March 29, 2024, 07:58:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandra Cantu #3 4/15/09 -4/27/09  (Read 442456 times)
Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1240 on: April 23, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »

I have to admit, I do not like NG, she bothers the heck out of me. I think she comes off as sort of acting and phony, but a lot of people bother me lately, lol, so my dear husband says.

I dont understand why she walked home, it would be quite a walk from sutter to the MHP, a good 2 or so miles I'de say. Not the best area to walk either that time of night. I would hate to think the Police would make a woman at night walk by herself. Did she say she drove or was someone else with her? All she said was she left with her daughter to get fast food. Idon't know, maybe her car wouldn't start?

This is speculation on my part, but Im guessing the grandparents were with her, and she let them take the car home earlier? I know she stated it was when she took the child to get something to eat that she noticed the "slumping over" etc. I wondered about that as well, and why the reporter didnt ask that. What is driving me crazy and what leads me to believe there maybe a #2 ID'd already, is that nobody has asked her if she asked the child if anyone else was at the park. HELLO?
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1241 on: April 23, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »

I have to admit, I do not like NG, she bothers the heck out of me. I think she comes off as sort of acting and phony, but a lot of people bother me lately, lol, so my dear husband says.

I dont understand why she walked home, it would be quite a walk from sutter to the MHP, a good 2 or so miles I'de say. Not the best area to walk either that time of night. I would hate to think the Police would make a woman at night walk by herself. Did she say she drove or was someone else with her? All she said was she left with her daughter to get fast food. Idon't know, maybe her car wouldn't start?

This is speculation on my part, but Im guessing the grandparents were with her, and she let them take the car home earlier? I know she stated it was when she took the child to get something to eat that she noticed the "slumping over" etc. I wondered about that as well, and why the reporter didnt ask that. What is driving me crazy and what leads me to believe there maybe a #2 ID'd already, is that nobody has asked her if she asked the child if anyone else was at the park. HELLO?

Didn't the mother state that the first child was taken to 3 parks that day?  Why?  That is strange to me. 

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #1242 on: April 23, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »

Good Morning, and thanks JessStar for the info, much appreciated. I'm curious if more people are going to come forward that their child spent time with Melissa, not only in No CA, but So CA as well. Something tells me there are other children. But the problem for some of these parents might be they don't want their child involved, to protect the child, or whatever reason they may have.

I seem to recall reading a comment from Sheneman a few days ago that they were talking to at least 2 other parents.  I'll see if I can drum up the article.

I must be mistaken because I can't find the article.  Sorry.  I could have sworn, though, that I read that somewhere.  They may have been referring to Polk.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1243 on: April 23, 2009, 11:58:43 AM »

AZSunny, Thank you for bring up the 3 parks again.  That has really been bugging me.  I can't figure out why she would have to go to 3 different parks in a few hours time.  Maybe it is notihing, but it feels sinister to me.

And where is Madison now?  Is she back from her "vacation"?  Her father said in his interview that she was "safe". 

I thought I heard or read (one time only) the term "protective" custody used regarding Madison.  Does anyone else recall that?  I can't find it yet, but am still looking for it.  Please, please correct me if this is a "false" memory on my part.  I don't want to start a rumor.

Oh, and a very good morning to all 

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1244 on: April 23, 2009, 12:01:11 PM »

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090423/A_NEWS/904230330

By Scott Smith
Record Staff Writer
April 23, 2009 6:00 AM
STOCKTON - Community members who want to observe Friday's court hearing for Melissa Huckaby of Tracy will have to win a seat through a lottery, San Joaquin County Superior Court Executive Officer Rosa Junqueiro said Wednesday.

"There is a larger number right now of interested parties that need to be in the courtroom," she said. "Certainly we can't accommodate everybody."

The court's unusual solution to a crowded courtroom drew some criticism for promoting a circus-like atmosphere.

Huckaby, 28, is expected to make her second court appearance for arraignment on charges she kidnapped, raped and murdered 8-year-old Sandra Cantu. Superior Court Judge Linda Lofthus will hear the case for the first time.

