March 19, 2024, 04:55:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO QUIT SMOKING? HAVE YOU ALREADY QUIT? Tell your story!  (Read 136458 times)
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2009, 12:53:47 AM »

Meant to say I quit on January 18, 1988 -- not 2007.

My best friend died that year due to breast cancer.  She wanted me to quit back then.  That gives you an idea how long I've been smoking.  You went from a couple years non-smoker to a couple of decades non-smoker.  Guess you were a kid....

I think I'm getting there.  I hope so.

I smoked from age 15 (part-time) or 18 (full-time) until I was 42. I quit in Jan 1988. I am 63 now. Three of my smoking business colleagues died at age 63. Another friend also age 63 smokes and has a lot of health problems including a cancer scare. I count myself blessed to have gotten through the quitting process. Extremely painful but after a while the monkey lets go.

I wish you the best with this. There's nothing good about smoking. You will eventually feel better for quitting, no matter how many years you have been struggling. One day at a time. 4 D's: when you want a cigarette -- Delay ... Distract ... Do Something Else ... Don't!

jen3560
Monkey Junky

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2009, 09:07:38 AM »

2NJ - How are you doing today? 

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »

Day 8.  Today is my planned quit date.  Haven't smoked, but did yesterday a few.  They were not remarkable.  Wink

Last night went to bed later & was tired.  It turned out to be a restless night.  Could not get comfortable and tossed for a couple of hours, but finally slept.  Dreamt I was traveling & couldn't find the Chantix...worried I would smoke.  When I got up, I checked the side effects, again, & then I went to a site that had reviews of the drug and read many going back a year or so.  Regardless of all the positive stuff I read, I still don't like taking this med, and already can't wait for it to be over, much like a dentist visit.   

Hubby on the patch said yesterday that he's noticed mood swings that concerned him.  I didn't think he should be having mood swings because the patch has the nicotine.  He then said maybe it was his imagination.  I encouraged him to continue, for both of us.  If we do this together, I think we'll be successful.  Last time, around 7 years ago, he stopped the patch, started smoking cigars, then went back to cigs.  He thought I couldn't smell them.  That's when I eventually went back little by little. 

I'm a work in progress, here.  Thanks for your support. 

Port Valerie, I will keep your D's suggestion in my head. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »

Hi....2NJ I am so happy for you....this is a big day and I hope you will do well.  I wanted to tell you what made me stop.  I started at age 19...in Nursing School.  We learned by smoking Kent cigarettes.  We thought we were cool.  It was before the known association with cancer and other lung ailments.

I quit the day after I saw the lungs of a person with cancer.  I was working in surgery.
I went home and thought about what the surgeon was saying....if any of you smoke, your lungs probably look like this....and if you quit, they will become a healthy pink again, you will be able to smell and taste food (cajuns love to hear that), you will not stink of tobacco, you will live longer and something about smokers taking too many breaks...lol...but that was the truth.  By that time I had smoked over 20 years.

The next morning I took my leather cigarette pouch and lighter and pitched it into the garbage can in the hospital parking lot.  I didn't tell anyone and it took a couple of weeks before it was noticed by others...but I honestly began feeling better within days. 

Everything that others have said is true.  I can't speak to Chantrix or patches...but I can tell you that a huge weight is lifted and you feel so much better...and you hit the point that you really want to be smoke-free forever.

I know that in some way we are always tied to those cigarettes.  I never had another one but....if someone near me is smoking the kind I used to smoke....I can tell immediately....Merit Ultra-Light 100 Menthol....!!!!  Then I just say "yuck" and keep on going.

I want you to be able to say yuck too....Hugs, Mere

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
socialfriend2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2009, 02:46:55 PM »

the main thing is to stay away from smokers for awhile it helps alot i only took the chanix for a month and quit the reason for my quitting is i couldnt stand the taste anymore it made me wanna upchuck plus the smell is so stinky i seen a commericial on tv of lung cancer it was so gross just keep telling yourself you can do it
jen3560
Monkey Junky

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »

Day 8.  Today is my planned quit date.  Haven't smoked, but did yesterday a few.  They were not remarkable.  Wink

Last night went to bed later & was tired.  It turned out to be a restless night.  Could not get comfortable and tossed for a couple of hours, but finally slept.  Dreamt I was traveling & couldn't find the Chantix...worried I would smoke.  When I got up, I checked the side effects, again, & then I went to a site that had reviews of the drug and read many going back a year or so.  Regardless of all the positive stuff I read, I still don't like taking this med, and already can't wait for it to be over, much like a dentist visit.   

