March 29, 2024, 06:21:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Job Exports - Just Say No!  (Read 2611 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 01, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »

How many times are people advised to "just say no" to drugs, unruly children, and other behavior issues?  Stand up and show your backbone.

It seems like jobs have been exported for many, many years for profit and prosperity that is limited to just a few super-rich people and companies.  These companies turn around and sell these goods to Americans.  All this stuff and the American aren't getting richer.  Our deficits are higher, our children go without healthcare and their parents without jobs.  Is there any nation on the globe that allows so many to sell so freely in our markets?  Buy American land and lose control of our natural resources?

Not just in the U.S. -

Pacific Brands, an Australian-based transnational with operations in New Zealand, United Kingdom, Malaysia, China and Indonesia, announced on Wednesday that it was closing nearly all its factories, including one in China. The company revealed a half-year loss of $149.95 million, after writing off of about $200 million in non-cash assets.

In a cost-cutting restructuring operation dictated by a syndicate of banks, the company will outsource all its garment making, which is already 70 percent performed by contractors. Seven factories will be shut down in Australia—two in Melbourne, and one each in Sydney, Wollongong, Cessnock and Brisbane—with the loss of 1,200 jobs, on top of the 850 jobs destroyed in China, and another 650 office jobs internationally.

Outrage over the job losses has been fuelled by revelations that executives at Pacific Brands scored pay rises of up to 170 percent last year, with the total remuneration for 13 directors more than doubling from just over $7 million to $15.5 million, despite a 45 percent fall in the share price in the six months leading up to the pay deals.

The Transport Workers Union, Maritime Union of Australia and the Rail Tram and Bus Union announced yesterday that they would block any attempts to move company machinery to Bangladesh, although Pacific Brands denied it planned such a move.

A machinist, Merilou Orland, challenged Owens: "If we lose this job, where are we going to go? Me and my husband don't make $80,000 a year between us. How are we going to pay our mortgage and bills?" Owens had no answer, except to claim that Centrelink, the government's welfare payments agency, would "be there for you".

Maybe they could move to Bangladesh?  Good jobs there?  Perhaps people in Bangladesh will be buying all the products they will now make?  No need to export them anywhere?

"Are they [the banks] going to help us? What have they promised the government? That they will help us? I don't think so!

"Where is that money now? It's a big question. My children will be struggling for things that they need, and they will be asking. What am I going to tell them? I just can't understand things anymore."

When it was suggested that the banks should be nationalised under workers' control, she said: "We wish; why not? I may not be good at managing things, but I am good at my job. We are all multi-skilled here, but where are we going to get a job? There's nothing."

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/feb2009/pacb-f28.shtml

When do locals get the job advantage?  Who can compete with low wage earners in Bangladesh?  When does creating a balanced economy start?  An economy that puts America first?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 06:54:36 AM »

When will business that employ Americans have the hometown advantage in our markets?  Jobs that support American families and not the super-rich global companies and individuals?

But as Paul Krugman, the 2008 Nobel Prize Winner in Economics, argues: "A more plausible route to sustained recovery [for the US] would be a drastic reduction in the US trade deficit, which soared at the same time the housing bubble was inflating. By selling more to other countries and spending more of our own income on US-produced goods, we could get to full employment without a boom in either consumption or investment spending."

The implication is that for America to sustain strong growth in the future, it has to export more and import less. That’s bad news for export-oriented countries like Japan, China, South Korea, and to some extent, the Philippines.

For the Philippines, the business process outsourcing industry may be adversely affected by Obama’s plan to remove the tax breaks for companies that ship jobs abroad. Understandably, a firm’s decision to outsource its services abroad will be dictated by pure economics: the firm will continue to outsource jobs abroad if the benefits outweigh the costs of removal of tax incentives.

http://www.bworldonline.com/BW022609/content.php?id=144

Perhaps the economy wouldn't be so bad in the U.S. if they didn't ramp up job exports along with other job losses.  How many job are moving to other places?  Jobs that could be done right here in America, but take advantage of cheaper foreign labor?  Who in America can compete with a job paying $5 a day?  Is that the wage next year for union and non-union jobs?

Maybe Obama should include Paul Krugman in his list of advisors.

If you do business in the U.S. and sell goods here, I think you should have all the advantages and disadvantages of your local competition.  That includes funding social programs, helping everyone live their value system.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:04:18 AM »

We need to bring work and jobs back into this country so that we have people/consumers with money that can buy our products. Sending all of our manufacturing jobs to foreign countries took our best-paying jobs with them, leaving too few consumers behind with jobs to buy our goods.

I know it is easy to blame big business for sending these jobs to foreign countries, but the American buying public is just as much to blame. We buy cheap, without any care for where or how an item is made.

Take Wal-Mart, for example. When Sam Walton started the company, he proudly marketed "Buy American." Now, you would be hard-pressed to find American-made products in his stores.

Sending jobs to foreign countries to lower our costs does not and did not work. It did not work in our free market system because it eliminated the buying power (jobs) of the people who make up our market, our consumers.

All businesses outsource work, either to lower costs because someone else has a better way of making the product or because they need to increase their capacity. My brothers and I do this in our three companies (but only with American companies). However, now that times are tough and sales are down, we have brought many of these jobs back into our shops to better utilize our people and assets.

Building roads and schools is good, but stimulus payments back to the American people are only a Band Aid. We need jobs, and to get jobs, we need to bring the work back. 