Hundreds turned out to search for Sandra after she was reported missing March 27, and thousands mourned her death after farm workers found her body stuffed in a black suitcase on April 6. In Huckaby's hearing last week, court officials had to turn away about 30 people, Junqueiro said.

Junqueiro asked members of the public who want into the courtroom to show up at 11 a.m. at Room 303 on the third floor before Friday's hearing to get a ticket. Court officials will give out the available seats in a noontime drawing. The hearing begins at 12:45 p.m. in Department 35.

The court is reserving seats for relatives of Sandra and Huckaby, Junqueiro said.

Patrick Piggott, a Stockton attorney and dean of the Humphreys College Laurence Drivon School of Law, said that the raffle system makes it feel a little like gambling and contributes to the "circus atmosphere."

"I've never heard of it, and I think it seems somewhat inappropriate," Piggott said. "There's no way to really do this fairly."

Contact reporter Scott Smith at (209) 546-8296 or ssmith@recordnet.com.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1245 on: April 23, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090423/A_NEWS/904230327

By Scott Smith
Record Staff Writer
April 23, 2009 6:00 AM
STOCKTON - Melissa Huckaby's trial on charges she raped and murdered 8-year-old Sandra Cantu won't be the first emotion-riddled case to play out before San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Linda Lofthus.

Lofthus teared up three years ago listening to testimony from the friend of a 22-year-old man stabbed to death in front of a bar. That led defense attorneys to say she showed bias against a pair Jus Brothers Motorcycle Club members convicted in the killing.

Lofthus, 56, also faltered in an emotional moment on the bench late last year while sentencing convicted serial killer William Jennings Choyce to death for murdering three prostitutes. It was the first capital murder case for Lofthus.

When Huckaby, 28, steps into Lofthus' courtroom Friday for the first time, she'll confront a judge who receives quiet criticism from some local attorneys and high praise from an unlikely place - the attorney of the only person she's ever sentenced to death.

"There's no doubt she'll work as hard as necessary," Choyce's Oakland-based attorney, Lorna Patton-Brown said of Lofthus, adding that the pressure of such a high-profile case will be punishing.

In Choyce's case, Lofthus didn't always rule in the defendant's favor, but Patton-Brown credited the judge with researching and reading every case brought before her.

Each morning, Lofthus greeted Choyce and treated him respectfully, said Brown, adding that she expects Lofthus to give Huckaby the same even-handed treatment.

"For doing such a difficult, hard and awful case, it was as pleasant as it possibly could be for us," Patton-Brown said.

Huckaby faces a potential death sentence on the murder charge with three special circumstances of kidnapping, rape with a foreign object and lewd and lascivious acts on a child younger than 14.

Local roots
Lofthus' roots in San Joaquin County run deep.

Raised locally, she lives in Lodi. She's the daughter of Ort Lofthus, who for years co-owned and managed Stockton AM radio station KJOY. Stockton's Crosstown Freeway is named after him.

Lofthus and her husband, attorney Michael Norton, have three children.

"She feels she's been very fortunate," Ort Lofthus said. "She's made a lot of her good fortune."

Linda Lofthus, a Democrat who drives a Volkswagen Beetle, is a child of the 1960s and attended California State University, Chico. As an attorney, she worked in the San Joaquin County Public Defender's Office before going into private practice.

"She is just fun to be with. She's always very interested in other people," said the elder Lofthus, obviously proud of his daughter's accomplishments.

Gov. Gray Davis appointed her to the Superior Court bench in 2003, the day before voters recalled him.

Her critics
Not all attorneys have been pleased with her rulings.

Three defense attorneys critical of Lofthus declined to comment for this story, each saying they didn't want to air their gripes with Lofthus in the public because they will inevitably appear before her again.

In addition to criticizing her crying in the 2006 biker trial, attorneys representing Jus Brother members Frankie Joe Prater and Robert Kenneth Memory accused the judge of accepting a gift from jurors who had already reached their verdicts.

