March 19, 2024, 04:53:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Haleigh Cummings #2 2/20/09 - 2/26/09  (Read 320592 times)
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1800 on: February 26, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »

Did I hear right, the cummings are still living in a tent?
I thought someone sent a trailer down (that I did see myself) for them to use.

I heard that too! And thought the same thing. Here is the trailer being brought to them at least a week ago.

What's up with that?

Also, I thought it looked like Ron was coming out of that trailer last Saturday when Geraldo kinda blind-sided him with his "interview."

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #1801 on: February 26, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »

http://www.cbs12.com/news/search_4715036___article.html/dogs_police.html

Update: The search for Haleigh
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
February 26, 2009 - 1:43 PM
Marianne Wellendorf
As police use canine dogs to search for 5-year old Haleigh Cummings, new details slowly emerge in the quest to find her. Another search began Thursday morning at 10:00 a.m. when several canine search teams were sent to the area surrounding the home of Haleigh. The search is being conducted to insure that no possibility is overlooked in the search for the missing girl.

Police said on Thursday that so far, this has been a routine search and the protocal they are using is similar to the road block they established a week after her disappearance. Cummings has been missing more than 2 weeks now.

Police said that in most cases, something is found within half a mile of crime scene on a second search.

The Putnam County Sheriffs Office called in the K9 South unit from Georgia to search and they did bring cadaver dogs. There are seven dogs searching today and 12 dogs plan to be used tomorrow in the search for little Haleigh. The dog handlers refused to speak to media or answer questions.

Sheriff Jeff Hardy said that he continues to hope that Haleigh is found alive and in good health. Thursday's search is not in response to leads received from the family or the public, but as a routine procedure that has proved itself in other missing child cases.

That scares me to death, why all of the sudden and why look again with more dogs unless they know something

yep, same here. and they want crystals dna asap, which makes me think for id purposes. what the hell is going on we dont know about?

That is my feeling too - reading the story my heart sank. I think if it was a routine collection they would just wait until she got back.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
rana
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1802 on: February 26, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »

whoa, and they want it fast...theyre not waiting, theyre tracking her down!

Oh no... this made me cry. The first thought that jumped in my head is mitochondrial DNA which is inherited via the mother's bloodline for identifying some types of remains. I don't know that's the case.

Oh...... please no.

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #1803 on: February 26, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »

does anyone have a link to the documents in the custody fight?  (Well, I know we do but I mean does someone have one at close reach??)

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1804 on: February 26, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »

Here's the DNA article:

Detectives Want DNA from Haleigh's Mother
Posted By: Gary Detman Posted By: Jackelyn Barnard     Created: 2/26/2009 9:22:37 AM    Updated: 2/26/2009 3:27:43 PM

SATSUMA, FL -- Investigators want a DNA sample from Crystal Sheffield, the mother of Haleigh Cummings, while cadaver dogs scour the woods and fields around the girl's home for any signs of the missing girl.

The five-year-old has been missing since she went to bed on the night of February 9th.

Late Thursday afternoon, detectives came looking for Sheffield, who had apparently gone to the doctor.

The detectives are trying to track her down after going to the wrong office. Investigators would not comment on what type of DNA sample they need, or why.

All morning, the cadaver dogs have been looking through and under a number of people's homes in Heleigh's neighborhood.

"They've been in my home," said neighbor James Batchelor. "They've torn it apart. All the buildings out there they've been in them twice."

The dogs are trained to specifically seek out human remains and are part of Canine South, a non-law-enforcement group specializing in canine searches.

"Today's search is not in response to leads received from the family or the public, but as a routine procedure that has proven itself in other missing child cases," said Captain Dick Schauland with the Putnam County Sheriff's Office. "This search is being conducted to insure that no possibility is overlooked in the search for Haleigh."

Ron Wirth, a former FBI agent who's been doing general analysis on the investigation as a representative of First Coast Crime Stoppers, says the move to get the DNA from Haleigh's mother may be about evidence.

"They may be seeking the biological mother's DNA to establish a basis for test comparisons on items that they have found, or will find, to positively identify or eliminate those items as evidence in this matter," said Wirth.

Wirth says the new search with cadaver dogs is also not unusual at this stage in the investigation.

"If a body began to deteriorate you might get some gasses that the dogs could hit on," said Wirth.

Thursday's ground search is the first major organized effort in some time.

Investigators have been chasing false leads across the First Coast and in Tennessee since shifting the search for Haleigh to more of an investigative approach in the case last week.

The family spoke briefly to the media Thursday afternoon. Teresa Neves, Haleigh's grandmother, expressed concern over the dwindling crowds of media. She also said Ronald Cummings and his 17-year-old girlfriend, Misty Croslin, are still together as a couple.

The reward for information leading to Haleigh is up to $26,500. Call Crime Stoppers at 1-888-277-TIPS if you have any information. You will remain anonymous and could recieve a cash reward if your information leads to an arrest.

<sdnipped> http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=132277&catid=3

rana
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1805 on: February 26, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »

does anyone have a link to the documents in the custody fight?  (Well, I know we do but I mean does someone have one at close reach??)

