April 25, 2024, 10:06:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caylee Marie Anthony #123 4/14/09 - 4/17/09  (Read 227144 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »

Casey Anthony case
Death-penalty possibility changes much in Casey Anthony case, experts say

By Amy L. Edwards and Sarah Lundy | Sentinel Staff Writers
    April 14, 2009

Prosecutors raised the stakes in the Casey Anthony murder case Monday, announcing they will seek the death penalty for the single mother accused of killing her child.

The State Attorney's Office previously declared that it hoped to send Anthony to prison for life. Prosecutors announced that decision Dec. 5 — less than a week before investigators found the bones of 2-year-old Caylee Marie in woods near her family home.

Since then, sheriff's investigators have gathered additional evidence and "sufficient aggravating circumstances exist to justify the imposition of the Death Penalty" if Anthony is found guilty, according to the notice filed late Monday by prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick.

Anthony, 23, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Caylee, who disappeared last summer. Anthony maintains that the child was taken by a baby sitter who has not been found. Prosecutors in murder cases are required to declare before trial whether they will seek the death penalty.

Her lawyers criticized the state's change of plan.

"This is not a death-penalty case. We will do whatever is necessary to defend Casey Anthony from the state trying to take her life," said Marti Mackenzie, spokeswoman for defense lawyer José Baez.

Some legal experts characterized the state's move as unusual and said it could be a sign of potential weakness.

Bob Jarvis, who teaches legal ethics and law and popular culture at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, said there are two reasons why prosecutors would put the death penalty on the table.

One reason — the one he thinks is most likely in this case — is that prosecutors are frustrated because Anthony has refused to accept a plea.

If Anthony is convicted, a Florida jury is not likely to recommend she be executed, Jarvis said.

Of the 392 prisoners on the state's death row, only one is a woman. That woman, Tiffany Cole, was convicted last year of taking part in the murder of a Jacksonville couple who were buried alive, according to Florida Department of Corrections.

"Juries find it very difficult to send young women to death row," Jarvis said.

If they found Anthony guilty of first-degree murder, jurors then would have to consider whether there are "aggravating circumstances" that justify execution. Those factors could include whether the homicide was committed in a cold, calculated and premeditated manner.

They would have to weigh those reasons against any "mitigating circumstances" — also outlined in state law — such as whether the defendant acted under extreme duress.

Jurors recommend the penalty to a judge, who has final say.

Because of Monday's announcement, Anthony's defense team must have a lawyer who is certified to handle death-penalty cases. Lead attorney Baez, who was admitted to The Florida Bar in 2005, is not certified.

Mackenzie, his spokeswoman, said that is not a problem:

"We already have death-qualified defense lawyers on our team and are prepared for a vigorous defense."

Terence Lenamon, a Miami attorney who was once part of Anthony's team, gave prosecutors a report in November outlining why the mother should not receive the death penalty.

His report cited Anthony's erratic behavior after her daughter's birth, suggesting signs of emotional or mental distress. It also mentioned

that she lacked a criminal history.

"I'm greatly disappointed that the State Attorney's Office has decided to take this route," he said Monday after hearing the news.

He said this may be a sign that prosecutors are worried about a conviction. They may want "death-qualified jurors" — jurors who are willing to sentence someone to death. Those jurors also are more likely to convict defendants, Lenamon said.

"It changes the dynamics of everything," he said.

Amy L. Edwards can be reached at aledwards@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5735. Sarah Lundy can be reached at slundy@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-6218.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/caylee-anthony/orl-casey-anthony-14041409apr14,0,1582095.story

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Truth Baby
Scared Monkey

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 10:22:43 AM »

http://grayson.house.gov/appropriations-information.shtml

"I look forward to working with you to ensure that Florida’s priorities are well represented and adequately funded in the fiscal year 2010 appropriations bills, and I appreciate your efforts in the appropriations process. As I work to encourage the House Appropriations Committee to support central Florida’s federal funding requests, I rely heavily on the information that you provide to me.

# Child is Missing Program (ACIM) to establish a Caylee Anthony Missing Child Program in Orlando, 500 S.E. 17th St., Ft. Lauderdale, 33316. $500,000. This funding will bolster child and elderly safety programs by assisting law enforcement agencies in the first few hours a child or an elderly adult is reported missing via a telephony technology and satellite mapping system. This funding will also provide additional law enforcement training regarding missing children/elderly cases, and promote community education and awareness meetings involving child safety issues in the State of Florida.

Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »

Good morning monkeys!

joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 10:25:12 AM »

Hi guys, had to take a different route to get here!  Jammsnana you like very handsome too, just like josef!!! I don't know how to Polka though!!

I Thank you  (and BRANDI) for the compliment! My baby is very cute in her Patriotic Tiara!! I wish I could have heard the conversation at the Anthony home last night!!
Very Pretty Tiara. I wish I could have seen thru the curtains. No need to hear the conversation. Hammers, vases, baseball bats flying everywhere.

Is Lee still living at home.

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »

CC must be back there trying to collect funds.   

He tricked me!   

BBL - gotta take Sassy back to the vet and get her stiches out.  She had a cancerous tumor on her ear.   They got it all and she is fine.
That's good to hear she is fine.

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
anothermonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »

let's see those eyes bug out now beyooootch

Death penalty!!!!

How ya like those poptarts now???

Dude, she looks like the devil! 

Denial- turning people crazy all over the world! 
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 10:28:07 AM »

Morning Capp!

Yes, JSM, I think Lee is at home with his mom and dad.

