March 28, 2024, 09:59:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandra Cantu #3 4/15/09 -4/27/09  (Read 442386 times)
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #960 on: April 21, 2009, 01:03:30 AM »

That PD is eff'd up.
Huckaby should have been charged right there and then and not allowed to have any contact with children. Her own included.
Did they do any tests on the pale and sickly child that was MH's. They could still do hair analysis. 
If a neighbour or anyone takes a child to park or anywhere and doesn't let the parents know about it and then the kiddo has drugs in their system, isn't that kidnapping and assault ?
Why did MH get a pass on that one ?

That is the million dollar question. Why did the police drop the ball on this and treat it as just another day at the office (or mobile home park)
If you want to know why I think this was not reported or handled properly or why so many crimes are handled this way, Well it all goes back to Tracy being named the 2nd safest cities in Northern California and the money that would bring to the city. Low crime equals more home sales, which means more city revenue. 
Serenity7
Scared Monkey

« Reply #961 on: April 21, 2009, 01:15:43 AM »

Let's not put the cart before the horse on the issue of exhuming Sandra.  The defendant has a burden to meet--that of proving that a second exam is necessary--and she needs to be put to that burden.  She doesn't get it just because she asks or makes CONCLUSORY statements that it's material to her defense.  If it's material, she needs to tell the court why.

The question is whether any of that evidence (ie of others being involved) existed in the first place.  If it did, the ME would have found it and documented it.  Medical COD exams are not like going to the doctors and getting a medical exam.  They are VERY intrusive and everything is documented photographically and oftentimes videoed as well.  If the defense can make a strong showing justifying a second exam, then so be it.  But one would be hard pressed to make the argument that, considering the passage of time, the evidence somehow has gotten better that it was when the ME performed the exam.  Keep in mind, also, that the defense has not asked to exhume the body for the purpose of proving that MH didn't do it and that someone else did.  They've asked to look to, in essence, confirm they also see what the ME saw.  That is complete BS.  I agree that, as an American, we have the right to defend ourselves against claims like this.  But that doesn't mean we get everything we ask for just for the asking.  There are rules that apply and standards that have to be met and, based on he judge's ruling, MH didn't meet it.  I find it VERY telling that, here it is Monday evening, and despite the emergency nature of the motion, no appeal has been taken.  If I was handling this case, you bet your rear that if this issue was vitally important to my client's case, I would have found a judge to hear it, even if that meant going to the appellate courts.

Please keep something else in mind.  The ME is not part of this investigation.  He was not aware of the direction the investigation was taking.  He was not aware of suspects or POIs.  He was not aware of prosecution theories.  He was asked to do a COD determination and examine the body for trauma, etc., and that's what he did.  So why a second examine is needed--an exam by an expert HIRED BY MH for the specific purpose of calling the ME's report into question!!!!!!--is beyond me.

I think it ought to be a relatively easy burden to meet. I'm not a forensic examiner, nor knowledgeable about the criminal investigation of bodies...so I'll pretend that I do know about these things by bringing up folksy analogies from my own experience.

So I'm watching Monsterquest one night  .  And they get on the issue of "Why do we never find a Bigfoot body?" The naysayers say, "That's right...no body proves it doesn't exist." The yessayers say, "The bodies decompose so fast you can't find the things cause nothing is left." As an experiment, the yessayers lay out a deer killed in a road accident, stake it down with wire, leave it in the woods and then timelapse photograph it to see how long it takes for decomposition to take place.

Before I saw it decompose, I'd thought "Two or three months". I was way wrong. It was down to bare bones in 7 days.

Sandra was in water for 10 days. Or at least in a suitcase. I don't know what this will do to a body. I don't know anything about the circumstances of the area. Was it a waterproof suitcase? Was there predation from fish, bacteria or other animals? What other factors might have contributed to her body breaking down? I don't know. But I suspect that the defense might like to know this. Because....folksy wisdom again....I did notice that one thing which happened to the dead Bigfoot deer was that it bloated up enormously after death. Gases inside the human body. I'm assuming that this bloating creates quite a bit of internal pressure. It seemed to on the deer I saw. So does this bloating create tears, rips, or other signs on the body...including private parts? Does having the body confined inside of a suitcase contribute to lascerations from metal bindings and other hard areas of the suitcase? I frankly don't know. However...a quick search of the internet finds quite a few "hits" on "decomposition water bloating genitals"..without the quotes. Including this page...http://www.enotes.com/forensic-science/drowning-signs

One section I'd like to quote here:
Immersion of a body in water causes certain characteristic changes that are not necessarily signs of drowning. The skin on the palms and soles becomes white and wrinkled. A similar effect is seen on the tips of the fingers in someone who has their hands in water for extended periods of time. After a few days in water, this macerated skin will begin to separate, and after about a week, it will peel off from the body.

