March 28, 2024, 04:35:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandra Cantu #4 4/27/09 -  (Read 517097 times)
doubledecker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #820 on: August 01, 2009, 09:52:16 PM »

just catching up here. 

hmmm

Legal experts have suggested prosecutors took it to a grand jury, where proceedings are always secret, to quiet the public interest in an attempt to prevent moving the trial out of San Joaquin County.

I really hope that is the reason. 
I haven't seen cali do too many grand juries. 

To find me:
click the globe to the left, under my name
mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #821 on: August 02, 2009, 12:03:50 AM »

just catching up here. 

hmmm

Legal experts have suggested prosecutors took it to a grand jury, where proceedings are always secret, to quiet the public interest in an attempt to prevent moving the trial out of San Joaquin County.

I really hope that is the reason. 
I haven't seen cali do too many grand juries. 
she is involved regardless...the note, the suitcase, the 2nd note....on one hand i can see her being the only one there..really, would not shock me, but on the other i can see her covering...yuck.  so not cool, and yuck again.

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
Tina Bee
Scared Monkey

Hassani Campbell *Still Missing*

« Reply #822 on: August 02, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »

Just wanted you all to see this...O/T / sort of.... 
Woman Charged With Rape Of 9-Year-Old Girl
Police: Victim's Grandparents Knew Of Allegations Months Before They Surfaced
http://www.4029tv.com/news/20197416/detail.html

This world is getting worse and worse everyday.

Yes, Tina Bee, worse and worse everyday:

ktla.com /news/landing/ktla-daughter-cliff-death,0,3239187.story

KTLA
Prosecutor: Dad Tossed Daughter Off Cliff to Avoid Child Support
KTLA News

July 28, 2009

LOS ANGELES -- A father charged with killing his 4-year-old daughter nine years ago is accused of tossing the girl off a 120-foot cliff to avoid paying child support.

Deputy District Attorney Craig Hum made those allegations against 47-year-old Cameron Brown Monday during opening statments in Brown's murder retrial in downtown Los Angeles.

Brown was charged with one count of murder and the special circumstance allegations of murder while lying in wait and murder for financial gain in the death of Lauren Sarene Key in November 2000.

Brown, a former American Airlines baggage handler, has pleaded not guilty and faces life in prison without parole if convicted.

Hum said that Brown killed Lauren because he didn't want to pay about $1,000 a month in child support.

Defense attorney Pat Harris countered that it was an accident when the girl fell from Inspiration Point in Rancho Palos Verdes.

The girl's mother, 40-year-old Sarah Key-Marer, took the witness stand to describe her relationship with Brown before and after the birth of her daughter.

Key-Marer said her dating life with Brown was fun and normal, yet took a downward turn when she accidentally became pregnant. She said Brown had no interest in becoming a father. The two, who met in the fall of 1995, split up in early 1996.

After Brown learned Key-Marer, was pregnant with Lauren, he first wanted her to have an abortion and then sought a paternity test that eventually proved he was the father, Hum said.

Only when forced to pay child support, Brown requested to see his daughter -- about three years after she was born, Hum said.

Soon after, Brown filed for joint custody and a reduction in child support.

Key-Marer said the meetings between Lauren and her father went well at first. But, she said, she later grew concerned over Brown's irresponsible actions around their daughter coupled with the girl's increasing anxiety before each meeting.

Hum argued that Brown and Lauren went out to the cliff where nobody could see them, and he "hurled" her into the Pacific Ocean.

"This man picked up Lauren, whom he fathered but was never a father to, and threw her off a cliff into the water below," Hum said.

Harris gave a different account of his client's relationship with his daughter, insisting the case was nothing more than "character assassination." He dismissed the prosecution's contention that it was a "good-versus-evil" struggle between Brown and Key-Marer.

"It was two parents trying to work out arrangements so they could have a happy child," Harris said.

Harris said Brown carried a picture of Lauren in his wallet, gave her gifts and toasted with his friends when he learned he would get visitation rights. Two weeks before her death, Brown filed court documents seeking more visits with Lauren, Harris said.

"It doesn't make sense," he said.

Key-Marer testified that her daughter wouldn't share what she did with Brown and Lauren was upset the day she died once she learned Brown would pick her up at school.

"She said, 'No, no I don't want to see him today,"' Key-Marer said. "She was crying and I had trouble getting her out of the car seat."

In a wrenching moment, Key-Marer said after talking to her daughter on the phone she decided to leave work early and pick up Lauren. But she soon learned that Brown had arrived early and she wouldn't be able to get there in time.

A police detective later told her the horrible news that her daughter had died after falling from a cliff.

Brown's first trial in 2006 ended with jurors unable to agree on whether he had committed murder or manslaughter.

