March 29, 2024, 04:18:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dominick Wesley Arceneaux 3, missing 2/10/09 Chidester, AR - BODY FOUND in Lake  (Read 25318 times)
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« on: February 13, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »

Amber Alert IssuedTuesday, February 10th, 2009
4:00am
Vehicle
     no description of a vehicle available
Issued: Chidester, AR map

Incident

The Ouachita County Sheriff's Officer has requested activation of a Morgan Nick Amber Alert for three-year-old Dominick Wesley Arceneaux. The child's mother believes someone abducted him. According to Amber Arceneaux, around 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, Dominick walked outside their mobile home and she hasn't seen him since. Authorities have been searching a lake located behind the Arceneaux home near Chidester. Dominick has brown hair, brown eyes and was last seen wearing blue jean shorts with red stitching on the pockets. If you have any information, contact the Ouachita County Sheriff's Office at 870-837-2200.

http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/showthread.php?p=532695
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29131464/

Update: Missing Boy Might Have Been Kidnapped

updated 22 minutes ago

The Ouachita County Sheriff says authorities are now leaning toward the possibility that a missing three-year-old boy was kidnapped from his Chidester home Tuesday afternoon.

Arkansas State Police issued a Morgan Nick Amber Alert late Tuesday for Dominick Wesley Arceneaux.

He was last seen wearing blue jean shorts with red stitching. He is approximately three-feet tall, with brown eyes and short brown hair.

For nearly six hours Wednesday, the Game and Fish dive team searched the shoreline of White Oak Lake. Arceneaux was last seen behind his family's mobile home, which is only 50 feet away from the lake.

Sheriff David Norwood says he was playing with the family dog and his wheelbarrow around two o'clock Tuesday afternoon. He went inside to remove his shoes and five minutes later, his mother and aunt, who were inside the home, heard silence. They went outside and discovered the boy had vanished.

Norwood says authorities are considering three possibilities: the boy fell in the lake, he wandered off and got lost in the woods, or he was kidnapped. However, Norwood says they don't have any evidence to support any of those theories. He says they are leaning toward the possibility Arceneaux was kidnapped because they haven't found any sign of the boy.

Dozens of searchers who combed the woods couldn't find any sign of the boy. Divers also turned up nothing. There is a bar next door to Arceneaux's home, however it was closed when he vanished and no one was there, authorities say.

"We're pretty confident he's not in the area," Norwood said. "We searched the water line and we're pretty confident he's not in the areas he might have fallen in."

Deputies have interviewed at least 25 people so far, including all sex offenders in a 25-mile radius.

They've also cleared family members at this point of any suspicions.

The boy's mother has been questioned throughout this process, but she is not a person of interest at this time. Authorities say they will interview certain individuals again on Thursday but they have no specific person of interest.

Investigators have searched a 40 to 50-acre area and they will expand that range and retrace their steps beginning Thursday. They are also considering bringing in State Police search dogs to assist. Representatives from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children are also heading to the area to help.

If you have seen this boy you are asked to call the Arkansas State Police or the Ouachita County Sheriff's Department. Read more atarkansasmatters.com.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:20:09 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
CynInOregon
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »

Just heartbreaking that another child is missing. 

www.myspace.com/cynthiawalker

In Loving Memory of Our Beautiful Angel Heather and Precious Angel Caylee.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=79925&catid=2

Update: Search Continues For Missing Boy, Sex Offenders Interviewed
    Updated 1 day agoInvestigators spent the day searching the area where 3-year-old Dominick Arceneaux was last seen. Meantime, they also interviewed what the sheriff calls potential suspects, like registered sex offenders in the county.

About 70 volunteers showed up Wednesday to help search for Dominick; people like Melissa Vela and Tara Honeycutt who drove 30 miles to lend their support.

Vela explains, "Saw it on the news this morning and called the sheriff's department to see if they were taking volunteers. As soon as we found out they were we decided to come on up and help."

It was Tuesday afternoon when Dominick's mother says he left their house to go play. Today's THV spoke to her just hours later.

