March 28, 2024, 12:12:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100th birthday for woman who helped Anne Frank !!  (Read 1565 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »

WOW!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Miep Gies!!  :smt113100th

00th birthday for woman who helped Anne Frank
Feb 13 2009 WalesOnline

The last survivor of the small group of people that protected teenager Anne Frank and her family for two years from the Nazis will turn 100 on Sunday.

Miep Gies reaches her century, saying she has won more accolades for helping the Frank family than she deserved – as if, she says, she tried to save all the Jews of occupied Holland.

“This is very unfair. So many others have done the same or even far more dangerous work,” she wrote in an e-mail.

It was Ms Gies who gathered up Anne’s scattered papers and notebooks after the hiding place was raided in 1944. She locked them – unread – in a desk drawer to await the teenager’s return.

Anne died of typhus in the German concentration camp of Bergen-Belsen seven months after her arrest. British and Canadian troops liberated the camp two weeks later.

Ms Gies gave the collection to Anne’s father Otto, the only survivor among the eight people who hid in the concealed attic of the canal-side warehouse.

He published it in 1947, and it was released in English in 1952 as The Diary of a Young Girl.

Retitled The Diary of Anne Frank, it was the first book about the Holocaust to win popular appeal, and has sold tens of millions of copies in dozens of languages.

As she looked forward to a quiet birthday with her son and three grandchildren, Ms Gies paid tribute to the “unnamed heroes” who helped Dutch Jews escape the net during the five years of Nazi occupation.

“I would like to name one, my husband January. He was a resistance man who said nothing but did a lot. During the war he refused to say anything about his work, only that he might not come back one night. People like him existed in thousands but were never heard,” she said.

Jan Gies, who was not one of the four office workers who supplied the Frank family with their daily needs, died in 1993.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/latest-world-news/2009/02/13/100th-birthday-for-woman-who-helped-anne-frank-91466-22921704/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »

Miep Gies
Happy Birthday

You did a wonderful thing!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.