There may also be some evidence of decomposition when a body is pulled from water, although this occurs more slowly than it would on land. After about two weeks in water, the rest of the skin and the hair are sloughed, and the face, abdomen, and genitals become bloated with the gases of decomposition. This results in most bodies eventually floating to the surface, unless they have been weighted down to avoid discovery. Predators, such as fish and reptiles, will tend to prey on a corpse in water and this will accelerate decomposition. The body may also knock against objects in the water such as boats, piers, and rocks, and this may cause postmortem injury.

But if you are correct...and the Medical examiner has NO CONTACT with the prosecution or investigators on the case in regard to discussing his findings...then he would NOT be there to explain to the prosecutor what his findings meant. You seem to be saying that he might simply report that he noticed that there were "rips around the genital area" as part of his ME's report. If I understand you, it then becomes up to the prosecutor to decide what this means..since as you say the ME is only reporting what he notices and not actively involved in the investigation.

So I think that MH's defense team might very well want to examine the body to determine if "rips around the genital area" looks like normal decomposition stresses that would be recognizable to another ME, or if they are signs of some sort of assault, but either of which might not be understood in a report by a prosecutor who is under enormous pressures to pile on as many heinous charges as he can...and which could then be dropped later during the trial if they prove to be unsupported.

So after ten days in the water, assuming she was,...just what WAS there left to examine? And how often is the ME of Tracy, CA asked to examine child bodies left in water for signs of sexual abuse? At a minimum, if I was the defense, I would like to have a forensic expert in sexual trauma to be called in. Sadly I'm sure we have plenty of people in this country who have this experience.

But I would think the prosecution might welcome an expert also. I don't understand why the prosecution would object to this if they had some safeguards on the forensic examiner selected. In this type of case, I'm certain some very high profile people with exemplary reputations would volunteer their services.
Serenity7
Scared Monkey

« Reply #962 on: April 21, 2009, 01:47:10 AM »

Maybe they thought this girl got ahold of the drugs by accident?

The police may have thought it was just a hospital error. Or that the readings may have been the result of some medication given by the girls mother for some other ailment. Or that the hospital was getting a "false positive" and that there nothing to it.

Someone else posted something about Benzodiazepines showing up after dental work and that they might linger or even build up in someones system. And some internet posts were questioning whether Nexium produces a false positive. So a kid with acid reflux who had been to the dentist recently who's been slipping pills out of her mothers cabinet might show up as having benzodiazepines in her system. 

But more likely MH slipped something to her. I notice that this girl was ALSO someone from within that same trailer park. Which reminds me of Hannibal Lector.
"How do we first learn to covet, Clarice?" Eventually Clarice realizes that Lector was saying that people first learn to covet things that they see every day around them.

Was this another child who played with her kid? Did MH dislike this second child for some reason? For myself, I'm still thinking jealousy. Seeing other kids MH may have perceived as having better clothes than her daughter, or who came from "better" family situations, or simply jealousy against others parents who seemed to have an easier time of it or for whatever reason might have festered in MH.

Can someone come up with a reason why MH would drug a child and then take her to the that park? In terms of overdosing someone, the park would probably be great for making something look like an accident. It seems like it would be a poor choice to sit on a park bench and commit a sexual assault though IMO. Our parks are too public for that sort of thing. And didn't they say she was on a park bench when they found her?
callie4u
Scared Monkey

« Reply #963 on: April 21, 2009, 02:14:01 AM »

Wasn't Sandra's birthday in March which would have made her 7 yrs. old in Jan.  Sure sounds like this previous incident involved Sandra then.  This is just so very sad if true because it would seem that would a been a huge scare for MH & her grandparents had to have knowledge of that incident in Jan. and yet it was never revealed.  Should have been investigated more thoroughly.  SO SAD

My opinion only,
Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #964 on: April 21, 2009, 08:38:37 AM »

That PD is eff'd up.
Huckaby should have been charged right there and then and not allowed to have any contact with children. Her own included.
Did they do any tests on the pale and sickly child that was MH's. They could still do hair analysis. 
If a neighbour or anyone takes a child to park or anywhere and doesn't let the parents know about it and then the kiddo has drugs in their system, isn't that kidnapping and assault ?

