March 28, 2024, 05:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO QUIT SMOKING? HAVE YOU ALREADY QUIT? Tell your story!  (Read 136552 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #220 on: October 15, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »

I have smoked for 50 yrs and up until 2 days ago it was 3 pks a day. I have among other pets a little senior dog named Furby with medical problems. A very enlarged heart and diminished lung capacity. The vet told me not to smoke around her as I was jeopardizing her health. That's it I could smoke outside but not in the house or vehicles. My problem is anytime I've attempted to quit in the past is weight loss. I become a perpetual motion machine and don't have an appetite. I live alone and confess that I never learned how to cook and really have no interest in it. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions ?

No problem with weight loss (darn it).  How long have you been able to quit before?  I was able to quit using the patch and gum.  Even though I had plenty of energy and tried to keep busy so as not to think about smoking I still gained weight.  My metabolism changed IMO.  Now I'm slowly losing but it's been 2 years. 
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #221 on: October 15, 2010, 10:40:13 PM »

I have smoked for 50 yrs and up until 2 days ago it was 3 pks a day. I have among other pets a little senior dog named Furby with medical problems. A very enlarged heart and diminished lung capacity. The vet told me not to smoke around her as I was jeopardizing her health. That's it I could smoke outside but not in the house or vehicles. My problem is anytime I've attempted to quit in the past is weight loss. I become a perpetual motion machine and don't have an appetite. I live alone and confess that I never learned how to cook and really have no interest in it. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions ?

No problem with weight loss (darn it).  How long have you been able to quit before?  I was able to quit using the patch and gum.  Even though I had plenty of energy and tried to keep busy so as not to think about smoking I still gained weight.  My metabolism changed IMO.  Now I'm slowly losing but it's been 2 years. 
I quit for 6 mos and couldn't keep any weight on so went back to smoking. This time I quit cold turkey and am losing weight but not as bad as last time. The doctors just give me fits about the weight loss although it doesn't bother me. I'm just hoping to stabilize my weight before my next appointment with the oncologist or I'll pull the old ankle weights inside my boots. Monkey Devil!

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #222 on: October 15, 2010, 11:50:30 PM »

No problem with weight loss (darn it).  How long have you been able to quit before?  I was able to quit using the patch and gum.  Even though I had plenty of energy and tried to keep busy so as not to think about smoking I still gained weight.  My metabolism changed IMO.  Now I'm slowly losing but it's been 2 years.  
I quit for 6 mos and couldn't keep any weight on so went back to smoking. This time I quit cold turkey and am losing weight but not as bad as last time. The doctors just give me fits about the weight loss although it doesn't bother me. I'm just hoping to stabilize my weight before my next appointment with the oncologist or I'll pull the old ankle weights inside my boots. Monkey Devil!
If I may ask you a question..I have wondered about your signature line and what a zoo geeper is.

Edit to add explanation:  Back in 2005 right after the forum opened in the Natalee Holloway case, a poster called Scandi Noor was a member.  We suspected she was a relative of Joran van der Sloot.  She spoke in broken English, English was definitely not her first language.  Anyway, one night right before she was banned she said a few choice phrases.

1.  Grow a brain
2.  Did I do something wrong again Zoo Geeper
3.  He is a handsome sporter, a sweet boy

Anyway, that's where it came from, LOL
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:16:51 PM by klaasend » Logged

bananas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2010, 12:06:22 AM »

Same here, I gained about 30 pounds which I lost about 3 years after quitting.  Wish I would have lost a few when quitting.  I agree with you Klaas... my metabolism changed and now I can't eat nearly as many calories without gaining weight as I did then... but maybe that is because I am healthier too?

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me."
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »

No problem with weight loss (darn it).  How long have you been able to quit before?  I was able to quit using the patch and gum.  Even though I had plenty of energy and tried to keep busy so as not to think about smoking I still gained weight.  My metabolism changed IMO.  Now I'm slowly losing but it's been 2 years.  
If I may ask you a question..I have wondered about your signature line and what a zoo geeper is.

Edit to add explanation:  Back in 2005 right after the forum opened in the Natalee Holloway case, a poster called Scandi Noor was a member.  We suspected she was a relative of Joran van der Sloot.  She spoke in broken English, English was definitely not her first language.  Anyway, one night right before she was banned she said a few choice phrases.

1.  Grow a brain
2.  Did I do something wrong again Zoo Geeper
3.  He is a handsome sporter, a sweet boy

Anyway, that's where it came from, LOL

Thanks for the explanation. I've been curious about it since I became a member and didn't know where to ask the question without being seriously O/T   

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2011, 06:05:07 PM »

15 Ways Smoking Ruins Your Looks

Premature aging and wrinkles

Wrinkles look anything but wise when they show up on a relatively young person who smokes.

And show up they will. Experts agree that smoking accelerates aging, so that smokers look 1.4 years older than nonsmokers, on average.