The gift - a T-shirt signed by jurors - amounted to a simple gesture, Lofthus responded at the time. And, as for crying, she described it as discretely wiping her nose with a tissue as jurors left the courtroom.

"I deny that I have any bias or prejudice," Lofthus said in a written response at the time, stating she refused to step away from the case.

In the same written response, Lofthus said she wasn't intimidated when idling motorcycles outside her home woke her up at night. Her husband dialed 911 on a different night, seeing a motorcyclist drive across their lawn.

A Merced County judge appointed to review the allegations sided with Lofthus. California's Commission on Judicial Performance reports no public disciplinary action against her.

Lofthus has quickly asserted her authority over Huckaby's case. On Monday, she received the assignment, and the next day she imposed a gag order to silence the nonstop flow of information from various agencies working on the case.

From now on, every ruling and every facial expression will be scrutinized in Huckaby's case, which could take months or years to play out, said Stockton attorney Albert Ellis, adding that Lofthus is up to the challenge.

"She has the great ability to relate to people but knows how not to let her courtroom get away from her," Ellis said. "She knows her job and knows she's the one who has to be in control."

Lofthus worked in Ellis' law firm for a few years before branching out into her own practice, where she specialized in family law. Ellis said Lofthus tirelessly researches the law and has the patience to figure things out, even unfamiliar topics.

"I think the choice was well thought out by the powers that be in the courthouse," he said commenting on Lofthus' appointment to the case. "They usually give these to their best people and the people who work the hardest."

Contact reporter Scott Smith at (209) 546-8296 or ssmith@recordnet.com.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1246 on: April 23, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »

Thank you Wyks, for your very kind and thoughtful reply.  You brought up excellent points and explained them very well.  I was not aware of course, of any discussions in another forum.  So, I hear and understand what you're saying, and I DO agree.  Your post will be the last word on this (unless Melissa's defense DOES try to use it.  Yep, that would be interesting.)  Thanks again for making me (still) feel welcome.  I really appreciate it. 

This forum is a remarkable resource of references and deductive reasoning.  Wonder if the LE department in Tracy have thought of using it for tips and strategies?  They sure could benefit from it!   Better logic here than anything they've used over the last few months, for sure.

Like everyone else, I'm upset to hear how they botched up the other case with MH and that little seven year old girl.  I'm perplexed too at the fact that the little girl's mother walked home from the hospital.  That disturbs me.

I could see that possibly the police might not have allowed her to drive if she was intoxicated.  (Depending on her blood alcohol level it can take many hours, (more than you'd think) for the level to drop to a safe level.)  But still, it really bothers me that no one made sure she got home okay.  Even if it wasn't a LEGAL obligation on the part of the staff, (since she was not the patient,) there was still a moral obligation, imo. 

I worked ER for ten years and I can't imagine allowing someone to walk home, especially at night.  We always found a way to make sure intoxicated patients or visitors got home safely, even if it meant taking up a collection for cab fare from the staff.  And we ALL felt that way.  We weren't being do-gooders either; it was just the thing to do.     

We don't know the whole story though.  Maybe she, (and everyone else) thought she DID have a ride.  Perhaps she waited outside the hospital doors, and the person never showed.   Still, I'm having a hard time with it.

If the LE had just done their jobs that night, maybe the worst would not have happened.  But they didn't, and Sandra was murdered.  A little girl, just eight.  I keep seeing her skipping and swinging her arms in that video.  I want to STOP the video right there.  Tell her, "Sandra, run home right now!  Lock your door!!"  My mind will not go past that point in the video.  It shuts down, cuts off.   

I remember my own daughter at eight.  So many memories.  I can see her sitting in the backseat with her best friend, bursting into gales of laughter over anything.  Imitating voices on the radio, telling goofy jokes.  I remember the Christmas she was eight.  She got a karoake machine and serenaded us all day.   

She also loved to do "magic" tricks.  We were her captive audience while she studiously tried to figure out the next step.  We always clapped at the end.   

She jumped rope.  She skipped along... just like Sandra.  That's what eight year old girls do.  Eight becomes nine.  And they grow up, just like my daughter.  Something Sandra will never get to do.  I pray she went quickly.  That she didn't suffer a long time.   