I was looking at it the other day; I'll see if I can find it.

peanut
Monkey Junky

I can spell, I just can't type.

« Reply #1806 on: February 26, 2009, 03:47:12 PM »

http://www.cbs12.com/news/search_4715036___article.html/dogs_police.html

Update: The search for Haleigh
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
February 26, 2009 - 1:43 PM
Marianne Wellendorf
As police use canine dogs to search for 5-year old Haleigh Cummings, new details slowly emerge in the quest to find her. Another search began Thursday morning at 10:00 a.m. when several canine search teams were sent to the area surrounding the home of Haleigh. The search is being conducted to insure that no possibility is overlooked in the search for the missing girl.

Police said on Thursday that so far, this has been a routine search and the protocal they are using is similar to the road block they established a week after her disappearance. Cummings has been missing more than 2 weeks now.

Police said that in most cases, something is found within half a mile of crime scene on a second search.

The Putnam County Sheriffs Office called in the K9 South unit from Georgia to search and they did bring cadaver dogs. There are seven dogs searching today and 12 dogs plan to be used tomorrow in the search for little Haleigh. The dog handlers refused to speak to media or answer questions.

Sheriff Jeff Hardy said that he continues to hope that Haleigh is found alive and in good health. Thursday's search is not in response to leads received from the family or the public, but as a routine procedure that has proved itself in other missing child cases.

That scares me to death, why all of the sudden and why look again with more dogs unless they know something

yep, same here. and they want crystals dna asap, which makes me think for id purposes. what the hell is going on we dont know about?

That is my feeling too - reading the story my heart sank. I think if it was a routine collection they would just wait until she got back.

i know, mine too! also agree on the waiting for a couple of hours if it was just 'routine'. eeps!!

Justice is truth in action - Benjamin Disraeli
rana
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1807 on: February 26, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »

Thanks for that Brandi.

The "mother" part made me jump to mitochondrial, ....otherwise...... DNA from Ron too, unless they already have that but just didn't make a big announcement about it.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1808 on: February 26, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »

Thanks Brandi, I thought they already had dogs out by the home, but maybe not cadaver dogs.

Yes, they did. Here is the whole article from today:

SATSUMA, FL -- Cadaver dogs and their handlers are back in the woods and fields around the home of Haleigh Cummings, looking for any signs of the little girl.

The five-year-old has been missing since she went to bed on the night of February 9th.

The cadaver dogs are searching the panels under homes in the neighborhood. The dogs are trained to specifically seek out human remains and are part of Canine South, a non-law enforcement group specializing in canine searches.

"Today's search is not in response to leads received from the family or the public, but as a routine procedure that has proven itself in other missing child cases," said Captain Dick Schauland with the Putnam County Sheriff's Office. "This search is being conducted to insure that no possibility is overlooked in the search for Haleigh."

Investigators have been chasing false leads across the First Coast and in Tennessee since shifting the search for Haleigh to more of an investigative approach in the case last week.

The reward for information leading to Haleigh is up to $26,500. Call Crime Stoppers at 1-888-277-TIPS if you have any information. You will remain anonymous and could recieve a cash reward if your information leads to an arrest.

From my notes on Feb. 10 (first day missing) ...
130 personnel from 25 agencies were involved in the search on Tuesday. While divers were scouring the nearby St. Johns River, bloodhounds and cadaver dogs were being used in the neighborhood around the Cummings' home. Officials said that helicopters with infrared sensing equipment would begin scanning the area after dark.

Personally, I have a bad feeling about the river. For some reason.

In Stacy Peterson's case, in a forum for that, we had a guest speaker who owns a cadaver dog, doing a Q&A about those dogs.  She said that when LE uses cadaver dogs and clear an area, they nearly always go back a second, sometimes a third time.  Their reasoning being that an area is not 'officially cleared' until the dogs go thru it again.  Not that they don't trust the dogs, but because in many cases the perp finds out where they cleared the first time and moves evidence/body into that area.  It's one reason that LE doesn't like to announce a search site, either before or after. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
rana
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1809 on: February 26, 2009, 03:52:21 PM »

The part about them chasing her down and trying to locate where she is is frightening. If they hadn't found anything substantial, wouldn't they simply wait until she got back from wherever?... as you just mentioned.

fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1810 on: February 26, 2009, 03:52:40 PM »

Well supposedly hln is showing a clip right now over and over briefly and they picked her up this morning from the trailer she and Ron are staying in?
Foggy Dew
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1811 on: February 26, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »

Here's the DNA article:

Posted By: Gary Detman Posted By: Jackelyn Barnard     Created: 2/26/2009 9:22:37 AM    Updated: 2/26/2009 3:27:43 PM

SATSUMA, FL -- Investigators want a DNA sample from Crystal Sheffield, the mother of Haleigh Cummings, while cadaver dogs scour the woods and fields around the girl's home for any signs of the missing girl.

Late Thursday afternoon, detectives came looking for Sheffield, who had apparently gone to the doctor.

