April 18, 2024, 09:31:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Britain is awarding an honorary knighthood to U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy.  (Read 1157 times)
Tater
Monkey Junky

« on: March 04, 2009, 12:16:35 PM »

Sen. Ted Kennedy says Britain's decision to award him an honorary knighthood is "moving and personal."

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown told Congress Wednesday that Kennedy was awarded the honor. The Massachusetts Democrat, who is battling brain cancer, did not attend Brown's address Wednesday to a Joint Meeting of Congress. He was recognized for services to U.S.-U.K. relations and to Northern Ireland.

Brown told the senator on Tuesday night that Queen Elizabeth II had made him a member of British nobility. In his speech, Brown referred to the senator as "Sir Edward Kennedy" and called him a "great friend."

Following the announcement by the British government, Kennedy released a statement saying he is "deeply grateful" for the "extraordinary honor."

"I have always prized the opportunity to work with the British government and strengthen and deepen the role of our two countries as leading beacons of democracy in the world," Kennedy said. "So for me this honor is moving and personal -- a reflection not only of my public life, but of things that profoundly matter to me as an individual."

The 77-year-old brother of President John F. Kennedy, well-known in Britain for support of the Northern Ireland peace process, is being treated for a brain tumor.

Other Americans to receive honorary knighthoods include Microsoft chief Bill Gates and filmmaker Steven Spielberg. Unlike British knights, they are not entitled to use the honorific "Sir" or "Dame" before their names.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/04/britain-ted-kennedy-honorary-knighthood/

Imagine that!!!!

Proverbs 3:5
  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
         and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.