March 28, 2024, 03:00:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 16591 times)
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: October 23, 2006, 01:04:55 PM »

Would anybody like to start a book discussion?  I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.  It is an incredible novel and I highly recommend it.  The story is set in a remote rural village in Imperial China and follows the life of two girls who grew to womanhood in the rigid, male-dominated traditional society, where women were completely without value except for the purpose of bearing sons.  Great detail about the cruel and excrutiating practice of foot-binding, as well as the lost art of nu shu, a secret language women developed to communicate with each other, unknown to men.

I'm also reading A History of God by Karen Armstrong and Writing Brave and Free by Ted Kooser.  Finding Darwin's God is waiting in the wings, but I need to find a good novel.

How about it?  What's on your nightstand?
da_wench
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 02:00:58 PM »

I started reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series when I was pregnant with my daughter more than 16 years ago.  Somewhere along the line I stopped reading novels.  I just never seemed to have the time with two energetic kids at home, school activities and neverending holiday crafting.  Last month I picked up book 5 of the 7-book series (Wolves of the Calla) and knowing I would be hungry for more when I finished those 700-something pages, I picked up $6 just before I got to the end.  So now I'm reading Song of Susannah.

Next up, book #7, the Dark Tower and then the 4 or 5 other SK books I have neglected over the years.

I know where Avery is, but WHERE'S CAYLEE?
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »

Quote from: "da_wench"
I started reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series when I was pregnant with my daughter more than 16 years ago.  Somewhere along the line I stopped reading novels.  I just never seemed to have the time with two energetic kids at home, school activities and neverending holiday crafting.  Last month I picked up book 5 of the 7-book series (Wolves of the Calla) and knowing I would be hungry for more when I finished those 700-something pages, I picked up $6 just before I got to the end.  So now I'm reading Song of Susannah.

Next up, book #7, the Dark Tower and then the 4 or 5 other SK books I have neglected over the years.

You'll be pizzed at the ending! Drat that Stephen King!  Wink

I plan to read a kid's novel titled "Uglies" or something to that effect. A coworker loaned it to my client, and I want it when the client is finished with it!

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 08:45:28 PM »

I gave up reading about 10 or 11 years ago when the internet drew my attention.

Gave up all my magazine subs.

Have opened some OS manuals since but haven't read a book since.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:39:10 PM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
I gave up reading about 10 or 11 years ago when the internet drew my attention.

Gave up all my magazine subs.

Have opened some OS manuals since but haven't read a book since.

Oh Carnut that is a shame!  Can't imagine life without a good book handy.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 06:59:24 AM »

I love to read! And Justin has caught the same bug from me. He loves to relay to others what he has read. He reads well above his grade level, so it won't be long until we can have our own little family book club. We went to a bookstore (at his request) last weekend. I lucked out and found some awsome books on clearance. Part of his Christmas is now tucked away at my office. I can hardly wait to give them to him!

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 07:00:12 AM »

p.s. I'm raising a nerd! LOL!

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 12:15:39 PM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
p.s. I'm raising a nerd! LOL!

Good for you!  I have one of those.  He's at a university now pursuing a degree in bioengineering; he wants to do research in neuroscience.  He was always a reader, loved the Harry Potter series when it first came out, loved the Redwall series and always enjoyed science fiction.  Nerds rule!!
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 10:59:28 PM »

After my life as an Army brat, I came to Southern California when I was 6 years old. My mother was from NY City where they read books. I learned to read books. My mother had a collection of classics, all of which I read. My husband was an aberration as a Californian because he loved to read books too. He used to read me James Michener's "Hawaii" in the bathtub. After we separated, he sent me many books. The ones I loved the best were by Michener. I read like a maniac. Most of what I've learned in my life comes from reading.

Now that my vision has deteriorated, I only read Time Magazine, Rolling Stone and Better Homes and Gardens. Also I look at the pics in Lucky for fashion tips. I read the news on the computer.

So I just collect books now ... books that I know I'll never be able to read but I want to have them. I love political books. The last book I read cover to cover was Dave Holloway's book. Before that, I read cover to cover "House of Bush, House of Saud."

Within the next few days, I intend to purchase "The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama and "Culture Warrior" by Bill O'Reilly.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 12:13:44 AM »

Louise, my friend, if we lived near one another, I would read to you.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 01:39:50 AM »

Awwwww, Justins, it would be the lap of luxury for you to read to me. Thank you. I love you to pieces.

