 19, 2024, 12:34:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO QUIT SMOKING? HAVE YOU ALREADY QUIT? Tell your story!  (Read 136449 times)
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »

It has been two full weeks.  Ya know, I might be able to survive this.  So far so good.  The urge to smoke is starting to diminish.  I still cannot believe I haven't reached for a cigarette.  I might be able to go on and throw them away now.  I have yet to reach over and touched  them and haven't wanted to pick one up and smoke it.

My breathing is so much better and I am sleeping better at night.  So far I have put on very little weight but I know it is coming so I am trying to watch what I eat.

Hope I can keep this up.

Keep going!  I'm so happy for you and your family.  It's hard, but you have went through the hardest part of it.  Way to go! 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #261 on: December 07, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »

I am getting started on my 4th week of not smoking.  Last night I dreamed I smoked a cigarette--not once, but 3 times.  I would think by this time I would not still be having these thoughts.  My husband quit 2 years ago and he said he still has those dreams and thoughts.  Oh well, so far I haven't picked up a cigarette or even touched one BUT I do find myself reaching for one especially after eating a meal.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #262 on: December 07, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »

I am getting started on my 4th week of not smoking.  Last night I dreamed I smoked a cigarette--not once, but 3 times.  I would think by this time I would not still be having these thoughts.  My husband quit 2 years ago and he said he still has those dreams and thoughts.  Oh well, so far I haven't picked up a cigarette or even touched one BUT I do find myself reaching for one especially after eating a meal.

You're doing awesome!  Don't you love how much better you breathe now?  The best thing of all is NOT being tied to going for a smoke.  Like if you are at a friends house and they want you to go outside.  It is sooooo nice.  No more shackles to that stupid cig. 

I quit in April 2008 and I still refuse to let the doctor weigh me    When I quit I was under weight so I didn't watch what I ate (big mistake).  I gained too much and it took about 2 years to lose most of it.  Never let gaining a couple pounds be an excuse to go back to smoking.  You'll end up not losing weight and all you'll gain is your bad habit back.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! 
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »

You're doing awesome!  Don't you love how much better you breathe now?  The best thing of all is NOT being tied to going for a smoke.  Like if you are at a friends house and they want you to go outside.  It is sooooo nice.  No more shackles to that stupid cig. 

I quit in April 2008 and I still refuse to let the doctor weigh me    When I quit I was under weight so I didn't watch what I ate (big mistake).  I gained too much and it took about 2 years to lose most of it.  Never let gaining a couple pounds be an excuse to go back to smoking.  You'll end up not losing weight and all you'll gain is your bad habit back.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! 

I know I am doing good but it still hurts.  I think I thought I was invincible but I guess I found out I am not.  So far I am not having much trouble with the weight.  I do find myself eating little sweet snacks off and on all day--will have to put a stop to that.  And yes I am breathing better.  It is so great to not have that deep bronchial cough that I have had for years.  I sleep better at night also.  I go to see a pulmonary doctor week after next.  I just hope I haven't damaged my lungs so much from smoking that I will have breathing problems for the rest of my life.

Thanks Klaas for the support.  It really helps.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »

I just walked 1 whole mile on the treadmill---WITHOUT GETTING OUT OF BREATH!!!!!!

Believe me I am really, really proud of that.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2012, 11:34:22 PM »

I just walked 1 whole mile on the treadmill---WITHOUT GETTING OUT OF BREATH!!!!!!

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2012, 06:59:39 PM »

Thanks Muffy.  I am quite proud of myself right now.

I found the thread, has something changed since yesterday?  For some reason the boards look different.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »

WOW, excellent news!  You are doing GREAT!   

Yeah, I have been messing around in the forum and may have screwed some stuff up.  I'll try and make sure it's all fixed by later tonight.  Sorry about that. 
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »

Good Afternoon Monkeys,
[color=blue]
Blue Moon[/color]

You are so gutsy!    It takes so much guts to quit smoking, IMO  rendeer

Keep up the exercise!  God Bless You! 

It was the hardest thing I ever did was to quit smoking, twenty years.  I stopped drinking coffee in the morning, because whatever was associated with smoking I avoided.

Jowl lines on the face really scared the doo out me.  I looked at women smokers and their faces scared me 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #269 on: December 13, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »

Thanks seahouse.  I am rather proud of myself.

I went to a pulmonary doctor today because of the spot on my lung.  Before I went, I contacted my doctor and asked him to find my last chest xray taken back in 2009 and see if that spot showed up on it then.  The nurse called me back yesterday and said that he thought he saw the spot but would rather the pulmonary doctor look it over and compare it to the xrays taken in the past month.  He compared it and the spot was there back in 2009 except if was larger.  It has shrunk 2mm in 3 years.  They only monitor spots for 2 years and then they consider them benign.  Well my has been 3 years so he said I am o.k.  He will monitor me in 6 months with an xray and 12 months for another cat scan ONLY because my father died from lung cancer.  He said I really have dodged a bullet and don't leave his office and smoke a cigarette.  I told him he did not have to worry, I am very much aware of how lucky I am at this moment.  He also had breathing tests done and said I do not have any form of COPD.  I think I am going to celebrate the season this year with a vacation!!!!!!!!

