April 18, 2024, 08:05:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO QUIT SMOKING? HAVE YOU ALREADY QUIT? Tell your story!  (Read 136797 times)
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2009, 09:09:04 PM »

Sassy - how are you doing???

2NJ - you're support here is so appreciated...thank you and good luck at the doc's!

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »

Sassy - how are you doing???

2NJ - you're support here is so appreciated...thank you and good luck at the doc's!

Hi Leroy.   I'm doing ok.   I really wanted one over the weekend, I guess because my daughter who quit on January 4 decided to buy a pack and smoke (she was fighting with her boyfriend).   Since she did that, I feel like I lost my "quit smoking buddy".    My hubby didn't last long in his quest to quit, and now my daughter is back at it.   

Speaking of "QUEST" - I never heard of it.   I'm going to check that out for my hubby.   If you and Roxi team up to kick this nasty habbit, I think it will help.   Having you guys hold me accountable is helping me.   Thanks all.
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2009, 03:36:38 PM »

I quit smoking cold turkey on 3/28/09!!  My son's 13th Birthday.  This was not a planned date by any means, however I got very sick early that Saturday morning and have stayed sick all weekend.   I figured I have gone almost 3 days - might as well keep on going!!  I do the have the patch on standby if I need it!!   
demonKatt
Scared Monkey

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »

Wow!  Glad I found this thread.  I am Day 4 with no cigs!  It is hard, and I felt so alone!   I didn't plan this either, it just kind of "fell" on me.  I ran out.  Normally I budget 2 cartons of smokes-this month that amount only got me one carton cause the prices here doubled.  Tried to make them last and just plain ran out.  No one has any money I can borrow and no one has a any spare cigs-we all got taken by surprise with this rate increase.  So I just got mad and said Fine, i will quit.  It really hasn't been as bad as I thought.  I had 2 smokes I would smoke 2 drags, put it out.  I did this for 2 days.  Now I have none.  It is cold turkey.  I have found, (a new addiction) vegetable Ritz crackers.  When I really feel I need a smoke, I eat some. I will gain 20 pounds I am sure, but I figure I can lose that after.  It also helps to drink water when I start feeling the need for a smoke. 
     I did try Chantix last summer-it made me very very sick.  Worse than being pregnant.  I was lying on the couch, unable to eat any foods-it did not take away my urge to smoke-it took away my appetite and made me violently ill when I ate.  I saw the doctor after 2weeks on it (I was stubborn and determined to stick it out)-when I saw her I was about a day away from a heart attack. It gave me chest pain, but I thought it was nicotine withdrawal.
    I had the commit lozenges and nicorette gum, another time I wanted to quit, but I had diarrhea from them.  So I went on smoking, again.
    This time, it just seemed to be the right thing to do.  I don't want to pay that much to smoke, and I have smoked for 42 years.  I just decided, no more.  I guess wanting to stop makes the difference.  When you don't really want to quit, I think it is harder to do.  I have learned already where I need to change 'habit' smoking-when I have a fresh cup of coffee, when a TV show comes on I always watch comes, after dinner.  Phone calls..always good for several smokes. 
I also went through and cleaned my whole house with a lemon cleaner, so it smells nice and fresh,  Yup, even the computer desk and all the components on it.  I smell the lemon fresh and I don't want to reek it up with smoke.  I steamed my rug and my furniture.  (Of course, those originally were to keep me busy so I wouldn't want to smoke, but I found  wanting to keep the lemony-fresh smell was the outcome.)
   So, amazingly, I am doing okay with not smoking and made it to today, day 4.  I still had the lozenges and gum, but didn't want to use them, as I want to end the nicotine addiction, not change it for another form.  But I did find I needed to have a lozenge today-the panic was taking over and the urge to smoke was beginning to overwhelm me.  So I had a lozenge, but not the whole thing-I rolled it around in my mouth for 2 or 3 minutes, then took it out.  I have done that twice more since 9 am this morning.  Now it has been about 2 hours and I am trying to not use it again.  But I know it is better to use that then actually smoke a cigarette.
   I really hope I can do this.  The true test will be on the first, when I get my check-will I buy some smokes?  Or will I stay with my quitting?  It will be day 6 on the first.  Wish me luck!!

