April 16, 2024, 06:41:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #20 2/19/09 - 2/22/09  (Read 99032 times)
Bud's Girl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #540 on: February 20, 2009, 12:41:40 AM »

Hi Buds!!!   

Hey MM!   You look so cute with your St P day green. 

Betcha been doing lots of smooching on the babies !!  So happy C is home.     

Thank you Buds.   The boy is so cool calm and collected but his sisi just loves to whine and fuss.  So girly.   

uh oh, we already know who will be the bossing the other !!   

The naked truth is always better than the best dressed lie.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #541 on: February 20, 2009, 12:47:01 AM »

(snipped)
I'm not sure anything will repel an armadillo, I can't remember what all we tried but nothing worked.  We're in S.E. Texas and they're just a nuisance we've accepted.   Now we just make sure all dog/cat food is where they can't get to it, and that the garbarge cans outside have the lids on tight so as not to attract them but apparently something else attracts them so we just et em be.

edit ...   should be 'let em be' ....   we don't eat them     

We feed our pets inside, so that isn't why they come.   They can't get to the trash, it's secured.  The dillos are after bugs and stuff in the ground.  I don't think I should try to poison everything out there either, being mindful of the creek behind me.  Everything you put on the lawn ends up in the creek.   I irrigate my lawn, as do my neighbors,  so the dillos are over in our yards grubbing for food, like earthworms and such.   The problem isn't they are in flower beds because I don't have those either.    They are digging holes all over the front yard, in the St. Augustine, which we need to continue to keep alive so the hillside doesn't erode.  And we have lots and lots of oak trees.  It wouldn't do any good to put moth balls out, I'm on a couple of acres, and I would worry about it being poison to other things.  I at first ignored the dillos, because they just went along the edges of the driveway.  Now they are digging holes all over, big enough for the front of your foot or toe to go in, and so it's getting difficult to ignore.  Walking across the yard is becoming a hazard.  I really wish the previous owners had let the yard be more natural instead of putting inSt. Augustine..  I'll figure something out.  At least I don't have problems with wild hogs like my brother does on his 15 acre place.  He killed 15 in the first two months he lived there.  They were rooting up the whole place and terrorizing his pets and livestock, digging up the stock tank etc.  They get huge!

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
marymary
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #542 on: February 20, 2009, 01:13:57 AM »

Well, I'm not sure where everyone went but i gots to get some sleep tonight, busy day tomorrow.  Good seeing you all again, stay well, stay away from the neighbors and sleep tight. 

A_News_Junkie_Monkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #543 on: February 20, 2009, 01:26:37 AM »

Muffy,
Here in Ky - we have moles.  The best way to stop their tunnels is to cut off their food source, which is grub worms.  So a grub worm treatment sends them hunting for other places for food.  Any chance they are tunneling for just one insect like grubs?
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #544 on: February 20, 2009, 01:41:28 AM »

(snipped)
I'm not sure anything will repel an armadillo, I can't remember what all we tried but nothing worked.  We're in S.E. Texas and they're just a nuisance we've accepted.   Now we just make sure all dog/cat food is where they can't get to it, and that the garbarge cans outside have the lids on tight so as not to attract them but apparently something else attracts them so we just et em be.

edit ...   should be 'let em be' ....   we don't eat them     

We feed our pets inside, so that isn't why they come.   They can't get to the trash, it's secured.  The dillos are after bugs and stuff in the ground.  I don't think I should try to poison everything out there either, being mindful of the creek behind me.  Everything you put on the lawn ends up in the creek.   I irrigate my lawn, as do my neighbors,  so the dillos are over in our yards grubbing for food, like earthworms and such.   The problem isn't they are in flower beds because I don't have those either.    They are digging holes all over the front yard, in the St. Augustine, which we need to continue to keep alive so the hillside doesn't erode.  And we have lots and lots of oak trees.  It wouldn't do any good to put moth balls out, I'm on a couple of acres, and I would worry about it being poison to other things.  I at first ignored the dillos, because they just went along the edges of the driveway.  Now they are digging holes all over, big enough for the front of your foot or toe to go in, and so it's getting difficult to ignore.  Walking across the yard is becoming a hazard.  I really wish the previous owners had let the yard be more natural instead of putting inSt. Augustine..  I'll figure something out.  At least I don't have problems with wild hogs like my brother does on his 15 acre place.  He killed 15 in the first two months he lived there.  They were rooting up the whole place and terrorizing his pets and livestock, digging up the stock tank etc.  They get huge!

YIKES Muffy, this is an entire site, photo gallery, and blog on getting rid of dillos. Who knew?