That is the million dollar question. Why did the police drop the ball on this and treat it as just another day at the office (or mobile home park)
If you want to know why I think this was not reported or handled properly or why so many crimes are handled this way, Well it all goes back to Tracy being named the 2nd safest cities in Northern California and the money that would bring to the city. Low crime equals more home sales, which means more city revenue. 

What bothers me is I DISTINCTTLY heard Sheneman say that NO OTHER PARENTS came forward with a complaing against Huckaby. That would be a lie; he would have definately known.
Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #965 on: April 21, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »

Wasn't Sandra's birthday in March which would have made her 7 yrs. old in Jan.  Sure sounds like this previous incident involved Sandra then.  This is just so very sad if true because it would seem that would a been a huge scare for MH & her grandparents had to have knowledge of that incident in Jan. and yet it was never revealed.  Should have been investigated more thoroughly.  SO SAD

My opinion only,

I truly thought the same thing until I heard the interview with the sister last night, it was not Sandra.
which, imo, just made this worse. This woman should NOT have been in a position to be with any kids, including her own.
How many times does this child have to be victimized exactly? Do we have a Richard Cain in Tracy?
B
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #966 on: April 21, 2009, 08:49:08 AM »

WEBSITE BLOCKED
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:30:12 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #967 on: April 21, 2009, 08:54:10 AM »

Why did the judge step down? thoughts anyone?
I can not believe that when this other child was drugged, that someone was not questioned in this...the child would be old enough to tell what happened to her and who took her to the park...this is not making sense that the police did not follow up on this.....huge, huge mistake...If the police would have even questioned MH about this, the neighbors would have gotten wind of it perhaps and would have told their children to stay away from this woman? and then perhaps, Sandra's family would not have allowed her to be in this woman's company....things could have been different ....if only.....

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #968 on: April 21, 2009, 08:55:06 AM »

ooops,  that ^^^^^^^ is not the one I wanted to post. 

Here is the name of the forensic pathologist that the defense wants:

----snippped---

In his motion, Behar wrote that a second autopsy, which would be conducted by Dr. Terri Haddix, a forensic pathologist hired by the defense, was "extremely crucial and material to Ms. Huckaby's defense."

http://www.modbee.com/1618/story/673675.html

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #969 on: April 21, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »

http://www.kcra.com/news/19236354/detail.html

Judge Recuses Self In Cantu Case
No Explanation Given For Move
POSTED: 10:40 pm PDT April 20, 2009
UPDATED: 10:58 pm PDT April 20, 2009

STOCKTON, Calif. -- The judge in the case of a Northern California woman charged with murdering and raping an 8-year-old girl has recused himself from the case.

The San Joaquin County Superior Court's presiding judge issued a brief statement Monday, saying only that, "The Honorable Terrence Van Oss has recused himself." No explanation was given for the move.

Superior Court Judge Linda Lofthus will take up the case Friday. That's when Melissa Huckaby's public defender, Sam Behar, is expected to ask to remove Sandra Cantu's remains from the Tracy Mausoleum for a second autopsy.

Huckaby is charged with one count of murder with three special circumstances: kidnapping, rape with a foreign object and lewd or lascivious conduct with a child under 14.
flossy
Monkey Junky

Got milk?

« Reply #970 on: April 21, 2009, 09:32:43 AM »

Sorry if I've missed this, but does anyone actually believe that MH had this other girl at the park for 3 hours?  I sure don't. 

I have a strong feeling that they were at the church.  If not the church, I'm sure they were somewhere else where they shouldn't have been. 

Just can't think of any other reason why she would be drugging this child.

If it's not one thing, it's an udder.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #971 on: April 21, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »

Sorry if I've missed this, but does anyone actually believe that MH had this other girl at the park for 3 hours?  I sure don't. 

I have a strong feeling that they were at the church.  If not the church, I'm sure they were somewhere else where they shouldn't have been. 

flossy, now that you mention it, 3 hours would be a long time to have a child at a park especially if she was drugged..were the police called since this child would have been missing for that long?

