April 26, 2024, 10:09:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancaster Mom Arrested For Murder of Emma Barker 18 mo.  (Read 20916 times)
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: March 20, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »

Stacy Barker initially told authorities that her 18-month-old daughter was abducted. But she is now saying the death was an accident, according to sources.

A chilling report that a Lancaster mother had been knocked unconscious by an attacker and her 18-month-old daughter abducted Wednesday afternoon triggered a frantic search by authorities for the missing child.

That search ended nearly a dozen hours later Thursday, though, when police discovered the toddler's body dumped by the side of a road in Sylmar, near the Golden State Freeway.

Now, in the wake of the discovery, investigators are saying there are problems with the mother's explanation.

Emma Leigh Barker's remains were found by investigators after they determined there "were several inconsistencies" with her mother's story, authorities said. The girl's body was found near Roxford Street and El Dorado Avenue, concealed by deep overgrown brush alongside a fence.

Authorities said it appeared the girl's 25-pound body had been dumped sometime over the last 24 hours and showed no visible signs of trauma.

The girl's mother, Stacy Barker, 20, initially told detectives that she was at a Lancaster park next to the Antelope Valley Freeway about 5 p.m. and had placed Emma in her car seat. The mother said she was "struck from behind by an unknown assailant" and knocked unconscious, sheriff's homicide Lt. Pat Nelson said.

Barker insisted to detectives she awoke about 10:30 p.m. several miles away at a Palmdale park-and-ride on Avenue S and her daughter was missing.

The mother's brother called authorities, and deputies were dispatched to the park-and-ride lot. Deputies found the mother semiconscious and partly undressed with visible bruises on her head, Nelson said.

The Sheriff's Department began searching for the girl at 11 p.m. Wednesday. Investigators put out a description of the girl as being 30 inches tall and wearing blue-jean shorts and a multicolored polka dot top.

Photos of Emma's smiling face filled Los Angeles television airwaves Thursday morning as investigators conducted a high-profile search for the missing toddler.

Sources familiar with the investigation said the mother changed her story by Thursday and was insisting that Emma's death was an accident.

Investigators and the county coroner's office must now determine how the girl died.

The mother is now helping investigators.

"She is not in custody. She is cooperating with the investigation," Nelson said.

Barker is "not considered a suspect" at this point, he said. "But that may change" as the investigation continues, he said.

When asked whether there were other persons of interest, Nelson said that investigators were "working additional leads," but "nobody specific" was under investigation.

Sheriff's investigators late Thursday night confirmed that the body was that of Emma.

SOURCE

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:20:20 PM »

I had just read this article and put a post in musing about this little girl! how awful for this little child...words fail me...

oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:10:35 PM »

I want to know how this child died.

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »

me too Oldie...
I am just sick about all these babies dying....what a waste cause there are so many people who would love to have this child, I am sure the grand parents would take her in a heartbeat...why are these Mom s so selfish? Tell someone that it is too much to be a mother if that is the problem and get some help...there are resources out there if mom felt over whelmed....

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 01:25:57 PM »

Palmdale, CA: Mother dumps little girls body on roadside fearing criminal charges
March 21, 11:08 AM

Stacey Barker told police that she had received a blow to the back of her head while she was putting her 18-month-old daughter in her car seat, but now she has retracted the statement. She told authorities that she lied because she was afraid that she would be suspected of killing her daughter. Her father says that he had danced the little girl around and then Stacey gave the baby a bottle and put her to bed.

Stacey panicked when little Emma Leigh died and she took the child’s body to the roadside where she dumped it. The body was later found by police near the freeway where the mother had dumped the child.

This story initially aired March 19th 2009 on ABC news online, and they said at that time the mother was not a suspect, but they had some suspicions about her story. Of course it’s easy to wonder why the woman did not call for emergency back up if the child wasn’t breathing? However, the number of people under suspicion for killing their own children is outrageous, and would probably frighten a young mother with a dead child.