Why the wrinkly face? Smoking hampers the blood supply that keeps skin tissue looking supple and healthy.

snip...more

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/quit-smoking/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100268530&gt1=31020

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
TexasBarMom
Scared Monkey

Me Oh My

« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2011, 10:58:52 PM »

OMG I can't believe I stumbled onto this thread, I usually hang out in the Caylee threads.
I guess sometimes things work out the way they're supposed to......
I have been smoking since I was 11 and am now 49.  I did quit once when I was in my 20s, for about a week, and all I really remember about that was that it was very hard because back then, everyone still smoked in the workplace and the smell was making me nauseous.  So I started smoking again.  Both parents and grandparents smoked (and the ones of those who are still living, still smoke).
I am going to be unemployed in a few days and have decided I want to quit smoking - I know I could never do that while working, because I'm going to spend at least a few days "non-functional" Smile   I plan to quit cold-turkey and sleep a lot, take walks and chew gum to overcome the cravings.   And not to be a procrastinator, but I think it might be smart to wait till Casey Anthony's trial is over!! lol.... Anyhow, thanks Klaas for having this thread.  I haven't read all the stories yet, but definitely will!
Aurelia7
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »

I just found this thread too!  I need to quit sometime soon, but only after I've dropped the 15 pounds that I need to, because I've heard you gain weight when you stop.

Hopefully it won't be too hard, as I'm not a really heavy smoker.  A pack lasts me several days and I can work an 8 hour day without smoking and if I'm on a vacation with the parents for a weekend, I can go without.  My problem seems to be that it's a habit and also something I do out of boredom.  Or if I go have drinks.  Otherwise, I don't really have the urge; especially when I'm super busy.

I haven't picked a quit day yet (definitely soon!) but I will check back here for support and to read more stories.  We should have a monkey smiley boxing a cigarette!  (Like the monkey boxing Casey one.)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2011, 10:55:52 PM »

I just found this thread too!  I need to quit sometime soon, but only after I've dropped the 15 pounds that I need to, because I've heard you gain weight when you stop.

Hopefully it won't be too hard, as I'm not a really heavy smoker.  A pack lasts me several days and I can work an 8 hour day without smoking and if I'm on a vacation with the parents for a weekend, I can go without.  My problem seems to be that it's a habit and also something I do out of boredom.  Or if I go have drinks.  Otherwise, I don't really have the urge; especially when I'm super busy.

I haven't picked a quit day yet (definitely soon!) but I will check back here for support and to read more stories.  We should have a monkey smiley boxing a cigarette!  (Like the monkey boxing Casey one.)

Sounds to me like you aren't really addicted to the nicotine like I was but just have a habit.  I think it will be easier for you.  Usually you do gain weight but I'm thinking you might not since there is no real addiction.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »

I personally recommend using the patch and the gum.  I'm not crazy about Zyban or Chantix.  I tried Zyban once and it made me feel really weird.  I've known two people that after using chantix to successfully quit smoking they had a heart attack.  They survived but still.  Now they are linking Chantix to heart attacks so I don't recommend using it.

The patch and gum have been around for years. 
Aurelia7
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2011, 12:37:57 AM »

Sounds to me like you aren't really addicted to the nicotine like I was but just have a habit.  I think it will be easier for you.  Usually you do gain weight but I'm thinking you might not since there is no real addiction.

You are the first person who has agreed with me about the "habit" theory.  Everyone else has told me that I am addicted and that I am in denial.  I always thought it was more of a habit with me because I don't get that "skin crawling" feeling if I don't have one.  It's more like there's certain things that trigger the desire to smoke, for me.  Such as having tea in the morning and watching the news.  Or after I eat something.  Or if a good song comes on the radio while driving.  Weird, eh?

Anyway, thanks for the advice!  Not sure if I need the patch, but I'll definitely try the gum.   Very Happy
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2011, 08:33:43 AM »

I didn't realize this thread existed. I have smoked off and on since I was 18.  Nothing too serious. Mainly if I was in the company of someone else that smoked. In 2008, I had a serious surgery coming up and I had been smoking quite a bit prior to this (around six months). I started taking Wellbutrin and though it made me feel funny for about a month I stuck with it. I kept smoking while taking it (which you are suppose to do) and I slowly started smoking less and less until one day I just didn't want it. I really like the Wellbutrin and I recommend it to most people. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer last summer...she has smoked since she was 12. They were able to get the cancer through aggressive radiation and chemo. She didn't quit smoking though and it came back with a vengeance three months later. They found the cancer in her brain and again in her lungs. She is still smoking. They were able to get the cancer out of her brain with radiation and are currently fighting the cancer in her lungs. She has said, "for the life of me I do not know why my brain will not let me put these cigarettes, that are killing me, down." She also says that she does not think that it is an addiction, but a habit. But that is what an addiction is...by smoking she has trained her brain to expect a cigarette while watching tv or riding in the car and so on...she didn't necessarily get hooked the very first time that she tried the cigarette but after repeatedly smoking in likely the same situations. She has tried the patch, the gum, the electronic cigarette, but she hasn't tried Wellbutrin. I think that she is afraid that it will interfere with her treatment. Good luck with quitting...I will send a prayer.  Seeing her fight for her life makes me sad that cigarettes are even sold.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Aurelia7
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »

