March 28, 2024, 03:31:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandra Cantu #4 4/27/09 -  (Read 517092 times)
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1080 on: December 07, 2009, 09:20:04 PM »

You are sweet Sister... an angelic monkey

Jess..how are ya? thanks for your knowledge and your dedication to the children... an angelic monkey

JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #1081 on: December 07, 2009, 10:29:03 PM »

Hi cookie. Doing well. Still working hard on Nevaeh's case. We've got a lot lot lot going on. Timing is rough with the holidays and I just started a 2 week trial which has me a bit preoccupied! After the turn of the year we'll be putting a lot more effort into the case. I keep praying for that one small piece of the puzzle that will break the case. It will come-it's just a matter of time.

Hope all is well with you and my fellow Monkeys.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1082 on: December 07, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »

Hi cookie. Doing well. Still working hard on Nevaeh's case. We've got a lot lot lot going on. Timing is rough with the holidays and I just started a 2 week trial which has me a bit preoccupied! After the turn of the year we'll be putting a lot more effort into the case. I keep praying for that one small piece of the puzzle that will break the case. It will come-it's just a matter of time.

Hope all is well with you and my fellow Monkeys.

all is well with me...I am blessed!
I am with you on praying about putting that puzzle together..the sooner the better!

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1083 on: December 13, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091213/A_NEWS/912130315#STS=g35xplg5.mfe

What are biggest stories of the year?
Cast your vote for what made headlines in 2009

December 13, 2009 12:00 AM

As 2009 winds down, it's natural to look back on the year and take stock. Resolutions are often born out of such thinking.

As are your thoughts on what were the biggest stories of the year.

Record editors have nominated 25 stories for consideration as the top 10 of the year. The Record staff will be voting for our top picks, and we'd like you to vote, too. We'll compare our selections with yours and between Christmas and New Year's we'll run synopses of our readers' top 10 stories.

To vote, go to: www.recordnet.com/topstories. Last day to vote is Dec. 22.

Here, in no particular order, are the top 25 stories.

» The mummy leaves The Haggin Museum after 65 years.

» Budget crises on all levels: state budget is delayed, forcing the issuance of IOUs and furloughs of state workers; the ripple effect hits virtually every entity in the state. County budgets are stretched, and Calaveras and San Joaquin have layoffs; Municipalities feel the pinch, and several San Joaquin County cities lay off police officers and firefighters; schools are squeezed, from San Joaquin Delta College to kindergarten (there are layoffs) and some school districts close smaller schools. Libraries see reduced hours and layoffs.

» Astronaut Jose Hernandez spends 14 days in space.

» Sandra Cantu is missing, her body is discovered in a dairy pond following days of searching; her mobile-home-park neighbor Melissa Huckaby is arrested and accused of kidnapping, raping and killing the girl.

» Superintendent Tony Amato falls from grace, in part because of Success for All and in part because of his leadership style. Stockton Unified trustees vote to fire him after just more than one year on the job. His brief tenure leads to recall campaigns and deeper rifts on the board.

» Longtime President Donald DeRosa retires at University of the Pacific; regents announce Pamela Eibeck as Pacific's first female president. DeRosa remains president emeritus.

» Superior Court Judge Cinda Fox is stabbed by murder suspect David Paradiso; a Lodi police detective shoots and kills him during the attack.

» San Joaquin County is selected as the site for a new Veterans Affairs hospital.

» Three state prisons are scheduled to open in Stockton: one re-entry facility and two health care centers.

» Calaveras County-elected leaders refuse to legalize the 280-acre Trinitas golf resort built without permits on farmland.

» The median price of a home in San Joaquin County bottoms out, and the slow ascent toward recovery begins. But foreclosures remain high, and in Stockton the Repo home tour bus gains national notice.

» Sports scene loses two well-known coaches: Charles Washington and John Thomas Verner.

» Richard Kibbe, the I-5 strangler, pleads guilty to six counts of murder in exchange for the prosecution taking the death penalty off the table. The septuagenarian receives a life sentence.

» The six-floor $109 million San Joaquin County Administration Building opens in downtown Stockton.

» Blair Ulring is named Stockton police chief, becoming Stockton's fourth police chief in five years.

» Construction begins on the $217 million Delta Water Supply Project, the largest public works project ever in Stockton. It is to pump water from the Delta to faucets here.