Hubby on the patch said yesterday that he's noticed mood swings that concerned him.  I didn't think he should be having mood swings because the patch has the nicotine.  He then said maybe it was his imagination.  I encouraged him to continue, for both of us.  If we do this together, I think we'll be successful.  Last time, around 7 years ago, he stopped the patch, started smoking cigars, then went back to cigs.  He thought I couldn't smell them.  That's when I eventually went back little by little. 

I'm a work in progress, here.  Thanks for your support. 

Port Valerie, I will keep your D's suggestion in my head. 

You're doing just great, 2NJ!!!!!  Like I said before - your body and mind will tell you when you're ready.  The med just helps that along.  Your target date (today) doesn't have to be set in stone, make sure to stop when you're ready!!

Hang in there, I know the med is just downright weird.................but it's there to help you.

That's a hug to give to yourself.  You deserve it!!

BTW - it actually got kind of fun for me to discuss the weird dreams with friends and family.  Talking about them helped diminish they way they had made me feel.
Port Valerie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2009, 04:30:41 PM »

I just remembered ...

Distract and Do Something Else are the same D ... the 4th one is Drink Water.

Delay ... Distract ... Drink Water ... Don't!

I'm rooting for you, 2NJ!

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2009, 10:43:51 AM »

So proud of you (both) for the effort. Keep on keepin' on -- it's the best we can do 

hugs

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »

So proud of you (both) for the effort. Keep on keepin' on -- it's the best we can do 

hugs

Due to what my family and I considered an adverse reaction to Chantix, I did not take the prescribed 2nd dose, yesterday.  Late yesterday afternoon, the tightness I had been feeling on the top of my head increased.  It was like I had a metal helmet on and it was being pressed in a vise.  Accompanying it was pressure on my chest, like an elephant was sitting on it, followed by sweating and anxiety (which was probably due to panic over the sensations).  My DH & sons were not home at the time, so I just tried to keep busy, until they returned.  They urged me to stop the med when they did get home.  I had had a few episodes of teariness over the past week & couldn't explain this without wanting to cry. 

Right now, I am feeling more like myself.  I had a good night's sleep, and have not smoked.  If I can use a low dose patch, that may help me, but I won't be able to contact my physician until Monday.  Right now, I'm just relieved I don't feel like I have a straight jacket on my brain....

Will keep you updated, as I'm sure this process will have some bumps & curves ahead. 

Again, thank you, all for your support.  It means a lot.  Mere, I had friends from HS that went into nursing and I remember them talking about Kents being the safer cigarettes.   Guess it was the thing at that time as I recall them saying the fiberglass in filters was harmful and Kent had a charcoal or other kind of filter.  Whatever.   

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2009, 01:19:12 PM »

Hang in there my friend.

It is good sense to listen to your body.

hugs

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2009, 08:19:54 PM »

2NJ - Hang in there!   You're doing great!   
I wonder if the Commit lozenges would work better for you?   My hubby likes those the best - when he is trying to quit.  They seem to have the least side-effects.

My hubby and I enjoyed being able to buy cigarettes at a discount price since we are military.   A carton usually costs us $48 but with the new taxes that just went into effect, they now cost $65 a carton on base.   HUGE increase.
I guess they must cost about $75-80 a carton off-base  (cigarettes have always been expensive here due to state taxes placed on them).

I keep thinking of all the money I'm saving and that makes me smile!   No more money going up in smoke for me! 

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »

2NJ- Please hang in there. I used patches. I started out with the 2nd stage because the 1st stage...21mg? was too strong for me. I checked the 14 mg out with my heart doc first and got the okay.

The urge for a ciggie will pass, do not give in to it!!!! I still get the craving at times and I ....just do NOT do it. Period.

You think about how you would feel about yourself if you were to give in. Find something else to do. I would sometimes go floss and brush my teeth to get my mind off of a cig. Then think about how clean and fresh your mouth is, not all stinked up with tar and nicotene!