Thanks for the input, labubske!  When I use the word "addiction," I'm referring to a "physical" addiction to nicotine.  What I meant to say is that I know my habit is an addiction to the act itself but I don't think I suffer from a physical addiction to nicotine as I don't get the shakes if I go hours without a smoke.  Nor do I feel any different after I've smoked a cigarette.  It's just a really stupid habit that I need to do away with.  And soon.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2011, 05:49:06 PM »

Thanks for the input, labubske!  When I use the word "addiction," I'm referring to a "physical" addiction to nicotine.  What I meant to say is that I know my habit is an addiction to the act itself but I don't think I suffer from a physical addiction to nicotine as I don't get the shakes if I go hours without a smoke.  Nor do I feel any different after I've smoked a cigarette.  It's just a really stupid habit that I need to do away with.  And soon.

I understand what you are saying.  It makes a lot of sense.  I believe that there are true addicts and those that appear to be addicts by forming a habit...my Mom is a true addict. She cannot stop even in the face of death itself. 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »

I understand what you are saying.  It makes a lot of sense.  I believe that there are true addicts and those that appear to be addicts by forming a habit...my Mom is a true addict. She cannot stop even in the face of death itself. 

Oh...and you are welcome.  I sure didn't mean any disrespect to you in commenting on the addiction versus habit. I meant it more toward my Mom who truly is an addict.  Best of luck at quitting...it isn't easy.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »

You are the first person who has agreed with me about the "habit" theory.  Everyone else has told me that I am addicted and that I am in denial.  I always thought it was more of a habit with me because I don't get that "skin crawling" feeling if I don't have one.  It's more like there's certain things that trigger the desire to smoke, for me.  Such as having tea in the morning and watching the news.  Or after I eat something.  Or if a good song comes on the radio while driving.  Weird, eh?

Anyway, thanks for the advice!  Not sure if I need the patch, but I'll definitely try the gum.   Very Happy

My husband, who smoked about as many years as I, just plain wasn't as addicted as I was.  He had a bad habit but not addiction.  In other words, when he went without a cigarette he didn't necessarily want to kill someone. Monkey Devil!  He quit when I did but he quit cold turkey.  I could have never quit cold turkey.  My husband still jokes that I had patches on my patches at first  Monkey Devil!
Aurelia7
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »

LOL, klaas...patches on your patches!  Your husband is lucky it was so easy for him to quit.

One interesting thing I found out about my smoking habit:  A few years ago a friend was watching me smoke and she said that I don't inhale.  Of course I do, was my reply, but then she told me to inhale and draw the smoke into my lungs.  I did and ended up coughing for several minutes.  So she was right, I don't inhale that deeply, I just suck the smoke in my mouth, it hits the back of my throat and then I exhale.  Do most smokers suck it in all the way down to their lungs?  Cuz that seems weird to me...and too much effort!

Oh...and you are welcome.  I sure didn't mean any disrespect to you in commenting on the addiction versus habit. I meant it more toward my Mom who truly is an addict.  Best of luck at quitting...it isn't easy.

No worries...as I took no offense to what you had to say.  And I hope that your mother wins her fight.  Prayers to her.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »

Thanks Aurelia...prayers are what has helped her through this far.  I will gladly accept more. Smile

Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »

Thanks Aurelia...prayers are what has helped her through this far.  I will gladly accept more. Smile

Prayers for your Mom labubske..I hope she can finally quit.

I am working on quitting..but it has not been going well.  I am using the gum..but still smoking at times.  I have cut way down..but this is just seneless. I am getting ready to try cold turkey..but that scares me..I think it may end in tears and fraustration.

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
SarahD
Scared Monkey

Never give up!

« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »

I know I'm late coming into this topic, but I just found it and if my quitting story helps just one person, than I don't mind being late.

I first started smoking at 16 and quit in 1989.  I tried quitting many times, unsuccessfully until I realized that I was unsuccessful because I would throw away all the cigarettes I had and couldn't smoke.  That drove me crazy. I would run to the store and buy more.  I wasn't ever going to quit.

Finally, I thought I would try buying a pack of cigarettes and not opening them. I would carry that pack with me everywhere I went.  When I felt I needed a cigarette I would take out the pack and ask myself if I wanted it bad enough to open the pack.  I'd say no and put the pack back unopened.  This way, I only had to quit smoking one cigarette at a time and I knew I could open the pack and have one any time I wanted.   I carried that pack for a year (unopened) before I felt I could throw it away. I've never smoked since.

No patch, no gum... just one quit one at a time.  Good luck to anyone who is trying to break the habit!

Have a Sunshine Day!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.