I read a lot, post infrequently..(very shy)..
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »

Everyone: 

Mytime and demonkatt:      Good job!  Glad you're joining us!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »

Good for you, mytime, demonKatt, Sassycat, Leroy and anyone I am forgetting. 

DemonKatt, you are right about cleaning and keeping busy.....I am going through some paper junk, getting ready for recycling this week.  It does help...but I am still smoking. 

Keep us updated. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »

I know some monkeys have tried Chantix and had problems with it. If you have tried it, please elaborate on the the problems.

My mom talked to her brother in law that is a pulmonologist and he says his patients have had a 90% success rate at quitting.

JSM can't afford to keep smoking if ciggies keep going up due to taxes. Hell I pay more in cigarette taxes than I do to the IRS. 

Any help would be appreciated. TIA JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2009, 09:32:39 PM »

I know some monkeys have tried Chantix and had problems with it. If you have tried it, please elaborate on the the problems.

My mom talked to her brother in law that is a pulmonologist and he says his patients have had a 90% success rate at quitting.

JSM can't afford to keep smoking if ciggies keep going up due to taxes. Hell I pay more in cigarette taxes than I do to the IRS. 

JSM, read back or look online for the reviews on adverse reactions.  I have posted more than once that there are positive results.  I think the website says 44%...not positive....but I am not one of them.   

I'm sure someone else may chime in...this is all I have right now. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2009, 10:09:17 PM »

JSM, read back or look online for the reviews on adverse reactions.  I have posted more than once that there are positive results.  I think the website says 44%...not positive....but I am not one of them.   

I'm sure someone else may chime in...this is all I have right now. 
Thanks NJ mom, I will look it up. I am only hearing from my mom and her doctor husband and brother in law. I tried wellbutrin and it sort of helped, but I was also running 3 miles a day. Now I am old and falling apart.. Thanks for the help

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
demonKatt
Scared Monkey

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2009, 11:52:54 PM »

I know many people who used Chantix with no problems and much success.  My son's friends grandmother is 60 something and she just quit using Chantix-she had smoked over 50 years.  I was just one of the few who can't, but to be fair, I am allergic to many many medications.  (and foods)..

I read a lot, post infrequently..(very shy)..
RoxiBalboa
Scared Monkey

« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »

2NJ, thanks for the website.
 I did find some Quest cigs and have been smoking them since Friday morning. So this is day 5. I do feel the absence of nicotine but I am finding this way easier than not smoking at all. I am not saying this works, it's too soon to say that. But I will tell you that I had some "real" cigarettes left over and have not touched them. Only twice did I even remember them. Once when I was upset with hubby, and after mopping my hardwood floors (which is a huge area and I felt I'd 'earned' a smoke). I didn't smoke a "real" cigarette, grabbed a Quest instead. I am hoping that once I really adjust to not having nicotine in my system, then I can turn my attention to dropping the habit of holding, puffing, exhaling, etc. Here's the really nice part though. I don't smell like smoke. Its strange, but without all the drugs that are in real cigarettes, my hair doesn't stink, fingers, clothes. I'm not sure how it works that way, but even hubby said he can't smell smoke on me. He also pointed out to me last night at the dinner table that I was saying "mmmmmm" while eating an ordinary roll with butter. He said he's never heard me "mmmmm" over food. So maybe I am already starting to taste things better, or perhaps I just got a good brand of butter, who knows. LOL. I'm very interested in the stages of not smoking. Like, when do you start to taste things better, when is all the nicotine out of your system, etc etc. I might go look for some info on that stuff and bring it here.

Leroy- April 1st, I'm in! If I do smoke Quest or herbal cigs, that's not cheating right? I'm giving up nicotine first, then the other habit. I'm repeating myself, more for myself, sorry. We can do this!!! I only check in online a couple times a week but I will be here to check on you and support you. And everyone and anyone else who needs it. You ALL can do this!

Just a sidenote: if the commit lozenges work for people then that is super great. Anything that works is great. But my doctor asked me not to use them as you end up with a new addiction, to the lozenges. Trading one nicotine habit for another. Do they sell them in declining doses? I'm not up to speed on how they are sold, but make sure you are atleast decreasing like the patch would decrease in dosage.

