April 26, 2024, 07:43:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Africa - A 'Free Trade' Disaster Continues and Gains Speed  (Read 1784 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 25, 2009, 06:23:33 PM »

...a new report, Trading Away Our Jobs, that Brown's call to other G20 leaders to complete the Doha trade round put 7.5 million workers at risk in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Indonesia, Mexico, Philippines, Tunisia and Uruguay, and millions more in other rich and poor countries.

War on Want executive director John Hilary said: "Our report exposes how trade liberalisation has thrown millions of people into grim poverty and threatens to devastate many further lives.

"Gordon Brown's free market fundamentalism will condemn millions to a bleak and jobless future. Instead of repeating the failed policies of the past, the Prime Minister and the other G20 leaders must put people first."

The report said that following two decades of free market policies, 50 million more Africans were now trapped in poverty than in 1997.

read more here -

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h9UlTwcJipjg3jTX-29FzXxWrCog

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:28:02 PM »

War on Want criticises Brown's free trade

25 March 2009

A poverty charity has criticised prime minister Gordon Brown's plans to promote free trade at the upcoming G20 summit in London.

According to the International Labour Organisation, around 50 million more workers worldwide will lose employment by the end of 2009.

The charity notes that free trade has caused many farmers and manufacturers in developing countries to lose their jobs, with a third of all Mexican workers now holding an insecure position.

http://www.cafonline.org/Default.aspx?page=17261

Free trade really isn't free and the only ones that seem to profit are large global corporations, super rich international people, and some countries.

The little people get the short end of the stick all over.

Infinite diversity in infinite combination...just say no go globalization.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.