April 23, 2024, 01:48:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natalee Case Discussion #807 3/12/09 - 3/17/09am  (Read 218115 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »

Jim Mermis Interview

It might be helpful....I have company and have not gotten to read it yet....

http://webmail.aol.com/41757/aol/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.23608646&folder=NewMail&partId=6&saveAs=MarEx-19-SOI-Int.pdf

I tried Lifesong, but I can't open it.   

Thank you, Hotping!

I don't do aol - and by that I mean I won't do aol.  Is there a kind monkey out there who will bring this over?

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »

Jim Mermis Interview

http://webmail.aol.com/41757/aol/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.23608646&folder=NewMail&partId=6&saveAs=MarEx-19-SOI-Int.pdf

Thank you, Hotping!

I don't do aol - and by that I mean I won't do aol.  Is there a kind monkey out there who will bring this over?

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #322 on: March 14, 2009, 01:26:24 PM »

It appears that at least one of our prodical monkeys is no longer bowing unconditionally to Lou's justification of Kyle Kingman's own words.  Iris appears to be thinking for herself and ... challenging the status quo.

Janet

++++++

Iris 44
Re: The Cage
« Reply #65 on: Today at 12:43:23 am »

ldstlou,
I can believe that Kyle got caught up in the emotion at first, but why did he keep posting about it much later with the Freebirds?  I wonder what his intentions were at that point.  Were you communicating with him then? 

http://goldmonkey.org/index.php?topic=980.60

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #323 on: March 14, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »

This is probably a repeat, sorry if it is.  Just putting it out here while I had my fingers on it.

http://www.offshoresource.com/pdf/os_aug_06.pdf

Page 10

Tremendous Growth—
two words that summarize the year at Superior Offshore International “We aggressively attacked the subsea service market in the Gulf of Mexico and invested millions into the company’s core capabilities through new vessel acquisitions, equipment and personnel,” says Jim Mermis, president of Superior Offshore International.  Superior Offshore International provides commercial diving, subsea construction, inspection, maintenance and repair services to the offshore oil and gas industry. Through its specialized fleet and experienced offshore personnel, Superior Offshore provides a broad array of air diving, mixed gas diving and saturation diving services at depths up to 1,000 FSW.  The most evident and possibly the most impressive indication of Superior Offshore’s meteoric growth is reflected in the company’s marine division. Prior to 2005, Superior Offshore’s fleet consisted of the Superior Endeavour, a 265 ft. DPII saturation diving support vessel, or DSV, and one four-point DSV, the Gulf Diver III. In less than a year’s time, Superior Offshore now operates eight vessels, three DPII saturation DSV’s, four 4-point DSV’s, and one utility service vessel, or USV.  “In the subsea service industry, expanding your fleet from two to eight in less than 12 months time is unprecedented,” says Duke Miller, sales manager for Superior Offshore International. “This company responded to the incredible demand for commercial diving services and subsea construction created by the last year’s hurricane season and quickly expanded our resources to service our existing clients and provide solutions for new ones.”  Superior Offshore International’s offshore personnel grew by 300% with a heavy emphasis placed on recruiting some of the best commercial divers in the world and the most experienced project managers in the industry. “Experience is a definite commodity of this company,” says Charles Zamora, operations manager for Superior Offshore International. “With our rapid growth, it was imperative to find experienced professionals who could step in from day one, and spearhead a project turnkey.”  For Superior Offshore, the search for experienced personnel continues onshore. In July of 2006, Superior Offshore International announced the purchase of two new Perry Slingsby Triton-XLS 150 HP ROVs scheduled to begin operations early 2007. “The future of the offshore oil and gas industry is in deep water,” exclaims Mermis, “and through these ROV acquisitions, this company is again extending our offshore capabilities.” The heavy duty work class ROVs extend the company’s work depth to just under 10,000 FSW. By packaging the company’s specialized vessel fleet with both our diving and ROV services, Superior Offshore’s clients will enjoy a full-spectrum of onsite options to complete challenging projects safely and in a cost-effective manner.  “The goal is to offer solutions to our clients, not excuses,” says Mermis.  “Superior Offshore International prides itself on our project management skills that begin from the first project discussion with the client to the execution onsite by our offshore personnel.”  In hindsight, the 2005-2006 company timeframe can also be summarized with only one word- success. “We welcome our clients to explore our new capabilities,” says Mermis. “With our new vessels, equipment, personnel and our developing ROV division, Superior Offshore International has, and will continue to commit to serving offshore energy industry worldwide.”
Superior Offshore International operates its four main divisions of diving services,
construction/fabrication, marine, and navigational aids from its corporate headquarters
in Lafayette, LA and support facilities strategically located throughout Louisiana and
Texas.  For more information, please visit www.superioroffshore.com.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #324 on: March 14, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »

Why did Kyle say the FBI was uninvited if there was "someone from Quantico" on board.  This seems a revision of his previous statement.  Quantico is a Marine base adjacent to Washington, D.C.  The FBI Academy is located there, firing ranges and some of the forensic labs.  I doubt agents are dispatched from that location.  Headquarters or field offices would seem more likely.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »

Jim Mermis Interview

Thank you, Hotping!

Me, either.  It wants me to log in, etc.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #326 on: March 14, 2009, 01:52:07 PM »

Jim Mermis Interview

Thank you, Hotping!

Me, either.  It wants me to log in, etc.

I logged in, still couldn't view it.   

