March 29, 2024, 03:20:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albuquerque's Murder Mystery...body count 13 / New Mexico (ALL 13 ID'd)  (Read 192244 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »

Final West Mesa victim identified
DNA confirms victim was Jamie Barela
Updated: Tuesday, 26 Jan 2010, 5:41 PM MST
Published : Tuesday, 26 Jan 2010, 3:57 PM MST

Albuquerque police on Tuesday said DNA shows the final unidentified victim of the West Mesa serial murders was Jamie Barela, a 15-year-old girl reported missing in April 2004.

Barela was last seen leaving a family gathering with her cousin, Evelyn Salzar, who had earlier been identified as another victim. The two at the time were heading to a park near San Mateo and Gibson in southeast Albuquerque.

The remains of 11 women were found buried nude in a mass grave on Albuquerque's West Mesa last February. Police said the victims had been buried between 2001 and 2005.

The first 10 victims that had been identified all had histories of drug use and prostitution, according to police.

The University of North Texas helped test the DNA of the victims to help identify them.

Police have not named any suspects, but said they have zeroed in on a few people. They said they are sure the killer is not still roaming the streets.

The 118th Street Task Force is still investigating the deaths. Anybody with information that could help is asked to call the Albuquerque Police Department tip line at 1-877-SOLV-APD (1-877-765-8273).
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/final-west-mesa-victim-identified

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »

These some of the known missing women, let their names not be forgotten.

Darlene Trujillo missing since 2001

Sonia Lente missing since 2002/BODY FOUND 2004 on Isleta Pueblo ID'd 2009

Monica Candalaria missing since 2003/BODY FOUND

Jamie Barela missing since 2004 / BODY FOUND

Cinnamon Elks missing since 2004 /BODY FOUND

Veronica Romero missing since 2004/BODY FOUND

Victoria Chavez missing since 2004 / BODY FOUND

Michelle Gina Valdez missing since 2004 / BODY FOUND w/Fetus

Virginia Cloven missing since 2004 / BODY FOUND

Doreen Marquez missing since 2004 / BODY FOUND

Julie Nieto missing since 2004 / BODY FOUND

Evelyn Salazar missing since 2004 / BODY FOUND

Anselma Guerra missing since 2004 / BODY FOUND but not on Mesa
Info here > http://tinyurl.com/ce8mv2

Syllannia Edwards / BODY FOUND /not on list (missing from Oklahoma 8/2003)

Anna Vigil missing since 2005
Felipa Gonzales missing since 2005
Nina Herron missing since 2005
Shawntell Waltes missing since 2006
Leah Peebles missing since 2006

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/kob-new-mexico/TV7FGN5QNJ4GK78A8
BUMP

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »

Killer in N.M. still not caught
Yearlong probe fails to identify women's murderer

by Heather Clark
Associated Press Writer
Article Last Updated; Sunday, February 07, 2010  12:23

AMALBUQUERQUE - Authorities are looking for men who hire prostitutes and are prone to violence as they try to find out who killed 11 women and buried their bodies in a desert mesa on Albuquerque's southwest side.
But one year after the first human bone was discovered by a hiker, detectives remain tightlipped about what they've learned.

“We've got all our victims identified, so now johns are one of the groups of people that we are definitely focusing on," Police Chief Ray Schultz said.

All the victims are female, and all but one are from Albuquerque. Almost all the victims worked as prostitutes before they disappeared from 2003 to early 2005.

“We're especially looking for information on johns, people who were picking up women involved in prostitution, that were threatening, violent, attempting to force women to do things that the women did not want to do, people that were overly aggressive, people that were irrational," Schultz said.

The chief is careful not to close the door on any theories and said the suspect most likely is a male who acted alone. He declined to elaborate, citing the ongoing investigation. The suspects include a man who was killed in 2006 by a pimp who caught him stuffing a prostitute's body into a car trunk; a pimp who died of natural causes in 2009; and two people who are in prison.

Asked about release dates for the imprisoned suspects, Schultz said: “At this point in time, no one's close to being released."

The FBI has provided a profile of the suspect, but Schultz wouldn't discuss details.

The department has six employees committed full-time to the case and sometimes other officers are called to help them. Schultz hopes a reward, boosted to $100,000 in December, will loosen lips.

Schultz denied the case has gone cold. A forensics laboratory at the University of North Texas, which identified most of the victims, continues to provide other clues from the remains, Schultz said. He declined to say what information was received.

“We continue to learn more about these 11 women and their lifestyles and their associates and what they were doing just before they were reported missing," he said.

Schultz said the case remains one of the department's top priorities.

“Every day I hope when I see the detectives come up here, I hope they're going to have that information for me," he said.

http://durangoherald.com/sections/News/2010/02/07/Killer__in_NM_still_not_caught/

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2010, 07:04:16 AM »