Maybe this young woman has seen the way police act toward parents with missing and dead children, and she was frighten into doing something that is totally out of character for a mother. To me, it seems so degrading and so awful to dump a child on the side of a freeway, and leave it to whatever manner of things that might find the body, but it’s not something that I would have thought a mother could or would do.

This young woman was 24, living with her parents, and her father says the child’s death was such an unusual thing, so why did no one act with responsibility to get medical attention, or summons a coroner. If the death were from natural causes, then the police would have no grounds to charge anyone in the household with a crime. It is a hope, a wish, or something, that the mother has told the truth at last, and will not be guilty of having done anything to her toddler. It’s sickening to think that a young woman would be forced by fear to dump her little girl’s body in the elements to avoid prosecution. When this investigation ends, perhaps the police will take a renewed look at the investigation of some other cases and decide to reinvestigate for possible suspects in those cases. I truly want to believe Stacey Barker, and I feel this might be a case of innocent until proven guilty whether her actions look suspicious or not.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2052-Sherman-Family-Examiner~y2009m3d21-Palmdale-CA-Mother-dumps-little-girls-body-on-roadside-fearing-criminal-charges

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 01:11:54 AM »

LANCASTER -- A mother who initially claimed she was assaulted and her 18- month- old daughter kidnapped has been arrested on suspicion of murder in the toddler's death.

Stacey Barker, 24, initially told deputies her daughter Emma was abducted from her car in the parking lot of Lancaster City Park on March 18th.

She claimed she was knocked out by the kidnapper and woke up several miles away at the Palmdale Park-n-Ride.

Barker later admitted making up the abduction story. 

She said the little girl died accidentally, causing her to panic and leave the girl's body near the freeway.

The child's body was found 12 hours later, dumped in a grassy lot near the Golden State Freeway in Sylmar.

The results of an autopsy on child have not been disclosed.

Barker was arrested Thursday at a home in Lancaster and is being held on $1 Million bail.

She is expected to be arraigned Monday.

Barker's father told KTLA back in March that Barker lived at home with her parents and younger brother who all took turns taking care of the family's first and only grandchild.

Gary Barker said his wife worked at night so they wouldn't have to send Emma to day care, while his son watched Emma during the morning so other family members could rest.

Barker would not comment on what led to his granddaughter's death.

He said there were no words to express how the family is dealing with the news as they prepare for the toddler's funeral.

He described Emma as a "beautiful, happy girl'' who smiled from the time she got up to when she went to bed.

"You lose it, you get it together, you lose it, you get it together,'' he told reporters.

"She was so young and it's such an unnatural tragedy.''

Barker said there are constant reminders of Emma around the house that surface at the most unexpected moments.

The TV menu catalogued the last movies they watched together. Emma especially loved "Bee Movie'' and "Alvin and the Chipmunks,'' he said.

He said he last saw Emma the night before the alleged abduction when he got home from work just before his granddaughter's bedtime.

His voice choked with emotion as he recalled the memory.

"I was holding her in the family room and I was dancing with her and slowly dipping her,'' he said.

"She was laughing and smiling and we were looking at each other eye to eye. After that it was bedtime and Stacey gave her a bottle and put her to bed.''

LINK

Edit~ to add Emma's name to subject line
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:19:17 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »

Mother Charged With Murder in Toddler's Death
April 27, 2009

LANCASTER -- A Quartz Hill mother who initially claimed she was assaulted and her 18- month- old daughter kidnapped has now been charged with the toddler's murder.

Stacey Barker, 24, was charged with one count each of murder, assault on a child causing death and child abuse Monday, according to the District Attorney's office.

The complaint alleges that Barker willfully caused and permitted the child to be injured and harmed and that injury resulted in death.

Barker initially told deputies her daughter Emma was abducted from her car in the parking lot of Lancaster City Park on March 18th.