"He went outside and played he came back in and knocked his boots off. He wanted to play in the mud. He walked back outside and just disappeared. It was only about 5 minutes when we noticed anything was up," says Amber Arceneaux.

White Oak Lake is directly behind their home, but Sheriff David Norwood says the boy's mother taught Dominick about water safety and always instructed him to stay away.

Norwood says, "From her indication he is scared of water and wouldn't go around water."

Still though dive teams are searching the lake, but so far there are no clues which are why deputies aren't ruling anything out.

"We are treating it as a drowning. We are treating it as someone may be missing in the woods. We are also treating it as it may be a kidnapping," Norwood explains.

A Morgan Nick Amber Alert has been issued for the 3-year-old, plus deputies spent the day talking with what they call potential suspects. On the list was about 25 different people, but so far those interviews have lead to no leads.

Norwood says, "We are pulling video tapes from all stores, sex offenders that we are interviewing, doing everything we can from all different directions of all different possibilities about what happened."

Meantime, investigators plan to expand their search by ground and by air. Also, they're calling on the community for continued help; people like Deborah Fields who has already spent hours searching and plans to come back on Thursday.

"Prayers, looking. Prayers looking, calling his sweet little name."

The child's father is on his way back to Arkansas from Georgia. Today's THV is told he is in the service there. Meantime, Arkansas State Police and the FBI are also investigating.

The search area is near Chidester which is about 25 miles from the Camden area.

Dominick has brown hair, brown eyes and was last seen wearing blue jean shorts with red stitching on the pockets.

If you have any information, contact the Ouachita County Sheriff's Office at 870-837-2200.

Today's THV will keep you updated on the search.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=385749329

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »

Shocked

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »

To be fair, I'm not positive it's the same person but the name is the same and the child looks like Dominick to me.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story/Morgan-Nick-Amber-Alert-Search-continues/mRzLJLNd-0C9gWUYCyTeMA.cspx?rss=315

Morgan Nick Amber Alert: Search continues
  Reported by: LaTresha Woodruff
Email: lwoodruff@fox16.com
Contributor: David Goins
Last Update: 8:35 am 

Print Story | Email Story     

Slideshow  Chidester, AR -- Multiple law enforcement organizations continue their ground search for a missing Ouachita County boy.

Dominick Wesley Arceneaux
Age and/or DOB: 6/15/2005
Missing Date: 2/10/2009
Missing from City: Chidister
Missing from County: Ouachita  Sex: Male
Race: White
Height: 3 ft.
Weight: 38 lbs.
Hair: Short brown hair
Eyes: Brown
Complexion is described as: Dark 
Last seen wearing blue jean shorts with red stiching on the pockets..

A Morgan Nick Amber Alert was issued for Dominick Wesley Arceneaux, 3, Tuesday evening after the boy went missing near White Oak Lake west of Chidester.

The Center for Missing and Exploited Children is now part of the search. Divers are out in White Oak Lake just feet from his home and have been for most of the day.

Investigators interviewed family members and even known sex offenders in the area and turned up nothing.

Dominck's family is praying he's found safe a piece of paper they found in the woods gives them hope.

If you have any information please call the Ouachita County Sheriff's Department at (870) 837-2200.

Volunteers help search
Dive teams are in the water in Ouachita County looking for a missing 3 year old boy.

A Morgan Nick Amber Alert was issued for Dominick Wesley Arceneaux Tuesday after his mother reported him missing from the backyard of their home.

Debbie Fields says it just comes natural.

"I just felt a need to come out and help. I have a three-year-old grandson and I pray that people would come and help me if he was lost."

That's exactly what she and her two nieces are doing, covering thick, rough ground terrain, looking for 3-year-old Dominick Arceneaux.

"You don't know what you're going to find, I've been doing a lot of praying and calling his name, nothing yet," Fields said.

Game and Fish dive teams are on scene searching White Oak Lake. The Ouachita County Sheriff's Department does not suspect foul play but kept crime scene tape up throughout the day, not ruling anything out.