Sassy, don't let your family be your downfall. Lead by example. Try to not think of it as, hey they are smoking so I am going to smoke too. Think of it more like, I will set a great example for them and not smoke! I used to have the mindset, and I'd say it often, "My daddy didn't raise a quitter! I will not quit smoking!" It's a joke but it's not. We make excuses, great ones, in our minds, just to keep smoking. You think of it as you want to smoke becuz you lost your quit buddy. Think of it in this way....your buddy lost her way and you will just bring her back in.

mytime, keep going!!!!! Sorry you were sick, hope you are better now. Best of luck!

demonkatt- wtg!!! and don't buy those smokes! 4 days is quite an accomplishment. good luck  Just think what you can afford if you give up cigarettes. We joke at my house that if I quit smoking I can use the money saved to botox my face, since the cigs have ruined my face as well. But hubby might not be laughing the day I come home with a face that won't move. LOLOL

JSM, I think Chantix is a person by person basis. Its great for those who can tolerate it. My problem may have been that I am on so many other meds for other reasons. There could have been an adverse reaction. And I have extensive stomach problems, so that is possibly why I threw up everyday.

Just keep trying everyone, and don't beat yourself up mentally if you slip. You didn't just start smoking 30 cigs a day. It was one a day, then maybe 2, etc. It took time to learn to smoke, it will take time to learn to stop. Keep sharing coping tips with each other. They seem to help. I have straws around to chew on, thanks to someone here, and I cut up a bunch of carrots and celery and try to grab one of those instead of a "fake" cigarette. Remember the breathing too, it really does help. Just pretend to take a drag. Really breathe in hard, like you have a cig, then let it out and imagine that smoke coming out. I don't know why but it does help.

Good luck to everyone!

p.s. also, think about all the times you have turned down offers to go places, do things, just because you knew that you would not be able to smoke. And if you are reading this, on your computer, and have cigarettes sitting right beside you, throw them across the room right now. Go on, do it. Don't leave them beside you at the computer, its far too easy to light up and not even know you did. Anyone out there like me? I've actually had two lit at the computer before, not realizing I had lit two cigarettes! Throw 'em!!

Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
RoxiBalboa
Scared Monkey

« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2009, 11:40:04 AM »

About.com: Smoking Cessation
At 20 minutes after quitting:
Blood pressure decreases
Pulse rate drops
Body temperature of hands and feet increases.
At 8 hours:

Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
Oxygen level in blood increases to normal
At 24 hours:
Chance of a heart attack decreases
At 48 hours:

nerve endings begin regrowth
ability to smell and taste improves
Between 2 weeks and 3 months:
Circulation improves
Walking becomes easier
Lung function increases
Between 1 to 9 months smoke-free:

Starting as early as a month after you quit smoking, and continuing for the next several months, you may notice significant improvements in these areas:
coughing
sinus congestion
fatigue
shortness of breath

Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
eyecanCOOK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2009, 05:34:22 PM »

I quit smoking cold turkey on 3/28/09!!  My son's 13th Birthday.  This was not a planned date by any means, however I got very sick early that Saturday morning and have stayed sick all weekend.   I figured I have gone almost 3 days - might as well keep on going!!  I do the have the patch on standby if I need it!!   

wtg mytime  my son turned 13 on the 27th of March...wow somewhere else in the world the next day you had your precious teen keep plugging you'll get there

Kindness is a word the deaf and dumb can understand. No ciggies for one year....ok on to year two
eyecanCOOK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »

First let me say, kudos to any and all of those who can quit smoking!! I have been reading here for days and wanting to add my story but have been to sick to take the time. Let me try this now. Its been so much stuff I will forget things, at times make no sense, leave words out, etc, but I can already tells it's going to feel good to get this out.

I started smoking at age 12. Like many of you, just to be cool, fit in. By 17 I was a full time smoker. Fast forward to age 43 where I am a full time chain smoker. I live in a household of nonsmokers (husband and daughter) so they both just dismiss any understanding of what it may be like. Like my husband saying to me recently, "if I was a smoker I would just quit, I wouldn't try all these gimmicks, I'd just quit". I quickly challenged him to give up his caffeine and salt. He lasted 2 days.

