April 26, 2024, 04:45:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #34 4/9/09 - 4/15/09  (Read 114637 times)
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »

im going to assume everyone wants me to shut up about ips and site meters. thank you all who offered explanations as to what they are and how they are different from site to site, i didnt mean to be unclear and imply i wasnt familiar with what they are and how they work.

ya, we all know our IP is our internet footprint.  I understood what you were asking, but don't know the answer. 

Why don't you guys go down to the SITE METER at the bottom of this page, it looks like this:

and try and figure out who belongs to who.

I keep waiting for peanut to answer but I guess she went to the fridge or something.  Don't want to put words in her font, but I think she was wondering why SM would have a site meter for people to do exactly that.

Bud's Girl - I suppose I'm wondering why it's all of a sudden an issue.  It's always been there, since the site first came up in 2005.  It's not new.  Many blogs and forums have site meters.  Your IP is not going to tell anyone exactly where you live.  What is the issue?

If you email someone YOUR IP is in your email addy.  All the IP says is your general vicinity, it does not pinpoint your street address.

I believe my IP shows me as over a hundred miles from where I actually live, lol
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 12:14:47 AM »

Exactly Artcolley, lol 

The site meter only shows the last 100 people in the forum too.  Normally I don't' show up at all because I stay logged on 24/7.
peanut
Monkey Junky

I can spell, I just can't type.

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 12:16:06 AM »

im going to assume everyone wants me to shut up about ips and site meters. thank you all who offered explanations as to what they are and how they are different from site to site, i didnt mean to be unclear and imply i wasnt familiar with what they are and how they work.

ya, we all know our IP is our internet footprint.  I understood what you were asking, but don't know the answer. 

Why don't you guys go down to the SITE METER at the bottom of this page, it looks like this:

and try and figure out who belongs to who.

I keep waiting for peanut to answer but I guess she went to the fridge or something.  Don't want to put words in her font, but I think she was wondering why SM would have a site meter for people to do exactly that.

Bud's Girl - I suppose I'm wondering why it's all of a sudden an issue.  It's always been there, since the site first came up in 2005.  It's not new.  Many blogs and forums have site meters.  Your IP is not going to tell anyone exactly where you live.  What is the issue?

If you email someone YOUR IP is in your email addy.  All the IP says is your general vicinity, it does not pinpoint your street address.

my apologies klaas, i only joined this year and it never occurred to me to check if my ip was being logged publicly as that has never been the case on any other forums ive frequented. i was curious if it was done to  accommodate advertisers or if there was another reason as to why the 'public' option was chosen.

Justice is truth in action - Benjamin Disraeli
Bud's Girl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 12:26:04 AM »

It's not an issue with me -- it only came up suddenly due to Kermit posting the info on Iris earlier.  I didn't realize that much info was available.

The naked truth is always better than the best dressed lie.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 12:26:25 AM »

Peanut - have you looked at the site meter?  Have you looked for yourself there?
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 12:27:57 AM »

It's not an issue with me -- it only came up suddenly due to Kermit posting the info on Iris earlier.  I didn't realize that much info was available.

I'll say the same thing to you I said to Peanut - please try finding yourself on the site meter, or try and find me. 
Bud's Girl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 12:31:29 AM »

I'll say the same thing to you I said to Peanut - please try finding yourself on the site meter, or try and find me. 

I already tried - can't find myself !        

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 12:32:06 AM »

Hi Monkeys!!   

What about Cindy??    

abd the gum!!!!   
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »

I already tried - can't find myself !        

I didn't know you were lost!!   

I only read back a little!!
peanut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 12:37:14 AM »

Peanut - have you looked at the site meter?  Have you looked for yourself there?

yes i have and thats a ton of info...from the browser used to monitor resolution as well a city and lat and longitude.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 12:39:05 AM »

yes i have and thats a ton of info...from the browser used to monitor resolution as well a city and lat and longitude.

Lat and Long is your IP location not your house location.  Yes, it does show browser and all that stuff.  Does that matter?
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »

Exactly Artcolley, lol 

The site meter only shows the last 100 people in the forum too.  Normally I don't' show up at all because I stay logged on 24/7.

Right, I have many times fallen asleep signed in here, and I am sure I don't show up then, either. One would think I am camped here day and night sometimes.
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 12:42:49 AM »

Can I get anyone a drink?? 
peanut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 12:44:09 AM »

Lat and Long is your IP location not your house location.  Yes, it does show browser and all that stuff.  Does that matter?

i fully realize it doesnt show my house location and yes i do see myself. does it matter...i suppose that depends on the individual. im still curious as to why all that info is public, if its for advertisers to track and solicit or what?

iris44
Scared Monkey

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 12:45:31 AM »

Hey guys, I am not the Iris at CnG.  I am not a member there.  I am Iris44 here and at GoldMonkey.  I'm sure Klaasand can verify that for you.  I don't even have the site address for CnG.  Does that poster even write like me?  I barely even go to work.  I work out of my home most days or at clients.

Klaasand can you please verify this for kermit and anna?  Thanks.  Iris44

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 12:51:38 AM »

Hey guys, I am not the Iris at CnG.  I am not a member there.  I am Iris44 here and at GoldMonkey.  I'm sure Klaasand can verify that for you.  I don't even have the site address for CnG.  Does that poster even write like me?  I barely even go to work.  I work out of my home most days or at clients.

I'm not sure what you are asking me to verify.  She can see you are Iris44 here and I don't know where she is getting the rest of her info.  I'll make sure she sees your post though. 
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 12:52:02 AM »

Hi MT and all other Monkeys
Bud's Girl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 12:52:10 AM »

ok, now we're in the Twighlight Zone !!   

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 12:55:16 AM »

Hi MT and all other Monkeys

Hi Jackie - 

Me thinks we have missed something!!   
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 12:55:16 AM »

Peanut - I don't have the answers for you.  I've always thought of the site meter as more of a reporting tool to check web traffic to your site by location.  There are reports that can be run and graphs, etc.  I don't think it has anything to do with advertisement.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.