April 23, 2024, 11:59:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandra Cantu #2 4/09/09 - 4/15/09  (Read 440580 times)
spring2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1660 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »

What I am blathering about and what is bugging the heck out of me is this lethal injection aspect and this person already having attempted suicide.  It's too much like she gets her own way in the end!  And a psychologist said to be suicidal is not at all rare in sexual predators etc.

At least she will spend many miserable years in jail even before being executed if convicted.  But for it to be painless and something she had in mind with suicide makes it not seem bad enough punishment.  And yes, I am all about punishment and do believe it is a deterrent to others no matter what we are told to the contrary.

I want the level of suffering to be in proportion to that of the victim.

Then I think we would finally see a reduction in the number of these predators.
The thing here in CA, the convicted person sitting on death row will be dead before they get around to executing the person. I'm not against the death penalty, but in this state it would probably be better for life in prison w/o paraole, and throw the person into gen pop.

yeah, it sounds like Scott Peterson has a pretty cushy life on death row...he listens to his radio all day, watches tv and answers all of his fan mail from desperado females who also fill his account with money so he can buy good deodorant and toothpastes and extras that other inmates can't buy...why do inmates get to have extras anyways? they shouldn't have anything to look forward to....besides, if they get money thrown their way, it should go to the state who provides their meals and care while they are laying around on their bums...

I could not agree more!  Or give it to the victims.  Especially when there's been a wrongful death suit!
Izzy58
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1661 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ775495&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ775495

EJ775495 - Female Sexual-Offenders: Personality Pathology as a Mediator of the Relationship between Childhood Sexual Abuse History and Sexual Abuse Perpetration against Others

A brief narrative description of the journal article, document, or resource.   Objective: The goal was to examine, in an all female sample, possible mechanisms for the relationship between a history of childhood sexual abuse and the likelihood of perpetrating sexual abuse as an adult. It was hypothesized that Borderline and Antisocial Personality Disorder tendencies would mediate the relationship between these two forms of abuse. Method: One hundred forty two female participants (61 sex-offenders and 81 non-sex offenders) were recruited from a woman's prison in the Midwest. The participants completed measures that included a childhood history of sexual abuse, socially desirable responding, primary and secondary psychopathy, and Borderline Personality Disorder tendencies. Results: Participants in the sexual-offender group reported more frequent instances of childhood sexual abuse (p less than 0.05, M = 16.4, SD = 7.2) than participants in the non-sex offender group (M = 12.2, SD = 7.7). Consistent with past research, childhood sexual abuse was related to Borderline Personality Disorder tendencies (r = 0.36, p less than 0.01). However, discriminant function analyses did not reveal support for our mediational hypotheses. Finally, the results indicated that participants in the sexual-offender group experienced childhood sexual abuse for a greater duration of time (p less than 0.05, M = 27.8, SD = 20.5 months) than participants in the non-sex offender group (M = 16.6, SD = 10.4). Conclusions: This study replicated previous research conducted on all male samples suggesting that the nature of the sexual abuse suffered in childhood is an important variable in predicting future sexual abuse perpetration.
spring2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1662 on: April 14, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »

Victim's families, I meant.

If the victims are living, by all means them.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1663 on: April 14, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ775495&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ775495

EJ775495 - Female Sexual-Offenders: Personality Pathology as a Mediator of the Relationship between Childhood Sexual Abuse History and Sexual Abuse Perpetration against Others