» Water issues: Congress approves restoring the San Joaquin River, the California Legislature passes a series of reform bills, and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger calls for a peripheral canal.

» The St. Mary's girls basketball team wins the state Division III championship.

» Emergency room Dr. Cleveland Enmon is accused of allowing a man to die in order to steal his Rolex.

» Two security guards at Park Village Apartments are slain while sitting in their cars during their shift.

» Lodi City Council votes to allow sectarian prayers before meetings.

» I-205 grows to six lanes wide through Tracy.

» Spanos Co. announces plans for The Preserve, a $2 billion, 1,800 acre green-housing development north of Eight Mile Road.

» Three adults eat poisonous mushrooms, one dies.

» A measurable amount of snow lands in Stockton for the first time in 30 years.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1084 on: December 13, 2009, 10:02:08 AM »

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091213/A_OPINION01/912130304/-1/A_OPINION#STS=g35xybf8.m07

It simply costs too much
Death penalty is not worth the money we spend

Complex criminal cases involving the death penalty take time. They should. For the state to take away a person's freedom is necessarily difficult; for the state to take away a person's life by execution should be nearly impossible.

Since 1978, California has executed 13 inmates (a 14th condemned by California and Missouri was executed in Missouri). Of that number, none were women. In fact, only four women were among the 513 people executed by the state since 1893.

So if it's hard for the state to get a man into the death chamber, it's been even harder to get a woman there. Women, of course, do not commit nearly as many capital crimes as men. Of the state's 685 condemned inmates today, only 16 are women.

San Joaquin County prosecutors want to make Melissa Huckaby the 17th.

On March 27, 8-year-old Sandra Cantu of Tracy disappeared. Days later, her body was found stuffed in a suitcase. Huckaby was arrested and stands accused of kidnapping, raping and murdering the child.

She is to go on trial in San Joaquin County Superior Court on Oct. 18, 2010 - 1 year, 6 months and 22 days after Cantu disappeared. No one can possibly suggest there will be a rush to judgment in this case any more than anyone can actually believe Huckaby will go on trial as scheduled 310 days from now.

Even once a person is sent to death row, they remain there an average of 17.5 years. They are more likely to die in their death row cell than in the death chamber. The 13 death row inmates from San Joaquin County have been there an average of 14.6 years, but a combined total of 191 years.

What this means in the Cantu case is that even if Huckaby is convicted - and she enjoys the presumption of innocence any of us would expect - and sentenced to death, her case will go on for years after her trial, conviction and sentencing. It takes years for the courts to certify the trial records, necessary before the required automatic appeal to the state Supreme Court can even begin. And even after a defendant exhausts all appeals to state courts, many cases then go to the federal courts for further review.

All of this gives new reality to the axiom, justice delayed is justice denied.

Clearly, California is not Texas, the state with the nation's busiest death chamber. Since 1978, the Lone Star State has put 447 people to death, including 24 this year. Three women were among those executed.

There are those who believe the death penalty system in California is broken. We are among them. Leaving aside the moral questions about state execution, this state's system without question is too slow and far too expensive.

Last year, the California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice - a 25-member group made up of prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement officials, academics and others - estimated that California could save $100 million a year by abolishing the death penalty in favor of a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. The state each year, the commission said, spends $138 million a year maintaining its death penalty system.

Can we really afford this? Can we really afford to spend tens of millions of dollars each year on a system that is only occasionally used? Can we really afford to spend this kind of money when we're firing teachers and police officers and furloughing thousands and thousands of state workers? When our state's infrastructure is falling apart? When our colleges and universities are being forced to limit enrollment? When health clinics are being closed?

Should we really be spending this much money on the worst of the worst?

The answer is no. We simply must let go of our need for retribution and face the reality that the system we have is too costly and too slow. We must let go of requiring our prosecutors to go through the charade of a capital case knowing all the while even if the defendant is found guilty and sentenced to die, in all likelihood that person will never see the inside of the death chamber?

We are not defending those convicted of society's most heinous crimes. We do not have a particular moral problem with the death penalty in such cases. We do think our system is broken beyond repair and that we should choose the path of 15 other states and the District of Columbia and abandon execution as a penalty.