Both sides intend to call experts to give their opinions on how Lauren died. Jurors will also take a trip to the cliff to see where the alleged crime occurred.

Edit to add link per JessStar: http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-daughter-cliff-death,0,3239187.story   Thread for this case at Scared Monkeys: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5796.0

Now that is just HORRIBLE!
Tina Bee
Scared Monkey

Hassani Campbell *Still Missing*

« Reply #823 on: August 02, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »

Oh that's terrible! I hope that angel is promptly replaced.

Sandra's family has been through so much this passed year. They don't need this.

I agree Tina Bee.  Who would do such  a thing?

I visited your tribute to Sandra & it is beautiful.  Thank you for being here & sharing it with us.   an angelic monkey an angelic monkey

No problem. I made that tribute video just hours after hearing the news that Sandra Cantu's body had been found. I live close to Tracy, Ca and I have family members who are Sandra's age and I can't imagine what her family must be dealing even to this day.
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #824 on: August 03, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »

Well, if the media reports are accurate, the grand jury should be getting the case today. Everyone, please take a moment to say a prayer for Sandra, for a rock solid indictment, and for swift justice and exacting punishment.

God Bless You, Sandra.

Amen JessStar & Thank you.   an angelic monkey

Amen, Jess. Thank you.
Let's hope the next court hearing brings good news of an indictment. I am okay not knowing all the horrid details as long as it brings justice for Sandra.

God bless little Sandra.

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #825 on: August 03, 2009, 01:54:57 PM »

Well, if the media reports are accurate, the grand jury should be getting the case today. Everyone, please take a moment to say a prayer for Sandra, for a rock solid indictment, and for swift justice and exacting punishment.

God Bless You, Sandra.

Amen JessStar & Thank you.   an angelic monkey

Amen, Jess. Thank you.
Let's hope the next court hearing brings good news of an indictment. I am okay not knowing all the horrid details as long as it brings justice for Sandra.

God bless little Sandra.

And Amen to that, Pink Angel. 

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #826 on: August 04, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ADqmrUjViyU&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ADqmrUjViyU&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #827 on: August 04, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »

Sort of on-topic, given that this is the same court that will be deciding Melissa Huckaby's "fate." 

Now THIS is justice!  This guy will be 98 when he becomes eligible for parole.  I have only these words for this 23 year old dirt bag:  I hope it was worth it.

KCRA.com

Teaching Sub Gets 75 Years For Molesting Girls
San Joaquin Prosecutors: Girls Weren't Students

POSTED: 1:09 pm PDT August 4, 2009
UPDATED: 1:33 pm PDT August 4, 2009

STOCKTON, Calif. -- San Joaquin County prosecutors said a Bakersfield substitute teacher has been sentenced to 75 years to life in prison for molesting four girls.

A jury previously found 23-year-old Jeremy Eickenhorst guilty of committing lewd and lascivious acts on the girls ages 7 to 9. He was sentenced Monday.

Deputy District Attorney Robert Martinelli said two of the girls were from Tracy, one from Tulare and one from Bakersfield. None were Eickenhorst's students.

Martinelli said the abuse happened from 2004 to 2006.

School officials said Eickenhorst taught in the Lakeside, Richland and Norris districts in Bakersfield between January and April 2008. His teaching credentials were suspended in August 2008.

http://www.kcra.com/news/20279928/detail.html

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #828 on: August 04, 2009, 05:22:31 PM »

Sort of on-topic, given that this is the same court that will be deciding Melissa Huckaby's "fate." 

Now THIS is justice!  This guy will be 98 when he becomes eligible for parole.  I have only these words for this 23 year old dirt bag:  I hope it was worth it.

KCRA.com

Teaching Sub Gets 75 Years For Molesting Girls
San Joaquin Prosecutors: Girls Weren't Students

POSTED: 1:09 pm PDT August 4, 2009
UPDATED: 1:33 pm PDT August 4, 2009

STOCKTON, Calif. -- San Joaquin County prosecutors said a Bakersfield substitute teacher has been sentenced to 75 years to life in prison for molesting four girls.

A jury previously found 23-year-old Jeremy Eickenhorst guilty of committing lewd and lascivious acts on the girls ages 7 to 9. He was sentenced Monday.

Deputy District Attorney Robert Martinelli said two of the girls were from Tracy, one from Tulare and one from Bakersfield. None were Eickenhorst's students.

Martinelli said the abuse happened from 2004 to 2006.

School officials said Eickenhorst taught in the Lakeside, Richland and Norris districts in Bakersfield between January and April 2008. His teaching credentials were suspended in August 2008.

http://www.kcra.com/news/20279928/detail.html

See, Sandra, You are already making a difference.  Somehow I don't think the sentence would have been as harsh had it not been for You.  You have heightened awareness--at least in San Joaquin County.  You are, indeed, truly an Angel.  an angelic monkey

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #829 on: August 04, 2009, 10:35:47 PM »

thanks for the article Jess...God bless Sandra!