A brief narrative description of the journal article, document, or resource.   Objective: The goal was to examine, in an all female sample, possible mechanisms for the relationship between a history of childhood sexual abuse and the likelihood of perpetrating sexual abuse as an adult. It was hypothesized that Borderline and Antisocial Personality Disorder tendencies would mediate the relationship between these two forms of abuse. Method: One hundred forty two female participants (61 sex-offenders and 81 non-sex offenders) were recruited from a woman's prison in the Midwest. The participants completed measures that included a childhood history of sexual abuse, socially desirable responding, primary and secondary psychopathy, and Borderline Personality Disorder tendencies. Results: Participants in the sexual-offender group reported more frequent instances of childhood sexual abuse (p less than 0.05, M = 16.4, SD = 7.2) than participants in the non-sex offender group (M = 12.2, SD = 7.7). Consistent with past research, childhood sexual abuse was related to Borderline Personality Disorder tendencies (r = 0.36, p less than 0.01). However, discriminant function analyses did not reveal support for our mediational hypotheses. Finally, the results indicated that participants in the sexual-offender group experienced childhood sexual abuse for a greater duration of time (p less than 0.05, M = 27.8, SD = 20.5 months) than participants in the non-sex offender group (M = 16.6, SD = 10.4). Conclusions: This study replicated previous research conducted on all male samples suggesting that the nature of the sexual abuse suffered in childhood is an important variable in predicting future sexual abuse perpetration.

hmmmm .. That study is worth ..ummm ..Nothing..
But I think it is common sense that somebody who had a history of abuse may be prone to abuse others in there adult life.
jmho
Izzy58
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1664 on: April 14, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »

Mood, Substance Abuse Disorders Common Among Sex Offenders
Joan Arehart-Treichel

It’s likely that deviant sexual attractions or antisocial personalities are at the root of sexual crimes, but many sexual offenders also have a mental illness.

Most sexual offenders have paraphilias or antisocial personalities and in many cases also have depression, bipolar disorder, or an impulse control disorder.

These findings come from a study conducted by Neal Dunsieth, M.D., an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio, and colleagues and are reported in the March Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.

"To our knowledge," they noted, "ours is now the largest group of sexual offenders evaluated using structured clinical interviews for psychiatric disorders, personality disorders, and paraphilias."

Their study included 113 convicted sexual offenders voluntarily participating in an 18-month, residential, sexual-offender treatment program in Columbus, Ohio, between 1996 and 2001. All were male, aged 18 years or older, and 35 years old on average. About two-thirds of the subjects were white, and one-third were African American. All were convicted of at least one sexual offense. None, however, admitted to a sexually sadistic murder.

Upon admission to the treatment program, all participants were evaluated with a number of structured clinical tools including the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders, augmented with modules for DSM-IV impulse control disorders not elsewhere classified and sexual disorders; the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis II Disorders; a history of sexual and physical abuse; a history of psychotic, mood, anxiety, eating, substance use, impulse control, and paraphilic disorders in first-degree relatives; a review of medical and legal records and polygraph examinations.

Not surprisingly, 74 percent of sexual offenders were found to have a paraphilia, 56 percent met criteria for antisocial personality disorder, 28 percent met criteria for borderline personality disorder, and 25 percent met criteria for narcissistic personality disorder. More unexpectedly, however, many had other diagnoses. Fifty-eight percent had a mood disorder, 35 percent had bipolar disorder, 38 percent had an impulse control disorder, and 23 percent had an anxiety disorder. Moreover, 85 percent qualified, according to DSM-IV criteria, for a lifetime diagnosis of substance abuse disorder.

In addition, offenders with paraphilias were much more likely than other offenders to have mood, anxiety, and impulse control disorders. More than half of the subjects had been victims of sexual abuse themselves, while more than a quarter had been victims of incest.

The study did have some limitations, Dunsieth and his team noted. For example, no non-sexual-offender control group was used in the study, and investigators who diagnosed subjects for psychiatric disorders were not blinded to their sexual offenses. Nonetheless, Dunsieth told Psychiatric News, the results imply that clinical psychiatrists should "assess mental illness in sexual offenders and note a strong correlation between deviant sexual attraction [paraphilias] and an increased incident of mental illness."

"Overall this is a very positive study," Richard Krueger, M.D., medical director of the Sexual Behavior Clinic at New York State Psychiatric Institute, said in an interview. For one thing, he said, "it is very difficult to do this kind of study. Often departments of correction or parole are resistant to involvement in academic studies." For another, he added, "they did a family history of sexual offenders, which is not often reported, and I think that is an important contribution."

He agreed with Dunsieth that the study results "highlight the importance of a full psychiatric assessment of individuals involved with sexual crimes. Often they get plugged into sexual-offender programs without a psychiatric evaluation."