God, help us all.  May there be justice for Sandra.

loved your post.....xxx

k9ohana
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1247 on: April 23, 2009, 01:38:26 PM »

She jumped rope.  She skipped along... just like Sandra.  That's what eight year old girls do.  Eight becomes nine.  And they grow up, just like my daughter.  Something Sandra will never get to do.  I pray she went quickly.  That she didn't suffer a long time.   

God, help us all.  May there be justice for Sandra.

loved your post.....xxx

Fantastic statement. The entire post was great but this paragraph is perfection.

My Dad always told me "If you're not part of the solution, You're part of the problem".
So which is it, solution or problem?
lonemonkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1248 on: April 23, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »

AZSunny, Thank you for bring up the 3 parks again.  That has really been bugging me.  I can't figure out why she would have to go to 3 different parks in a few hours time.  Maybe it is notihing, but it feels sinister to me.

And where is Madison now?  Is she back from her "vacation"?  Her father said in his interview that she was "safe". 

I thought I heard or read (one time only) the term "protective" custody used regarding Madison.  Does anyone else recall that?  I can't find it yet, but am still looking for it.  Please, please correct me if this is a "false" memory on my part.  I don't want to start a rumor.

Forgive me if this has already been cleared up!
MH says:

Here's the LINK for the MH Interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkbjqccDiIo

"I had taken her to the park for the 3rd time that week."
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1249 on: April 23, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »

Good Morning, and thanks JessStar for the info, much appreciated. I'm curious if more people are going to come forward that their child spent time with Melissa, not only in No CA, but So CA as well. Something tells me there are other children. But the problem for some of these parents might be they don't want their child involved, to protect the child, or whatever reason they may have.

I seem to recall reading a comment from Sheneman a few days ago that they were talking to at least 2 other parents.  I'll see if I can drum up the article.

I must be mistaken because I can't find the article.  Sorry.  I could have sworn, though, that I read that somewhere.  They may have been referring to Polk.

I know LE were asking parents to come forward, maybe some did, but don't want it to be public, which I can't blame them. I wondered also if the little girl mentioned to her mother if there was someone else at the park with them that day?
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1250 on: April 23, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »

Patrick Piggott, a Stockton attorney and dean of the Humphreys College Laurence Drivon School of Law, said that the raffle system makes it feel a little like gambling and contributes to the "circus atmosphere."

"I've never heard of it, and I think it seems somewhat inappropriate," Piggott said. "There's no way to really do this fairly."  It does seem very odd, but really what other way can you do this to make it fair?
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1251 on: April 23, 2009, 01:56:46 PM »

MH says:

Thank you lonemonkey.  I think this is where I got confused:

"Polk said her daughter barely remembers that day. She did tell her mom that Huckaby took her to three parks and gave her the strange-tasting water, Polk said. The girl doesn’t remember the hospital visit, or her overnight stay with Child Protective Services."

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1252 on: April 23, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »

"I've never heard of it, and I think it seems somewhat inappropriate," Piggott said. "There's no way to really do this fairly."  It does seem very odd, but really what other way can you do this to make it fair?

I agree, I've heard of the lottery system in courtrooms where there is not enough room to accommodate everyone, so don't know what other system they could use.  Also, with the gag order, will they allow a camera for this one?  Anyone know?

AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1253 on: April 23, 2009, 02:04:56 PM »

MH says:

I know MH said she had taken her to the park for the 3rd time that week, but I thought the mother of the girl taken in January said that the daughter told her that MH had taken her to 3 parks that day, and had stopped at McDonald's and got her some water that tasted like medicine.  Perhaps I misunderstood.  I think it was on the video on Blinks site. 

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
lonemonkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1254 on: April 23, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »

MH says:

I know MH said she had taken her to the park for the 3rd time that week, but I thought the mother of the girl taken in January said that the daughter told her that MH had taken her to 3 parks that day, and had stopped at McDonald's and got her some water that tasted like medicine.  Perhaps I misunderstood.  I think it was on the video on Blinks site. 

