March 28, 2024, 11:25:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Obama Doing Well in Polls, Republican Party Not So Good  (Read 1592 times)
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: March 07, 2009, 11:33:59 PM »

Amid all the gloom, Obama gets high marks in the latest NEWSWEEK poll, with the GOP in the doghouse.

Despite the tumbling economy, Barack Obama continues to enjoy a honeymoon with the American public in the face of the most trying crisis any newly inaugurated president has encountered since Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The GOP, meanwhile, is viewed by a majority of Americans as the party of "no," without a plan of its own to fix the economy, and even rank-and-file Republicans are concerned about the party's direction, according to the first NEWSWEEK Poll taken since Obama assumed office.

"People give Obama credit for reaching out to Republicans, but they don't see Republicans reciprocating," says pollster Larry Hugick, whose firm conducted the survey.

[...]

Although his approval ratings are down from levels seen a few weeks ago in other polls, 72 percent of Americans still say they have a favorable opinion of Obama—a higher rating than he received in NEWSWEEK Polls during the presidential campaign last year. The president's rating in this poll is consistent with estimates provided by other national media polls in the last week.

[...]

The biggest problem for the GOP, according to the poll, may be that 58 percent of Americans believe that Republicans who have opposed Obama's economic-rescue plans have no plan of their own for turning the economy around. With the Republicans having lost the White House and both houses of Congress, public identification with the party has dropped to a recent low point of 26 percent, after running at or near 30 percent for most of the last 15 years. That's the lowest level since the Watergate era and a striking loss of stature for the party, considering that self-described conservatives continue to outnumber liberals in the country by nearly two to one (39 percent vs. 20 percent).

[...]

More than half of Republicans today (52 percent) say they don't think GOP congressional leaders are in touch with what the average Republican thinks.

[...]

Apart from Obama himself, however, the Democratic Party can hardly crow about these results. The public's general disdain for Congress—including the Democratic leadership—hasn't changed much since the Democrats took over in 2006.

[...]

One reason for Pelosi's and Reid's low numbers is that by a large margin—51 percent to 40 percent—Americans say they value bipartisanship in Washington over getting things done quickly. And the public doesn't see Democratic congressional leaders acting in a bipartisan manner nearly as much as Obama, who is given credit for trying: 71 percent feel that the president has made a reasonable effort to work with and listen to Republicans on Capitol Hill.

SOURCE

Where does anybody think the American public's confidence will be say, a year from now or by mid-term election season?

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:02:19 PM »

I think the success of the Obama programs will be judged by prosperity or poverty in the future.  How will Americans fare under all this debt ten years from now?  How many jobs will remain after 'free trade' continues to drain our national wealth?  How many thugs will be hanging out on the street corners when they have no jobs?  jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »

I think the success of the Obama programs will be judged by prosperity or poverty in the future.  How will Americans fare under all this debt ten years from now?  How many jobs will remain after 'free trade' continues to drain our national wealth?  How many thugs will be hanging out on the street corners when they have no jobs?  jmho

I think you are absolutely right. People will judge the success or failure of any Presidential Administration by how it affects them on a personal level, especially in the pocketbook.

On the plus side for President Obama, I believe the majority of the American public does not hold him responsible for the last eight years of the Bush Administration and they do hold the Bush Administration responsible for the current economic crisis. But, that's no golden ticket for President Obama. He is expected to undo a lot of damage and restore a whole country to "the good old days" (whenever that might have been). If he doesn't reach that nearly impossible goal, it won't be pretty. Even diehard Obama fans will become disenchanted. He has to live up to almost impossible expectations. I am so glad I'm not in his shoes.

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.