"This is a welcomed study reminding us that the sexual-offender population is a heterogeneous group composed of multiple overlapping diagnostic subgroups," Charles Smith, M.D., clinical director of the Whiting Forensic Division of the Connecticut Valley Hospital in Middletown, Conn., told Psychiatric News. "This diagnostic heterogeneity has serious implications for the design of social policy to ensure public safety by containing the behavior of known sexual offenders. Dunsieth and colleagues demonstrate very convincingly that subgroups of sexual offenders can be identified with divergent therapeutic problems and differential treatment concerns. It is a reasonable extrapolation of this work to envision treatment interventions and risk-reduction strategies tailored to, and optimized for, different sexual offender subgroups."

"The study does offer hope," Smith added, "that treatment of comorbid mental health conditions among some sexual offenders may be an effective approach to decreasing offender recidivism."

The sexual offender treatment program on which this study was based and data collection for the study were financed by the Ohio Adult Parole Authority.

The study, "Psychiatric and Legal Features of 113 Men Convicted of Sexual Offenses," is posted online for paid subscribers at www.psychiatrist.com/privatepdf/2004/v65n03/v65n0302.pdf. {blacksquare}

leslee
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1665 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:49 PM »

My children are all young adults now but when they were young I told them if they ever needed help in public area, got lost from parents, etc. to go to a nice looking, kind looking FEMALE and NEVER a male.

How times have changed!  I guess now I would tell them to just start screaming at the top of their lungs so I could hear them like baby wolves do.
Sadly this is the advice I have given my 5 yo son. If a stranger attempts to approach him he is to start screaming and kicking, better me be embarrassed then my son be taken. Granted, I am over protective and try very hard to never let the poor kid out of my site however, things happen, people get separated especially when one of them is a very inquisitive 5 yo boy. And should that ever happen (us get separated), scream.
When my 15 yo daughter was small I told her find a woman with a child, tell her you are lost and she will help you. I would no sooner give my young ones that advice now then I would find any ole stranger and hope for the best.
Just start screaming, I will find you.

I told my kids if someone ever tried to take them to scream " Stanger" so folks would know this is not just a parent with an unruly kid.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1666 on: April 14, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:07:06 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Izzy58
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1667 on: April 14, 2009, 12:53:02 PM »

hmmmm .. That study is worth ..ummm ..Nothing..
But I think it is common sense that somebody who had a history of abuse may be prone to abuse others in there adult life.
jmho

I believe our society has become sicker and sicker.  They really need to do some research to find out what is causing so many people to have all of these disorders which are becoming more and more common now.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1668 on: April 14, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
Interesting thanks   I bet we will find out that Melissa has been sexually abused as a child.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:07:28 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Izzy58
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1669 on: April 14, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

I wondered about the Domestic abuse. But this is interesting he has a history of child abduction!  It says he had supervised visits and was ordered to pay child support but I thought Madison wasn't his daughter? So many conflicting stories!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:07:57 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1670 on: April 14, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

I wondered about the Domestic abuse. But this is interesting he has a history of child abduction!  It says he had supervised visits and was ordered to pay child support but I thought Madison wasn't his daughter? So many conflicting stories!
This paper has a reputation of getting it right so I tend to trust them. It is where I go to get updates on news stories in my area. A little more in depth and fact based rather then assumptions. JMHO
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:08:18 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1671 on: April 14, 2009, 01:16:38 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

His children or child or other people's children? This is just plain weird, I would like to hear more on this.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:08:36 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Izzy58
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1672 on: April 14, 2009, 01:20:10 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

This paper has a reputation of getting it right so I tend to trust them. It is where I go to get updates on news stories in my area. A little more in depth and fact based rather then assumptions. JMHO

I'd like to hear more about this child abduction report.  I wonder if he has other children?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:09:10 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Izzy58
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1673 on: April 14, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
His children or child or other people's children? This is just plain weird, I would like to hear more on this.

lol  I guess we were both thinking the same thing!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:09:47 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1674 on: April 14, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »

My children are all young adults now but when they were young I told them if they ever needed help in public area, got lost from parents, etc. to go to a nice looking, kind looking FEMALE and NEVER a male.