"It's sad, especially the unknown, it's different if you have something to work with, but if you have nothing to work with, you don't know where to start," Sheriff David Norwood says.

"I would crawl to look for him, it just gets you when your baby is missing," Fields says.

Fields, joined by police and up to 70 volunteers will keep searching for little Dominick Arceneaux.

"We're praying that, I don't know, just bring him home safe," Fields says. "Somebody's going to find him, he's going to be alright, we're going to keep looking."

Dominick's mom, Amber, is with family at their home. Understandably too upset to talk about how she's holding up.

flossy
Monkey Junky

Got milk?

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »

Another one? 

This is beyond sick and ridiculous how often this is happening!!!

If it's not one thing, it's an udder.
flossy
Monkey Junky

Got milk?

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »

Thanks for the info, Deenie and Klaas!

If it's not one thing, it's an udder.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »

Thanks for the info, that myspace thing is not good, if one feels that way, I cannot understand why you have to broadcast it on myspace. There is so much water around where they live, he could have slipped in, that's my thought, how sad.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 06:41:55 PM »

Search Intensifies for Missing 3-Year-Old Arkansas Boy
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Officials intensified their search Saturday for a 3-year-old boy who vanished from his home in Arkansas, but turned up no leads.

An Amber Alert was issued for the child, Dominick Wesley Arceneaux, when his mother reported him missing from the backyard of their Ouachita County, Ark., mobile home on Tuesday evening.

Local, state and federal agents, along with members of the National Guard and volunteers, have joined the hunt for the boy — but without success.

Sheriff David Norwood said Friday afternoon there was still no hint of what may have happened to the toddler.

"We're following anything we can," Norwood said. "It would be different if we knew he'd been kidnapped, where you can take your efforts away from searching the lake, searching the woods. You could focus on finding a car or whatever other clues were available."

The Arkansas National Guard has designed a grid search of 60 soldiers to blanket the area, Norwood said.

"They (the searchers) are broken up in groups so many feet apart they make sure they see every square inch of the land as they walk it," the sheriff said.

The Center for Missing and Exploited Children has also stepped in to find Dominick, FOX16.com reported. Investigators have interviewed family members as well as registered sex offenders in a 40-mile radius of the area.

Norwood said the family is cooperating. Dominick's father arrived Thursday from Georgia, where he is stationed in the military. The boy's mother Amber Arceneaux is with the family at their home, but has been too shaken to speak to the media, according to FOX16.com.

The sheriff said the distraught mom is doing well, but "it's hard to put into words how she feels."

Dominick is 3 feet tall and weighs 38 pounds, with short brown hair and a dark complexion. He was last seen wearing blue-jean shorts with red stitching on the pockets, according FOX16.com.

Anyone with information please call the Ouachita County Sheriff's Department at (870) 837-2200.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,493087,00.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »

DOMINICK WESLEY ARCENEAUX 
Case Type: Endangered Missing   
DOB: Jun 15, 2005 Sex: Male
Missing Date: Feb 10, 2009 Race: White
Age Now: 3 Height:  3'0" (91 cm)
Missing City: CHIDESTER Weight:  38 lbs (17 kg)
Missing State :  AR Hair Color: Brown
Missing Country: United States Eye Color: Brown
Case Number: NCMC1115878 
Circumstances: Both photos shown are of Dominick. He was last seen on February 10, 2009. Dominick may still be in the local area.
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&LanguageCountry=en_US&searchLang=en_US&caseLang=en_US&orgPrefix=NCMC&caseNum=1115878&seqNum=1

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 06:58:53 PM »