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #327 on: March 14, 2009, 01:56:17 PM »

Part of ldstlou's post at GM.  My thoughts in red:

Kyle told me that if there had been evidence in the cage that was related to Natalee, then Dateline would not have been able to show the footage because it would have been evidence in an ongoing investigation. When the divers came up after the Dec 30th dive with the thumbs down sign, there was an agent from Quantico on the boat. Someone from Dateline had asked the agent if there was any evidence related to Natalee and the Quantico agent then told him no which gave Dateline legally, the right to use the footage in their show. So it was the Quantico agent who said there was no evidence in the cage related to Natalee. If there had been evidence related to Natalee's case, Dateline would NOT have been able to show it. (Really?? the Quantico agent could tell right away WITHOUT TESTING that nothing in the cage pertained to Natalee or Joran?  BS, pure BS and you can't possibly believe this))

Next Kyle told me, that indeed Schaefer had planned on doing a documentary on the search. When they found out that Dateline was going to air the footage before they had a chance to sell their documentary, they contacted the FBI to try and get it stopped. I believe that the FBI then called Dateline and said they could not show all of the footage of the dive. This is my understanding of what happened after talking to Kyle. ((Again, I call BS.  Dateline was part of the search from the very beginning starting with shots taken at the dock in LA.  You trying to tell me that Dateline pulled a fast one on all of them?))

I just am not one who believes in a conspiracy theory or any wrong doing in Schaefer wanting to do a documentary of the search for Natalee. They were usurped by Dateline who originally was doing a show on Tim and TES, but who changed the theme of their show to the Persistence and the search before they had a buyer for their own documentary. I also don't believe Schaefer would have made a "lot of money" on the documentary, I believe he was trying to recoup some of the money he had put into the search.

Logic dictates, that IF they had found Natalee in the cage, THEN they certainly would have made a lot of money selling the footage. What is the point in hiding the fact that they found Natalee...there is none!!!  ((There is no logic dictating what you post, only emotion))

I'll likely have more to say after I wake up 

I only made it to the second sentence.

Kyle Kingman:  "I have not given anything to the FBI since the pictures and statements from Dec 29th.

Kyle said the Arubans uninvited the FBI so who is this newly added mystery Quantico Agent?  A Marine? 

I don't believe anyone would make the sweeping judgment of nothing in the trap without testing the evidence first.  And if this unlikely judgment was made, why would they even bother to dive on the trap?  I am pretty sure they have all seen hermit crabs before.  Or plastic bags. 

No one would know what was in the trap until samples were taken and it was tested.  Hard to believe any FBI agent would be so goofy acting.

In fact, I don't believe it for one minute and Kyle already said the FBI was not invited and so could not participate.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #328 on: March 14, 2009, 01:59:14 PM »

It appears that at least one of our prodigal monkeys is no longer bowing unconditionally to Lou's justification of Kyle Kingman's own words.  Iris appears to be thinking for herself and ... challenging the status quo.

Janet

++++++

Iris 44

ldstlou,
I can believe that Kyle got caught up in the emotion at first, but why did he keep posting about it much later with the Freebirds?  I wonder what his intentions were at that point.  Were you communicating with him then? 

Did Iris submit a complete resume and curriculum vitae?  I thought that was required to post there.  Or is it only the personal information of others that is sought?

PERSONA NON GRATA

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #329 on: March 14, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »

Why did Kyle say the FBI was uninvited if there was "someone from Quantico" on board.  This seems a revision of his previous statement.  Quantico is a Marine base adjacent to Washington, D.C.  The FBI Academy is located there, firing ranges and some of the forensic labs.  I doubt agents are dispatched from that location.  Headquarters or field offices would seem more likely.

International training exercise, or practicum? 

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/td/academy/itp/itp.htm

I agree with you, and would not expect a student to be sent without a supervisor to evaluate, just from my educational experience. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #330 on: March 14, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »

I logged in to my aol account and tried to read for you but this is the message I got.

Attachment Error
The selected attachment could not be retrieved because the containing message has been deleted or moved.

Try Again

Help and Troubleshooting | Help Pages | AOL.com

The Technical Stuff:
Error Code: C0FE1A00
Report ID: 30314-webmail-20090314-180840

Just a swinging with the tribe
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #331 on: March 14, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »

It appears that at least one of our prodical monkeys is no longer bowing unconditionally to Lou's justification of Kyle Kingman's own words.  Iris appears to be thinking for herself and ... challenging the status quo.

Janet

++++++

Iris 44

ldstlou,

Iris is an analyst.  That's what she does.  I believe I read her stating this several times. 

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #332 on: March 14, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »

Part of ldstlou's post at GM.  My thoughts in red:

Kyle told me that if there had been evidence in the cage that was related to Natalee, then Dateline would not have been able to show the footage because it would have been evidence in an ongoing investigation. When the divers came up after the Dec 30th dive with the thumbs down sign, there was an agent from Quantico on the boat. Someone from Dateline had asked the agent if there was any evidence related to Natalee and the Quantico agent then told him no which gave Dateline legally, the right to use the footage in their show. So it was the Quantico agent who said there was no evidence in the cage related to Natalee. If there had been evidence related to Natalee's case, Dateline would NOT have been able to show it.

(Really?? the Quantico agent could tell right away WITHOUT TESTING that nothing in the cage pertained to Natalee or Joran?  BS, pure BS and you can't possibly believe this))

<snipped>

In Kyle Kingman's own words he never once implied there was a Quantico agent on board during December 30, 2007 visual dive.

Nevertheless ... as no samples of the trap were recovered at that time  and ... diver Tim Trahan could not conclusively determine the contents ... a Quantico agent would only been able to confirm what the Aruban divers reported ... Aruban divers who were beholding to Rudy Croes ... Rudy Croes who has been behind the coverup that had prevented justice from prevailing since the getgo.