I tried the laser treatment. It cost $250 and I left there wanting a cigarette more than when I went in. I smoked the whole way home, crying like a baby so disappointed that I had wasted our hard earned money on this crap. I called the place back, crying and complaining. They "soothed me over" and asked to me to come back for a free treatment. I went back, same result. I was so disappointed in myself at this point I gave up on giving up.

Next I went to the patch. I felt nothing with the patch. I was told you will get sick if you smoke while wearing the patch. I just kept right on smoking with a patch on my arm for two weeks, never slowing down. So for some reason, that didn't work for me either.

Next, hypnosis. Again, I wasted more money. I feel if I found the right hypnotist, perhaps this might work. But after already blowing money on the wrong hypnotist I'm done with this option.

Back to the patch. Same result. So I finally decided to try Chantix. I got the prescription and started in. I instantly got sick. Every day, sick. Throwing up. So I had to stop because I have stomach and esophagus problems that I didn't need the extra help in getting sick. But, I then decided that after the holidays passed I would again try the Chantix. I told my family that I was willing to be sick for a week or two if it meant that I would give up the cigs. So I started back in February. And yes, sick again. Every single day. But I just kept taking it. And at a cost too. My insurance will not pay for me try to stop smoking, they will only pay if/when the smoking starts killing me! Make sense? So its $140 per 4 week pack. If you consider the price of cigarettes, this is a small price to pay if it works. And it sort of does for me, not completely, but sort of. I am down from 30 cigs a day to 4 or 5 cigs a day. And those don't even taste right. There was even a 48 hour period that I didn't smoke at all. And believe me, I cried when I broke down and bought another pack. But I didn't stop. I kept taking my Chantix, throwing up, and smoking less. But just this past week I started to change. Its week 6 in taking the Chantix, and I am "off". I am so angry. An angry I cannot really describe.

I have this dog, her name is RoxiBalboa, thus my username. She is 16 years old and very very special to me. In the midst of this angry frustrating craziness I am feeling, I can't stand to hear my husband speak, or walk, or cough. If my daughter smiles one more time I might have to smack the smile off her face. OMG is that dog whining again? (you should know here, Roxi is also partly blind, hard of hearing, very much in need of her mom's love and understanding). But then, when Roxi whined one time too many and I just lost it. I screamed at this dog, who probably (hopefully) can't hear me, "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!"     and I shook, and cried, and felt like, I cannot explain. I wanted "out" was what my head was saying, I wanted to hit something, to hit myself, do something, but get this anger out of me.

That is when I found you all here. It dawned on me, it’s the Chantix. I didn't do enough reading before taking it. I wasn't aware of all the side effects. Heck, all I did was call my docs office, ask if I could have an Rx, and they mailed me one. No conversation with my doctor. So after reading your stories here, I went and read some other stories about side effects and stopped the Chantix right away. I've not been taking it for 2 1/2 days and am feeling much better. Not completely right, but better.

I hope that Chantix works for some people, and am happy for those. But please use cautiously. I have grandbabies and would never forgive myself if my screaming fit was aimed at a grandchild instead of my precious dog. I had no control of it, it just exploded from me like I was a stranger watching it happen.

So I am back at Go and thinking of either cold turkey, or starting myself at 6 a day, then 5 a day, then 4 a day, etc. (I know I will talk myself into smoking more a day, I'm good at bargaining with myself. The smoker-me always gets the better of the non-smoker me).

Best of Luck to you All! You can Do It!!!!!!

and Leroy, I think I will quit with you. Want to pick a quit date together? Are we going cold turkey? I could use a stop buddy, as long as my buddy can live with me if I disappoint. Freaking out and anxiety is not dumb, its natural. But we could probably help each other with some tricks and tips and maybe we'll get there. I'm going to start chopping celery and carrot sticks. Get some straws to chew. Buy candy.