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »

I just started Chantix a couple days ago.  I've prayed for God's strength and will power, as I am a die hard smoker.  But I have to put my faith in him to give me that strength , please pray, I stay strong.   I'm on my first week, where I can continue smoking, then the dose increases and after a week, I stop.   I just pray I can stay strong and have faith in God.

Thank you so much for this thread and knowing I'm not alone.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
eyecanCOOK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »

hugs

Due to what my family and I considered an adverse reaction to Chantix, I did not take the prescribed 2nd dose, yesterday.  Late yesterday afternoon, the tightness I had been feeling on the top of my head increased.  It was like I had a metal helmet on and it was being pressed in a vise.  Accompanying it was pressure on my chest, like an elephant was sitting on it, followed by sweating and anxiety (which was probably due to panic over the sensations).  My DH & sons were not home at the time, so I just tried to keep busy, until they returned.  They urged me to stop the med when they did get home.  I had had a few episodes of teariness over the past week & couldn't explain this without wanting to cry. 

Right now, I am feeling more like myself.  I had a good night's sleep, and have not smoked.  If I can use a low dose patch, that may help me, but I won't be able to contact my physician until Monday.  Right now, I'm just relieved I don't feel like I have a straight jacket on my brain....

Will keep you updated, as I'm sure this process will have some bumps & curves ahead. 

Again, thank you, all for your support.  It means a lot.  Mere, I had friends from HS that went into nursing and I remember them talking about Kents being the safer cigarettes.   Guess it was the thing at that time as I recall them saying the fiberglass in filters was harmful and Kent had a charcoal or other kind of filter.  Whatever.   
I hope that you are doing better today 2NJ reading what you said scared me kind of.....please be well.

Kindness is a word the deaf and dumb can understand. No ciggies for one year....ok on to year two
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2009, 09:53:45 AM »

First, I want to wish Dihannah the best with Chantix.  It does work, as I have read many reviews & members here have shared their good fortune with it.  I'd still be taking it if I had not had the reaction, which by some accounts may have been nicotine withdrawal.  I do not know how long the Chantix stays in one's body, but not having taken it in 24 hours, I do feel like myself, again.  Will see if a lower dose patch will be my next route.  I even was reading up on laser, since we know a couple people who did that a year or so ago.  It's expensive, so they say, but it worked for them. 

I did    later yesterday, had one then 3 hours later, another.  Too bad I blew the cold turkey that could have been because I had at least a half day or so in the bag.        Today is another day, I'm still a work in progress and definitely not throwing in the towel, but if some of you are shaking your head, I understand and deserve it. 

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2009, 10:45:03 AM »

Dihannah1 - you'll be in my prayers!   We're behind you all the way!

2NJ - No head shaking from me - only hugs.    Tomorrow is another day - we're here to support you!
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »

Thank you all for your support and prayers.  I need all the help I can get! 

I have heard about some of the bad side effects Chatix can cause to some people.  In fact I know of a girl who quit because of the vivid dreams she experiencing.  I do have them, but other than that, I'm not feeling any different, at least yet.  Because I am aware of the possible effects,  I'm keeping a close eye on how my body feels and how I think.   But, everybody is different, luckily I'm ok so far.   My quit date is next weds.  so now that I am at the point of increasing my dose, yesterday, according to the kit, hoping I start getting rid of the need for nicotine as much.

So I will keep you posted as well and CONGRATS to all those who have made it!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
jen3560
Monkey Junky

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »

2NJ - You don't deserve any head shaking at you!!!!

Chantix isn't for everyone, that's a certainty.

Hey - you're still on the right path, and that is all that matters!!!

jen3560
Monkey Junky

« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »

Dihannah - People ARE here for you.  Just shout out if you have any questions at all!!!!!
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2009, 01:28:35 PM »

Hi guys.   I have to confess that I smoked a couple of cigs last night.    I was really, really pissed and gave in.  It didn't taste very good.  I really didn't enjoy it, but it did relax me.    I have a splitting headache today  -  and no desire to smoke another cig.

I'm not going back to smoking, but I did slip up.    Having my husband still smoking doesn't help, because they are always cigs in the house - but that is really no excuse.    I am determined not to do it again.  But, I'm only human.

Thanks for listening.    Today is day one for me, again!   
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.