Janet

+++++

DECEMBER 30, 2007 - VISUAL INSPECTION

Kyle Kingman: What you can't see is immediately before Tim approached the trap opening, a large skate stirred up sediment reducing visibility. The quick signal came because the dive time was nearly up.

Kyle Kingman: The famous "thumbs down" - Tim Trahan said he could not conclusively see human skeletal remains. The signals were: One thumb up for skeletal remains (body), two thumbs up for Natalee. When Tim came out of the water as seen on camera in the Dateline special, he was winded from the dive and gave a short answer of "No, nothing". He (along with many of us) were expecting something very clear and immediately identifiable …

Kyle Kingman:  The Arubans told us there wasn't anything of interest in the trap based on the visual-only inspection (Dateline and Tim Miller present).

Kyle Kingman:  Later that day 30-Dec we conducted the dive with the Aruban divers along with our own Tim Trahan. We discussed ahead of time 1 thumb up means positively human remains, 2 thumbs up... something conclusively identifying Natalee. When Tim T. gives one thumb down, he said that it was inconclusive. He couldn't tell by his own admission.

Kyle Kingman:  We had an American diver with us on the Dec 30th dive. We were encouraged to do so and invited by the Arubans. I requested all samples to be brought on board the Persistence for visual and top-side photographs. It was ignored by the project lead (John S.) who felt the Arubans would follow whatever they needed to do as far as proper protocol.

Kyle Kingman:  On the night of the 30th (I believe this was Tim's last night on the Persistence) I approached Tim and proposed some ideas to him. I suggested that we shouldn't take the Aruban Polis divers at their word and proceed with planning a recovery of the trap.  Also, I proposed the trap site may not be pristine or the Polis may have already knew about it. This statement was backed up by several comments we heard, behavior we observed, and other things. Tim told me he thought I was right but didn't know what to do about it.

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #333 on: March 14, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »

I logged in to my aol account and tried to read for you but this is the message I got.

Attachment Error
The selected attachment could not be retrieved because the containing message has been deleted or moved.

Try Again

The Technical Stuff:

Thanks, Sam.   Maybe Hotping can fill us in, later. 

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Lifesong
Monkey Junky

« Reply #334 on: March 14, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »

Thanks, Janet!  It'll get better, I hope.  Right now I think we're still in the throw it all upgainst the wall and see what sticks phase.

Speaking of which, I sat down to read the timeline this evening.  I got to Jan. 7th (which is about as far as I usually get) when I had a thought....I wonder what the effects of saltwater on denim are?  Rule in or out the possibility of denim remaining that pliable and unfaded and we're one step closer...

So, I set out to find out.  I now know the difference between the fabrics in a stretch denim skirt and a denim skirt, I've learned about the properties of spandex, and I could describe how PBT, polybutylene terephthalate, a component of spandex is resistant to salt water, and that most stretch denim skirts that I can find contain approx. 1% to 2% spandex.

I cannot tell you how much PBT is in spandex, nor what % of PBT would be required to protect the denim.

SM has a fashion thread.  Monkeys who post on this thread have an indepth knowledge of fabrics.  Maybe they could help you.

Janet

++++++

Fashion and Decorating

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?board=43.0

Tamikosmom - I just wanted to say Thank You for the link to the fashion thread.  I've posted my questions there, http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=4300.msg719829#msg719829

Hopefully someone will know more.  Will post it here if anything interesting comes of it.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."  - Galileo
Lifesong
Monkey Junky

« Reply #335 on: March 14, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »

Attachment Error

Try Again

The Technical Stuff:

Thanks, Sam.   Maybe Hotping can fill us in, later. 

Thanks to everyone for trying!  Much appreciated!

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."  - Galileo
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2009, 02:31:04 PM »

Janet

++++++

Iris 44

ldstlou,

Iris is an analyst.  That's what she does.  I believe I read her stating this several times. 

At one time Iris was attempting to dismiss Kyle Kingman's own words by  equating them to the imagination of a 14 year old boy.

However ... Iris failed to comprehend that Kyle Kingman is an adult.  is a university graduate.  Kyle has a professional career in oceanography.  Kyle is a husband.  Kyle Kingman is a father.  Kyle held a professional position on board the Persistence ... a position that encompassed his expertise of operating ROVs and analysing the resulting images.  In the summer of 2008 ... Kyle's expertise afforded him positions on oil mapping projects in Norway and Egypt compliments of John Silvetti.   IMO ... above all ... Kyle is a professing Christian.  He has a foundation in the lie and truth ... the wrong and the right.

Janet

++++++

iris44
Re: Natalee Case Discussion #791 1/6/09 -
« Reply #487 on: January 08, 2009, 05:58:05 AM »

If all this Persistence/Kyle conspiracy theory stuff is the real deal, why is the family, the media, etc. not jumping all over it? The more I read all Kyle's "statements" the more he reminds of when my son was 14 and had his own website. I think Kyle the ocean exploring geek has a little make believe world going on, and you're all going along for the ride. …

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=4351.msg617328#msg617328

The Search for Natalee Holloway
Monday, November 26, 2007

I. Mobilization
Key Personnel:

Louis Shaffer - Project Lead and Key Contributor - Responsible for financial support, planning, public relations, and press coordination.

Tim Miller - Texas Equusearch http://www.texasequusearch.org/ - Project Management, gathering support, missing persons specialist

Tim Trahan - Underwater Expeditions - Project Management

John Silvetti - Project Lead and Key Contributor- Responsible for overall project planning and development. Owner of Marine Surveys, LLC . Donated the R/V Persistence for the search effort.
http://silvettigroup.com/

Marc Broussard - Project Manager - Responsible for logistics, personnel, and planning.