Such people should simply be locked away and forgotten, including Melissa Huckaby should she be found guilty of kidnapping, raping and murdering 8-year-old Sandra Cantu.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1085 on: December 13, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime-Examiner~y2009m12d8-Sandra-Cantu-case-Trial-date-set-for-Melissa-Huckaby-in-murder-of-8yearold-girl

Sandra Cantu case: Trial date set for Melissa Huckaby in murder of 8-year-old girl
December 8, 7:56 PMCrime ExaminerCindy Adams

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1086 on: December 13, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1087 on: December 15, 2009, 11:36:15 PM »

Former Teacher Admits to Sexually Abusing 100 Children

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Carol Clarke, a woman described as a "predatory pedophile," has been given an indeterminate sentence for sexually abusing children, Sky news reported.

The former English teacher admitted to abusing about 100 children, saying she had committed attacks on both boys and girls of elementary school age.

The assaults were sometimes carried out after Clarke followed children into public bathrooms, Sky News reported.

A British Court announced that there was no evidence against Clarke apart from her own confession, Sky News reported.

A behavioral psychologist who examined the 46-year-old told the court that she had "most likely" offended in the way she described.

"This woman has, through most of her adult life, been confessing to various mental health professionals and to a senior minister in her church, that she was abusing children, that she had very unhealthy thoughts towards children, that she hated children," said Sky News correspondent Gerard Tubb.

"On one occasion she was asked if she would prefer to have treatment or go to the police."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580267,00.html?test=latestnews

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1088 on: December 16, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »

JessStar, oh! please set me straight.  I thought any professional ie health care, pastor are obliged to report such conversations?  Am I mistaken again?

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1089 on: December 16, 2009, 10:53:06 AM »

maybe the death penalty is too expensive...dunno..
what I do feel though is that we should not have to provide these prisoners with state of the art facilities with flat panel tvs..a recreation area that schools don't even have...flu shots/medical care before the average hard working citizens get if they can even afford health care! etc etc...I could go on and on...
if they get sick in prison, oh well....if they don't have access to tv..oh well...why do some of these prisoners get a life in prison that is better than the one that they had on the outside? I think that we shouldn't make prison so appealing to some of these criminals...3 squares a day, a roof over their heads, a social life playing ping pong, lifting weights, playing cards etc...it makes me sick how well some of these guys have it..meanwhile their victims families struggle every day with the life that they were left with from these idiots...

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1090 on: December 16, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »

what I do feel though is that we should not have to provide these prisoners with state of the art facilities with flat panel tvs..a recreation area that schools don't even have...flu shots/medical care before the average hard working citizens get if they can even afford health care! etc etc...I could go on and on...
if they get sick in prison, oh well....if they don't have access to tv..oh well...why do some of these prisoners get a life in prison that is better than the one that they had on the outside? I think that we shouldn't make prison so appealing to some of these criminals...3 squares a day, a roof over their heads, a social life playing ping pong, lifting weights, playing cards etc...it makes me sick how well some of these guys have it..meanwhile their victims families struggle every day with the life that they were left with from these idiots...

Yea 1/2 the country can't afford medical insurace because they are unemployed and struggling to stay in their home that is about to go into foreclosure. Meanwhile in your local prison anywhere in the US you will find free medical, dental and vision care! 3 hot meals per day, free education, free internet, free cable, free utilities, free access to attorneys... What is wrong with this picture? When your average american who has been honest and hard working all his/her adult life is leading a harder life then a rapist or murderer in prison, something is wrong.

Someone asked about Sandra's family and if they were still living in the trailer park. I have heard they moved out but that is not confirmed.
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1091 on: December 16, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »

JessStar, oh! please set me straight.  I thought any professional ie health care, pastor are obliged to report such conversations?  Am I mistaken again?

Hi sister.  The laws are different from state to state.  This particular matter was in the UK. I don't know what the law is there.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1092 on: December 16, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »

Yea 1/2 the country can't afford medical insurace because they are unemployed and struggling to stay in their home that is about to go into foreclosure. Meanwhile in your local prison anywhere in the US you will find free medical, dental and vision care! 3 hot meals per day, free education, free internet, free cable, free utilities, free access to attorneys... What is wrong with this picture? When your average american who has been honest and hard working all his/her adult life is leading a harder life then a rapist or murderer in prison, something is wrong.

