April 25, 2024, 08:44:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Seen "Butterfly Effect"?  (Read 7418 times)
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« on: October 23, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »

I was riveted!

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 09:19:50 PM »

I remember reading a science fiction story many moons ago that had time travel as a plot and something like a 'butterfly effect' in it.

Is this movie anything like that?
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 09:27:24 PM »

Yup. It has to do with a young man who has gaps in his memory surrounding traumatic events in his life. He learns, quite by accident, that he can return to those times, but not in his adult body. He instead "inhabits" his younger self during these times (hence the memory blackouts) and says and does things to attempt to alter his future/present in a more favorable manner. Of course, he manages to muck it up terribly, and has to "return" several times to various situations in his childhood. This accounts for the multitude of blackouts that he experiences while growing up. It's freaky, and the ending was not what I expected (that one pizzed me off, too! LOL!).

Apparently critics panned it something awful. But I was greatly entertained by it. Guess I'm a simple soul, huh?

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 09:32:06 PM »

Probably the opposite, too intellectual.

The movie probably was too much for most folks to be intertained by.

That's one of the quandry's of the possiblity of time travel.

If you can go back in time physically how can you keep from disturbing something that then cascades into large changes in the new future.

Can you return to your previous future? Or do you go back to a changed future because of the changes?
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 09:33:42 PM »

Now that I think about it, I think there was at least one episode of one of the Star Trek series that dealt with that theme.

Probably was one of the Twilight Zones as well.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 09:54:36 PM »

In the movie, there is no return to the previous futures. And he remembers each and every one. Ya gotta see it, Car. It was on cable tv (none of the hoity toity pay out of your nose for channels but durned if I remeber which one it was).

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 09:58:40 PM »

Looks like it'll be back on FX this Saturday night, guess I'll catch it then.

Think I passed on it this Sunday because it had Ashton Cutcher in it, wasn't real sure how much of a movie it would be with him starring in it.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 06:54:54 AM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
Looks like it'll be back on FX this Saturday night, guess I'll catch it then.

Think I passed on it this Sunday because it had Ashton Cutcher in it, wasn't real sure how much of a movie it would be with him starring in it.

He did well. I was surprised.

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 02:21:34 PM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"

He did well. I was surprised.

I agree justinsmama. My husband and I were both surprised.

It's also one of those movies that you want to see again (at least I do).

Once I know the 'story' - I like to watch it again to see what clues I missed the first time. (Like the 6th Sense, or The Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind)

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
da_wench
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 06:24:17 PM »

I thought the movie was great.  I bought the DVD and it has an alternate ending that really sucks.  I think Ashton did a great job in this film.  His best yet.

I know where Avery is, but WHERE'S CAYLEE?
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 08:33:31 PM »

Quote from: "da_wench"
I thought the movie was great.  I bought the DVD and it has an alternate ending that really sucks.  I think Ashton did a great job in this film.  His best yet.

*scratching head* The ending that I saw on TV sucked. Did we see the same ending or do both endings suck?  

Sad   Confused  Wink

da_wench
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 07:41:28 PM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"

*scratching head* The ending that I saw on TV sucked. Did we see the same ending or do both endings suck?  

Sad   Confused  Wink

WARNING WARNING DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE DIRECTORS CUT AND DON'T WANT THE STUPID ENDING RUINED...LOL

In the Director's cut, he goes back all the way to the womb and chokes himself to death in utero.  He is then a stillborn.  So how's that for a sh*tty ending???

I know where Avery is, but WHERE'S CAYLEE?
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 09:29:18 PM »

WARNING WARNING DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE DIRECTORS CUT AND DON'T WANT THE STUPID ENDING RUINED...LOL

In the Director's cut, he goes back all the way to the womb and chokes himself to death in utero.  He is then a stillborn.  So how's that for a sh*tty ending???

I think they went to production with the better one Shocked

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »

Quote from: "sharon"

I think they went to production with the better one Shocked

Now that is a really stupid ending!

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 03:37:10 PM »

Was in a Meijer store last evening and bought a dvd of it. Have yet to see it, as Justin is home (Fall break) and figure there are nude scenes in it (tv cut them out, if so).

I really would like to see a follow up movie with the same characters. I believe there is a sequel, though not with the original characters? Would be good to see one where Evan's father experienced this.

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 10:35:12 PM »

OK, just watched the movie.

Wasn't really my kind of movie but hung in and watched it all.

Don't really think it involved time travel or supernatural.

Don't know what the writer/director intended, but it looked to me like all the event's were actually in his mind.

More of a multiple personality type thing, dreaming up different possible life experiences without actually having experienced them, all in his head.

Course that's my rational, KISS point of view, I'm sure the movie intended for it to be seen as a supernatural thing.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 11:04:47 PM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
OK, just watched the movie.

Wasn't really my kind of movie but hung in and watched it all.

Don't really think it involved time travel or supernatural.

Don't know what the writer/director intended, but it looked to me like all the event's were actually in his mind.

More of a multiple personality type thing, dreaming up different possible life experiences without actually having experienced them, all in his head.

Course that's my rational, KISS point of view, I'm sure the movie intended for it to be seen as a supernatural thing.

Your psych major is showing!

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 04:04:41 AM »

Is George a psych major?

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 08:07:10 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Is George a psych major?

I believe that iy was.

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 03:52:28 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Is George a psych major?

Yes, I have BA's in Psychology area of emphasis 'Tests and Measures'

and in History area of emphasis 'Medieval and Ancient'

with minors in Math and English.

I started out as a Physics major and found Psych and Hist a whole lot easier even though I made it thru Calculus I, II, III and Differential Equations.

Thoroughly enjoyed English Composition and English Literature particularly as it applied to Hist, such as Old English Medieval writtings, Chaucer, etc.

My absolute worst subject was foreign languages. Tried Spanish in High School and made D's at best, then tried German in College and made it thru with C's.

I've always maintained that I was a natural Psychologist and never really learned anything in my Psych courses other than the history of Psychology, other than that I already knew it all and just took the tests to get the grades and the degree.

I  actually started college while working full time only to get and use up my GI benefits. In order to get the full GI benefits one had to maintain a full time schedule of classes. So I worked full time and went to College full time and managed to graduate. While going to college with the GI benefits I was making more money than I did after graduation when I had to get a job fitting my education and no longer had the GI benefits.

I never considered any graduate work in Psych because early on I realized I could never make it in clinical work because I just don't get along with people.

I took some graduate classes in History but realized that I liked making money more than just enjoying academia, I was already making more money in my career than most of my PHd professors.

Call me a money grubbing materialist.

Never considered teaching as well, again because of not wanting to deal with people and the pay, although I do enjoy lecturing on what I think I know.

And as it were I had a friend who does teach graduate business classes and I was conned into being a guest lecturer on occasion about computers/computing in business. Did enjoy that.

Well, think that about covers my intellectual side.
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.