March 28, 2024, 10:45:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandra Cantu #4 4/27/09 -  (Read 517134 times)
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #940 on: September 09, 2009, 08:40:50 PM »

Court day this coming Thursday.. wonder if she'll try something again?  wonder what her gramps and the other 'church members' have been up to lately.   

She may, Wyks!  One thing we can be certain of:  she'll "try" to plead "not guilty."      Heck, even Garrido plead not guilty.  How laughable is that? 

By the way, I heard on HLN that the bone fragment found on the neighboring property is probably human.   

She will try, but.... lol  It's not gonna do her any good!  IMO

Garrido too.  Caught red-handed, and they say 'not guilty'.   

Is it common practice for the accused to plead not guilty, no matter what?  Cuz it seems that most if not all do that.  So much that I expect to hear it, first couple of hearings.  No matter the pile of seeming evidence around em. 

And yeah, I read that, about the bone in Garrido's neighbors yard.  That maybe it belongs to a native American or some such, as they were in that area at some earlier point.  Well... that can be said for any bone found anywhere, ya know?  Am sure hoping that LE, on finding one bone fragment, will continue to dig to see what else they may find.  And that includes Garrido's own yard as well.  IMO. 

As sad as Sandra's case is, at the very least, her body was found and properly buried.  That has to be some measure of relief for her family. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #941 on: September 09, 2009, 09:35:13 PM »

Court day this coming Thursday.. wonder if she'll try something again?  wonder what her gramps and the other 'church members' have been up to lately.   

She may, Wyks!  One thing we can be certain of:  she'll "try" to plead "not guilty."      Heck, even Garrido plead not guilty.  How laughable is that? 

By the way, I heard on HLN that the bone fragment found on the neighboring property is probably human.   

Is it common practice for the accused to plead not guilty, no matter what?  Cuz it seems that most if not all do that.  So much that I expect to hear it, first couple of hearings.  No matter the pile of seeming evidence around em. 

And yeah, I read that, about the bone in Garrido's neighbors yard.  That maybe it belongs to a native American or some such, as they were in that area at some earlier point.  Well... that can be said for any bone found anywhere, ya know?  Am sure hoping that LE, on finding one bone fragment, will continue to dig to see what else they may find.  And that includes Garrido's own yard as well.  IMO. 

As sad as Sandra's case is, at the very least, her body was found and properly buried.  That has to be some measure of relief for her family. 

Wyks, yes, I am sure there is some comfort being able to bury her -- I think my mind would still be flooded with thoughts of her death.  The video of her skipping down the street and then . . . I pray for this family every day! 

JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #942 on: September 10, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »

Yep, Wyks, totally common.  It's all part of that right against self incrimination, innocent until proven guilty, and putting the government to its proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  Even the obviously guilty are entitled to a trial by his/her peers.   

But I doubt Garrido's case will ever get that far.  And I still maintain that we'll be seeing a plea out of MH--life in prison without the possibility of parole. 

I agree that hopefully Sandra's family can get at least SOME degree of comfort knowing that Sandra has been properly laid to rest.  But I, too, pray for her every day.  I, too, still have times where I break down.  So I can't even begin to imagine what her family is still going through.  A family that OBVIOUSLY loved her very very very much.  It's downright heartbreaking.  I wish there was something that could take that all away, but when you get down to it, all we really have is time, prayers, and memories.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #943 on: September 10, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »

JessStar,  Amen and Amen.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #944 on: September 10, 2009, 03:01:52 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:50:24 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #945 on: September 10, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/-Huckaby-Refused-Food-Took-Pills--58146752.html

A Tracy woman charged with murdering and raping an 8-year-old girl has been displaying strange behavior in jail, according to reports.

Melissa Huckaby, 28, has been charged in the death of Sandra Cantu, whose body was found in a suitcase pulled from an irrigation pond 10 days after she went missing.

Huckaby's behavior in August prompted four different jail incident reports.

On Aug. 12, a custody officer wrote at 2:30 p.m., "I found Huckaby laying on the floor next to her bed. [She] stated that she felt dizzy and passed out."

At 3 p.m. that day, an officer noted, "I saw Huckaby sitting next to her bed w/ trash can. When I asked her what wrong she replied, 'I took pills.'"