Someone asked about Sandra's family and if they were still living in the trailer park. I have heard they moved out but that is not confirmed.

How true, Tracygirl.  What a sad state of affairs.  What kills me is that we're all working hard not only to make ends meet, but to provide these dirtbags their care-free lifestyle.  Our Constitution is being abused almost daily anymore through skewed intepretations by trial courts and appellate level decisions that are just ridiculous.  For prisons, it's being done all in the name of being free from cruel and unusual punishment. Yep, that means criminals are entitled to live as we're all entitled to live, but at our expense, of course. The only difference is that they're being detained for committing crimes against society.  Now we'll all get to pay for the 911 and Gitmo detainees to live high off the hog as well.  So dig deep into your pocket book so these people can have their TVs, healthcare, square meals, recreations, shelter, heat . . . Kinda gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?

mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1093 on: December 19, 2009, 11:20:25 PM »

How true, Tracygirl.  What a sad state of affairs.  What kills me is that we're all working hard not only to make ends meet, but to provide these dirtbags their care-free lifestyle.  Our Constitution is being abused almost daily anymore through skewed intepretations by trial courts and appellate level decisions that are just ridiculous.  For prisons, it's being done all in the name of being free from cruel and unusual punishment. Yep, that means criminals are entitled to live as we're all entitled to live, but at our expense, of course. The only difference is that they're being detained for committing crimes against society.  Now we'll all get to pay for the 911 and Gitmo detainees to live high off the hog as well.  So dig deep into your pocket book so these people can have their TVs, healthcare, square meals, recreations, shelter, heat . . . Kinda gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?

i agree...

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1094 on: December 22, 2009, 09:39:22 PM »

And then there is Arizona Sheriff..Joe Arpaio- he serves green balogna, prisoners live in tent city even when it is 115 here because the prisons are over loaded,  and he issues pink underwear. He has taken away  the majority of TV shows, and piped in interesting raido slots to enlighten the prisoners. .  Some love him, some hate him.  I say right on Joe!

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1095 on: December 25, 2009, 11:26:32 AM »

Merry Christmas to You, Sandra. You still hold a special place in my heart, and always will. God Bless You.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1096 on: December 25, 2009, 12:31:48 PM »

Merry Christmas to You, Sandra. You still hold a special place in my heart, and always will. God Bless You.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1097 on: December 30, 2009, 04:10:41 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:56:35 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1098 on: December 30, 2009, 04:13:54 PM »

http://www.tracypress.com/pages/full_story/push?article-2009-+Year+in+Review%20&id=5362818&instance=home_news_lead_story

2009: Year in Review
by TP staff
Dec 29, 2009

Tracy made nationwide news in 2009, but often for the wrong reasons. Throughout March and April, news vans were parked outside a mobile home park and outside City Hall as thousands searched for an 8-year-old girl who later turned up a suspected victim of rape and homicide. Gang violence escalated, resulting in drive-by shootings and two deaths. Meanwhile, many people in the area lost their homes to foreclosure as they were unable to make payments.

But there were signs of growth amid the darkness. Tracy’s newest high school, Kimball, opened with great fanfare in August. Interstate 205, which crosses through the northern part of town, was widened to six lanes, meaning fewer headaches for commuters. And the Tracy High School varsity football team dominated local competition and made a playoff run.

These stories, chosen by Tracy Press staff members, are the top 10 of the year:

1. Sandra Cantu is the first of 5 homicides

In the spring, Tracy was thrust into the national spotlight after 8-year-old Sandra Cantu was reported missing March 27. Her disappearance sparked an 11-day search that ended when her body was found in a suitcase in a drained dairy lagoon north of Tracy.

Melissa Huckaby, a Sunday school teacher who lived in the same mobile home park as Sandra and who admitted to losing a suitcase, was arrested. Huckaby is now involved in a death-penalty case, charged with the kidnapping, rape and murder of the 8-year-old girl.

It was the first of five homicides this year for Tracy, which also saw 58-year-old Cynthia Ramos, 41-year-old Naim Bey, 72-year-old Clayton “Cotton” Riggins and 21-year-old Spencer Sampson killed. Tracy hadn’t had a homicide since 2007.

snipped.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1099 on: December 30, 2009, 04:19:37 PM »

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.