Kent Bourg- Party Chief - Responsible for the R/V Persistence operations and safety. Kent will also operate the side scan sonar.

Kyle Kingman - Field Project Manager, Geophysical Engineer and Marine Geologist - Responsible for side scan sonar acquisition, digital processing, analysis, and target identification. Kyle will assist in side scan sonar operation and guide the ROV (remotely operated vehicle) team to each sonar target.

Dr. Rob Floyd - Marine Geologist /Archaeologist - Responsible for analog sonar data interpretation and analysis and quality control.
Anthony Fontenot - Acoustic Positioning Technician - Responsible for navigation, acoustic tracking, and positioning of the side scan sonar and ROV.

Posted by Kyle Kingman

http://jlbworld.com/files/chapter23/sitedevotedtoseasearch.htm
http://nholloway.blogspot.com/2007/11/mobilization.html

Kyle Kingman
Geophysicist and Marine Geologist
Greater New York City Area

Current Manager at Kingman Geophysical Solutions
Past Manager at Kingman Geophysical Solutions
Education Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-New Brunswick

Kyle Kingman’s Summary
Kyle Kingman’s Specialties:
Project Management, Sonar Acquisition, hydrographic survey, data processing, remote sensing data analysis

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/b/65/464

_____

Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #337 on: March 14, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »

I agree with you, and would not expect a student to be sent without a supervisor to evaluate, just from my educational experience. 

I find it interesting that she always refers to an "agent from Quantico".....never an FBI agent.
Didn't several of the Aruban police force take some training at Quantico?

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
hotping
Monkey Junky

All Prayers Will Be Answered in Time!

« Reply #338 on: March 14, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »

OK...Here's the Jim Mermis interview... My Son got it where I could copy and paste....

April 2007 Maritime Executive

Executive interview: Jim Mermis
By Joseph Keefe

CEO of Superior Offshore International, Inc.

The past Two years at Superior Offshore have brought enormous
changes, exponential growth and the formulation of a grand master plan, which promises to launch this firm into the forefront of
the international, deepwater-construction business. Superior is not
yet the biggest of the offshore service providers, but it has long been
recognized for qualities that are arguably far more important: an
uncompromising commitment to corporate safety and core competencies honed though years of practice. The best may be yet to
come. The second quarter of 2007 will bring the long-awaited IPO
which will soon provide the launching pad from which Superior
Offshore International will dive into the next big thing: the international, offshore subsea markets. A debt-free, asset-rich and supremely competent Superior Offshore will make its new debut this year.
And the market is sitting up and taking notice. In our Q&A with
Jim Mermis, President and CEO of Superior Offshore, he talks
about where Superior has been and more importantly, where it is
going. Join us as we explore the company’s exciting story.

34 The MariTiMe execuTive

I enrolled in Tulane University in their
executive MBA program. So, I spent

MarEx: Superior’s roots are
firmly planted in the business
of diving. The company is more
than that now—much more
than that. I think it would be
useful for our readers to see
where the firm has been, before
we talk about where it is going.
Can you give us a brief history of
your diverse firm?

JM: Louis Schaefer, our founder,
has been in the diving business
since the early 1970s. It’s been

18 months of my working life working
14 hours a day and going to school
at the same time to get an executive
MBA. So, I guess, realistically, I’m one
of the guys who started out at the top,
jumped in the water, went to the bottom and finally came back to the top

again.

what projects we’re going after
and how we’re going to move
ahead with all of that.

MarEx: So, it’s now a five–man,
executive committee, once the
COO is on board?

JM: Yes, and after we go public,
we’ll have a five-man, independent
board of directors, all of whom
have various backgrounds and
expertise. James Persky will head
the financial audit committee.
Eric Smith came from Saipan and

a small diving company and in fact, he didn’t have vessels
for most of that time. I started with the company since
2005 and I’ve been here almost two years. Louis had one
four-point boat when I started and he’d taken a dynamically–positioned, saturation-support dive vessel named
the Mansel 18 on a spot-charter basis. That was right after
Hurricane Ivan. I came in somewhere in the middle, in
between Ivan and Katrina. So, when I came on board, I
had a little more international and deepwater background
than Louis. I brought some people with me and obviously
after Katrina, that’s when our real growth started.

MarEx: Let me follow up with that. You are a privately-
held firm and the internal workings of your firm are
largely proprietary in nature. At least they are, right now.
But MarEx readers are going to want to get a sense of how
your organizational chart looks and the executive makeup
of the firm in particular. Louis Schaefer is the founder of
the company and chairman of the board. You’re the CEO.
Can you give us a feel for how you run the company on an
executive basis?

JM: Sure. While Louis hasn’t exactly taken a step back, he
has let me take the reigns and run the company on a day-today basis. He’s also let me take the company and steer it in
the direction that we’re headed. And, we’re headed into the
international, and more importantly, the deepwater markets.
I talk to Louis at least once a day—maybe twice—but the
day-to-day business myself and the management committee
pretty much run the show. Any major decision that might
affect the company economically or operationally, then we’ll
bring Louis in and make a group decision and move ahead.

MarEx: When you say “the management committee,” what
are we talking about?

JM: Essentially, the management committee is made
up of myself, Roger Burks, our CFO, Joshua Koch, and
of course, Louis. We just recently hired a COO, Petrice
Chemin—I’ve known him for years and he’s got thirty
years in the business, primarily with Stolt Comex Seaway.
Beyond that, we’ve got our individual department managers: operations manager, diving manager, our ROV manager. But it is the executive management committee who
steers the company and decides the direction we’re going,

McDermott and is currently teaching at Tulane University.
We’ve got Leon Cordon who’s already on the board of the
Singapore Oil Company. Tommy Coleman will also join our
board—he’s the head of a large tanker terminal company.