On Aug. 16 at 4:45 p.m., a report said, "Inmate Huckaby was hiding behind mattress w/ blanket around her neck. To safety cell per psych."

At 5:15 p.m. that day, the report said that Huckaby had refused dinner.

Because there is a gag order in place, no one is commenting on the incidents.

That same gag order has kept Cantu's autopsy report sealed.

During the past eight months, the San Joaquin County district attorney has already indicated that it is trying to speed the case along and will seek a trial date.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #946 on: September 10, 2009, 03:08:08 PM »

http://www.ktvu.com/news/20834789/detail.html

Analyst: Expect Surprises During Huckaby Trial

Posted: 9:52 am PDT September 10, 2009

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The former Sunday schoolteacher charged with kidnapping, raping and killing her daughter’s 8-year-old playmate returns to court Thursday for a trial date, setting the scene for a future courtroom drama that a legal analyst says could be filled with some surprising twists and turns.

Former San Francisco Assistant District Attorney Jim Hammer called the case ‘bizarre,’ adding that the trial will be taking place in a legal climate made more difficult by all the media attention given recently to the Jaycee Dugard kidnapping case.

“This crime seems so strange,” Hammer told KTVU. “As a prosecutor for 25 years, I have never heard of anything like this -- a rape or the sexual assault of a kid -- then the murder of your kid’s playmate -- it just sounds so bizarre. I’ve got to ask – Was there someone else? I think there are going to be a lot of surprises at the trial.”

(snipped)

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #947 on: September 10, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=7005065

Video at link

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #948 on: September 10, 2009, 03:29:27 PM »

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The former Sunday schoolteacher charged with kidnapping, raping and killing her daughter’s 8-year-old playmate returns to court Thursday for a trial date, setting the scene for a future courtroom drama that a legal analyst says could be filled with some surprising twists and turns.

Former San Francisco Assistant District Attorney Jim Hammer called the case ‘bizarre,’ adding that the trial will be taking place in a legal climate made more difficult by all the media attention given recently to the Jaycee Dugard kidnapping case.

“This crime seems so strange,” Hammer told KTVU. “As a prosecutor for 25 years, I have never heard of anything like this -- a rape or the sexual assault of a kid -- then the murder of your kid’s playmate -- it just sounds so bizarre. I’ve got to ask – Was there someone else? I think there are going to be a lot of surprises at the trial.”

(snipped)

I read this entire article.  I can see why this guy is a "Former" Assistant DA whose new job is being a media sensationalist.  I agree with some things he says--the case is indeed bizarre, has stirred a lot of media attention, there will probably be some surprises at trial (but I'll add this--they will be stirred up by a desperate defense), but little else.  For example, the standard for a CONVICTION in a death penalty case is not proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.  The proof for a conviction is proof beyond a reasonable doubt just as it is in any criminal case.  If there's a conviction, the case goes into the penalty phase.  In determining the SENTENCE, there must be proof beyond a shadow of a doubt to support the death penalty.  If such proof doesn't exist, the sentence is life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.  That doesn't mean the conviction goes away.

Since he's screwed up the most elementary principles of criminal law and procedure, I discount just about everything else he has to say. Especially his unfounded speculations that have no support other than being sensationalism at its best.

Ok, 2 minutes till game time. 

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #949 on: September 10, 2009, 03:32:01 PM »

(snipped)

I read this entire article.  I can see why this guy is a "Former" Assistant DA whose new job is being a media sensationalist.  I agree with some things he says--the case is indeed bizarre, has stirred a lot of media attention, there will probably be some surprises at trial (but I'll add this--they will be stirred up by a desperate defense), but little else.  For example, the standard for a CONVICTION in a death penalty case is not proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.  The proof for a conviction is proof beyond a reasonable doubt just as it is in any criminal case.  If there's a conviction, the case goes into the penalty phase.  In determining the SENTENCE, there must be proof beyond a shadow of a doubt to support the death penalty.  If such proof doesn't exist, the sentence is life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.  That doesn't mean the conviction goes away.

Since he's screwed up the most elementary principles of criminal law and procedure, I discount just about everything else he has to say. Especially his unfounded speculations that have no support other than being sensationalism at its best.