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #830 on: August 05, 2009, 01:04:42 AM »

At first I thought this was the tracy sub but it isn't. This is another sub out of Bakersfield. Well lets hope this will open the flood gates of harder sentances for these @#@#$#
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #831 on: August 05, 2009, 11:41:29 AM »

Tracygirl, I keep hoping to hear something from the grand jury that is it session.  I am praying it goes well for Sandra and her family.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #832 on: August 05, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »

The presentation to the grand jury likely ended last Friday. They now need to prepare a grand jury report, which in all likelihood will be in the form of an indictment. That will take some time for the gj to complete.

I'm praying hard for a rock-solid indictment. Given my strong belief that MH confessed (the only question being whether Sandra's death was accidental or not), I think an indictment is a given, and that the charge will be first degree homicide with special circumstances.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #833 on: August 05, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »

By the way, we may not hear anything until the 9/8 prelim. GJ proceedings are secret until the indictment becomes public at the prelim hearing.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #834 on: August 05, 2009, 12:24:18 PM »

That's interesting that you think MH confessed, I hope she did.
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #835 on: August 05, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »

The presentation to the grand jury likely ended last Friday. They now need to prepare a grand jury report, which in all likelihood will be in the form of an indictment. That will take some time for the gj to complete.

I'm praying hard for a rock-solid indictment. Given my strong belief that MH confessed (the only question being whether Sandra's death was accidental or not), I think an indictment is a given, and that the charge will be first degree homicide with special circumstances.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090801/A_NEWS/908010322/-1/NEWSMAP

STOCKTON - A criminal grand jury concluded its deliberations Friday afternoon in the case of Melissa Huckaby, a Tracy woman accused in the kidnapping, rape and murder of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu.

The grand jury's decision to indict her - or not - will remain secret unless Huckaby, 28, is brought back to court for arraignment. The indictment would take the place of charges San Joaquin County prosecutors filed against her after her April 10 arrest.

Huckaby's next hearing before San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Linda Lofthus is scheduled for Sept. 8.

For the past two weeks, witnesses have been called to testify before the grand jury. If they return an indictment, the case will next go to a trial in open court.

(article continues)

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #836 on: August 05, 2009, 07:11:05 PM »

thanks cece for posting that article.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #837 on: August 08, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »

http://www.tracypress.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Sandra+Cantu+playground+dedication+set+for+Friday%20&id=3114095

Sandra Cantu playground dedication set for Friday
by Jennifer Wadsworth
Aug 06, 2009

The family and classmates of 8-year-old murder victim Sandra Cantu will gather Friday morning to dedicate a new playground in the girl’s memory.

Tracy Unified School District Superintendent James Franco and Jacobson Elementary principal Cindy Sasser will speak at the 10 a.m. ceremony, which is closed to the public.

The $46,500 school playground was donated by Landscape Structures Inc. earlier this summer and built at Jacobson Elementary School, which Sandra attended before her March 27 disappearance.

On the play set is a sign marking it as the “Sandra Cantu Playground.” The structure — made up of two red slides and a tall tower — marks the third permanent memorial in Tracy to the slain first-grader.

In late May, a Southern California couple donated a hand-built pink-and-purple playhouse to the school in Sandra’s memory. And in June, Sen. Barbara Boxer donated a pink crepe myrtle, which the city planted yards away from Jacobson on West Kavanagh Avenue. A brass plaque with Sandra’s name and birth and death dates lies at the base of the sapling, which should grow for 20 more years and sprout pink blossoms in the spring. Pink was Sandra’s favorite color.

Sandra vanished from her home at Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park in late March. Her body turned up 10 days later stuffed inside a black suitcase. Police said one of Sandra’s neighbors, 28-year-old Melissa Chantel Huckaby, kidnapped, raped and killed the first-grader before dumping her body into an irrigation pond north of Tracy.

Huckaby, who pleaded not guilty to the charges, was arrested on April 10. A grand jury convened in July but no indictment has been handed down yet.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for next month.

(Link to slide show of the event):

http://www.tracypress.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Sandra+Cantu+playground+dedicated%20&id=3126432

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #838 on: August 08, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »

I am so glad the community has not only remembered Sandra, but continues to do so.  It warms my heart.  Thank you cece for updating.

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #839 on: August 09, 2009, 03:13:00 AM »

I am so glad the community has not only remembered Sandra, but continues to do so.  It warms my heart.  Thank you cece for updating.

Ditto!

It is heartwarming to see Sandra's community remember her and honor her life in so many ways. I am sure she is watching over them as they play in the playhouse and on the playground.....watching and smiling.

God Bless you Sandra.

Praying for an indictment and for justice.

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.