CHIDESTER — The search for a missing boy intensified Friday, with dozens of National Guardsmen scouring the woods near White Oak Lake, a police helicopter buzzing above and FBI agents questioning every sex offender in a 40-mile radius from where the 3-year-old vanished.
Dominick Arceneaux disappeared Tuesday afternoon from behind his family’s trailer that sits on the lake west of Chidester.
Not a scrap of evidence had surfaced to indicate whether he drowned, wandered off into the woods or if something more sinister happened, said Ouachita County Sheriff David Norwood.
“We’ll all be here until we come up with something,” he said Friday as more than 60 Arkansas National Guard members began their canvass of the woods that line the north side of the lake.
The soldiers walked shoulder to shoulder through the rugged terrain, looking for any signs of the boy. Search dogs were sent in from Louisiana. And a sonar machine that can help find bodies under water was set to go out on the lake.
“We’re going to make sure nothing’s unturned,” the sheriff said.
The brown-haired toddler was playing barefoot in the unseasonably warm weather about 2 p.m. Tuesday. His mother, Amber Arceneaux, said she was inside for about five to seven minutes when she could no longer hear his voice.
She looked outside, and Dominick was gone.
The wheelbarrow was overturned.
She and her aunt, Sherry Mitchell, searched for Dominick for about 15 minutes, then called police.
The trailer is just yards from the lake’s edge. There are no fences.
Norwood said the family’s account of events was corroborated through the investigation, and that Arceneaux and family members have been ruled out as having any involvement in the boy’s disappearance.
There were witnesses in the area, including a fisherman, who recall the boy playing near the water and who saw the two women searching for him, Norwood said. And others confirmed the whereabouts of various relatives.
Divers spent much of the week looking for the boy in the lake, and Arkansas State Police investigators reviewed surveillance video from the few nearby businesses.
Dominick’s grandmother, Martha Cortez, who drove in from Louisiana earlier this week, said she is suspicious of the bar near the family’s trailer. The Wild Horse Saloon is owned by her sister and brother-in-law. The bar gave her a bad feeling.
“I just feel like — something right there — at that barroom,” Cortez said without finishing her thought.
Jack Mitchell, who owns the bar, said earlier this week that it was closed Monday and Tuesday.

Dominick’s father, Andre Arceneaux, rushed to Arkansas from his Army base in Georgia when he learned his son was missing. He said he didn’t know what to make of the situation and was getting varying information from different people.
“I can’t even think about it right now,” he said as a light drizzle dampened his camouflage, Army-issued cap. He is separated from his son’s mother and said he hadn’t seen Dominick since last summer.
John and Peggy Smith, who hunt and fish in the area on weekends, joined in the search Friday. They didn’t know the boy but had seen him playing in the yard just days before he disappeared.
An officer told them if the boy had drowned, his body would surely surface by Friday. So they put on their muck boots, grabbed a couple of hiking sticks and walked the shoreline, with their eyes trained on the water.
“Just trying to help in any way we can,” John Smith said.
Like so many other volunteers this week, the Smiths didn’t see anything useful.
From the beginning, Amber Arceneaux was skeptical her son would have gone near the water, saying he was deathly afraid.
“If for some reason they do pull him out, it’s because somebody threw him in there,” she said Tuesday evening.
Norwood, who vowed to continue the search until he could provide the family with answers, called the situation “heartbreaking.”
“It’s sad,” he said. “They want answers.”
http://epaper.ardemgaz.com/Daily/skins/Arkansas/

oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »

Has anyone figure out where the home is located ???

I tried to find something on the The Wild Horse Saloon
Dominick’s grandmother, Martha Cortez, who drove in from Louisiana earlier this week, said she is suspicious of the bar near the family’s trailer

I did come up with a Hog Wild Bar 195 Ouachita Road 332, Chidester, AR 71726

If like around here...  Bars change ownership / names  but not locations... So I'm just wondering where the home is located near the Lake.

TIA

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »

Arkansas Officials Ask for Public's Help in Search for Missing Boy
Monday, February 16, 2009 

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,493844,00.html

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. —  Investigators searching for a missing 3-year-old boy have exhausted almost all their leads.

FBI special agent Thomas Browne said Monday authorities are asking the public to come forward with any information that could be related to the case. Dominick Arceneaux went missing from his home in Ouachita County a week ago.

Investigators told the media at a news conference at the FBI office in Little Rock that the focus of the investigation has moved from searching a nearby lake to the possibility of an abduction.

The investigation slowed significantly after a thorough search of the surrounding area and interviews of residents and registered sex offenders.

