April 26, 2024, 02:32:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asking For It?  (Read 5777 times)
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« on: October 22, 2006, 10:32:51 PM »

I'm trying to make a comparison here.

Driver A flips off driver B (for whatever reason).

Driver B, who just happens to be a psycho, pulls along driver A's vehicle and takes one or more of the following, over-the-top actions:

Shoots driver A.
Rams driver A's car.

Did driver A deserve to be assaulted?

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:02:07 PM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
I'm trying to make a comparison here.

Driver A flips off driver B (for whatever reason).

Driver B, who just happens to be a psycho, pulls along driver A's vehicle and takes one or more of the following, over-the-top actions:

Shoots driver A.
Rams driver A's car.

Did driver A deserve to be assaulted?

Yes, Driver A precipitated a 'provacative' act.

Betcha in a civil court for damages, Driver A would be dunned for a percentage of responsiblity for the act.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 11:33:58 PM »

Ya know, I seem to recall one could get in a bit of trouble if they flipped off a policeman.

Think there may actually be laws about that particular activity in certain circumstances.

Possibly this wasn't a good analogy for what you are trying to get at?
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 11:46:51 PM »

No, Car, driver A did not deserve nor was asking to be assaulted. While the act may have been somewhat provocotive, it does not negate driver B's responsibility for his/her actions.

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 12:28:30 AM »

Ok, I ain't no lawyer and I haven't played one on TV and I guess you've stayed at a few more Holiday Inns than I have.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Sure wish Eleanor would come back here and post.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 12:33:30 AM »

Hi Justins,

I understand what you are saying. Drivers make all kinds of gestures. The problem lies in the other party's interpretation of the gesture.

I've been flipped off many times by 25 year old aggressive stockbrokers in Ferraris on the early morning streets and freeways during my corporate years. They were ticked off because I didn't let them force their way in front of me. They had expensive cars and I had a red Honda and nerves of steel. They flipped me off.

I am not psychotic and didn't regard it as a provocative gesture. I have other things to think about.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 12:38:02 AM »

Yup, Louise, I get ya on that one!

Don't get me wrong, Car. In this day and age, one needs to take great care in one's response (or lack thereof) to others, particularly strangers. And I've only stayed in Motel 6s.

Another stab~ Should one forget to lock one's car door or home~ is one asking to be carjacked or robbed? Is the thief not accountable?

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 12:43:39 AM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
Yup, Louise, I get ya on that one!

Don't get me wrong, Car. In this day and age, one needs to take great care in one's response (or lack thereof) to others, particularly strangers. And I've only stayed in Motel 6s.

Another stab~ Should one forget to lock one's car door or home~ is one asking to be carjacked or robbed? Is the thief not accountable?

Oh gee, really making me look like a crusty old so and so here.

I'm pretty sure lack of forcible entry can be interpreted by some insurance companies as evidence of not having done due diligence in protecting one's property.

Again not making excuses for the perp, but I do think responsible individuals should do what they can to keep honest people honest.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 12:44:29 AM »

It does appear that I have a pretty major hangup on individual responsibility.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 01:02:25 AM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
It does appear that I have a pretty major hangup on individual responsibility.

I've had occasions when I have forgotten to lock my front door, and I am normally quite good about doing so. I am always appalled when I realize that I did not do so. While a locked door will not stop a burglar (of which I have been a victim), it does slow the bastard down. Why make it easy for 'em?

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 01:16:22 AM »

Yes, back when I worked my house was unoccupied all day, and my area was a little vacant, so my house was robbed.

When police arrived I showed my open front and rear sliders and the cops immediately noticed 'no signs of forcible entry'. I was mystified as they continued to take my statement, but I was really feeling a bit guilty and under suspicion.

Another officer walked around and asked me to look to make sure I could identify everything that was missing. Soon we walked to the basement to see what might have been taken, I hadn't looked down there because it was unfinished and I didn't feel there was anything to steal down there.

Then what to my surprise, broken glass all over the floor, my daylight window had been broken out. Perps removed unbolted cover over window well and jumped down in the well pulled the cover back over them, then broke in thru the window, wearing gloves as it was discovered, and run up thru the basement steps, grabbed what electronic's they could carry and ran out both front and slider doors to escape.

I immediately felt better after discovering this to allay any suspicion on me.

So daylight windows are boarded up, and all doors have keyed both side deadbolts now, should slow down the use of the doors. Slider has hidden latches and bolts so our thru windows glass is the only way out if they could get in.

Course now I'm home 24/7/365 almost.

Also had an 88 Suzuki Samarai Softtop for awhile. Radio was held under the dash in factory box section attached only with plastic pushthru pins.

Course with parking in the driveway overnight one rainy night, radio and dash box were removed.

Reinstalled new radio in home fabricated metal inclosure fastened to metal dash structure with substantial bolts. No more snatch and grap on radio.

Don't need to give insurance companies anymore work than necessary.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 03:25:22 PM »

And having a burglar alarm will get a better insurance rate however Carnut, following your own theory, you could have had the space to the basement windows locked before the burglary.  

There is no way to cover every base and once one has exercised NORMAL diligence, no more should be expected of the victim.  Leaving a door unlocked does not give another the right to enter your home uninvited.  I leave my car unlocked all the time and sometimes with the keys in it but live in a remote area.  We have almost no crime here but then most homes are also armed and that is just understood.  No police, only sheriff's coverage from some distance away.  

And my neighbors who get raided for making crystal meth often also understand where the property line is and even they respect that.  We have a sort of understanding if you get my drift.  Evil or Very Mad They don't come over here and I don't shoot them, lol!  

More people = more crime and there are prevailing customs and standards in most communities as to what is acceptable and what is not.  These are sometimes even reflected in the local laws and ordinances.  But I tend to place total responsibility for any laws broken on those who chose to break them only.    Excusing the inexcusable by saying somebody else made them do it is just enabling and encouraging them and I just won't do it.

And I reared my children to know that they and they alone chose their own actions and no one makes them do anything.  So far, it's worked out pretty well for them, too.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 05:39:09 PM »

Our city is ranked one of the lowest crime areas in the southeast, that being said the majority of the crime is home break-in's and the majority of those perps are teens. Latest fave is to enter via garage doors then jimmy locks on doors open knowing that the garage affords them a shield from view and a sound barrier.

I've had a home prior that had no only top flight security system but also motion detectors and even treads under certain carpets which tripped the alarm. The two times a break-in was attempted, both were whacked out druggies that came right thru breaking windows in broad daylight while we were at home?  Shocked

So some security can help against some criminals, my fear is the ones that have lost their minds - such as the man who crawled under a house in GA and cut a whole through the floor of the house to crawl thru?  Shocked

I continue to stand with the girl.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.