March 28, 2024, 02:00:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandra Cantu #4 4/27/09 -  (Read 517082 times)
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #960 on: September 10, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »

She will try, but.... lol  It's not gonna do her any good!  IMO

Garrido too.  Caught red-handed, and they say 'not guilty'.   

Is it common practice for the accused to plead not guilty, no matter what?  Cuz it seems that most if not all do that.  So much that I expect to hear it, first couple of hearings.  No matter the pile of seeming evidence around em. 

And yeah, I read that, about the bone in Garrido's neighbors yard.  That maybe it belongs to a native American or some such, as they were in that area at some earlier point.  Well... that can be said for any bone found anywhere, ya know?  Am sure hoping that LE, on finding one bone fragment, will continue to dig to see what else they may find.  And that includes Garrido's own yard as well.  IMO. 

As sad as Sandra's case is, at the very least, her body was found and properly buried.  That has to be some measure of relief for her family. 

Yep, Wyks, totally common.  It's all part of that right against self incrimination, innocent until proven guilty, and putting the government to its proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  Even the obviously guilty are entitled to a trial by his/her peers.   

But I doubt Garrido's case will ever get that far.  And I still maintain that we'll be seeing a plea out of MH--life in prison without the possibility of parole. 

I agree that hopefully Sandra's family can get at least SOME degree of comfort knowing that Sandra has been properly laid to rest.  But I, too, pray for her every day.  I, too, still have times where I break down.  So I can't even begin to imagine what her family is still going through.  A family that OBVIOUSLY loved her very very very much.  It's downright heartbreaking.  I wish there was something that could take that all away, but when you get down to it, all we really have is time, prayers, and memories.

Thanks again, JessStar!   an angelic monkey

I understand about giving the accused their rights and such.  Sigh.  Not that they, IMO, morally deserve to have rights, but legally they do. 

It IS heartbreaking when I think of Sandra's family.  Sigh.  As in a few other cases, my heart goes out to the innocent family members, who seem to struggle with maintaining before, thruout, and after the hearings, etc.  I've expected a couple of em to leap over the railing and take justice into their own hands, cuz I sure would be tempted.  Am thinking of Jessica Lunsford's dad, in particular.  That man, IMO, seems to have the patience of a saint. 

I've even felt badly, to some degree, for the innocent family members of the accused, in some cases.  Not Caylee's tho!!!!!!     In some cases, it's heartbreaking as well for family members of the accused, and the h3ll they go thru as well, because of what their accused family member has done.  Sooooooooo many lives affected....

I still don't think that MH acted alone, and am hoping that LE is also looking at certain other folks in her life as possibly being involved, to some degree.  MH needs to go down for her role in all this, but I also want anyone else possibly involved to go down with her.  It would really suk if she's taking all the blame, but others get off scott free.  To possibly reoffend.

Absotively posolutely.  Smile

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #961 on: September 10, 2009, 04:14:53 PM »

The twitter site that was active was disabled.  Fox40 stopped it (it was SearchForSandra). Interestingly, all of the court documents were just removed from the Court's website.  Not sure why--there were there less than an hour ago.  I know because I checked to see if anything had been filed.  Hmmm. . . .

thank you so much!   an angelic monkey

I had forgotten it was today until I heard them mention it on HLN. 

Am wondering if much will be reported about today, because of the gag order and all?  Am sooo getting used to the Sunshine Law in FL, where everything teensy thing is released and we're watching hearings live on tv.  Kinda wish other states would do the same!  And then.. sometimes it does get to be too much tho. 

Wonder if those court docs went poof because of the gag order??   

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #962 on: September 10, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »

The twitter site that was active was disabled.  Fox40 stopped it (it was SearchForSandra). Interestingly, all of the court documents were just removed from the Court's website.  Not sure why--there were there less than an hour ago.  I know because I checked to see if anything had been filed.  Hmmm. . . .

thank you so much!   an angelic monkey

I had forgotten it was today until I heard them mention it on HLN. 

Am wondering if much will be reported about today, because of the gag order and all?  Am sooo getting used to the Sunshine Law in FL, where everything teensy thing is released and we're watching hearings live on tv.  Kinda wish other states would do the same!  And then.. sometimes it does get to be too much tho. 

Wonder if those court docs went poof because of the gag order??   

No, they were public dox not subject to the gag order.  They were the indictment, the minute orders, things like that.  It has me a little curious being that's never happened before. 

We'll probably hear three major things.  Huckaby will enter a plea, Testa will announce he's pursuing this as a death penalty case, and the Court will order that the grand jury transcripts remain sealed.  Oh, and she'll probably set a trial date.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #963 on: September 10, 2009, 04:19:41 PM »

Just saw my first prediction is correct-- Prosecution will be seeking the death penalty.

DEVELOPING NEWS - SANDRA CANTU MURDER CASE:
Prosecution will seek death penalty against Melissa Huckaby

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #964 on: September 10, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »

Just saw my first prediction is correct-- Prosecution will be seeking the death penalty.