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,493844,00.html

FBI Joins Search for Missing Arkansas Boy, 3
Monday , February 16, 2009

Federal investigators have joined the search for an Arkansas boy who vanished nearly a week ago, and are asking for the public to come forward with any information related to the case.

FBI officials have exhausted almost all their leads in the search for 3-year-old Dominick Wesley Arceneaux, whose mother reported him missing from the backyard of their home on Tuesday.

An FBI spokesman in Washington told FOX News that they have members from their Child Abduction Rapid Deployment (CARD) Teams in the region. According to the FBI, these teams usually deal with "non-family child abductions, ransom child abductions, and myserious disappearances of children."

Several other organizations have joined in the search, including the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, according to the FBI.

Investigators told the media at a news conference at the FBI office in Little Rock that they do not suspect the boy drowned in a nearby lake, FOX16.com reported. The focus of the investigation has moved to the possibility of an abduction.

The investigation slowed significantly after a thorough search of the surrounding area and interviews of residents and registered sex offenders.

oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »

Update: FBI Says Missing Toddler May Have Been Kidnapped

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=80147

FBI officials say they are pretty confident that 3-year-old Dominick Arceneaux is not in the lake behind his house or the one mile radius of nearby woods.

In a Monday press conference, FBI special agent Tom Browne told reporters that the public's help is key to helping find 3-year-old Dominick Arceneaux.

Browne explains, "We have reason to believe there may be an individual or individuals in the community that may be pertinent to this investigation but for unknown reasons have yet to come forward."

Over the weekend, scent dogs led investigators to a nearby well. It was drained, plus a camera was fed down. The woods in a one mile radius have been searched thoroughly by volunteers and the Arkansas National Guard. Also, White Oak Lake has been dragged repeatedly, but there's still no sign of Dominick.

"Again is it possible? This is a large lake, but there are very low currents and we have talked to a lot of experts and we believe that the search that we have conducted that if he was in that lake we would have found him," explains Browne.

For that reason, the investigation is moving to the possibility that Dominick was abducted. But the remote area of Dominick's home has investigators baffled.

"You would literally have to do a surveillance of that area for a while and figure out hey there is a kid here," says Browne. "You know people would see that vehicle and say hey this doesn't belong here."

That is why investigators are continuing to question frequent customers of the Hog Wild Saloon. It's a bar owned by Dominick's aunt.

Browne says, "It is an avenue of people coming into that area where the child lives that is somewhat transient in terms of they aren't just neighbors, so you are right that is an area of concern."

And with the continued search and the plea for the public's help, also comes the FBI's need for national attention. It's just another tool they say to bring Dominick home safe.

Click on the video to the right to watch the 30 minute press conference.

Officials are still continuing their search, but they have scaled back.

Special Agent Tom Browne says, "Nothing would surprise me at this point. If it turns out that a car pulled up there and grabbed the kid and mom never heard anything that is certainly possible. Now is the time to come forward. It is never too late to give information that might help."

Officials have released a new missing poster flyer and are asking for the public's help in finding him. The poster has been sent to surrounding states, like Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana.

If anyone saw a suspicious or unfamiliar car in the Highway 24 or Ouachita County Road 332 areas last week, you're asked to call 1-800-CALL-FBI or 1-800-225-5324.

Dominick's father has posted a $15,000 reward for his safe return.

About 30 FBI agents are working this case. They are in the process of comparing Dominick's disappearance to other nationwide cases to see if there are any similarities.

About 25 people, including sex offenders in the area, have been ruled out as potential suspects. Sex offenders in a 50-mile radius were questioned and their homes searched.

Click on the top link in the Related Links box to the right to view the FBI's missing person picture.

Dominick was last seen at his home near Chidester in Ouachita County on Feb. 10. He was reported to be wearing denim shorts with red stitching. The FBI says Dominick may still be in the local area.

The toddler has brown hair and brown eyes and is 3 ft. tall. He weighs 38 pounds.

The Center for Missing and Exploited Children remains with the case and is assisting with the investigation.