MarEx: Let’s focus on you for a minute. Nobody likes to
blow their own horn but the readers and, I am sure, your
future investors are going to know what skill package is
going to be running Superior Offshore. What makes you
well suited to run the firm and take it to the next level?

JM: I actually started out as a diver in 1975 with Subsea
International. And I worked my way up through the ranks
and eventually transitioned offshore and became offshore
operations manager. When Global Industries purchased
Subsea, I wanted to learn about the deepwater business
so I went to work for Stolt Comex Seaway as operations
manager. And then during my tenure with them I was a
senior project manager and actually ran deepwater and
international projects for them as well as operations.
Shortly thereafter, I went to Torch Offshore. Torch wanted
to get into the deepwater markets and they essentially
hired me to run their new-build vessels. At that point, the
market went south and Torch chose not to go public. So
I did deepwater business development for Torch for three
years. Eventually, Torch did go public and I think everyone
knows the story. They didn’t make it and went bankrupt.
Somewhere along in the middle of all that, in 2000,
I enrolled in Tulane University in their executive MBA program. So, I spent 18 months of my working life working 14
hours a day and going to school at the same time to get an
executive MBA. So, I guess, realistically, I’m one of the guys
who started out at the top, jumped in the water, went to
the bottom and finally came back to the top again.

MarEx: You’ve managed at a publicly-traded firm before.
So, tell us how you think things are going to change once
you’ve gotten past the IPO, not only in terms of your
management style, but also in the actual decision-making
process. A privately-held firm can sometimes be nimble and quick, while a publicly-traded company has to
answer to many masters. What will change and what will
stay the same?

JM: Well, we are going to be responsible to our sharehold

marexmarexmarex
The MariTiMe execuTive 35

Executive interview: Jim Mermismarexmarexmarexers up to a point. Major deci-
sions, of course, will have to be
run past our board of direc-
tors. I think that the day-to-
day business and the growth
opportunities that we have,
we’ll be able to do that just as
we do now. What is impor-
tant to us is that we have made
the big capital commitment
of the Superior Achiever, our
deepwater-construction vessel.
So, through our capital expen-
Helix owns. Caldive doesn’t. We
also supply deepwater assets in a
deepwater capacity. Helix owns
assets; Caldive doesn’t. What
really works for us, though, in
our entry into deepwater, is that
deepwater-construction contrac-
tors and even the E&V companies
do not look at us as competition.
In some manner, the deepwater-
construction guys look at Caldive
as competition because they’re
70% owned by Helix—the guy
…everyone wants to compare us to
Caldive; whereas Caldive really isn’t
comparable to us. We supply diving
services; so do they. We supply diving
services internationally; so do they.
But, we supply deepwater-construc-
tion services through an ROV compa-
ny, through the ROV’s we own and that
Helix owns. Caldive doesn’t.
diture plan—our strategic plan—we don’t have to come
up with any other major capital expenditures in way of
vessels or acquisitions. We’ve aligned ourselves with different contractors within the industry. We’ve put together
cooperative agreements, we continually take on third-party
vessels, and essentially what that amounts to is that it gives
us equipment to operate within the industry that we don’t
necessarily own and that we don’t necessarily have a long-
term commitment in. We’ll do this through short-term
vessel charters, cooperation agreements and I’m trying to
put into place basically in a low-risk basis. You can think
of it as a joint venture. We each enter the business together.
If the barge is not working, I don’t have to pay for it. If my
equipment isn’t working, the other contractor is not being
paid, so we both have a vested interest to make sure the
asset goes to work. If we don’t go to work, neither one of
us gets paid.

MarEx: You’ve got to sell yourself. Everyone of us has to sell
ourselves every day. What’s the number one thing you are
going to have to sell to the investors on the day that you
go public?

JM: It’s probably not what you want to put in the magazine. But, we have to differentiate ourselves from the competition.

MarEx: Well, that was another question on my list, but let’s
combine the two into one answer then.

JM: Well, you have to look at us and the services we offer.
We’ve expanded our core services in the Gulf of Mexico
and we’ve gone from 60 divers to 665 people offshore.
We’ve identified the fact that in the Gulf of Mexico, while
there’s still plenty of work for everyone for the next five
years, we’re not going to put all our eggs in one basket.
We’ve identified that in order for us to grow, we’re going to
have to enter the international markets, but more importantly, the deepwater markets. So, the real driving picture
for us and where we get our multiples from is that everyone wants to compare us to Caldive; whereas Caldive really
isn’t comparable to us. We supply diving services; so do
they. We supply diving services internationally; so do they.
But, we supply deepwater-construction services through
an ROV company, through the ROV’s we own and that

that’s bidding on the same contracts that they’re bidding
on. I think Helix’s entry into the production business is
starting to be looked upon by the majors—and maybe
even some independents—as a competitor or competitive
business. The key for us and our entry into the deepwater-
construction business is that fact that we can work for the
deepwater-construction contractors. Helix is getting in
their bids. We don’t want to be competition to the deepwater-construction contractors. We want to supplement what
they do. Consequently, I’m going to get five or six bids
from those contractors to provide ROV’s, divers or even
the Superior Achiever in support of the deepwater projects
that they are pursuing.

MarEx: When I talked to Louis Schaefer, he alluded to all
of this, especially in terms of Caldive and their parent company. But, you mentioned another part of the equation.

