March 29, 2024, 01:49:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO QUIT SMOKING? HAVE YOU ALREADY QUIT? Tell your story!  (Read 136563 times)
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 04:53:50 PM »

Well, here I am, still talking to myself here in this support thread....        

Doctor prescribed Chantix and I am nervous about taking it.  Hubby countered with argument that he & our sons want me to stop smoking and want to help me.  When I said I'm concerned about the side effects, he just got impatient and said, well, just keep smoking, then.  I'm not sure where this is all going.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:46:52 PM by 2NJSons_Mom » Logged

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »

Doctor prescribed Chantix and I am nervous about taking it.  Hubby countered with argument that he & our sons want me to stop smoking and want to help me.  When I said I'm concerned about the side effects, he just got impatient and said, well, just keep smoking, then.  I'm not sure where this is all going.

I saw something online about Cig that was battery operated from China.  It gave one the satisfaction of a cig without the harmful chemicals. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:48:14 PM by 2NJSons_Mom » Logged

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »

I saw something online about Cig that was battery operated from China.  It gave one the satisfaction of a cig without the harmful chemicals. 

Yes, in my research, I found a lot of ads.  Thanks, Always 1.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »

Yes, in my research, I found a lot of ads.  Thanks, Always 1.
Youre welcome - best of luck.

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
nimrod
Scared Monkey

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 08:30:18 PM »

A triple by-pass worked for me. However, I've been hooked on nicotine gum ever since.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:48 PM »

A triple by-pass worked for me. However, I've been hooked on nicotine gum ever since.

Triple by-pass, I'll pass...if it's in the cards.  We know someone who has been hooked on the nicorette gum for years.  I bought it years ago and never tried it.  It was after I used the patch.

I have the Chantix...just not sure I want to try it.  Will let you know.  Thanks, Nimrod, for your input.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »

Triple by-pass, I'll pass...if it's in the cards.  We know someone who has been hooked on the nicorette gum for years.  I bought it years ago and never tried it.  It was after I used the patch.

I have the Chantix...just not sure I want to try it.  Will let you know.  Thanks, Nimrod, for your input.

2NJ, the patch really did work for me followed up by the gum for a while.  I never tried the Chantix but I've heard some people swear by it.  If for any reason you feel "funny" after taking it I'd try the patch.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »

2NJ, the patch really did work for me followed up by the gum for a while.  I never tried the Chantix but I've heard some people swear by it.  If for any reason you feel "funny" after taking it I'd try the patch.

I read that the patch raises blood pressure and doctor confirmed it & said I shouldn't use it.  Last I used the patch was before my blood pressure got out of hand & was on meds for it.  He wanted me to try the Chantix.  I took my first today.  If I start to act stranger than I usually am, please let me know. 

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »

I read that the patch raises blood pressure and doctor confirmed it & said I shouldn't use it.  Last I used the patch was before my blood pressure got out of hand & was on meds for it.  He wanted me to try the Chantix.  I took my first today.  If I start to act stranger than I usually am, please let me know

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2009, 07:36:33 AM »

I will send you prayers of strength.

I know several who have had no problem with the Chantrix. I think that's what jen used.

I think she had 'interesting' dreams -- but nothing that horrifying.

I know you are smart enough to STOP the Chantrix if your reaction to it is unsettling.

I'm glad you are doing this for health.

You are a beautiful heart and soul, and are loved for those qualities.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Buckeye
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »

I know of many heavy smokers that have successfully quit, when taking Chantrix.

Cardiologists prescribe it daily. 

I get nervous with medicine, also,  but I believe your body will thank you for this effort.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »

Thanks you Klaas, Sharon & Buckeye.  Positive thoughts are always a blessing.  Hubby has been on the patch for a week, so he's ahead of me on this process.  I have to reprogram my thought process & habits because I've been a smoker for more years than I want to say. 

Sharon, maybe Jen will find her way here to give some additional reinforcement. 

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

jen3560
Monkey Junky

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 08:44:43 AM »

Thanks you Klaas, Sharon & Buckeye.  Positive thoughts are always a blessing.  Hubby has been on the patch for a week, so he's ahead of me on this process.  I have to reprogram my thought process & habits because I've been a smoker for more years than I want to say. 

Sharon, maybe Jen will find her way here to give some additional reinforcement. 

2NJ!!!!!!

I did successfully quit using Chantix.  As did my employer.  We quit together in November 2007.  Neither has smoked since.

Sharon is right - I had some pretty funky dreams while taking it.  But that really was the extent of "weirdness" for me.

My boss had zero side effects - not even weird dreams.