Create incentives to buy American. Eliminate all the pet projects of our congressmen and women from the stimulus bill and work on helping to bring work back into this country.  Hard work built this country, and hard work will save it!

As Americans we need to take back our country and have pride and loyalty in being the best country in the world.  Stop blaming the other side and start doing what you can for your country. We don't need to wait for the stimulus. We can start today by “Buying American - Building American - Being American!" This goes for every American citizen, whether you are buying for your company or your family!

http://www.biztimes.com/blogs/milwaukee-biz-blog/2009/2/26/buy-american-be-american

Support our American value system.  This nation is very large.  Why should fewer and fewer large international companies control our lives?  Will small and medium sized companies ever compete with companies who manufacture goods and services in places where labor is cheap?  Places that don't have the advantage of our value system?

"Create incentives to buy American." - I like that.  American can also include Mexico and Canada, they are good neighbors and it makes sense to trade with locals.

jmho

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:10:51 AM »

“We would have to wait and see how the rules are framed and implemented. If significant tax incentives were taken away from US companies that outsource work to more cost effective locations, then Indian service providers would certainly feel the impact, as lesser work would be contracted out,” FICCI said.

FICCI noted that the decision to outsource is purely economic and that US companies will have to do their own cost benefit analysis before arriving at any results. “We see a case of a clear trade-off between greater efficiency and global competitiveness on one side, and immediate revenue gains in the near term from tax rebates and tax-breaks,” it said.

The PHDCCI President, Mr Satish Bagrodia, said, “Now, it appears that US is taking the lead in protectionism, which is against globalisation.”

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2009/02/26/stories/2009022651150700.htm

If Americans are supposed to volunteer and give back, what do all these businesses give back to America as they export jobs?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:19:20 AM »

Americans supporting their own destruction through the Obama recovery act?

...economists can't predict the effect of stimulus any better than you or I or a damn monkey, so no conclusions were reached. But aside from the roughly 128,000 temporary jobs that would be created for pure construction of rural broadband, the effects of such expansion are pretty much a mystery. One group of economists believes that the increased connectivity will result in more jobs in e-commerce and telecommuting, but another thinks it'll just make it that much easier to outsource to cheaper options in China and India.

Estimates on job creation range from 378,000 jobs gained to 110,000 jobs lost, with everything in between.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5157817/rural-broadband-expansion-might-actually-lose-jobs

How can an American in rural America compete for internet jobs with people in nations with access to cheap goods?  American businesses and taxpayers have to support our value system, but foreign competition does not.  mo

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 07:38:08 AM »

The legal industry is cooked. Toilet schools are pumping out more graduates then ever, and the ABA just passed a rule allowing corporations to outsource massive volumes of legal work to India. I have five years of experience and I haven’t been able to land a document review for months.

Comment by anonymous - February 26, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Call one of the many legal contracting companies in Chicago, Ajilon, Robert Half, Special Counsel etc. and ingratiate yourself to the project managers. You can earn decent money as a contract attorney if you are able to consistently find projects. To make sure that you are able to stay on projects, all you have to do is 1. show up on time everyday and not leave early; 2. work on your assigned task while you are there; and 3. don’t complain. If you can do those three seemingly simple things, you will stand out from the crowd and be a sought after commodity in the contracting world.

Comment by Anonymous - February 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm

2:30. Not a bad idea.
The medical profession has been limiting the amount of doctors for years. In fact, among the proposals towards solving the health care crisis is to admit more doctors and limit damages on cases involving malpractice.

In this case, the problem is the reverse - too many lawyers and too many second-tier law schools.
I’m a believer in supply and demand. Let the market dictate the amount of lawyers. Eventually, the tide will turn. Out of work lawyers will turn to other professions. The second-tier law schools will begin experiencing fewer and fewer applicants. Their alums will stop donating their money since they’re not making any. In due time, these schools will close down. Standards to apply to first-tier law schools will go up. Demand will go up. And, hopefully, supply will go down. I give this scenario 10 years.

Comment by Rams - February 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/02/26/meet-dan-zoloth-dorfman-a-laid-off-lawyer/

With all the expanded healthcare, or spending if the healthcare is really not expanding, what is Obama doing to increase the number of doctors in the U.S.?  Bring down the cost of medical care by increasing the supply of doctors?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »

Where in the Obama plan does it promote small and startup business in America?  Green jobs won't last forever.  mo

Cornell and U Mass found that in 2001 there were over 201,000 jobs outsourced from America. (Myers, L., 2004) During that same time frame unionized jobs fell by 39% and other production type jobs fell 29%. Many of those were white collar service jobs or IT type jobs. The vast majority of those lost could be captured in India as their employment rate grew by nearly the same number as those lost in the USA. By 2004 the number of jobs outsourced was more than 406,000 and rising. Unionized jobs lost due to outsourcing at that time were over 69% with no abatement in sight. Do you see a disturbing trend here?

Forrester, an independent Boston firm, estimates that we are losing 12-15,000 jobs monthly to outsourcing. (Otterman, S., 2004) Furthermore, they conclude that there will be more than 3.3 million jobs lost in America by 2015 unless we do something to curtail this progression. Can America afford to continue this practice without becoming a third world country ourselves?

Trade is a good thing if it is balanced and not swayed toward those countries considered less developed than we, in America, are. Outsourcing, in and of itself, should not be stopped altogether, but instead limited and balanced with job creation in America. Tabulation of jobless and other employment statistics need be handled my competent organizations with no political stake in their outcome.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/91921

Balanced trade...what a concept!

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.