JM: One of the other things that separates us from the
competition is that we’ve experienced this tremendous
growth within the last couple of years. If you look at our
key people—project managers, executive team, offshore
superintendents and supervisors, and even the divers—
very few of those people have worked here for more than
two years. But, you take a look at the rest of the people
that we have, and they have fifteen, twenty years experience—not at Superior, but instead, at Caldive, Global,
Stolt, everywhere throughout the industry. So, what that’s
allowed us to do is to bring on those individuals on board
with all these years of experience. We’ve taken all these
combined “best practices” from wherever they’ve worked
previously, put them on the table, and essentially we’ve cut
and snipped at these practices and made them our own.
At the end of the day, we’ve got a combination of the best
practices of all the different companies that we compete
against. Because of this, and with the deep experience of
our people, I think that we can give a better product to our
clients.

MarEx: Okay. Well, that wasn’t really where I was headed
with that question, but let’s shift gears and ask a similar
question. I had a terrific talk with Louis Schaefer a couple
of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. But, Louis calls Superior
Offshore the industry’s “leader in safety.” He talked about

36 The MariTiMe execuTive

And what’s really significant for us is
the fact that we’ve gone from 60 personnel to over 660 working offshore in

his early passion with safety and
how one of the things he realized
early on was that he would not
do a job if he couldn’t do it safely.
And if he had to cut back on
production, then he would favor
safety over operational efficiencies. Can you expand a little bit
on that?

JM: Sure. Safety goes hand in
hand with success in this business. You’re not going to be an
unsafe company and continue

just a couple of years. Our total recordable incident rate in 2005, spanning
546,000 man-hours offshore, was
a 1.46. In 2006 we had 1,118,000
man-hours working offshore and our
total recordable incident rate actually
dropped to a 1.07.

you take a look at Subtech, and
what they bring to the mix is 260
South-African and European
divers that work to a different
standard, an international standard. Realistically, they work to
the standard that we are going
to have to attain, in order to
do international work—to do
deepwater-construction work. So,
Subtech is kind of a shift in our
mentality. They’ve brought a lot
of policies and procedures and

marexmarexmarex
to have the kind of opportunities that Superior has. If you
start to take a look at some of our clients—the Shells, the
Chevrons, and the BPs, the big players in this world—
those majors have higher safety standards than anyone
else in the industry. Consequently, we not only meet
those standards but we far surpass the standards that they
require. And what’s really significant for us is the fact that
we’ve gone from 60 personnel to over 660 working offshore in just a couple of years. Our total recordable incident rate in 2005, spanning 546,000 man-hours offshore,
was a 1.46. In 2006 we had 1,118,000 man-hours working
offshore and our total recordable incident rate actually
dropped to a 1.07.
(Editor’s note: OSHA defines the Total Incident Rate as
a mathematical calculation that describes the number of
recordable incidents that a company experiences per 100
full-time employees in any given time frame.)

MarEx: Just so I get it right and our readers understand,
what exactly does a 1.07 mean?

JM: It’s an OSHA formula and here’s how it works. First of
all, the OSHA standard says that you have to have a total
recordable incident rate of less than 2.0. Look, we’re committed to safety, our numbers prove that and because we’re
a safe company, this allows us to go to work for the BPs
and the Chevrons of the world.

MarEx: You’ve recently announced that you’ve acquired
another diving company, Subtech Diving and Marine, based
in Durban, South Africa. Obviously, you’re going to bring
some things to their portfolio and they’re hopefully going to
bring some things to yours. You’ve said previously that it is
your goal to move into the deepwater and the international
markets, globalizing the Superior brand name. Talk about
this move, the synergies you’ll create and how all of that fits
into your long and short-term strategies.

JM: You know, interestingly enough, if you look at the
companies we work for—the majors, the independents,
the subsea-construction companies in the Gulf of Mexico—we’ve taken our core business of diving and we’ve
parlayed that into ROV’s, deepwater assets. This has given
us the opportunity to work not only for these clients, but
also to get into the international, deepwater markets. Then,

key individuals that have allowed us to make the transition
from where we are now at, to where we are now going.
They’ve got a kind of European mentality—they’re more
policy and procedure driven. They operate just a little bit
differently than we did before we picked them up. Subtech
also has offices in the Middle East and in Africa, so they
bring a client base to the mix, as well.

MarEx: You bought them. What do you bring to the table?
Would it be fair to say that you brought the assets and
financial wherewithal to help them expand on what they
already do well?

JM: You hit the nail right on the head.
MarEx: Talk about the European standard of diving operations that you’ve alluded to. It sounds like Louis has been
running a pretty tight ship here no matter what standard
you’re adhering to now. But, the European standard seems
to be a different one. Let’s talk about it.

JM: Well, first of all, it’s a different mentality. The European standard pretty much sticks with deepwater projects.
We’re already supplying divers to the world’s biggest, semi-
submersible DP derrick barge and I think the day rate on
that project is somewhere around $800,000 a day. When
you are dealing with an asset that costs $800,000 per day,
you definitely want all the “i’s” dotted and the “t’s” crossed.
Everything is based in risk assessment—and every step in
a project is planned. Historically, in the Gulf of Mexico,
you had a plan, but you jumped in the water, did the work,
and away you go. The European standard incorporates far
more planning, far more engineering and this better fits
the high-dollar projects that we’re striving to do.

MarEx: You are already starting to integrate this into your
standard operating procedures, yes?