Oops, sorry

http://www.fox40.com/

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #965 on: September 10, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »

If I feel such a heavy weight inside of me, God only knows what this family feels.  Sandra is the reason I joined this forum (my first).  Her spirit reaches deep down within me.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #966 on: September 10, 2009, 04:22:40 PM »

State Seeks Death Penalty for Melissa Huckaby
FOX40 News
September 10, 2009

MODESTO - Prosecutors in San Joaquin County say they will seek the death penalty against Melissa Huckaby, the Tracy woman accused of kidnapping and killing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu last spring.

Attorneys announced their plan during a court hearing today in Stockton. Huckaby has not entered a plea. She has requested a new attorney.

Tracy police arrested Melissa Huckaby in April, just days after the body of Sandra Cantu was discovered in a suitcase left in a Tracy irrigation ditch. She had disappeared on March 27th walking away from her home at the Orchard Estates mobile home park.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-huckaby,0,1092459.story

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #967 on: September 10, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »

Oops, sorry

http://www.fox40.com/

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #968 on: September 10, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »

http://www.kcra.com/news/20838293/detail.html

STOCKTON, Calif. -- The San Joaquin County District Attorney is asking for the death penalty for Melissa Huckaby, who is charged with kidnapping, raping and killing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu.

Cantu's body was found stuffed in a suitcase pulled from an irrigation pond north of Tracy in April.

In July, a grand jury indicted the 28-year-old former Sunday school teacher. A Superior Court judge then gave Huckaby's defense lawyer two months to review the indictment and return to court to discuss a possible trial dates.

Huckaby has also requested a new attorney in her case.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #969 on: September 10, 2009, 04:26:57 PM »

DA To Seek Death Penalty Against Melissa Huckaby
 Indictment Against Melissa Huckaby (PDF) Reporting
David Begnaud STOCKTON (CBS13) ―  Click to enlarge1 of 3
Vicki Behrenger
 Click to enlarge2 of 3
Vicki Behrenger
 Click to enlarge3 of 3
Vicki Behrenger

Close

numSlides of totalImages  Related Slideshows The Disappearance And Murder Of Sandra Cantu  Sandra Cantu's Funeral Procession  CBS13.com Mug Shot Gallery  Celebrity Mug Shots  2009 Celebrity Deaths Related StoriesCalif. Woman Pleads Not Guilty In Cantu Case
(6/12/2009)
Dairy Worker Getting Reward In Cantu Case Today
(5/7/2009)
Worker Who Found Sandra Cantu To Get $20K
(5/3/2009)
Sandra Cantu Memorialized In Nation's Capitol
(4/23/2009)
Judge Issues Gag Order In Sandra Cantu Case
(4/22/2009)
Cantu Murder Suspect Tied To Girl's Drugging
(4/21/2009)
Churches Check Backgrounds In Light Of Cantu Case
(4/22/2009)
Judge In Sandra Cantu Case Recuses Himself
(4/21/2009)
Tracy Thanks Cantu Volunteers For Search Efforts
(4/19/2009)
Huckaby's Lawyer Wants Cantu's Body Exhumed
(4/18/2009)
Huckaby's Lawyer Wants Sandra Cantu's Body Exhumed
(4/17/2009)
Thousands Pay Respects To Sandra Cantu
(4/16/2009)
Two big developments in the murder case against Melissa Huckaby who accused of killing of an 8-year-old Tracy girl.  Huckaby has just learned she will face the death penalty in Sandra Cantu's death.  And now Huckaby is attempting to have her attorney fired. 

In a court hearing today, the District Attorney's office says it will seek the death penalty against Huckaby in the kidnap, rape and murder of Cantu. Huckaby is also asking a judge to fire her court appointed attorney.

Huckaby, 28, is accused of killing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, a playmate of Huckaby's young daughter. Sandra went missing in March in Tracy, her hometown in Northern California. A massive search for her ended 10 days later when her body was found stuffed in a black suitcase pulled from an irrigation pond a few miles from the mobile home park where she lived.

In the case involving Cantu, Huckaby is charged with murder with the special circumstances of rape, kidnapping and lewd or lascivious conduct with a child under 14, which could make her eligible for the death penalty if convicted.

Prosecutors are expected to announce today if they plan to pursue the death penalty.

http://cbs13.com/local/huckaby.death.penalty.2.1174818.html

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #970 on: September 10, 2009, 04:28:03 PM »

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090910/A_NEWS/909109988

STOCKTON – The district attorney told a judge today in court that he will seek the death penalty against Melissa Huckaby, the Tracy woman accused of kidnapping, raping, and murdering 8-year-old Sandra Cantu earlier this year.

At the court proceeding today, Huckaby requested a Marsden hearing, where she is asking the judge to give her a new attorney. She is currently being represented by public defender Sam Behar. The hearing is going on now, and no reason was given for her request.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #971 on: September 10, 2009, 04:30:01 PM »

I am so pleased with this report.  Kudos to the Prosection.  YES YES YES!