Oh yeah, one thing I read here that I wanted to second... it really does help to breathe like you are smoking. Sometimes when I want a cigarette but its not "time" for my cig yet, I can take the deep breath and let it out like I am smoking and for some reason it satisfies the urge for a lil while.

thanks for reading/listening

Roxi, I was like you with the Chantix, I was angry all the time at things that did not make sense to be angry at....I was so mad one night of what my husband said or did not say at that point, that I slept in the car......how dysfunctional is that? You are NOT crazy and you are NOT alone....I experienced the same thing with that awful medication, if you are off it, stay off it.....I try not to impose my personal feelings about a person's choice of quitting but this I have experience with.   Read threads from WrongDiagnosis.com there are others that have had awful experiences with it as well as myself. The most important thing is that you quit smoking the rest well we deal with it as it comes. Stay strong and keep smiling....you are blessed to have made the first step

Kindness is a word the deaf and dumb can understand. No ciggies for one year....ok on to year two
Scuterputer
Scared Monkey

Hanging Around

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »

I had quit but I fell completely off the bandwagon this week. I do taxes, have a sinus infection, and can't take my antidepressants. I have been sneaking cigarettes again. =( I have the nicotine gum and I guess I am going to have to break that out, to get me through the next 15 days.

Unless a link is provided, all my statements are theories, in my opinion, speculation, etc. None to be taken as fact unless link is provided.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2009, 03:54:20 PM »

I've slapped on the patch, and have been smoke free for an hour.............   

WELL? I did and I have!!!    

I've done this before, and I know I can do this. I still have cigs in the house............... not sure about that, but we'll see. 

Got my checklist going........... mine doesn't have to be yours, but here it is:

1. Am I in God's Will with this decision?..................................     check
    Well, that puts me in the most powerful place on earth........

2. What help is there for me to see it through?
    a) prayer
    b) support group............  YOU GUYS!!!   
    c) patches
    d) bottled water
    e) excercise bike
             thumleft

3. OK! ........................ could we please fast forward a week????    pale

The house, my clothes, my car will all smell better, I won't be so scared about my health, my son won't worry about my health, I won't have to sneak cigs at hotels, and look for smoking areas in airports! I'll FEEL better!

WE CAN DO THIS!!! you haven't failed if you slip up............... it's just part of the quitting process. Just get back on track, and don't beat yourself up................ clean yourself up, instead!   

I'm glad this thread is here!!!

crazybabyborg
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »

Blood pressure decreases
Pulse rate drops
At 8 hours:

At 24 hours:
At 48 hours:

Circulation improves
Walking becomes easier
Lung function increases

Starting as early as a month after you quit smoking, and continuing for the next several months, you may notice significant improvements in these areas:
coughing
sinus congestion
fatigue
shortness of breath

GREAT POST!!!    That's ENCOURAGING!!! It's so easy to just beat yourself up about it, and this post is POSITIVE!!! Thank you, Roxi!!!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »

4 hours!!!!   

This thread could get really long before I'm through this............  just sayin.....   
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »

Blood pressure decreases
Pulse rate drops
At 8 hours:

At 24 hours:
At 48 hours:

Circulation improves
Walking becomes easier
Lung function increases

coughing
sinus congestion
fatigue
shortness of breath

Thanks for your help Roxi, I really don't care if my taste increases. I like food more than cigarettes. That's why I started smoking. I don't cough, have sinus congestions, fatigue or SOB. My only problem with quitting is that I will eat like a horse and get too fat to walk my dog and I can't afford new clothes. The hands and feet temps make me maybe won't to quit. I am cold all the time.

Thanks again for the info.

joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »

4 hours!!!!   

This thread could get really long before I'm through this............  just sayin.....   
  Oh MY GOODNESS CBB. I would never have thought you smoked.

I'm glad you have quit!!! I was talking to my doctor I work for that is about to retire. He told me he would pay for smoking cessation for me and another coworker until we quit. Even after he retires. I told him my mom would pay for the Chantix and he said go for it.

My problem is I have no side affects, i.e. coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath from cigarettes. The only thing that I have been told is by my ortho doctor. If I quit smoking it may help my osteoarthritis in my knees. I have needed a knee replacement since I was 30. So that may be a good reason to quit.

Sorry to run on about my smoking. I just wanted to let you know that I am VERRY VERRY PROUD OF YOU FOR QUITTING!!

Hugs, JSM

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.