What I loved about Chantix, is that it helped me with the anxiety of leaving my "friends" behind.  Those lovely cigs that I didn't think I could do without. 

That you keep smoking when you start taking it is what made me want to try it.

And everyone is different, from what I've heard.

Yes - set your quit date, and work toward it.................but it's not overly critical that you hit that date.

The medication in the drug will make you NOT WANT to smoke anymore - and the best part..................it'll make you NOT CARE that you don't want to smoke anymore.

No stress, no anxiety.................and no feeling of "loss".

For me, I had to develop an alternate hand to mouth activity though -  and not food, if I didn't want to gain a ton of weight.

I started chewing on my pen.  Not the healthiest thing for the teeth - but it really works for me.  I STILL do it, LOL.

And I don't even think about wanting a cig.  THAT is the amazing part for me.  I'm to the point where I can't even stand to smell it on other people, LOL.

And I never thought I'd be a hypocrite like that. 

jen3560
Monkey Junky

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »

As for my boss..................

He smoked for 40 years - 2 to 3 packs per day.  He had tried quitting before, with the patch, the gum, etc.  Nothing ever worked for him.  he would always start smoking again.

But not this time.  He didn't think Chantix would work for him either, and he was very pleasantly surprised.

He quit smoking earlier than his target quit date, LOL.  And he hasn't looked back since.

He says it does get a bit rough when he's having people over and there is drinking going on - but other than that, he doesn't think about wanting to smoke.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 10:20:04 AM »

Thanks, Jen.  Today is the first day I will be taking 2 tablets.  I told my husband last night that I have noticed a subtle change in my urges to smoke, yet I am still smoking, as you've noted you can do with Chantix.  Your boss must be near my age, and I also failed with the patch, gum and cold turkey in the past. 

Yesterday, I started to have a little abdominal distress, but hubby also had had it a few days ago.  He thought it could be the patch, and now I am not so sure.  I have noticed some dreams, but they are just vivid so far and nothing weird.  They seem to be a replay of things going on in my day, even dialogue about monkey friend topics.

You hit the nail on the head with the separation anxiety or fear of not dealing with it.  Cigarettes have been with me a long time.  I was never one who sat through a long meeting or function 'dying' for a smoke, but never wanted to be left with 2 in my pack without a spare in the cabinet. 

As for the smell....when they closed our office in 2003, they kept me on to work from home.  I worked and smoked in my home until that job was eliminated in 2006.  Needless to say, I noticed it on everything.  Stale and nasty.  A past co-worker friend informed me that the girl who acquired my laptop complained it smelled of smoke.....and I had cleaned it before packing it up for the provisioning center.  Part of me was embarrassed, and the other part said, tough sh*t.     (not nice, but it was how I felt back then)

Thank you for sharing your success story.  I'll keep plugging away here, hoping I can do the same.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:22:56 AM by 2NJSons_Mom » Logged

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

jen3560
Monkey Junky

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 10:54:48 AM »

You're welcome!!!

I'm so excited for you!!!!!  I really think you are going to be amazed at the changes in the way your brain and body think about smoking.

I had one stresser that made me want to smoke right in the beginning.  But I powered thru it.  It was only for a brief moment during a stressful situation that spanned a few days - and I was amazed it was only for that brief moment that I was even tempted.

Please post updates here - and I'll be happy to answer any questions that might come up, if I can.

Be proud of yourself - and don't let it kick you in the hiney if you don't stop on your target date.  It will happen, when your body and mind are ready for it to.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »

5th day on Chantix.  2nd day on AM & PM doses.  Stil smoking but am aware of less of an urge to do so.  Never thought I'd be on a mind altering drug, sotospeak.  Giving it my best shot.   

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2009, 11:04:01 PM »

5th day on Chantix.  2nd day on AM & PM doses.  Stil smoking but am aware of less of an urge to do so.  Never thought I'd be on a mind altering drug, sotospeak.  Giving it my best shot.   

Hang in there 2Nj    We're rootin' for you.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
jen3560
Monkey Junky

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »

Yeah, the whole mind altering aspect of it is a bit surreal, huh?

Are you feeling pretty calm yet?  Or maybe apathetic is the word I'm looking for.  Apathetic about whether or not you smoke another?
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 11:15:59 AM »

Yeah, the whole mind altering aspect of it is a bit surreal, huh?

Are you feeling pretty calm yet?  Or maybe apathetic is the word I'm looking for.  Apathetic about whether or not you smoke another?

That calm or apathy is only coming in waves, if that makes sense.  Not sure how quickly it happened to you.  I have to keep busy, because the idle time is more likely to have me lighting up.   Still working on breaking those old habits.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.