JM: That’s correct. Our in-house training facilities train
all of our new people who come on board. Right now, if
you come on board at Superior as an offshore superintendent or an offshore supervisor of any sort, the odds are
pretty good that if we don’t know you, then you’ll be sent
out onto one of our vessels to work alongside one of our
Superior employees who knows how we operate. And, he’s
going to watch you operate before you get the green light
go ahead and run that boat or job on your own. We do

The MariTiMe execuTive 37

marexmarexmarex
this at our own cost, but once
again, you look at the number
of people and jobs that we have
going on, and the practice pays
for itself over the long haul.
Depending on the individual,
this side-by-side redundant
training can go on for as long
as a month and no less than
two weeks.

MarEx: Let’s talk about your
hurricane response work.
Katrina was, and probably still

A structure may be laying on its side
and although the storm cap has been
checked, it’s still a live well. So, for

as the future of Superior Offshore

five years, we’re going to clean up the International. Now, that’s big talk
for a firm that has three other

junk and after that, let’s say we only thriving divisions. Tell us why the

take one-quarter of the wells and put deepwater division is so impor

tant to you and also let the readers them back into production, then the know how you intend to make the

Superior Achiever the workhorse

Achiever is the kind of boat that can for this goal.

JM: The future of the industry

do that. She’s designed for modular is in deepwater. If you remem

construction.

is, a large portion of your work. Louis Schaefer has said that
it was Ivan that put you on the map and that event was
how and when you realized the full power and capabilities
of the firm. He also outlined for me the operational readiness that allowed Superior to respond during Katrina, where
perhaps, others couldn’t. So, you are very well known for
this. But, what’s going to be the next big thing that Superior
is going to be known for, beyond your obvious competence
in your core businesses?

JM: You know, I’ll tell you, we recently had a fatality—a
devastating event for us and for our people. Superior had
never had a fatality in its forty-year history. But we have
done in response is pretty much unheard of in the United
States and the industry. We studied that fatality, spent a
lot of time and money to determine just what happened.
The Coast Guard has investigated; Vanuatu, the flag state,
has investigated. We’re still waiting for the Vanuatu and
the Coast Guard report. But what we’ve done is to step up
within the industry and have made what we know about
that fatality public knowledge. We have gone to our clients,
we’ve gone to our employees, and we’ve said: this is what’s
happened, this is why it happened and this is going to be
what we’re going to do to make sure that it never happens
again. We would never try to turn a fatality into something
that eventually will translate into an economic positive, but
this fatality could have had a tremendous negative impact
on the company and possibly prevented us from moving ahead with the IPO. So, what I think what Superior is
going to be known for is that we’re a “black-and-white”
company; we put things on the line, we tell you like it is,
we don’t sugarcoat anything. We tell you the truth and if
that’s boring, then that’s what it is.

MarEx: Where would you say your best overseas opportunities exist in the near-term future?

JM: As I’ve already said, the opportunity for us is to build
on the relationships that we already have. Realistically,
we’re looking at Mexico, South America, Africa and the
Middle East are where we’re going to try to concentrate on.
We already have relationships in those regions and we have
people that work for us that have contacts in those areas.

MarEx:The Superior Achiever is described on your Web site

ber before Hurricane Ivan and

some in the industry call it “St.
Ivan” because it revived and literally saved the industry.
Before Ivan, everyone was headed for deepwater within
the Gulf of Mexico and out of the Gulf into Deepwater,
internationally. The work in the Gulf of Mexico—there’s
still plenty of it, but the future of the industry is in deepwater. That’s because deepwater has barely been touched.
We have two opportunities with the Achiever: we can
go to work for the deepwater-construction contractors.
What makes the Achiever an extremely desirable vessel is
that within the niche that she’s designed for, she can do
anything, anywhere in the world. We’re not going to go
out there and reel off 10,000 feet of 10” diameter pipe in
10,000 feet of water but what we are going to do is go out
there and support the deepwater contractor that’s reeling
off that pipe. We’re going to be able to do the subsea tie-
ins; we’re going to be able to do the infrastructure more
quickly and a lot cheaper than they can. The other opportunity for the Achiever is that we’ll put it into deepwater,
where there are 113 toppled platforms in the Gulf of Mexico, in anywhere from 700’ of water all the way to shallow
water. If you look at the toppled structures, it translates
into probably 2,000 wells that have been toppled, as well. A
structure may be laying on its side and although the storm
cap has been checked, it’s still a live well. So, for five years,
we’re going to clean up the junk and after that, let’s say we
only take one-quarter of the wells and put them back into
production, then the Achiever is the kind of boat that can
do that. She’s designed for modular construction. She can
reel off four, six-inch diameter pipes in 1,800 feet per hour.
That’s 500 tie-backs. You’ve got that work to look at, you’ve
got the work in support of the deepwater contractors, but
she’s also been designed with equipment that will allow her
to construct her own SAV system on deck with four lifts of
the crane. And that’s using her own crane. So, we can sail
for Africa and have our SAV system on deck and we can do
shallow-water support work. If the opportunity comes to
support the deepwater contractors, then we take our crane
and we lift the modular system off the deck in four lifts.
So, while I say that the future is deepwater, we also have no
intention of relinquishing any of our shallow-water work
or anything else we’ve always done. But, at the end of the

38 The MariTiMe execuTive

PMI MITAGS
The Leaders in Simulation Training
“Of all the initiatives I got involved with in Bermuda, the MITAGS (simulator)

database and relationship has to be the most satisfying.”
Barry Coupland, Former Director of Bermuda
Marine and Port Services

MITAGS
ACADEMICBUILD NGS
CONFERENCE
CENTER
RES DENCE
2 1
L o A
o B L o C
L o D
MITAGS
Linthicum, MD
PMI
Seattle, WA
MITAGS PMI
692 Maritime Boulevard 1729 Alaskan Way South
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090 Seattle, WA 98134
Toll Free: (866) 656-5568 Toll Free: (888) 893-7829
www.mitags.org www.mates.org