I can still read, it just is harder than it was in the old days. I used to recline on a pillow on my sofa and read a paperback. The light came from a lamp across the room. I could see just fine.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 04:48:31 PM »

I 'm reading the Stephanie Plum series of books by Janet Evanovich. They are very funny, light, fluffy reading. I read for stress relief, so I am keeping it fun and entertaining for the moment.
I have asked for Larry Garrison's book for my birthday, so maybe I will start that one soon.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 10:45:56 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Awwwww, Justins, it would be the lap of luxury for you to read to me. Thank you. I love you to pieces.

I can still read, it just is harder than it was in the old days. I used to recline on a pillow on my sofa and read a paperback. The light came from a lamp across the room. I could see just fine.

Hi Mom!  I love James Michener too!  I love historical fiction.  Shoot I just love to read.  I started first grade when I was 5.  They didn't want me, but my Mom said she's already been to kindergarten, she reads, does multiplication, etc.  Reluctantly they took me and I won the First Grade Reader Award out of a hundred or so students both semesters. I read all the books in the children's section at the library by the time I was 7 and had to get permission to check out adult books. Before the internet, when I would get desperate to read something, I would open the kitchen pantry and start reading the labels!  LOL.

Louise - they make books now with large print, and ontape.  Our library here checks out the audio books.

Right now I'm reading 2 books:

Ordinary Heroes by Scott Turow - it's about WWII & life lessons learned

Coroner's Journal - It's written by the Louisianna Chief Medical Examiner about the horrors of Katrina and ID'ing all the bodies.  What a nightmare.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 11:17:14 PM »

LOL @ Sunfreak reading labels! I used to do that, too!

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 07:22:50 PM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
I 'm reading the Stephanie Plum series of books by Janet Evanovich. They are very funny, light, fluffy reading. I read for stress relief, so I am keeping it fun and entertaining for the moment.
I have asked for Larry Garrison's book for my birthday, so maybe I will start that one soon.

I love the parts where he discusses the Grifters.... but that's all I will say....

I am a voracious reader... Love Stephaine Plum too!  MeMere was the one that turned me on to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum....

I am into fluffy right now... I get enough reading heavy duty at work....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »

I tend to get fascinated with a subject and read lots on it and end up with a big collection of books on the topic. I've done that in the past with Lizzie Borden and Jack the Ripper.

My topic of choice right now is reincarnation, and I've recently re-read a book I really like on the subject. Has anyone else here read Mission To Millboro?

I Stand With The Girl
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 11:42:31 PM »

BT, I know what you mean. I have more books on Fung Shui than you could imagine.

I have not read the book you mentioned but I'm a firm believer in reincarnation. I discussed it years ago with my daughter (born 1966) and she said she is a reincarnated Viet Nam vet.  I cannot doubt her.

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 04:02:58 PM »

Louise,

In another thread - I don't remember which one - you made reference to a story about fate.  Again, I don't remember details, but it was quite haunting.  If you recall, please post the name of the book as I think I would like to read it.  Thanks!
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 01:24:03 AM »

A's,

It was in the Corey Lidle thread.

"Appointment in Samarra" - a novel by John O'Hara, published in 1934 by Harcourt, Brace and Company, Inc., New York.

The foreword was written by W. Somerset Maugham and I've condensed it.  In Bagdad, a merchant sent his servant to the marketplace for provisions. The servant came running back very frightened. He said, Master, I saw Mr. Death at the marketplace and he made a threatening gesture toward me. Lend me your horse so I can ride to Samarra where death will not find me. And he rode off. The merchant went down to the marketplace and found Mr. Death and asked "why did you threaten my servant." Mr. Death said it was not a threatening gesture ... it was only a start of surprise ... I was astonished to see him in Bagdad for I have an appointment tonight with him in Samarra.

A's, I have never read the book, just the foreward.

I just googled it and found this summary: It is the story of Julian English, a rather unlikable, conceited Cadillac dealer who throws a drink in an influential businessman's face which leads to his rapid downfall in a fictional Pennsylvania town at Christmas time in 1930. He captures the time and culture of early depression America in a small city where everyone knows everyone else.  Julian apparently made a fatal mistake.

Some years ago I was discussing the movie "The House of Sand and Fog" with my daughter, which was a heartbreaker. She said, "Each character made one fatal mistake that created an entertwined chain of events that led towards all their downfalls."

I believe in fate. If I go back to get my sunglasses and then get in an accident, I wonder what would have happened had I not gone back. I would have escaped. Others have told me I would probably have been hit by a big rig and going back saved my life.

I don't understand fate and we can't explain it in scientific terms.

Jacqueline
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 11:34:47 AM »

Reading now:

WAR OF THE GODFATHERS The Bloody Confrontation between the Chicago and New York Families for Co.

Just finished:  The Bad Guys Won....

Re: the 1986 NY MET Team.....

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.