March 28, 2024, 09:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO QUIT SMOKING? HAVE YOU ALREADY QUIT? Tell your story!  (Read 136541 times)
Aurelia7
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #240 on: October 03, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »

A friend gave me this to read:

Every single person I've talked to who read this book ended up being able to quit very easily.  I blasted through the first 6 chapters but then put it aside.  Why?  Because by the time you finish the book, you will be a non-smoker.  You are supposed to smoke while you are reading the book -- that's the key.  And as I was going through the chapters, every time I had a smoke I thought, "What the heck am I doing this for?"  The book explains smoking in a way that makes you not want to do it.  The part that really gripped me was how smoking was described as "suffocating yourself" and it really is!  Every time you inhale, you aren't getting pure air and you ARE suffocating.  I don't know why that simple truth never occurred to me.

So back to the reason I've set the book aside:  I KNOW it's going to work.  So I'm foolishly doing what many others have done which is to delay finishing the book because they don't feel ready to quit!  But this dilemma is covered in the upcoming chapters.  I've just got to pick it back up and read it.  Which I will.  After one more pack.   Rolling Eyes
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #241 on: February 01, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »

Aurelia

Thank-you for the book.  I will suggest this book in a discreet way, saying someone told me about a book, which is true.

I quit smoking a long time ago with toothpicks, it is still hard.  The car windows would get brown from smoking, discussing.

I wish you good luck, when you are ready to quit smoking, if I could quit smoking, anyone can.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #242 on: February 01, 2012, 08:13:57 PM »

http://www.princeton.edu/uhs/healthy-living/hot-topics/drugs-and-smoking/#caffeine

Drugs and Smoking

CAFFEINE

What are the short-term and long-term effects of caffeine?

Caffeine takes about an hour to affect you (less on an empty stomach), and usually lasts 4-6 hours. Because caffeine is a stimulant, most people experience increased alertness, blood pressure, and breathing rate. These effects are mostly due to caffeine increasing your metabolic rate (though it has not been linked to weight loss). The drug is a diuretic, causing increased urination which can lead to dehydration. Caffeine makes many people feel jittery, “on edge,” and unable to sleep. Long-term use can lead to nervousness, insomnia, dehydration, stomach irritation, and fatigue.

http://www.princeton.edu/uhs/healthy-living/hot-topics/drugs-and-smoking/#caffeine

::snipping2::

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »

This is my 3rd full day without a cigarette.  I am using the patch which to me is not much use.  I had a scare with a spot on my lung and it scared me so bad that everytime I want one I think about what I have just gone through.  The word "cancer" will absolutely stop your life in it's track.

Here's hoping I can keep this up.  They did a pet scan and it came back negative for any cancer anywhere.  My spot will have to be checked periodically from here on out but that is a small price to pay for what I have put my lungs through all my life.

Take it from me, QUIT now before it is too late!

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »

This is my 3rd full day without a cigarette.  I am using the patch which to me is not much use.  I had a scare with a spot on my lung and it scared me so bad that everytime I want one I think about what I have just gone through.  The word "cancer" will absolutely stop your life in it's track.

Here's hoping I can keep this up.  They did a pet scan and it came back negative for any cancer anywhere.  My spot will have to be checked periodically from here on out but that is a small price to pay for what I have put my lungs through all my life.

Try when you get a strong urge also chewing on maybe 1/4 piece of nicotine gum.  That got me through some of the really rough spots. 

CONGRATULATIONS...you are past the very worst stage at 3 days.  YOU CAN DO IT!   
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »

Try when you get a strong urge also chewing on maybe 1/4 piece of nicotine gum.  That got me through some of the really rough spots. 

I have an electronic cigarette--they are recommending that now also.  Not the same as a cigarette but it helps me to "imagine" I am smoking.  I am finding it a little easier with each passing day.  As I said, all I have to do is remember those scan and tests that I have had the last week and 1/2 and I seem to be able to fight off the urge really good.  I am cooking dinner today, son and hubby is at his sister's house, and my son told me before he left NOT to touch a cig, I told him I have gone this far so hopefully I can fight it off and keep it up.  Nothing like a scare to wake you up.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2012, 09:18:44 PM »

You know what is bad right now?  Tonight for some reason all I want after eating a great meal, washing all the dishes and putting away the leftovers---I WANT A CIGARETTE SO BAD!

I told my hubby I am so consumed right now thinking about it.  First time in over 3 days that I have had this craving.  But so far I have fought it off.  Guess I will have to find something else to do right now to keep me busy.  I refuse to give in.  I prayed that if He would make me be o.k. that I would give cigs up and I meant it.  I just didn't realize how hard that promise was going to be to keep.

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2012, 12:40:51 AM »

You know what is bad right now?  Tonight for some reason all I want after eating a great meal, washing all the dishes and putting away the leftovers---I WANT A CIGARETTE SO BAD!

I told my hubby I am so consumed right now thinking about it.  First time in over 3 days that I have had this craving.  But so far I have fought it off.  Guess I will have to find something else to do right now to keep me busy.  I refuse to give in.  I prayed that if He would make me be o.k. that I would give cigs up and I meant it.  I just didn't realize how hard that promise was going to be to keep.