Marine Pollution
Liability Insurance
Boat/Ship Yards
Cargo Owners
Vessels
Marinas
Visit www.wqis.com
for complete list
marexmarexmarex…rather than wait for two years for our own
new build, there’s going to be an oppor-
tunity to pick up on somebody else’s new
build who doesn’t necessarily have the
wherewithal to continue to operate. And
here’s the other thing: you can build new
vessels all day long but there’s a limited
supply of qualified personnel to operate
these boats.
Is your marine pollution
insurance with WQIS?
36 years of experience.
$51 billion in backing.
True passion for the sea.
212 292 8700
www.wqis.com
www.insulationsei.com 1-800-BUY-SEI-1
SEI is the World Leader
in manufacturing removable/reusable insulation
Temp-Set® Covers for the offshore and marine industry.
Superior Energies Inc.
Removable / Reusable Insulation
Blanket Manufacturer
Insulation Specialists
• Thermal
• Acoustical
• Fireproofing
• Freeze Protection
Introducing Fire-Temp®
Cover for fuel valves and
actuators.
For superior quality & service,
day, I think deepwater is going to hold a lot more opportunities for us. There is less competition and certainly, the
margins are higher.

MarEx: The Achiever is going to be ready when?
JM: They started cutting steel for her in February of this
year and everything is still on track for delivery in June
of 2008.

MarEx: Okay, so here’s my next question for you. Right in
line with your deepwater mission and international aspirations, it looks to me that there’s plenty of work for the Superior
Achiever. Are you going to wait for her to come out and start
working and get committed to some long-term work, or are
you going to go ahead and start building that second vessel?

JM: Well, this might be where you hear a little different
story between what Louis (Schaefer) tells you and what I
tell you. The Superior Achiever, at $130 million, is a tremendous capital investment for us. Look around at the
industry and you’ll read about all of the vessels and capacity that are going to be delivered in 2009 and 2010. I think
that the way I see the company growing, we’ve got to shore
up and do better what we do now—we’ve got to step and
take hold in the international and deepwater markets now.
We can’t wait for the Achiever to come out. If we do that,
we can still have that growth and the ramp up without the
capital commitment or another acquisition. We’ll do this
through our alliances and cooperative agreements with the
people that we currently work with by bringing assets on
line with long-term charters. I think the key is, at least how
I see it, there’s going to be an overcapacity of construction
equipment and new-build vessels come 2010 and I think
that’s going to be an opportunity for us. And, this is where
perhaps Louis and I don’t necessarily see eye-to-eye, rather
than wait for two years for our own new build, there’s
going to be an opportunity to pick up on somebody else’s
new build who doesn’t necessarily have the wherewithal to
continue to operate. And here’s the other thing: you can
build new vessels all day long but there’s a limited supply of
qualified personnel to operate these boats.

MarEx: So, as I understand it, you’re going to continue to
charter in equipment and eventually, you’ll have your own
vessel, the Achiever, which because of modifications you’ve

The diving group provides divers, obviously,
but they also provide management for 80%
of the projects that we work on. The ROV
division will be a stand-alone division and
we in fact have a deepwater ROV boat and
we have a 150-HP, 3,000-meter ROV on the

Yens Surveyor.

made in its design, will be better than virtually everything else
out there. Then, you’ll charter in at a cheap rate and keep those
charters busy, based on your experience and contacts, and play
off the confidence that the majors have in your core competencies and experience.

JM: That’s absolutely right.
MarEx: We’ve talked a lot about where you want to go and
that appears to be deepwater and the international markets,
in particular. I understand that this year you’ll do about $340
million in business. Tell us where you see those numbers, five or
ten years down the road.

JM: Well, we certainly hope that five to ten years down the
road, we’re doing a billion dollars annually.

MarEx: Let’s talk about your legacy work – the diving aspect of
your business. What is the future of that aspect of your
business?

JM: The diving group provides divers, obviously, but they
also provide management for 80% of the projects that we
work on. The ROV division will be a stand-alone division and
we in fact have a deepwater ROV boat and we have a 150HP, 3,000-meter ROV on the Yens Surveyor. We also have a
marine department that basically manages all of our ships,
crewing, maintenance and repair, dry-docking and all of the
upgrades. And then we have the fabrication division. This
stand-alone fabrication division gives us a significant advantage with the competition. Basically, that division is able to
build diving system, saturation equipment, perform fabrication for our clients and in this way, we provide a seamless,
start-to-finish job. Doing the fabrication in house, we make
sure it is delivered on time and then the client can go into
production.

MarEx: So the fabrication division provides for “turnkey”
solutions, in conjunction with your other divisions?

JM: That’s right.
MarEx: What about the deepwater division?
JM: Well, right now, the deepwater division falls into the
ROV division. The deepwater division is something building
now for the future, starting before the end of this year. We’ll
be bringing in engineering and deepwater-project managers
so that we can fully integrate the new build and make sure
everything is structurally the way we want it to be.

MarEx: We’ll look forward to seeing your visions go forward –
Thank you for your time today.

JM: My pleasure. MarEx

In God We Trust!
Prayers Will Bring Natalee Home!
May 2010 Bring Natalee Home to Rest In Peace!
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #339 on: March 14, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »

I find it interesting that she always refers to an "agent from Quantico".....never an FBI agent.
Didn't several of the Aruban police force take some training at Quantico?

Yes, including Dompig IIRC. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.