Oh, and you also have to wonder about anyone who starts an analysis by saying "In 25 years I've never heard of anything like this. . ." and then goes to tell everyone what's going to happen.  Funny.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #950 on: September 10, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »

Thank you JessStar.

Do you know if there is a twitter site or web site that will be giving us updates or info?

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #951 on: September 10, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »

The twitter site that was active was disabled.  Fox40 stopped it (it was SearchForSandra). Interestingly, all of the court documents were just removed from the Court's website.  Not sure why--there were there less than an hour ago.  I know because I checked to see if anything had been filed.  Hmmm. . . .

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #952 on: September 10, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »

The twitter site that was active was disabled.  Fox40 stopped it (it was SearchForSandra). Interestingly, all of the court documents were just removed from the Court's website.  Not sure why--there were there less than an hour ago.  I know because I checked to see if anything had been filed.  Hmmm. . . .

thank you so much!   an angelic monkey

I had forgotten it was today until I heard them mention it on HLN. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #953 on: September 10, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »

Wyks, yes, I am sure there is some comfort being able to bury her -- I think my mind would still be flooded with thoughts of her death.  The video of her skipping down the street and then . . . I pray for this family every day! 

Am praying for them as well, Sister.  The video... ack!  I just cannot get the visual of her skipping along, so happily.  The not knowing of exactly what came next for her, but the certainty that something awful did, that's haunting... I cannot begin to imagine how hard it is for her loved ones.   

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #954 on: September 10, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »

Cece, thanks for the updates!   

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #955 on: September 10, 2009, 03:45:34 PM »

(snipped)

Thanks for giving your impression of this guy, JessStar.  It's very helpful to those of us who have no clue when it comes to these legal terms.  I really appreciate you and the time you've given in explaining things!   

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #956 on: September 10, 2009, 03:47:11 PM »

Cece, thanks for the updates!   

an angelic monkey   

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #957 on: September 10, 2009, 03:50:10 PM »

No Problem, Wyks.  I just get annoyed when media sensationalism gets in the way of honest reporting, especially in cases like this.  As if they aren't difficult enough to comprehend.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #958 on: September 10, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »

Yep, Wyks, totally common.  It's all part of that right against self incrimination, innocent until proven guilty, and putting the government to its proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  Even the obviously guilty are entitled to a trial by his/her peers.   

But I doubt Garrido's case will ever get that far.  And I still maintain that we'll be seeing a plea out of MH--life in prison without the possibility of parole. 

I agree that hopefully Sandra's family can get at least SOME degree of comfort knowing that Sandra has been properly laid to rest.  But I, too, pray for her every day.  I, too, still have times where I break down.  So I can't even begin to imagine what her family is still going through.  A family that OBVIOUSLY loved her very very very much.  It's downright heartbreaking.  I wish there was something that could take that all away, but when you get down to it, all we really have is time, prayers, and memories.

Thanks again, JessStar!   an angelic monkey

I understand about giving the accused their rights and such.  Sigh.  Not that they, IMO, morally deserve to have rights, but legally they do. 

It IS heartbreaking when I think of Sandra's family.  Sigh.  As in a few other cases, my heart goes out to the innocent family members, who seem to struggle with maintaining before, thruout, and after the hearings, etc.  I've expected a couple of em to leap over the railing and take justice into their own hands, cuz I sure would be tempted.  Am thinking of Jessica Lunsford's dad, in particular.  That man, IMO, seems to have the patience of a saint. 

I've even felt badly, to some degree, for the innocent family members of the accused, in some cases.  Not Caylee's tho!!!!!!     In some cases, it's heartbreaking as well for family members of the accused, and the h3ll they go thru as well, because of what their accused family member has done.  Sooooooooo many lives affected....

I still don't think that MH acted alone, and am hoping that LE is also looking at certain other folks in her life as possibly being involved, to some degree.  MH needs to go down for her role in all this, but I also want anyone else possibly involved to go down with her.  It would really suk if she's taking all the blame, but others get off scott free.  To possibly reoffend.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #959 on: September 10, 2009, 04:11:14 PM »

Oh, and you also have to wonder about anyone who starts an analysis by saying "In 25 years I've never heard of anything like this. . ." and then goes to tell everyone what's going to happen.  Funny.

You have a good point there!! 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.