Thinking of you Blue Moon.  I wish my Mom would have quit when the docs found her first spot.  She kept smoking and died a year and a half later.  Prayers for the cravings to cease. 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »

Those are the times I would add the GUM.  It really does help and you never know when you are going to get those really strong urges.  Just 1/4 piece of the gum will take the edge off.   
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #249 on: November 24, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »

Those are the times I would add the GUM.  It really does help and you never know when you are going to get those really strong urges.  Just 1/4 piece of the gum will take the edge off.   

I will have to get some and try it.  Last night I dreamed I smoked a cigarette.  It tasted so good.  We went out of town this morning and just got home.  My hubby asked me if I thought I was going to make it.  I told him I just keep telling myself this will pass and so far it has.  I am even getting more energy and not coughing hardly anymore.  I have this printed out and keeping it in front of me:

If you quit smoking right now, at 09:51 AM (EST) on November 24, 2012, here is
what will begin to happen immediately:

10:11 AM (in 20 minutes): Your heart rate drops.
9:51 PM (in 12 hours): The carbon monoxide (a gas that can be toxic) in your blood drops to
normal.
Dec. 8, 2012 - Feb. 24, 2013 (in 2 weeks to 3 months): Your heart attack risk begins to
drop and your lungs are working better.
Dec. 24, 2012 - Aug. 24, 2013 (in 1 to 9 months): Your coughing and shortness of breath
decrease and your lungs start to function better, lowering your risk of lung infection.
Nov. 24, 2013 (in 1 year): Your risk for heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
Nov. 24, 2017 (in five years): Your risk of having a stroke is the same as someone who
doesn't smoke.
Nov. 24, 2022 (in 10 years): Your risk of dying from lung cancer is half that of a smoker's.
Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas also
decreases.
Nov. 24, 2027 (in 15 years): Your risk of heart disease is now the same as someone who
doesn't smoke.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #250 on: November 24, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »

BlueMoon - I was shocked at how quickly I stopped coughing!  Keep up the good work, you can do it!
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #251 on: November 24, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »

BlueMoon - I was shocked at how quickly I stopped coughing!  Keep up the good work, you can do it!

Thanks Klaas for hanging with me on this. I am so determined to do this.  My son has already scolded me that if he see's me with a cig in my hand he is going to throw anything and everything away that is associated with smoking.  I guess I really scared him to death also.  He hugged me and told me he loved me and cried when I told him the test results.  I HAVE to do this not only for myself but for him also.

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #252 on: November 26, 2012, 07:58:06 PM »

O.K., I have been one full week without a cigarette, a miracle for me!

So far I have been able to overcome my urge to smoke.  I keep reminding myself about all the scarey tests and scans I just went through this past week and how overjoyed I was when they told me NO Cancer!  It is amazing what you can do once you get the worst news on your health that you have ever received.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #253 on: November 26, 2012, 08:12:07 PM »

So far I have been able to overcome my urge to smoke.  I keep reminding myself about all the scarey tests and scans I just went through this past week and how overjoyed I was when they told me NO Cancer!  It is amazing what you can do once you get the worst news on your health that you have ever received.

A FULL WEEK!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!  KEEP IT UP, I KNOW YOU CAN!!

I bet your family is very proud of you!  It's hard, believe me I know.  You're doing great! 
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #254 on: November 27, 2012, 10:01:45 AM »

Well, I guess I am off to the store to get some gum.  Klaas, today is really bad.  My patch came off last night (non name-brand and doesn't stick really well) and this morning all I have wanted is a cig.  I put a new patch on but that is all I can think about.  I am feeling really sad and missing my cig at the moment.  Guess I will run to the store and get some nicotine gum and see if that helps.

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #255 on: November 27, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »

Well, I guess I am off to the store to get some gum.  Klaas, today is really bad.  My patch came off last night (non name-brand and doesn't stick really well) and this morning all I have wanted is a cig.  I put a new patch on but that is all I can think about.  I am feeling really sad and missing my cig at the moment.  Guess I will run to the store and get some nicotine gum and see if that helps.

It took half a day to overcome that urge for a cigarette but I did it!  I guess I am going to have to  invest in another name brand patch that will not come off so easily.  This is not any fun.  I am going to get the gum though to see if that helps.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #256 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »

It took half a day to overcome that urge for a cigarette but I did it!  I guess I am going to have to  invest in another name brand patch that will not come off so easily.  This is not any fun.  I am going to get the gum though to see if that helps.

It will help, get it.  Just keep it around in case. 
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #257 on: November 28, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »

WAY TO GO!!!! 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #258 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:08 PM »

WAY TO GO!!!! 

thanks a lot.  I am really quite proud of myself.  I just did not know I had it in me to do this.  I appreciate the encouragement.  I am using this spot on Scared Monkeys site to post my bad spots in the road.  It helps to say it and move on.

Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »

It has been two full weeks.  Ya know, I might be able to survive this.  So far so good.  The urge to smoke is starting to diminish.  I still cannot believe I haven't reached for a cigarette.  I might be able to go on and throw them away now.  I have yet to reach over and touched  them and haven't wanted to pick one up and smoke it.

My breathing is so much better and I am sleeping better at night.  So far I have put on very little weight but I know it is coming so I am trying to watch what I eat.

Hope I can keep this up.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.