How times have changed!  I guess now I would tell them to just start screaming at the top of their lungs so I could hear them like baby wolves do.
Sadly this is the advice I have given my 5 yo son. If a stranger attempts to approach him he is to start screaming and kicking, better me be embarrassed then my son be taken. Granted, I am over protective and try very hard to never let the poor kid out of my site however, things happen, people get separated especially when one of them is a very inquisitive 5 yo boy. And should that ever happen (us get separated), scream.
When my 15 yo daughter was small I told her find a woman with a child, tell her you are lost and she will help you. I would no sooner give my young ones that advice now then I would find any ole stranger and hope for the best.

I told my kids if someone ever tried to take them to scream " Stanger" so folks would know this is not just a parent with an unruly kid.

I haven't read every post so sorry if I repeat. When telling your children who to be watchful of, it is wise to tell them what to do in the case they are taken. I tell my children that although they will be very scared, that feeling is not going to help them get back to me. They need to be angry, brave and determined. Fight, fight, fight.....If they take you anywhere, don't listen when they tell you to be quiet, you fall to the floor and scream you have been kidnapped, scream your name, where you live and ask for help. My son said, "ya I will just be like a warrior fighting against a dragon!"
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1675 on: April 14, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

I want to hear more too! I found that as an interesting bit of information. I bet if we can find an arrest record on him it would give light to what this was about.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:10:36 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
k9ohana
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1676 on: April 14, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »

I haven't read every post so sorry if I repeat. When telling your children who to be watchful of, it is wise to tell them what to do in the case they are taken. I tell my children that although they will be very scared, that feeling is not going to help them get back to me. They need to be angry, brave and determined. Fight, fight, fight.....If they take you anywhere, don't listen when they tell you to be quiet, you fall to the floor and scream you have been kidnapped, scream your name, where you live and ask for help. My son said, "ya I will just be like a warrior fighting against a dragon!"
I agree we have even gone to the MADD days here in Modesto where the police come out and show kids how to disable tail lights from inside the trunk of a car so they may get pulled over by the police, how to hop out kick and start running and so on.

My Dad always told me "If you're not part of the solution, You're part of the problem".
So which is it, solution or problem?
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1677 on: April 14, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
Interesting thanks   I bet we will find out that Melissa has been sexually abused as a child.

I agree.  I wonder if any of the family members are involved?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:11:10 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
littletxlady
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1678 on: April 14, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090414/A_NEWS/90414006

Huckaby maintains innocence says grandmother (9:58 a.m.)

By The Record
April 14, 2009 12:59 PM
STOCKTON – Connie Lawless said in phone interview this morning that her granddaughter, Melissa Huckaby, maintains her innocence to charges that she kidnapped, murdered and raped 8-year-old Sandra Cantu.

Lawless said she and her husband, Pastor Clifford Lane Lawless, visited for the first time with Huckaby, 28, at the San Joaquin County Jail for 40 minutes Monday evening. That’s when Huckaby told her grandparents she was not guilty.

“We cried together, we prayed,” Connie Lawless said. She and her family were rushing out of the house to attend Huckaby’s initial court hearing in the case.

She’s expected to be charged with kidnapping, murder and the special circumstance of rape with a foreign object, lewd and lascivious conduct with a child – charges that make her eligible for a death sentence.

Connie Lawless asked everybody to maintain an open mind. Her granddaughter has yet to speak with an attorney and the only side of the story to come out so far has come from the Tracy Police Department, which is one-sided, she said.

Huckaby was arrested Friday.

Joran is truly EVIL

Casey's only truthful statement:  "Well...maybe I'm a spiteful bitch"

God Don't Like Ugly
momoftwins
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1679 on: April 14, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »

My son turns 6 today, and I talked to him last week about this, and he asked what if the person covered his mouth, so he couldn't scream, I told him to bite them, and kick them in the privates, or try to scratch their eyes out.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.