Today's THV is told that the family is struggling emotionally. Dominick's mother, Amber Arceneaux, has not spoken to the media since the day her son disappeared. Sheriff David Norwood says she is too upset.

Stay with todaysthv.com and Today's THV for complete coverage of the search for Dominick Arceneaux.

oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 03:01:20 PM »

Street view

http://tinyurl.com/cnwgm3

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »

this is getting crazy!
another baby missing???? My God!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (Little Rock)

February 17, 2009 Tuesday 

`We've got nothing,' FBI says of missing boy

It appears someone abducted a missing south Arkansas boy, authorities said for the first time Monday, after a weekend search of a lake and woods near the child's home turned up no new clues.

Thomas J. Browne, special agent in charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Little Rock field office, said the hunt for 3-year-old Dominick Wesley Arceneaux has stalled and called for the public's help.

Browne urged anyone with a tip no matter how insignificant to contact 1-800-CALLFBI immediately. A $15,000 reward has been offered in the case.

"We are grasping at straws, to be honest," Browne said at a news conference at FBI headquarters in west Little Rock on Monday. "We've got nothing." Dominick disappeared from outside his home near Chidester in Ouachita County a week ago. His mother, Amber Arceneaux, said Dominick vanished after she left him alone outdoors for about five minutes. The property sits in a rural, wooded area on the shore of White Oak Lake, about 10 miles northwest of Camden.

Dominick is 3 feet tall and weighs 38 pounds. He has olive skin, brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing denim shorts with red stitching on the pockets when he vanished.

Investigators initially thought Dominick wandered into the lake and drowned, Browne said. There is no fencing, and the bank drops off steeply into the water.

But a weekend search of the 1,700-acre lake using divers and sonar turned up nothing.

Capt. Fred Harrod of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission's Camden office ruled out an alligator attack because of the time of year and lack of activity in the area.

Investigators, with help from the Arkansas National Guard, completed an unsuccessful search of the woods within a one-mile radius of the boy's home.

Browne said rescuers Sunday thought the boy might be at the bottom of a well but found nothing after draining it and rappelling to the bottom.

A small command post will remain near Dominick's home, but ground and water searching is largely finished.

"When you search and you don't find, then you have to assume they've been abducted," Browne said. "So, obviously, the investigation is moving in that direction." That theory is troublesome, however, because the FBI has no promising local suspects.

Interviews with family, neighbors and registered sex offenders who live within 50 miles of Dominick's home yielded no hints at the boy's whereabouts.

There is a bar nearby from which a stranger could have spotted Dominick, but so far, investigators don't know of any newcomers who visited recently. Dominick's home is so remote that few outsiders visit the area.

Browne asked anyone who lives or passes through the Chidester area to report unusual vehicles seen there last week, neighbors who abruptly left or newcomers who just came to town.

If Dominick was taken by a stranger, his odds of returning home safely are slim, according to national studies on youth kidnappings.

Forty percent of children abducted in "stereotypical kidnappings" are killed, and 4 percent are never found, according to a U.S. Department of Justice report from 2002. Stereotypical kidnappings involve a stranger or slight acquaintance who takes a child with the intent of keeping him, holding him for ransom or killing him.

Time is of the essence in such cases.

Among abducted children who are ultimately murdered, 74 percent are dead within three hours of going missing, according to an oft-referenced report from 1997 by the Washington state attorney general.

"When it comes to abductions, to be honest, the first couple of days are absolutely critical," Browne said. "The timeline for recovering kids, it's a sad kind of timeline." The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is starting to distribute fliers with a description of the boy across Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana, where the Arceneaux family moved from in December.

Dennis Weaver, a retired FBI agent who works for the center, said there's hope for Dominick because quality investigators are working the case.

"You see these gray hairs up here? That's a wealth of experience. We've earned every one of them," he said.

Telephone calls to the boy's mother went unanswered Monday.

She's "heartbroken," Ouachita County Sheriff David Norwood said.

There were no words of consolation he could offer her.

"If you've got children ... you know how she feels," he said.
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:927844158&start=3

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.