April 19, 2024, 09:43:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Husband in double murder-suicide had killed previous wife in 1987!!  (Read 3167 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: March 03, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!   

Husband in double murder-suicide had killed previous wife

CHICAGO (AP) -- A man who stabbed his first wife to death more than two decades ago used a Civil War replica rifle to kill his current wife and her son before committing suicide in their upscale suburban home, police said Tuesday.

Richard Wiley left a 40-page, handwritten suicide note indicating he shot and killed Kathy Motes, 50, and Christopher Motes, 17, and saying he refused to go back to prison, Wilmette police Deputy Chief Brian King said.

Police conducting a well-being check Monday found the three bodies inside their Wilmette home, a parsonage of the family's church, where Kathy Motes worked.

King said Wiley, 54, apparently killed his wife and stepson Saturday afternoon, then shot himself Sunday night.

Wiley stabbed his 25-year-old wife, Ruth, to death in 1985, and was convicted and sentenced to 30 years in prison two years later, according to news reports at the time. He was paroled in 2000.

At his murder trial, Wiley said he suffered from a rare mental disease called "intermittent explosive disorder," but the judge rejected his claim that he was insane. Wiley reportedly called police himself after the 1985 killing and was found "leaning over the victim, hugging her and crying, `I'm sorry, I'm sorry.'"

Wiley suggested in his suicide note that he killed Kathy Motes during an argument, then killed her son.

"It's a kind of a dissertation of the difficulties that Mr. Wiley was having," King said of the note, adding that it included "hints of remorse."

Wiley met Kathy Motes through their church, First Presbyterian of Wilmette, where she worked as an office coordinator. The pastor, the Rev. Sarah Sarchet Butter, said church members knew about Wiley's past but that "our faith community welcomed and loved him."

Wiley was unemployed but was a talented carpenter who had built cabinets for the church, Butter said.

She said Kathy Motes was "beloved of our congregation," and that Christopher "enriched our congregation in every way."

Authorities believe Wiley shot Kathy Motes around 2:30 p.m Saturday, then shot the teen when he returned home from a Boy Scout meeting later in the afternoon, King said.

The bodies of Wiley and Kathy Motes were found in a second-floor bedroom, while Christopher Motes was found in an upstairs bathroom; all three had single gunshot wounds to the head, King said.

The murder weapon, found by Wiley's body in a second-floor bedroom, was a black-powder, muzzleloading Civil War replica rifle that may have belonged to Christopher Motes, a Civil War buff, King said.

Wiley apparently had sawed off the barrel of the rifle, which could take several minutes to load because it requires black powder and a metal ball to be loaded through the muzzle, he said.

Despite Wiley's criminal history, King said police had no previous complaints of violence at the Wilmette home and there were no orders of protection against Wiley.

"There's nothing that predicted this level of violence in that home," King said at a news conference.

But James Morici, who prosecuted Wiley for the 1985 murder, told the Chicago Tribune he remembered Wiley as a menacing figure.

"Sometimes people have asked me over the years if there is anybody I was afraid would come after me," Morici said. "And the only one I could think of was Richard Wiley. I could picture him sitting in the penitentiary, biding his time."

Christopher Motes' classmates at New Trier Township High School were in shock, District 203 Superintendent Linda Yonke said Tuesday.

"Chris was a well-known and well-loved senior. ... He was an easygoing student who had many friends," Yonke said. "New Trier staff and students are devastated by this tragedy."

He participated in Scouts, belonged to a military history club at New Trier and had been accepted to attend Roanoke College in Virginia, Yonke said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BODIES_FOUND_ILLINOIS?SITE=MTBIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »

Man Who Murdered Wife Decades Ago Found Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide

In 1987, Richard Wiley was sentenced to 30 years in prison for stabbing his 25-year-old wife to death. He served 15 years, and was released in 2000, apparently remarrying around that time.

Yesterday, his body, his current wife's body and her 17-year-old son's body were found in the parsonage of a church in an upscale Chicago suburb, where his wife worked as office coordinator. Although an investigation has not yet been completed, it seems clear that Wiley shot his wife and stepson to death before shooting himself to death, according to the Sun-Times.

Wiley, 54, had unsuccessfully asserted an insanity defense based on his "intermittent explosive disorder" at trial for the murder of his previous wife, the newspaper writes.

His current wife, Kathryn Wiley-Motes, had worked for about a decade at First Presbyterian Church of Wilmette and was studying to become a Methodist minister. Her son, Christopher Motes, was a senior at New Trier High School and was on his way to becoming an Eagle Scout.

Wiley apparently killed his wife and stepson on Saturday, using a Civil War replica muzzle-loading gun that might have belonged to the teen, the newspaper writes. Wiley then committed suicide, probably on Sunday, according to a note he left that said he wasn't going to return to prison. It indicates that Wiley and his wife argued before the murders, and that the teen may have been shot to death after his mother was killed.

Rev. Sarah Sarchet Butter, who is the pastor of First Presbyterian, said this morning that the couple met in church. She and deputy police chief Brian King said Wiley-Motes had never reported any prior incidents of domestic violence by Wiley.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/man_who_murdered_wife_in_1987_found_dead_in_apparent_murder-suicide/

ALL I have to say is......... WHAT JUSTICE SYSTEM???!!! We see this much too often. Outrageous! 1 Strike/YOU ARE OUT! FRY/ALL STATES!!!!! No waiting on death row for 15-20 years to fry. 5 years MAX...period...just to be fair, lol.
If it were my choice, they would die on the spot   

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »

agreed Nut....why get a second chance when so clearly guilty? beyond me!

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.