And Huckaby trying to fire her attorney.  I guess she isn't happy with the advice he's giving her.  I can only surmise . . . Either that, or it's a delay tactic. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #972 on: September 10, 2009, 04:32:14 PM »

If I feel such a heavy weight inside of me, God only knows what this family feels.  Sandra is the reason I joined this forum (my first).  Her spirit reaches deep down within me.

I hear ya, Sister.  <monkey hugs> 

Stacy Peterson is the reason I first joined here, and that heaviness comes for me too, in each case.  Families everywhere... devastated.  Just makes me even more angry with the perp/s in each case, esp if it seems that LE isn't doing much in each missing/murdered case. 

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #973 on: September 10, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »

I am so pleased with this report.  Kudos to the Prosection.  YES YES YES!

And Huckaby trying to fire her attorney.  I guess she isn't happy with the advice he's giving her.  I can only surmise . . . Either that, or it's a delay tactic. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #974 on: September 10, 2009, 04:36:31 PM »

Am thinking not much is going to help MH, new attorney or not.  She may as well stick with the one she's got.  Can only delay the inevitable for so long, IMO. 

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #975 on: September 10, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »

Am thinking not much is going to help MH, new attorney or not.  She may as well stick with the one she's got.  Can only delay the inevitable for so long, IMO. 

I tell you what, that came out of left field.  I never expected MH to ask for a new attorney.  From what I understand, the one she's got is pretty experienced.

But you're right.  If the court grants her request, she'll get another attorney that will tell her the same thing.  And maybe she'll fire him or her too and defend herself.  You know what they say about that--a lawyer that represents himself has a fool for a client.  Smile

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #976 on: September 10, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »

I can wait this one out -- I feel she is part of something bigger and I feel this is going to get weirder yet.  Interesting no mention of her other child.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #977 on: September 10, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:51:35 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #978 on: September 10, 2009, 04:52:21 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

Just saw that cece--the game's no over yet. . .
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:51:56 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #979 on: September 10, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »

San Joaquin seeking death in Sandra Cantu case
Demian Bulwa, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, September 10, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print E-mail del.icio.us
Digg
Technorati
Reddit
Facebook Slashdot
Fark
Newsvine
Google Bookmarks
Yahoo! Buzz
Share Comments (5) 
 Georgia (default)
 Verdana
 Times New Roman
 ArialFont | Size:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(09-10) 14:05 PDT STOCKTON -- San Joaquin County prosecutors will ask for the death penalty for the Sunday school teacher accused of raping and murdering an 8-year-old playmate of her daughter in Tracy, authorities said today.

Melissa Huckaby, 28, was indicted in July on a murder charge and three special circumstances in the death of Sandra Cantu - including that she killed during the commission of a rape - that make her eligible for execution if convicted. Huckaby was also accused of sexually assaulting a child under 10.

The decision to seek lethal execution was made by District Attorney James Willett, who consulted with attorneys in his office as well as Sandra's family, authorities said.
Huckaby pleaded not guilty at a hearing today in San Joaquin County Superior Court in Stockton. Judge Linda Lofthus revealed that the defense had hired a change-of-venue expert from Chico State University, suggesting that Huckaby wants to move her trial elsewhere.

Huckaby also sought to remove her lawyer, Deputy Public Defender Sam Behar, from the case, but Lofthus denied the motion. The reason for Huckaby's request was not explained, and a gag order prevents lawyers from talking about the case outside court.

Huckaby will return to court Sept. 25, at which time the judge could set a trial date, possibly in March.

Huckaby is accused of killing Sandra after the girl went to her house to play with Huckaby's 5-year-old daughter March 27.

Much is still not known about the case, and authorities have not gone into detail about how they believe Sandra died.

However, sources close to the investigation have told The Chronicle that they believe the girl was deliberately killed at the Clover Road Baptist Church, where Huckaby's grandfather is the pastor and where she taught Sunday school.

The church is two blocks from the mobile home park where Sandra lived with her mother, her three older siblings and her grandparents and where Huckaby resided with her grandparents.

Sandra's disappearance triggered a 10-day search that gripped Tracy. Her body, stuffed in a suitcase, was found by farmworkers draining an irrigation pond two miles from the mobile home park.

Hours before her arrest, Huckaby told a reporter for the Tracy Press that the suitcase was hers. She said it had been stolen out of her driveway the day Sandra vanished.

Huckaby had already been undergoing mental evaluation as a result of an earlier petty theft conviction, and relatives said she had battled depression. Sources said she tried to commit suicide in the days before her arrest, leading her to be hospitalized.

Besides the murder and rape charges, Huckaby is accused of child endangerment and furnishing a harmful substance. Those counts are related to her alleged drugging of a 7-year-old girl and a man in the months before Sandra died.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/10/BA8S19L7AA.DTL&tsp=1

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.