I remember you, Caylee.
CasuallyCool
Monkey Junky

What a beauty!!!

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 10:28:37 AM »

Georgie Porgie, Bread Puddin' – weird eyes,
Was subpoenaed and told many lies,
When Morgan threatened contempt
Georgie Porgie became unkempt.

Do No Evil 
anothermonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »

CC must be back there trying to collect funds.   

He tricked me!   

BBL - gotta take Sassy back to the vet and get her stiches out.  She had a cancerous tumor on her ear.   They got it all and she is fine.

HUGS! I'm glad she's fine 

Denial- turning people crazy all over the world! 
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »

A new Aerosmith song?

ahh ahh dude looks like the devil

Yep, she's evil.

I remember you, Caylee.
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »

Good morning, everyone.  I saw your call out for the new cage a little too late while researching something else.  'Wonder Klaas', of course, to the rescue. 

I know I don't spend much time in here, but am usually around. 

Have a great day.   

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 10:30:23 AM »

A new Aerosmith song?

ahh ahh dude looks like the devil

Yep, she's evil.

Pure evil...interesting when her eyes bugged out there they were talking about evidence found in her car trunk, IIRC

joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »

http://grayson.house.gov/appropriations-information.shtml

"I look forward to working with you to ensure that Florida’s priorities are well represented and adequately funded in the fiscal year 2010 appropriations bills, and I appreciate your efforts in the appropriations process. As I work to encourage the House Appropriations Committee to support central Florida’s federal funding requests, I rely heavily on the information that you provide to me.

# Child is Missing Program (ACIM) to establish a Caylee Anthony Missing Child Program in Orlando, 500 S.E. 17th St., Ft. Lauderdale, 33316. $500,000. This funding will bolster child and elderly safety programs by assisting law enforcement agencies in the first few hours a child or an elderly adult is reported missing via a telephony technology and satellite mapping system. This funding will also provide additional law enforcement training regarding missing children/elderly cases, and promote community education and awareness meetings involving child safety issues in the State of Florida.

Thank You truthbaby. I was trying to find it for Turbo this morning.

flamom
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »

Hiya Monkey friends!! 
I couldnt get here from there.. 
I almost paid CC
Trimm, I met Phil Keating last fall at an election rally .. he is even cuter in person.. and he took a pic w/me too....  aahh.....
3babies is on her way to orlando. it's gonna pour there today
I was on I-95 in my sombrero but she passed me by 

If you can read this thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English thank a soldier..
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 10:36:26 AM »

Morning Capp!

Thanks, do you think he was at home last night? I would have slept in the car.

goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 10:40:18 AM »

Morning Capp!

He has learned to cope by whispering CMA and kissing his wrist.

I remember you, Caylee.
QuietMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 10:40:32 AM »

Yeah I made it on the 1st page of a new thread!!!

Well now that I realize it, I will change my statement. Jammsnana you are very beautiful! Especially now that I see that sparkling tiara!

RIP Sweet Puppy
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 10:41:30 AM »

State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony
Baez Not Qualified To Defend In Death Penalty Case
[NEWSVINE: State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony] [DELICIOUS: State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony] [DIGG: State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony] [FACEBOOK: State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony] [REDDIT: State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony] [RSS] [PRINT: State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony] [EMAIL: State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony]
[With the state attorney's office seeking the death penalty, attorney Jose Baez (R) is no longer qualified to defend Casey Anthony (L) against charges that she murdered her daughter. CASEY ANTHONY: Survey: Death Penalty? | Section]
With the state attorney's office seeking the death penalty, attorney Jose Baez (R) is no longer qualified to defend Casey Anthony (L) against charges that she murdered her daughter.
CASEY ANTHONY: Survey: Death Penalty? | Section
ORLANDO, Fla. -- In a change of heart, lead prosecutor, Linda Drane Burdick, of the state attorney's office, filed a letter of intent Monday to seek the death penalty for Casey Anthony.

Jose Baez, Casey Anthony's attorney, has confirmed that the defense has been notified. Baez is not qualified to defend a client in a death penalty case because he does not have the required amount of experience by the Florida Bar.

"This is not a death penalty case. We will do whatever is necessary to defend Casey Anthony from the state trying to take her life.
"They have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt and you prove the body was put there after Casey was in jail. That's a huge reasonable doubt."
- Richard Hornsby,
Criminal defense attorney
We already have death-qualified defense lawyers on our team and are prepared for a vigorous defense ... We plan on making this a whole tougher for the state now," Baez said in response to Monday's development from the state.
The court has also been notified of the state's intention.

Previously, the state said it would not seek the death penalty for Anthony, who is in the Orange County Jail charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of her daughter, Caylee.

The state attorney's office is citing "sufficient aggravating circumstances" as the reason for Monday's decision.

http://www.wesh.com/news/19168682/detail.html

Sorry , I do not know how to quote from one cage to another.  The above statement by BoBo truly makes me believe he is on a Twizzler high.  How is he gonna make it harder for the state?  Is he going to make more snide comments, hide the states stapler, or just be a bigger loser than he already is?
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »

Morning Capp!

I'm sure Lee is use to his mommy and daddy having tirades, Lee probably joined in on the fun breaking and throwing things, and trashing everybody involved for doing this to their princess. 
QuietMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »

Good morning, everyone.  I saw your call out for the new cage a little too late while researching something else.  'Wonder Klaas', of course, to the rescue. 

I know I don't spend much time in here, but am usually around. 

Have a great day.   

Hi 2NJ!!

RIP Sweet Puppy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.