Looks like a job for Indiana Jones if you ask me !

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/professional-trapper/howtogetridofarmadillos.htm

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #545 on: February 20, 2009, 01:43:35 AM »

my photobucket is acting up but knew I had an Indy smiley - see? that's a big old dillo rolling up behind him 

Night Muffy !

I continue to stand with the girl.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #546 on: February 20, 2009, 02:33:43 AM »

OK, should I get the lights???
crazybabyborg
« Reply #547 on: February 20, 2009, 02:35:11 AM »

Night all!!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #548 on: February 20, 2009, 02:40:44 AM »

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #549 on: February 20, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »

Muffy,
Here in Ky - we have moles.  The best way to stop their tunnels is to cut off their food source, which is grub worms.  So a grub worm treatment sends them hunting for other places for food.  Any chance they are tunneling for just one insect like grubs?

Hi...this got me started this morning on what I think I have out in my area....lol.  We call him "Big Daddy" and I think he is hibernating at the moment, but will be awake and ready for my garden vegetables.  I think he is a groundhog.  He loves tomatoes....just one bite in each one....lol.  This is a National Geographic link.  My visitor looks twice as large as the picture....and he is a KY critter also.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/groundhog.html

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
A_News_Junkie_Monkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #550 on: February 20, 2009, 11:17:24 AM »

Muffy,

Hi...this got me started this morning on what I think I have out in my area....lol.  We call him "Big Daddy" and I think he is hibernating at the moment, but will be awake and ready for my garden vegetables.  I think he is a groundhog.  He loves tomatoes....just one bite in each one....lol.  This is a National Geographic link.  My visitor looks twice as large as the picture....and he is a KY critter also.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/groundhog.html

Have them too!  Oh and raccoon's - don't get me started on the night Roxy Raccoon scared my teacup poodle and me half to death! 
Don't ya just hate those one biters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Lots of animals do that.  Some are wasteful varmits just wanting the water from the tomato and others, think it is a buffet where you try it to see if you like it!
Right now - I think deer are eating my holly up on my hill and I am about to join the NRA!!!!!!!!!!! LOL 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #551 on: February 20, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »

Good morning always 1, mytime, 2NJSons_Mom, Debbie and assorted guests 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #552 on: February 20, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »

Morning Muffy Bee!!!

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #553 on: February 20, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »

Seems some of these critters are shared in many parts of the country.  As a kid, I remember my parents having a vegetable garden and Dad trying to keep the woodchucks/groundhogs, rabbits, etc. from his veggies.  Many times the tops were found eaten away.  Deer, opposum, raccoons & an occasional bear roam through there, too.

My DH & I bought a home about 10 miles north of our parent's homes and have experienced groundhogs, rabbits, deer, wild turkeys, foxes, cayotes, and within the past 5 years the black bears have been pushed into our area.  They are amazing to look at, but scary to encounter one on one.  At least twice last year, I had those encounters and my heart rate was up there!   We used to have chipmunks galore, moles & field mice, but our cat has lessened those because since she's been around we see less of them.

Having read MuffyBee's armadillo campaign, I have to admit that the only time I've had to use a have-a-heart trap is when a feral cat community started to get out of control and brought them to the local shelter. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #554 on: February 20, 2009, 11:50:39 AM »

Hi,

I was busy writing.             

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #555 on: February 20, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »

Muffy - if you still haven't found any answers, my suggestion would be to call your local Golf course or Country Club and ask their maintenance men what to do!  It appears this is a big problem for them as well because these little buggers dig up the greens.....and we can't have that!! (sarcasm from an occasional golf widow)  LOL   

They may know some helpfill tips!!  I just hope it is not a .22 handgun!!    

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #556 on: February 20, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »

Good Morning Muffy and All!! 

My day started me out in tears - so I am in need of some good laughs!!! 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #557 on: February 20, 2009, 12:07:17 PM »

mytime ~  why did you start the day in tears, if I may ask?  Is something wrong with family or pets?

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #558 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »

mytime ~  why did you start the day in tears, if I may ask?  Is something wrong with family or pets?

Yes, we have been having some issues with my son!!  As his mom, my heart breaks for him!  The first 8yrs of his life were so emotionally and phyically abusive, that it seems he is struggling with it now as he is turning into a 13 year old boy!!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #559 on: February 20, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »

Yes, we have been having some issues with my son!!  As his mom, my heart breaks for him!  The first 8yrs of his life were so emotionally and phyically abusive, that it seems he is struggling with it now as he is turning into a 13 year old boy!!

Aww...that's a tough age to begin with for some, let alone having that kind of history to add to it.     

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.