April 27, 2024, 10:39:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MARCH MADNESS BRACKETS  (Read 19179 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 16, 2009, 03:32:16 PM »

http://www.gambling911.com/sports/march-madness-2009-picks-bracket-considerations-031509.html

March Madness 2009: Picks Bracket Considerations
Submitted by Don Shapiro on Sun, 03/15/2009 - 10:12.

Heading into March, the folks at BetUS.com offered odds on each of the teams likely to win the NCAA Championship this year.  These early observations - along with recent events - could help with  your March Madness 2009 picks bracket, whether it's for the office pool, the BetUS.com $1 Million Contest or to simply help with one's own betting.

Some important historic trends to keep in mind: 

In the last 20 years, No. 1 seeds have won 70% of the NCAA tournament. No. 2 seeds have won the title 10% of the time - Duke won as a No. 2 seed in 1991 and Kentucky won as a No. 2 in 1998.

Interestingly, No. 3 seeds have actually won 15% of the last 20 NCAA tournaments. Michigan was a No. 3 in 1989; Syracuse was a No. 3 in 2003; and Florida was a No. 3 in 2006.

Add it all up, and 95% of the last 20 tournaments have been won by one, two, or three-seeds.

Hear are some teams that are not necessarily going to be among the top seeds to examine closely for your March Madness 2009 picks bracket:

Florida State - registering wins over the likes of Florida, Miami, California, Cincinnati, Maryland and Clemson, and more recently, North Carolina.

Charles Jay of BetUS.com:

"They've relied on glove-like defense (39% FG's allowed) rather than offensive explosiveness. The only double-digit scorer is Toney Douglas (20.3 ppg) but there are four others who are tallying between 7.9 and nine points per contest. FSU has size, with an effective pair of forwards and a freshman center (Solomon Alabi) who is turning into something of an intimidator, with two blocks and 5.6 rebounds in just 21 minutes game. Florida State is 15-7-1 ATS this season, so they are used to performing above expectations, and they have taken on the personality of their coach, Leonard Hamilton, which is that they exhibit mental toughness. Because they take their defense wherever they go, they are going to be a tough "out" in the tournament."

Florida State had odds of winning the tournament set at +20000 coming into March.  That would mean at payout of $20,000 for every $100 bet at BetUS.com if you happened to get that number early in the month.

Michigan - It was not set in stone heading into March that Michigan would make the tournament.  Today, it appears they have a good shot.  They are likely to be around a tenth seeded team and are capable of the upset.

"The Wolverines have gone though incredible peaks and valleys this season, and they are not a team that is going to overwhelm anyone with size, but when they can execute their up-tempo offense unencumbered, they are trouble for just about anyone," Jay said last week.  "Look, this is team that was good enough and gutsy enough to go into Pauley Pavilion and beat UCLA; they were routed by Duke, then came back and scored a win in the rematch. They went up to Connecticut and gave the Huskies life and death until the very end. There have been solid conference wins against Illinois, Minnesota and just recently Purdue, all of whom have seen time in the Top 25 this year. Yes, Michigan can pull some upsets in the tourney."

Michigan was listed last week with odds that would pay $15,000 for every $100 bet if they were to somehow win the tournament.

Purdue - "The Boilermakers were ranked highly at the start of the season, and were probably expected to ultimately go farther at that point then they are now. They've slid in the rankings, where they are #19 in the AP and #20 in the coaches' poll. Regardless of how they do in the Big Ten tournament, Purdue will be in the NCAA field. Last year they came out of nowhere to be a major player in the Big Ten, and had a lot of young kids who played with wisdom far beyond their years. They have balance, and the versatile Robbie Hummel is getting healthier. Plus, this team has the one guy they can count on as a defensive stopper - guard Chris Kramer, the unquestioned blood-and-guts leader of this team who can play lockdown against some of the best (just ask Stephen Curry, who shot 5 for 26 against him)."

They were listed with +4000 odds to win the NCAA Tournament outright.

Jay also offered an interesting observation about California, with odds that would pay $15,000 on every $100 bet at BetUS.com

"What makes this team special is that if the Bears go through a hot stretch, they are capable of beating ANYBODY on any given night," he said.

California was expected to come in around a number nine seed.

Don Shapiro, Gambling911.com

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:36:40 PM by klaasend » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »

Printable bracket:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/mayhem/brackets/printable_men

Another printable bracket:

http://www.docsports.com/pdf/2009-march-madness-printable-brackets.pdf
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:37:04 PM by klaasend » Logged
Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »

I posted this in the Caylee thread, but you know you are spending too much time on Scared Monkeys when your husband is screaming at the basketball game for going into what he calls "O/T"...and  you in return say "Off topic!!!??  Oh Klaas will get them for sure!"

You get a funny look from the husband with that one.

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »

Thanks for posting this up for us! All games will be available at Kiwi's Dawg House. There is no betting pool. So go to the links and pick your Final Four teams and this years National Champion!

