March 28, 2024, 02:51:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Idol  (Read 8173 times)
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 12:05:51 PM »

Well, one of those "final four" just got the boot last night so there goes that theory.   

I think the final four will include Adam and Alison (who was in the bottom three last night but remember, Fantasia also hit the bottom three in her season). I know AI producers really want Danny in the final four because they love to exploit the dead wife angle. I think Lil Rounds has the technical vocal skills to merit being in the Final Four BUT performance-wise, she just doesn't "grab" me, she doesn't connect with the audience in the same way that Danny does or even Anoop does. Lil can stop worrying about whether or not she can sing circles around the other contestants. She can (except maybe Adam). She needs to relax and have fun rather than showing us, the audience, what an "A" student she is in technical skill. She'd be greatly helped by picking songs that are well-known and the audience already identifies with. Picking more obscure songs won't help.

Danny's got a great voice for ballads but, ultimately, the audience also wants to hear rock n' roll and real wailing and the power notes. I think when Danny goes for gritty and powerful, he is not in his comfort zone and it shows. Alexis, who got the boot last night, had a voice and style that was entirely comfortable with powering up into harder rock.

Anoop has the same problem and he doesn't even have as good a voice as Danny. Even when Anoop did Bobby Brown in Hollywood week his voice couldn't get gritty and a harder edge. R&B doesn't sound natural to him, it is almost karaoke-like.

Megan has a voice but it is a one-trick-pony voice -- she will always have to bring it under the umbrella of a slightly bluesy 1940's- style big band female singer. Like the ballad voices, the audience will ultimately grow bored with it and even her pretty looks won't save her then.

Adam absolutely connects with the audience, almost as if he's coming out of the TV screen and standing in front of you. He needs to be careful to appear to be a nice humble guy and never arrogant about his clear vocal advantage over the other singers. He also needs to heed Simon's criticism because as much as people love to boo Simon, he's usually speaking for a large portion of the viewing audience.

I like Kris a lot but he's not being promoted or talked up or talked to as mega-star material (the way Lil or Adam are, for example). The show presents him almost as a background singer or one of the lesser singers and if he stays in the game very long at all, it will be because of the teenage girls who see him as a heartthrob. Do you see how the show tries to present Matt Giraud as the next Justin Timberlake? Do they moon over Kris in the same way? Nope. And Matt's vocal skill is about on par with Kris and Danny, good but nothing earth-shattering. Kris is every bit as good as those other guys but he's not getting the same build-up.

I don't have anything against Matt but he does not have the swagger or stage presence of a star and that gap is being nicely filled in by Ryan and the judges who DO want him built up.

I think if Anoop, Matt, and the oil rig guy were the next to leave, it would not hurt the competition. The oil rig guy scored BIG points with the audience for crying over his little girl. That might carry through to next week but he's about on level with Anoop. They are the two bottom singers, IMHO.

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »

Big fan here  Since season 1.

But unlike other seasons -- I have no favorite yet. Nor have I picked the final 4 as I have in previous seasons.

I liked the girl who left this week. I enjoyed her version of Jolene -- and I'm NOT a country fan.

I like the funky girl -- with the Maria Muldaur/Leon Redbone voice lol. But not as idol.

I like Daughtry -- but not the new rocker. He is my hubby's fave.

I wish the country crooner had left. 'Cause he's not good. I predicted Carrie Underwood even though I did not like her music.

Strange season for me so far. I have NO prediction. lol

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 02:34:45 AM »

And then there was 9...Bye bye Michael - nice guy, decent vocalist but I guess you weren't that marketable

Motown theme was a definite winner overall - guest performances were fabulous!

OMG when is Megan gonna go she suxs!   I think everyone that left so far deserved to stay over her.

This week Adam & Allison blew me away.   For 16 Allison never ceases to amaze, the girl has depth & stage presence of someone much more seasoned.   Not in style or sound but the way Adam dressed this week, wow what a transformation & looked like a very young Elvis a little bit - surprise factor!  Love Danny too, he's got pipes & is joyous - I'd say this is the top 3 barring no major mess ups, my humble opinion subject to change & I cant decide on a 4th...I'd say the girl vote might lean toward Matt & Kris for them to make it thru.

Major disappointment for me the past 2 weeks, Lil Round.   She better bring it next week.   Scott is in jeopardy of leaving soon, bless his heart he's been very impressive not just in performance but how he carries himself minimizing his challenges.

Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 07:13:37 PM »

JMHO   WOO HOO finally Megan is gone! 

oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 07:30:05 PM »

This is really funny... 

Bill O'Reilly Experiences Idol Induced Gay Panic (VIDEO)

Via Towleroad comes news that hit show American Idol has given Bill O'Reilly a mild case of the Dan Whites. It would seem that contestant Adam Lambert is gay, and like many gay men, has kissed another man. And there are pictures, on the internets, of one such kiss. To my mind, we really haven't yet encountered any sort of newsworthy or groundbreaking concepts here, but then, I'm not Bill O'Reilly, full up with angry snail pus at the sight of the modern world, growing and expanding around me.

To O'Reilly, these images have his heart all aflutter, because they are "embarrassing." Insanely, O'Reilly says this out of concern for the show. He asks his guest, Margaret Hoover, "Will these pictures have an effect on this program, which is a cultural phenomenon in America?" Hoover, because she's apparently spent more than a week on this planet, says, "No, I do not," and then goes on to note the rich tradition of Americans being able to wrap their heads around the idea that some members of the LGBT community can sing, and whatnot, some to great acclaim.

Of course, the genius here is that if Lambert gets voted off, O'Reilly will be able to claim that it happened because OMGZ TEH GAYZ! TEH GAYZ HAZ CONTROVERSHUL KISSINGS! This will obscure the sound reason for why Lambert might get voted off, which is that he interprets nearly every song in a way that accommodates his strange emo falsetto mindfreaking. (And that unforgivable murdering of Johnny Cash's "Ring Of Fire," gah.)

The most ludicrous thing O'Reilly does, of course, is the ridiculous length to which he goes to protect his viewing audience from the sight of Lambert kissing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-LwY5rtefo&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/R-LwY5rtefo&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

LINK

ADAM LAMBERT RESPONDS TO THE NON-CONTROVERSY:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lK28prQLg8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-lK28prQLg8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Adam's latest performance:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xwN2sAwsZuY&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/xwN2sAwsZuY&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 02:55:45 AM »

<a href="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/49a97b18d2358614/49e97841f0eaeed0/49e4ec8a78600119/534dbd30" target="_blank">http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/49a97b18d2358614/49e97841f0eaeed0/49e4ec8a78600119/534dbd30</a>

fmk
Scared Monkey

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 12:01:02 AM »

They were kind of quick getting Lil Rounds off the show tonight , i thought her performances had came to a peak weeks ago.I was suprised Anoop went home before Matt , Matt i think only stayed because the judges saved him last week and it is really obvious now that was a wasted save.
To be honest ive thought it a foregone conclusion for weeks now , Adam Lambert without a doubt , i felt like im watching History being made when i see him perform.Great things ahead for that young man.
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 08:54:55 AM »

I was not an original Adam fan -- but I am a convert.

Not sure if he is 'Idol' or not, though. Daughtry did much better, imo, as a 'non idol winner'. Adam has a bright future either way.

Glad L'il is finally gone -- she had the whole package, with the exception of a voice, imo. She had one note -- and didn't always reach it. lol

I like the 16 year old. She reminds me of Kelly Clarkson.

And I like one of the guys -- the one that did the 'raggae/soul' version of Donna Summer. Too bad I can't remember his name.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.