August 3, 2010

West Mesa Murder case focuses on Joplin, Mo. man

Joplin, Mo. — 

Four police officers from Albuquerque, N.M., searched two properties in Joplin, Mo. Tuesday as part of an ongoing investigation into what has been called the West Mesa Murders.
Parts of 12 bodies — all women — plus remains of a fetus have been uncovered in a remote area of Albuquerque since 2009. It is being characterized as one of the largest crime scenes in that city’s history.
Police from Albuquerque's 118th St. task force were being tight-lipped Tuesday as they searched two properties on Main Street in Joplin. Detective Tod Babcock, who is with the task force, described Ron Erwin of Joplin as a “person of interest,’ but added he is “one of many.”
Erwin is the owner of a building and house that were searched. Law enforcement officials from Albuquerque, Joplin and the Federal Bureau of Investigation were on the scene.
Nadine Hamby, spokesperson for the Albuquerque Police Department, would not provide any details other than to say it was a sealed search warrant being served in connection with a cache of bones that were found in the West Mesa area in early 2009.
She said the investigation is in the evidence-gathering phase and no one is in custody.
The investigation began when hikers accidentally came across some remains in an area that was being cleared for a housing development.
The initial discovery brought detectives, anthropologists and medical investigators to the scene, which ultimately measured about 10 yards by 30 yards.
Some of the bodies that were identified as those of women who had a history of prostitution- and drug-related charges.
Some of the women had been on Albuquerque’s missing persons list since 2003.
http://valdostadailytimes.com/todays-top-stories/x1936219042/West-Mesa-Murder-case-focuses-on-Joplin-Mo-man

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »

I watched the two hour episode of "Somebody's Daughter" on Dateline last night.  It was very, very good.  You can watch it on line from here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/

May these young women rest in peace and who ever is responsible be brought to justice.

Peace,
Lovin

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »

I watched the two hour episode of "Somebody's Daughter" on Dateline last night.  It was very, very good.  You can watch it on line from here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/

May these young women rest in peace and who ever is responsible be brought to justice.

Peace,
Lovin

Thanks LOVIN. I missed Dateline last night. I'm going to watch it online.  This has just been awful. 

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/09/five-years-after-mass-grave-discovered-albuquerque-killings-remain-unsolved/?cmpid=edpick&google_editors_picks=true
Five years after mass grave discovered, Albuquerque killings remain unsolved
February 9, 2014

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. –  The haunting images of 11 women stare back from the City of Albuquerque website as if to remind the world that five years after their bodies turned up in a mass grave on the outskirts of town, a killer likely remains on the loose.

It was early February 2009 when Christine Ross, walking her dog Ruca in a field atop a mesa, spied what turned out to be a human femur. By the time authorities were done excavating the 92-acre site -- once dubbed the biggest crime scene in American history – 11 sets of remains had been unearthed. The victims were all females between the ages of 15 and 32, and had a history of drug abuse, prostitution or both.

In the last half-decade, connections to other mass killings have been investigated and dismissed, and suspicion has focused on various drifters and criminals only to see them cleared. Authorities insist they won’t stop until they solve what is known locally as the “West Mesa murders.”
“This case will not be shelved or classified as a cold case, it will remain open until a prosecutable case can be presented to the district attorney’s office,” Cmdr. Anthony Montano, of the Albuquerque Police Violent Crimes Division, pledged to FoxNews.com.

The victims have all been linked to a stretch of the legendary Route 66, known as East Central Avenue where it passes through Albuquerque. The roadway is lined by seedy motels and fast-food joints, and known for the low-rent liaisons that take place in cars and rooms for rent. The names of the victims, who all disappeared between 2003 and 2005, are all but forgotten, except to the families and investigators who have endured the painstaking process of sifting through more than a thousand tips that eventually dwindled.

Montano wants to keep his department’s biggest unsolved crime in the forefront of people’s minds, knowing that his best chance for a break will come from a tipster. Someone who either heard or saw something involving the red dirt mesa, which also yielded the remains of a fetus.

“We are working [with local government officials] to erect a memorial site in honor of the victims,” Montano said.

Montano made it a point to reach out to the families of victims last week to provide updates on the investigation, knowing the approaching fifth-year anniversary of the mass grave’s discovery would be on their minds. All but three of the victims' families attended.

“They appeared to walk away from the meeting with a greater understanding of our investigation and were genuinely appreciative for bringing all of them together,” Montano said.

One mother still seeking answers and justice is Diana Wilhelm. Her daughter, Cinnamon Elks, was 32 when she disappeared. She said her grief dates back another five years, to when her troubled daughter disappeared.

“I know it’s the five-year anniversary, but this has been a much longer road for us,” Wilhelm told KRQE.

The case continues to shock the residents of Albuquerque, a relatively peaceful and safe city of just over half a million people. But women like those found on the mesa have long been easy targets for serial killers and gangs. Just three hours south, in Juarez, the unearthing of more than 600 women over a 10-year span made headlines. Montano says there is no connection whatsoever between the Albuquerque case and the Juarez femicide.

“Unfortunately these types of cases -- similar backgrounds -- are sometimes more common than we would like to believe," Montano said. “When it comes to this type of victimization it doesn’t matter where it happens, it is what is available to the perpetrator and all circumstances vary.”

A study by Purdue University researchers found that serial murders have declined, but when they do occur, victims are increasingly likely to be prostitutes. A year after the bodies at West Mesa were found, a similar mass grave containing the remains of six women was discovered 2,000 miles away on Long Island, N.Y.  Authorities probed a possible connection between the Albuquerque case and what became known as New York's “Gilgo Beach Murders,” but determined there is no connection.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »

Although it's been determined the West Mesa Murders and the Gilgo Beach Murders aren't connected, here is the link to the Gilgo Beach Murders thread at SM, for those interested in reading about it:

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?board=149.0
Re: BODY COUNT 11 (1 child) on Long Island beaches NY (6 ID'd)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »

sorry wrong thread, had 2 tabs open
was trying to post in the long island murder thread
dang getting old forgot link 
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=9131.msg1621181#msg1621181
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:47:00 PM by cw618 » Logged

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.