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #972 on: April 21, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

No, I don't, and perhaps someone at the park that day might come forward and say yes I saw Melissa there with two kids. I'm assuming that Melissa' child was along, does anyone know if she was or wasn't along?
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #973 on: April 21, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »

No, I don't, and perhaps someone at the park that day might come forward and say yes I saw Melissa there with two kids. I'm assuming that Melissa' child was along, does anyone know if she was or wasn't along?

I agree with ya'll....I don't think they were at the park for that long.  What good would it do a preditor to drug their victim and just have them in the park?  What an awful thought. 

I am thinking church as well.  I certainly hope that LE or the FBI test the cot they took away.  Could this other child's DNA be present on it?

Something else that has bothered me.  Melissa's child was whisked away before she was arrested.  It seems strange to me - too much of a coincedence. 

Could she have been taken away to "clean out" her system of any drugs.  Did the family think that LE would test her for drugs?  Did they know drugs would be in her system as well and took her away so she would not be tested?

Were they afraid the little girl might be interviewed by LE and tell what she knows? 

I don't buy the story that the trip with MH's daughter was preplanned.  I think this little girl needs to be interviewed.  They have specially trained people to do this.

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #974 on: April 21, 2009, 10:16:48 AM »

That PD is eff'd up.

What bothers me is I DISTINCTTLY heard Sheneman say that NO OTHER PARENTS came forward with a complaing against Huckaby. That would be a lie; he would have definately known.

That's true Blink, he did say that.  And since he seems to have been trying to hide this complaint against Huckaby, makes me wonder if there are any more being covered up, hidden, not mentioned.   

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #975 on: April 21, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »

Now there are three different reports as to how/where that 7 yr old was found.   

She was in a park for about four hours before being returned to her home.
She was found in a field.
She was found on a park bench.

Wonder which is the REAL story?  Can't be all three. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #976 on: April 21, 2009, 10:49:08 AM »

Good question, Rosie!  It would sure be hinky if Melissa had taken someone else's child to the park 'to play' but left her own child at home.

Am thinking Melissa's daughter and the neighbor girl was taken somewhere (not the park) and whatever went on, happened to both girls.  If this was done for child porn pics/video, could be that Melissa's child has been subjected to this for many years. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #977 on: April 21, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »

I agree with ya'll....I don't think they were at the park for that long.  What good would it do a preditor to drug their victim and just have them in the park?  What an awful thought. 

I am thinking church as well.  I certainly hope that LE or the FBI test the cot they took away.  Could this other child's DNA be present on it?

Something else that has bothered me.  Melissa's child was whisked away before she was arrested.  It seems strange to me - too much of a coincedence. 

Could she have been taken away to "clean out" her system of any drugs.  Did the family think that LE would test her for drugs?  Did they know drugs would be in her system as well and took her away so she would not be tested?

Were they afraid the little girl might be interviewed by LE and tell what she knows? 

I don't buy the story that the trip with MH's daughter was preplanned.  I think this little girl needs to be interviewed.  They have specially trained people to do this.

I agree Kimmy!  And yes, too much of a coinkydink that Melissa's daughter was whisked away so quickly.  I don't for a minute buy what was reported that they had plans made beforehand.  Am thinking that's exactly why she was taken away so quickly, to clean her system from whatever she has been given lately.  Wonder how long it would take to do that with a child?  And wonder if any of this has occured to LE and if they've even gone after her yet?  IMO, Melissa's daughter needs an immediate and thorough medical exam.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #978 on: April 21, 2009, 11:08:17 AM »

Now there are three different reports as to how/where that 7 yr old was found.   

She was in a park for about four hours before being returned to her home.
She was found in a field.
She was found on a park bench.

Wonder which is the REAL story?  Can't be all three. 

Not only, what is the real story, but I may have missed it, who found the child? Pieces of the puzzle is missing in this incident. I wonder if Melissa took this child before to the park? And another thing, I thought that Sandra was the only child to play with Melissa's child?
Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #979 on: April 21, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »

That PD is eff'd up.

Ok, I went back, it is hair splitting I agree, but the comment was in reference to any allegations of inappropriate contact or similar abuse. I guess in fairness, he did not consider this the same. Let me tell you something- the Cantu family sure as hell will, and I dont blame them.

That's true Blink, he did say that.  And since he seems to have been trying to hide this complaint against Huckaby, makes me wonder if there are any more being covered up, hidden, not mentioned.   

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.