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:11:10 PM »

I'm picking Louisville, Memphis, Pittsburgh and North Carolina as the Final Four and Memphis to Win! 2 days 10 hours 28 minutes 13 seconds till the opening tip off!!!!!

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »

I'm picking Louisville, Memphis, Pittsburgh and North Carolina as the Final Four and Memphis to Win! 2 days 10 hours 28 minutes 13 seconds till the opening tip off!!!!!

Another convertee to Memphis!

I picked them to win it all last year, and I came close to being right....

I am not sure about Pittsburg Kiwi, because I haven't seen them play. But the rest of your picks are the same as mine.

It could be Louisville and Memphis.....winner takes all.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »

I can't find time to really think this through so for now, Memphis/Louisville/UNC........I'll try to pick my fourth sometime tonight. Gotta focus on work today !

I continue to stand with the girl.
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »

Yes the games have started. There are a few hundred monkeys that have not picked their teams this year! Hey the Dawg House is empty!!!! 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 01:59:02 PM »

oh Kiwi I've been working long hours this week, I'm wavering on my fourth pick and thought I'd decided on CONN and then I just heard Calhoun is enroute to the hospital? I may just go with Duke instead?

So make mine UNC/Memphis/Louisville/Duke. I may get burned though 

I've got concerns about UNC now for Ty Lawson's toe still seems to be creating some issues? Son plays every football season with serious turf toe, he even had to do the Nike camp with a high ankle sprain he got in the basketball tourney a week prior? Have to wonder about Lawson......

Please keep my recliner warm in the dawghouse 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »

Well after hearing all of the hoopla around Coach K's comments in response to the media questioning him about Obama's picks.........I'm glad I picked Duke !

UCONN is what I meant to post earlier, just very tunneled in with work today, only seconds break at a time.

Calhoun is in the hospital overnight for tests?

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 02:13:39 AM »

Yes the games have started. There are a few hundred monkeys that have not picked their teams this year! Hey the Dawg House is empty!!!! 

Well...I guess I could be offended.....talk about March Madness
You didn't see me?
I'm there, watching my AU Tigers play in the Not Invited Tournament. They beat Tulsa, and they will go to the semi-finals. Big Whoop....

Maybe the Memphis TIGERS will have a good run.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »

PDH there is always next year, right? 

Memphis is a contender for sure ! Pittsburgh nearly lost though, what's up with that?

WFU was knocked off last night, a real shame so I hope they can improve by next season too

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »

I think Memphis wants a chance to prove they can win the Big One. They seem very driven.
I'm definitely stickin' with them. They are on fire. I love the way they play.

I'm still mad that AU didn't get a bid. They're playing better than a lot of the teams I've seen this weekend.....

Sweet 16. Here we go.....

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »

I agree about Memphis PDH, this might be their year, particularly since it took every tool UNC had to win yesterday.

But Duke has held on and make the Sweet 16, I don't think they can upset Memphis or UNC but I do think Obama really spurred on Coach K and his team. I don't know how many know that Duke is referred to as the "harvard of the south" which may be why Obama dissed them but he may regret that soon. He made the K pretty mad 

Where is Keepthefaith. His boyz are doing pretty well, they play again this afternoon for their berth in the 16 so I'm pulling for you KTF !

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »

PDH there is always next year, right? 

Memphis is a contender for sure ! Pittsburgh nearly lost though, what's up with that?

WFU was knocked off last night, a real shame so I hope they can improve by next season too

I put a MOJO on 'em.  Hate Pittsburgh.  well.. I hate their AD.  He's the one that destroyed our football program.  I cheer for whoever Pitt plays in EVERY sport.

So Pitt will go down.   
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »

WOW!!!

beans put the bad basketball juju on Pitt!

Did you put the nail in the coffin and email ESPN and ask them to mention Pitt a lot? That'll do it for sure.

BTW....AU Women's team is playing in the Women's NCAA, and they'll be on ESPN2 tomorrow night at 7:00 Central. WDE!!!!
It's one of the few times I'm looking forward to a Monday....

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 08:35:46 PM »

WOW!!!

beans put the bad basketball juju on Pitt!

Did you put the nail in the coffin and email ESPN and ask them to mention Pitt a lot? That'll do it for sure.

BTW....AU Women's team is playing in the Women's NCAA, and they'll be on ESPN2 tomorrow night at 7:00 Central. WDE!!!!
It's one of the few times I'm looking forward to a Monday....

Good luck PDH!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 09:25:19 PM »

PDH bad juju  too funny!

We'll be pulling for your female Tigers for sure !

Sorry to see that your team lost KTF, I was pulling for them !

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 10:26:55 PM »

Thank You Michigan State for laying waste to So. Cal!!!!
It was a beautiful thing to watch!

beans....you must've misread the spell because Pitt beat my Oklahoma State Cowboys this afternoon....dang it.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »

and the Big East has the most # of teams in the sweet sixteen too! mixing it up this season!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.