She claimed she was knocked out by the kidnapper and woke up several miles away at the Palmdale Park-n-Ride.

Barker later admitted making up the abduction story. 

She said the little girl died accidentally, causing her to panic and leave the girl's body near the freeway.

The child's body was found 12 hours later, dumped in a grassy lot near the Golden State Freeway in Sylmar.

Sheriff's officials never disclosed what sort of accident Barker said killed her daughter.

Barker was arrested Thursday afternoon and booked at the Lancaster Sheriff's Station on suspicion of second-degree murder, Lt. Don Downton said.
"Within the last several weeks investigators were able to interview several people in the case," Downton said.

Barker is jailed in lieu of $1 million bail.

Investigators had been waiting for the coroner's office to declare the cause of death, and coroner's officials said Thursday evening that the case had been sealed under a "security hold" and they were not allowed to disclose any information.

Barker's father told KTLA back in March that Barker lived at home with her parents and younger brother who all took turns taking care of the family's first and only grandchild.

Gary Barker said his wife worked at night so they wouldn't have to send Emma to day care, while his son watched Emma during the morning so other family members could rest.

Barker would not comment on what led to his granddaughter's death.

He said there were no words to express how the family is dealing with the news as they prepare for the toddler's funeral.

He described Emma as a "beautiful, happy girl'' who smiled from the time she got up to when she went to bed.

"You lose it, you get it together, you lose it, you get it together,'' he told reporters.

"She was so young and it's such an unnatural tragedy.''

Barker said there are constant reminders of Emma around the house that surface at the most unexpected moments.

The TV menu cataloged the last movies they watched together. Emma especially loved "Bee Movie'' and "Alvin and the Chipmunks,'' he said.

He said he last saw Emma the night before the alleged abduction when he got home from work just before his granddaughter's bedtime.

His voice choked with emotion as he recalled the memory.

"I was holding her in the family room and I was dancing with her and slowly dipping her,'' he said.

"She was laughing and smiling and we were looking at each other eye to eye. After that it was bedtime and Stacey gave her a bottle and put her to bed.''

Emma's funeral drew hundreds of family and friends to Palmdale's Desert Lawn Memorial Park, where the toddler was eulogized as "a princess and a little girl who always had a smile on her face."

During the service, Barker sat between parents Susan and Gary Barker, holding their hands.
http://www.ktla.com/landing_news/?Mother-Charged-With-Murder-in-Toddlers-D=1&blockID=243852&feedID=171

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »

gobsmacked again...

again, another woman whose family bent over backwards to help her care for her child and give her all the help that she could possibly want or need and she still murders the little girl... Wonder if these grand parents will support their daughter over their beloved grand daughter like the Anthony's have done?
Cookie walks away shaking her head in disgust....

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »

COD/Suffocation....  Sick of these useless, piss poor excuses for parents killing their kids... 

snipped....
"At this point, as best as we can determine, the infant died through suffocation at hands of the mother," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Pat Nelson. "After her third or fourth version of events, we knew she wasn't telling the truth, and we were able to determine what happened. At this point, we believe she acted alone."
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-mother28-2009apr28,0,6293699.story

oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »

How does anyone look at that sweet face and want to harm that precious child? I will never understand.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:55:54 PM »

me either Oldie...can't wrap my brain around it...

oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »

I see those sweet baby cheeks and I just want to pick her up and hold her and love her and give her kisses and make her giggle. How another human being can see that same face and get the urge to kill is totally beyond my ability to comprehend.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:29:25 PM »

I see those sweet baby cheeks and I just want to pick her up and hold her and love her and give her kisses and make her giggle. How another human being can see that same face and get the urge to kill is totally beyond my ability to comprehend.

yep....what a tragic loss for the grand parents too...I wonder how they are doing and if they are bitter towards their daughter, unlike the A's who still kiss that daughter's a s s as much as possible, even after what she so cold bloodily did to Caylee...