The detectives are trying to track her down after going to the wrong office. Investigators would not comment on what type of DNA sample they need, or why.

All morning, the cadaver dogs have been looking through and under a number of people's homes in Heleigh's neighborhood.

"They've been in my home," said neighbor James Batchelor. "They've torn it apart. All the buildings out there they've been in them twice."

The dogs are trained to specifically seek out human remains and are part of Canine South, a non-law-enforcement group specializing in canine searches.

Ron Wirth, a former FBI agent who's been doing general analysis on the investigation as a representative of First Coast Crime Stoppers, says the move to get the DNA from Haleigh's mother may be about evidence.

"They may be seeking the biological mother's DNA to establish a basis for test comparisons on items that they have found, or will find, to positively identify or eliminate those items as evidence in this matter," said Wirth.

Wirth says the new search with cadaver dogs is also not unusual at this stage in the investigation.

"If a body began to deteriorate you might get some gasses that the dogs could hit on," said Wirth.

The family spoke briefly to the media Thursday afternoon. Teresa Neves, Haleigh's grandmother, expressed concern over the dwindling crowds of media. She also said Ronald Cummings and his 17-year-old girlfriend, Misty Croslin, are still together as a couple.

<sdnipped> http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=132277&catid=3

I just remembered that Bio mom said she'd never been inside the house...the house that's still off limits and now they want mom's dna?  Hmm...

Foggy
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1812 on: February 26, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »

Thanks Wyks, I never knew that before with cadaver dogs, very interesting.
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1813 on: February 26, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »

I think they want her DNA cause of this:

On the other site, they are talking maybe lab results, phone records, etc has come back in ...  So they track down Crystal for DNA, take Misty off for further questioning and bring out 7 cadaver dogs, something is up that's for sure.
rana
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1814 on: February 26, 2009, 03:56:11 PM »

In Stacy Peterson's case, in a forum for that, we had a guest speaker who owns a cadaver dog, doing a Q&A about those dogs.  She said that when LE uses cadaver dogs and clear an area, they nearly always go back a second, sometimes a third time.  Their reasoning being that an area is not 'officially cleared' until the dogs go thru it again.  Not that they don't trust the dogs, but because in many cases the perp finds out where they cleared the first time and moves evidence/body into that area.  It's one reason that LE doesn't like to announce a search site, either before or after. 

Those dogs are amazing to me. Interesting point about the multiple searches. Also, I wonder if the state of decomposition makes a difference in how readily a dog "hits" on an area? IOW, for example, day 14 as opposed to day 4.... so would they go back to an area of interest after more days pass?

fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1815 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57:24 PM »

Here's the DNA article:

I just remembered that Bio mom said she'd never been inside the house...the house that's still off limits and now they want mom's dna?  Hmm...

Foggy

And where I might add bio mom said she saw pot plants growing around and bricks of pot inside???  Yet she claims to have never been in it?  Go figure.  Sorry I just couldn't help myself.
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1816 on: February 26, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »

Island, also by your analogy of Ron being an unfit parent, then Crystal would be as well cause she left the kids with ron and Misty too...

No~she has to return the kids according to the custody agreemnt.

She may very well be unfit, but this didn't happen on her watch, it happened on his.......

but maybe if she was the more stable parent, she would have had the children with her and none of this would have happened? could go back and forth on this all day...
 and you really need to get back to work....
see you soon....

In watching the back and forth between y'all... I have to say that I think you both are right!    

You both make good points.  I'd be hard pressed if I were a judge, knowing both sides of this, and trying to pick the better one over the other.  As a social worker, am thinking the best interest for children in a situation like this MIGHT BE to take them away from both families, neither being suitable for a child.  Course I'd have to know a ton more of the actual facts in this case before doing such a thing. 

Am thinking that's one of the problems we're having here.  We're not getting actual facts from both sides.  Hard to make any sense at all of what we are getting so far. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
peanut
Monkey Junky

I can spell, I just can't type.

« Reply #1817 on: February 26, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

The part about them chasing her down and trying to locate where she is is frightening. If they hadn't found anything substantial, wouldn't they simply wait until she got back from wherever?... as you just mentioned.

i would think so, i know time is always of the essence when looking for missing kids, why send people who could be working on other things on an errand to hunt her down if the delay is only an hour or two in getting her dna? i mean why do they need it now as opposed to lets say 4pm est?

Justice is truth in action - Benjamin Disraeli
rana
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1818 on: February 26, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »

Foggy

I'm getting lost. Does Crystal have the kids in her home two weekends a month?

So tranfer DNA, in the mobile home - hairs, fibers, etc from hugging, handling their laundry, being in regular general contact (even at intervals) with the kids would not be an unusual find IMO.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1819 on: February 26, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »

Well supposedly hln is showing a clip right now over and over briefly and they picked her up this morning from the trailer she and Ron are staying in?

Ronald and Crystal are not staying together. They have separate "camps." It was my understanding that Ronald is staying in the donated (loaned) travel trailer and Crystal was down the street in a tent.

I just posted a picture of the trailer, here is the tent that supposedly Crystal is staying in:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.