I am heading into my 5th week and no cigarette.  I have stepped down to the 2nd level on the patch and I almost feel like I could just throw them away and be o.k. but I won't do that for fear I might have a setback.

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #270 on: December 13, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »

Thanks seahouse seahorse.  I am rather proud of myself.

I went to a pulmonary doctor today because of the spot on my lung.  Before I went, I contacted my doctor and asked him to find my last chest xray taken back in 2009 and see if that spot showed up on it then.  The nurse called me back yesterday and said that he thought he saw the spot but would rather the pulmonary doctor look it over and compare it to the xrays taken in the past month.  He compared it and the spot was there back in 2009 except if was larger.  It has shrunk 2mm in 3 years.  They only monitor spots for 2 years and then they consider them benign.  Well my has been 3 years so he said I am o.k.  He will monitor me in 6 months with an xray and 12 months for another cat scan ONLY because my father died from lung cancer.  He said I really have dodged a bullet and don't leave his office and smoke a cigarette.  I told him he did not have to worry, I am very much aware of how lucky I am at this moment.  He also had breathing tests done and said I do not have any form of COPD.  I think I am going to celebrate the season this year with a vacation!!!!!!!!

I am heading into my 5th week and no cigarette.  I have stepped down to the 2nd level on the patch and I almost feel like I could just throw them away and be o.k. but I won't do that for fear I might have a setback.

Sorry I mean "seahorse"

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #271 on: December 13, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »

Great news Blue Moon!!    Keep it up!   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #272 on: December 13, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »

Great news Blue Moon!!    Keep it up!   

Thanks Muffy.  Unless you have gone through this no one would know how thankful I am at this moment.

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #273 on: December 14, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »

Thanks seahouse seahorse.  I am rather proud of myself.

I went to a pulmonary doctor today because of the spot on my lung.  Before I went, I contacted my doctor and asked him to find my last chest xray taken back in 2009 and see if that spot showed up on it then.  The nurse called me back yesterday and said that he thought he saw the spot but would rather the pulmonary doctor look it over and compare it to the xrays taken in the past month.  He compared it and the spot was there back in 2009 except if was larger.  It has shrunk 2mm in 3 years.  They only monitor spots for 2 years and then they consider them benign.  Well my has been 3 years so he said I am o.k.  He will miteor me in 6 months with an xray and 12 months for another cat scan ONLY because my father died from lung cancer.  He said I really have dodged a bullet and don't leave his office and smoke a cigarette.  I told him he did not have to worry, I am very much aware of how lucky I am at this moment.  He also had breathing tests done and said I do not have any form of COPD.  I think I am going to celebrate the season this year with a vacation!!!!!!!!

Sorry I mean "seahorse"

Bluemoon 

Thank-you for the great news and walking us through the X-rays to understand your progress.

I remember Suzie a friend said to me "It doesn't take guts, it takes brains". 

(In my view) Brains make a decision and it takes guts and courage, to carry it out.

Bluemoon, you have brains,guts,courage and inter-fortitude!   

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2012, 12:35:04 AM »

Seahorse, thanks for your kind words.  It has been hard.

I am starting my 5th week--still no cigs.  I have stepped down to 14mg nicotine and I can tell a difference.  I am really wanting one more now but am still able to fight that urge off.  I am just so happy that I found my old xray and the doctor was able to compare the 2009 to the 2012 xray. 

One thing I would recommend to anyone who has smoked for years is ask your doctor to do an xray of your chest just to be on the safe side.  Never take for granted that the doctor will do this on their own.  Also, follow up with them and don't depend on them to call you with the results.  They did not call me and IF it had been cancer that 3 years would have done me in.

O.K.  the last 3 months have done me in----I am taking a little vacation-shopping time.  Need to go to Gatlinburg TN and see the Xmas lights and do some shopping.

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #275 on: December 21, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »

I am heading into my 6th week, no cigarettes at all!!!!!!!!!!!11

I just finished one week on the step-down (14mg) and I have not worn a patch since yesterday morning.  They gave me nightmares and my side and back hurt from them so I pull the patch off and it has been 2 days without even trying for a cigarette.

I may be about ready to say that I am a "NON-SMOKER".  It feels really great to be able to say I am a former smoker.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #276 on: December 21, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »

I just finished one week on the step-down (14mg) and I have not worn a patch since yesterday morning.  They gave me nightmares and my side and back hurt from them so I pull the patch off and it has been 2 days without even trying for a cigarette.

I may be about ready to say that I am a "NON-SMOKER".  It feels really great to be able to say I am a former smoker.

You are doing so good!!!  Doesn't it feel great not to "need" that smoke?   
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »

You are free, Bluemoon!  Free, from the ashtrays, free, free!
Mind over matter is such a great thing, I should try it Smile

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »

Yes, it really does feel good.

We went to Pigeon Forge, TN (Shopping !!) and it felt really good to not have to look around for half a day before we found a hotel room that would allow you to smoke outside on the balcony.

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »

You are free, Bluemoon!  Free, from the ashtrays, free, free!
Mind over matter is such a great thing, I should try it Smile

I do feel "free" at the moment.  I did housecleaning today and I threw away my old ashtray.  It has lasted me several years.  I don't want to even guess how many cigs have been put out in that ashtray. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.