Maybe MH DID say that, too!
Listen to her try to explain away the suitcase and the incident in Jan. with the other girl from the MHP.

At least we get to hear 1 interview with her.  Now, that there is a gag order it will be harder to find info.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1255 on: April 23, 2009, 02:46:14 PM »

I've been in the other threads.

Welcome Lonemonkey!
lonemonkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1256 on: April 23, 2009, 02:50:12 PM »

Maybe it's just ME, Monkeys....
But isn't eerie in an almost KC sort of way, the way in which MH explains (lies) about what happened????  Such ease with lying....I imagine she has been lying for a LONG time.

Hey...
I bet MH and KC....
recognizing themselves as soulmates, may just very well become pen pals (sarcastic comment, sorry).... 
CCCRRRRAAAAZZZZYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS
Me wonders about possible child porn with KC (Caylee)...
This video just weirds me out to no end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why does she zoom in on Caylee's crotch?????  Watch starting at 1:28
LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=807kMNkVl0k
Catbert
Scared Monkey

Catbert the Monkey Lover

« Reply #1257 on: April 23, 2009, 03:21:04 PM »

Monkeys I am confused

http://www.kron4.com/News/ArticleView/tabid/298/smid/1126/ArticleID/1165/reftab/36/t/Tracy-Church-Resumes-Weekly-Service/Default.aspx

TRACY (KRON) – The Clover Road Baptist Church, where police say eight-year-old Sandra Cantu may have been killed, is resuming its normal service schedule.

The pastor at the church is the grandfather of Melissa Huckaby, who is charged with one count of murder with three special circumstances: kidnapping, rape with a foreign object and lewd or lascivious conduct with a child under 14.

Just two miles away from the church is the mobile home park where Huckaby lived with her daughter and Sandra lived with her mom and grandparents.

Before Wednesday’s service, church members could be seen walking into the main entrance, greeted by Pastor Lane Lawless.

Lawless did not want media inside the church and gave a curt response when asked how the church is doing, “Uh, I have nothing to say, period.”

Sandra was reported missing March 27th. Her remains were found ten days later in a large black suitcase that floated to the surface of a nearby irrigation pond.

Stay with KRON 4 and KRON4.com for all the latest news in the Sandra Cantu murder case

I was under the impression Clover Road Baptist had not had regular services in quite some time

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow A Mystery
Today is a Gift
that

is why we call it the PRESENT
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1258 on: April 23, 2009, 03:42:59 PM »

Monkeys I am confused

http://www.kron4.com/News/ArticleView/tabid/298/smid/1126/ArticleID/1165/reftab/36/t/Tracy-Church-Resumes-Weekly-Service/Default.aspx

TRACY (KRON) – The Clover Road Baptist Church, where police say eight-year-old Sandra Cantu may have been killed, is resuming its normal service schedule.

The pastor at the church is the grandfather of Melissa Huckaby, who is charged with one count of murder with three special circumstances: kidnapping, rape with a foreign object and lewd or lascivious conduct with a child under 14.

Just two miles away from the church is the mobile home park where Huckaby lived with her daughter and Sandra lived with her mom and grandparents.

Before Wednesday’s service, church members could be seen walking into the main entrance, greeted by Pastor Lane Lawless.

Lawless did not want media inside the church and gave a curt response when asked how the church is doing, “Uh, I have nothing to say, period.”

Sandra was reported missing March 27th. Her remains were found ten days later in a large black suitcase that floated to the surface of a nearby irrigation pond.

Stay with KRON 4 and KRON4.com for all the latest news in the Sandra Cantu murder case

I was under the impression Clover Road Baptist had not had regular services in quite some time
I thought that also. I know they had a service on Easter. Hard for me to imagine going to the church, after what happened there. The handful of people that go there, the pastor might as well have the service in his mobile home.
Catbert
Scared Monkey

Catbert the Monkey Lover

« Reply #1259 on: April 23, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow A Mystery
Today is a Gift
that

is why we call it the PRESENT
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.