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »

What a beautiful little girl she was. RIP sweet baby, you are now safe in arms of angels.

What a sad story
BluesyGram
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »

This isn't making sense.  

March 18 = she reports the child was stolen
12 hrs later - she tells them where to find the child, who is found dead
She participates in the funeral.
She is arrested and charged today?

Why was she out of jail?

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 05:57:36 AM »

Mom accused of killing child after fake kidnapping

6 days ago

PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) — A woman was arrested Thursday for allegedly murdering her 1-year-old daughter, dumping her body along a freeway and telling authorities the child was kidnapped.

Stacey Barker, 24, has been under investigation since her toddler was found March 20 in tall grass a few blocks from Interstate 5 in the Sylmar area of Los Angeles.

The woman initially reported being knocked out by someone while putting young Emma into her car in Lancaster and waking up to find the child missing. She later recanted the story and claimed the child died in an accident.

"Investigators discovered several inconsistencies in her story almost immediately," said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the Los Angeles County sheriff's office. "As they continued to question her, her story began to change."

Whitmore said Barker had head injuries when authorities responded to her assault report. He said detectives are investigating whether they were self-inflicted.

Barker was detained for questioning after the child's body was discovered, but she was released into the custody of her parents several days later. She was booked Thursday on suspicion of murder and was being held on $1 million bond.

Barker's father told The Associated Press last month that Barker lived at home with her parents and younger brother who all took turns taking care of the family's first and only grandchild. Gary Barker said his wife worked at night so they wouldn't have to send Emma to day care, while his son watched Emma during the morning so other family members could rest.

http://bit.ly/XqdBA

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 08:25:11 AM »

Prosecutors filed murder and other charges Monday against a woman suspected in the death of her 18-month-old daughter, whom she initially claimed was taken from her in a violent kidnapping.

Stacey Marie Barker, 24, was also charged with assault on a child causing death and child abuse, according to the district attorney's office. She was expected to be arraigned Monday in Lancaster.

Authorities said Barker initially lied to investigators about the circumstances of the child's death. She told sheriff's deputies that someone knocked her out as she was putting her daughter into a car seat in Lancaster on the evening of March 19 and that she awoke hours later in Palmdale, according to the sheriff's department.

Barker allegedly inflicted wounds to her head, partially undressed and faked semi-consciousness in an attempt to mislead deputies.

Under questioning, Barker later told deputies that her daughter, Emma Leigh, died in an unspecified accident and Barker panicked and dumped the body, deputies said.

Related Stories
Investigation Continues Into Toddler's Death 
Mother of Missing Girl Admits Dumping Body, Police Say 
Investigators recovered the toddler's body in a yard in the 13000 block of El Dorado Avenue in Sylmar.

Barker was arrested Thursday. Prosecutors recommended that bail be set at $1 million.

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »

More pics  http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=6782874

Monken ~  Is this link applicable to your post just above, with the two pics?  If so I can put the link with that post.  If it's not the link for your post above also, do you have a link for it, so I can add it?  We're supposed to put the links with the posts...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:33:14 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 10:34:20 AM »

This isn't making sense.  

March 18 = she reports the child was stolen
12 hrs later - she tells them where to find the child, who is found dead
She participates in the funeral.
She is arrested and charged today?

Why was she out of jail?

doesn't make sense to me either ... maybe LE found proof she murdered the childre rather than the accident she claimed???

snipped
Barker was detained for questioning after the child's body was discovered, but she was released into the custody of her parents several days later. She was booked Thursday on suspicion of murder and was being held on $1 million bond.

I remember you, Caylee.
I dont feel tardy
Scared Monkey

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 11:29:42 AM »

Apparently recanted her kidnapped story 12 hrs later (back on March 18) and led them to the body and she was NOT arrested?!?! They wait a month + to charge her with 2nd degree murder which will get her 15 yrs tops... what the heck is going on??? I smell special treatment
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.