March 28, 2024, 12:28:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter side dishes for baked ham  (Read 23238 times)
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« on: April 08, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »

OK....need help! I just found out I will be cooking Easter Dinner for 10 people.....Dang..I do so love going out to an Easter Brunch!!

Anyway....I am getting a honey baked ham.....we are going to have to eat buffet style as my table will only comfortably sit 6....pushing at 8 ...over that...forget it. And it is going to be too cold to eat outside.

I want to keep it simple......any ideas???

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »

well...there are cheesy hashbrown potatoes...real easy and yummy...then there is scalloped corn...
the ever favorite green bean casserole...a jello salad....hot rolls, butter...
there is sweet potato casserole...and deviled eggs!
Walmart has some frozen side dishes that are really pretty good..also, Sam's club if you don't have time to make a bunch of side dishes..
buffet style to me is the best way to go...set it out and let everyone helps themselves....is everyone bringing a dish to pass?
good luck and have fun..don't get too fussy about it all or you won't enjoy your day..

Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »

Since it is nippy outside, may I suggest a "Potato Stew"?  It can cook in your crock pot, and can be served mug style for easy holding.  Smile  Now I want some!! 

Green bean casserole is always delish and dilled baby red potatos are delish.  (Again getting hungry)

Corn bread is great with ham, as are drop biscuits and cheddar biscuits. (Seriously hungry now)

Asperagus is out now, very inexpensive, and delish grilled on a flat top with a bit of EVOO and crushed pepper.  Possibly make little scewer kabobs with various fresh veggies grilled up with some EVOO and pepper....such as cherry tomatos, peppers, asperagus, pineapple, and squash.  Its easy to hold and carry.

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »

Meant to add...

What time are you serving this meal, and do I park in the front or back of the house?

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:35:05 PM »

well...there are cheesy hashbrown potatoes...real easy and yummy...then there is scalloped corn...
the ever favorite green bean casserole...a jello salad....hot rolls, butter...
there is sweet potato casserole...and deviled eggs!
Walmart has some frozen side dishes that are really pretty good..also, Sam's club if you don't have time to make a bunch of side dishes..
buffet style to me is the best way to go...set it out and let everyone helps themselves....is everyone bringing a dish to pass?
good luck and have fun..don't get too fussy about it all or you won't enjoy your day..

I have some very picky eaters coming (and some people I don't know).....so I am trying to keep it simple...but still nice...also trying to keep from getting too many hot dishes....

will certainly do deviled eggs, also thinking  about cucumber, sweet onion and tomato salad, sweet potato casserole and a corn casserole....yeast rolls and key lime pie and coconut/pineapple cake

want to do something with asparagus....cold salad and possiblly a cole slaw.....oh hells bells I don't know.....no one is bringing anything except themselves (ssshhhh my DH invited 2 people from work and their SO's...never met them....so I don't want any food that I don't know the people....oh I know how bad that sounds...but trust me..it comes from experience)

Thanks for the WalMArt and Sam's suggestion...I will certainly check it out!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »

Since it is nippy outside, may I suggest a "Potato Stew"?  It can cook in your crock pot, and can be served mug style for easy holding.  Smile  Now I want some!! 

Green bean casserole is always delish and dilled baby red potatos are delish.  (Again getting hungry)

Corn bread is great with ham, as are drop biscuits and cheddar biscuits. (Seriously hungry now)

Asperagus is out now, very inexpensive, and delish grilled on a flat top with a bit of EVOO and crushed pepper.  Possibly make little scewer kabobs with various fresh veggies grilled up with some EVOO and pepper....such as cherry tomatos, peppers, asperagus, pineapple, and squash.  Its easy to hold and carry.

Great suggestions. Never had potato stew???  Defintely want to do something with asparagus.....we love it grilled..grliled veggies are our mainstay in the summer.......but I am thinking of a cold salad....my house is VERY SMALL.....and 10 people plus the 2 of us is going to be very tight.....usually we are outside with this many...but the weather is not cooperating....uummmm I hadn't thought of dilled baby or fingerling taters!  One of the couples my DH invited are vegetarians...... ...so I feel like I have to have more side dishes

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:44:41 PM »

Meant to add...

What time are you serving this meal, and do I park in the front or back of the house?

Dinner bell at 2PM...you always can park in the front (field out back)

Rest in Peace Caylee

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:46:33 PM »

Seasame Dijon Asparagus
This is a quick and easy asparagus recipe:

Ingredients:
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp white wine vinegar
12-14 stalks of asparagus
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Preparation:
Whisk together the soy sauce, mustard, sesame oil and vinegar in a small bowl.
Steam the asparagus just until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the excess water. Toss with the soy sauce mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:48:45 PM »

Broccoli and Swiss Cheese Quiche w/tomatos

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup cooked broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 cups low-fat grated Swiss cheese
8 ounces evaporated skim milk
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tomato, sliced thin
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 pre-made whole wheat pastry crust (recipe link below)
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whip eggs with wire whisk; add broccoli, shredded Swiss cheese, evaporated milk, garlic, onion, salt and pepper; stir until blended.

Pour into prepared whole wheat pastry crust. Slice tomato and place on top of quiche mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until quiche tests done in center. Allow to cool before serving.

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »

Asparagus and Noodle Salad

8 oz. linguine noodles
3/4 lb. asparagus, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. minced roasted garlic
1 tsp. grated, fresh ginger root
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1/4 tsp. brown sugar
Dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1/2 cup sliced green onions (green part only)

Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
Place the asparagus in a colander. Pour the noodles into the colander, on top of the asparagus, and drain—the hot water and noodles will lightly steam the asparagus. Leave in the colander for 10 minutes.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add the noodles and asparagus and stir gently until well blended.
Refrigerate for several hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. Stir again before serving and serve cold.

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »

Meant to add...

Dinner bell at 2PM...you always can park in the front (field out back)
I will leave today!  To insure I get to Texas in time of course!     I hope my driver is ready for a road trip!!  LOL

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:05:44 PM »

Asparagus and Noodle Salad

8 oz. linguine noodles
3/4 lb. asparagus, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. minced roasted garlic
1 tsp. grated, fresh ginger root
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1/4 tsp. brown sugar
Dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1/2 cup sliced green onions (green part only)

Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
Place the asparagus in a colander. Pour the noodles into the colander, on top of the asparagus, and drain—the hot water and noodles will lightly steam the asparagus. Leave in the colander for 10 minutes.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add the noodles and asparagus and stir gently until well blended.
Refrigerate for several hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. Stir again before serving and serve cold.

LOL....great recipies Dolce!!  Are they your Hubs?

Here was the menu:
*Honey Baked ham
*sweet potatoes
*mashed potatoes
*deviled eggs
*grilled aspargus with garlic and EVOO
*parsnips and carrots steamed al dente with butter sauce
*vegetable salad...cabbage, green onion, sweet peppers, english cucumbers, radish, carrots, grape tomatoes with dressing of 1 cup lite mayo, 4 tbls red wine vinegar, 1/3 cup sweetner......whisked until all well blended....salt, pepper a dash of herbs de provence
*yeast rolls
*cheese and olive tray
*key lime pie
*cream cheese delight cake

There was something for everyone...no one went home hungry and there was very little left!!

thanks to everyone for the suggestions

Rest in Peace Caylee

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »

bump

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »

bump

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.