March 28, 2024, 03:32:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #35 4/15/09 - 4/20/09  (Read 100177 times)
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #960 on: April 20, 2009, 07:08:07 PM »

Oh, mytime.....I forgot to ask.....do your nieces say you 'tawk' funny?     

My bro has lived in FL since he went to college.  He doesn't sound like us here, anymore, either.   

Oh yes, and they say pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd.   

But I have caught myself using "aint." 
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #961 on: April 20, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »

My friend from NJ says 'Cawfee" 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #962 on: April 20, 2009, 07:16:38 PM »

Oh, mytime.....I forgot to ask.....do your nieces say you 'tawk' funny?     

My bro has lived in FL since he went to college.  He doesn't sound like us here, anymore, either.   

Oh yes, and they say pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd.   

But I have caught myself using "aint." 

They sound like my cousins in MA.   "ain't" isn't really in my vocabulary, unless I'm trying to be funny, but there are some on hubby's side who tend to use it on occasion, as well as locals who were raised with it being part of their family dialogue, I presume. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #963 on: April 20, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »

That's what I drink in the morning.     

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #964 on: April 20, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »

2NJ - I didn't know you were a teacher.    

I am originally from the NorthEast too. My family teases me all the time about how I talk now.  Even my young neices say, Aunt Mytime, your English is terrible now.   

I am slowing turning into a Southerner. 

MT,  I acquired my teaching degree and certification long ago, but during that time teaching jobs were scarce.  I applied but didn't land a FT job, so I subbed and also worked at the office I had worked for all through college.  Ater a year or so of this, I was discouraged and decided to work for the office FT.  I stayed in business until I had my first child.  Later, I did go back to substitute teaching while they were in school.  I did this for 10 years.  Icing on the cake (while hubby's job had been eliminated) was that I applied for a permanent position while filling the position as a sub.  The interim principal hired a woman he knew from outside the district over me.  I was heart broken.  They later offered me a non-certified aid position, which I declined.  Within a month I was offered an office job and I took it.   Maybe I should have majored in business.  Always felt like a jack of all trades, master of none.   

aaww, I don't like that principal.   

I went to college to be a teacher and did change my major to business because I decided I didn't like kids that much. LOL

No, No, No - teachers were losing their jobs so I feared not getting  hired after I graduation.  I did get a great job after college with my Business Major so I have never really regretted it. 

Speaking of needing an edit button.   
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #965 on: April 20, 2009, 07:23:25 PM »

OK here are my questions for any English Majors or Teachers.

Is it neice or niece?

Is it height or heighth?

Is it realize or realise?

I will be anxioulsy waiting a reply.   
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #966 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25:28 PM »

yuppp!
Do you have the lock???

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #967 on: April 20, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »

That principal that didn't hire me was exactly what I said....an interim principal.  He was hired to fill in for the real principal who was out for surgery.  The real principal knew me and I think I would have had a better shot at the job.   Guess I just wasn't in the right place at the right time.  Or better yet, it's not what you know, it's who you know.   Victim of circumstance.....whatever.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #968 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »

niece   height   realize

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #969 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:51 PM »

yuppp!
Do you have the lock???

I'll take it if you're offering.   

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #970 on: April 20, 2009, 07:30:17 PM »

KKKKKKKKKKK...... all yourssss 
Laterrrrrr monksss

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #971 on: April 20, 2009, 07:35:26 PM »

That principal that didn't hire me was exactly what I said....an interim principal.  He was hired to fill in for the real principal who was out for surgery.  The real principal knew me and I think I would have had a better shot at the job.   Guess I just wasn't in the right place at the right time.  Or better yet, it's not what you know, it's who you know.   Victim of circumstance.....whatever.

My Dad was acting Chief of Police and never thought he would get the job as Chief of Police because there were so many applicants with more experience, higher degrees, etc so he asked for everything under the sun: Raise, Retroactive pay, etc.  And they gave him the job!!  It was a definitely a case of who you know.   

He was a Police Officer for 46 years before he retired.  Now my daughter wants to be a police officer.    I am hoping she changes her mind, there is still plenty of time.
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #972 on: April 20, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »

niece   height   realize

We are 2 out of three. 

I learned it was neice.  Everyone I know says heighth and now news articles spell realize with an "s" - realise?   

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #973 on: April 20, 2009, 07:41:25 PM »

My Dad was acting Chief of Police and never thought he would get the job as Chief of Police because there were so many applicants with more experience, higher degrees, etc so he asked for everything under the sun: Raise, Retroactive pay, etc.  And they gave him the job!!  It was a definitely a case of who you know.   

He was a Police Officer for 46 years before he retired.  Now my daughter wants to be a police officer.    I am hoping she changes her mind, there is still plenty of time.

My husband's brother was a detective and his step-dad, Chief.  One of our sons has wanted to be an officer, but they're not really hiring a lot now and with veteran's preference, he'd be lower on the list.  He's a dispatcher in another county.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #974 on: April 20, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »

niece   height   realize

We are 2 out of three. 

I learned it was neice.  Everyone I know says heighth and now news articles spell realize with an "s" - realise?   

Don't get me started, again.   

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #975 on: April 20, 2009, 07:48:20 PM »

Here in NJ, most departments require a civil service test before you get on their list (providing you score well, that is).  Other departments that don't have their own 'Chief's Test', which they grade, etc.  Many now do prefer at least an Associate's Degree.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #976 on: April 20, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »

Here in NJ, most departments require a civil service test before you get on their list (providing you score well, that is).  Other departments that don't have their own 'Chief's Test', which they grade, etc.  Many now do prefer at least an Associate's Degree.

My Dad said in the end - they wanted a BS degree.  Of course, his Lieutenant's son got a job there and I know he never went to college. 
Bud's Girl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #977 on: April 20, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »

niece   height   realize

We are 2 out of three. 

Hi MT

niece 

height     

realize and realise are both correct spellings

The naked truth is always better than the best dressed lie.
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #978 on: April 20, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »

niece   height   realize

We are 2 out of three. 

Hi MT

niece 

height     

realize and realise are both correct spellings

HI BG!!   

Glad you are to help close this thread. 

Google neice, please.   
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #979 on: April 20, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »

My Dad said in the end - they wanted a BS degree.  Of course, his Lieutenant's son got a job there and I know he never went to college. 

Well, my FIL didn't have one and while living would argue that a piece of paper doesn't make the cop, but now, my son has several friends who are officers and they all have degrees or some college behind them. 

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.