April 25, 2024, 11:16:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEN'S CAKES  (Read 161251 times)
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2009, 10:32:03 AM »

MMMMMM. . . .cake!. . . . .MMMMMM!

Yours look too pretty to eat, Monken!  However, in person I bet I could just force myself, haha!

Hey Anna! I think that's the hardest part, the first cut, after that it's all over!! 

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 02:43:35 PM »

Monken!! You just blow me away everytime you post your cakes. Girl! You are amazing!!!!

On another note, I made my prized butternut pound cake today, and I am almost out of butternut extract. I used to get the best at Watkins, but they don't sell it any more. I buy McCormicks brand now when I can find it, but it is not as full of flavor as the Watkins. Do you have any idea where I might be able to order some??? TIA

Happy Mothers Day.

Fanny Mae

http://www.watkinsonline.com/productsgroup.cfm?Page=2&Parent=3&Family=228&gCatalogLocale=USA&ECredit=077475N&group=595

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2009, 10:11:21 PM »

Monken!! You just blow me away everytime you post your cakes. Girl! You are amazing!!!!

On another note, I made my prized butternut pound cake today, and I am almost out of butternut extract. I used to get the best at Watkins, but they don't sell it any more. I buy McCormicks brand now when I can find it, but it is not as full of flavor as the Watkins. Do you have any idea where I might be able to order some??? TIA

Happy Mothers Day.

Fanny Mae

http://www.watkinsonline.com/productsgroup.cfm?Page=2&Parent=3&Family=228&gCatalogLocale=USA&ECredit=077475N&group=595

Thanks Bearly, that is where I used to get it. For  some reason they don't carry the butternut extract anymore. I am heartbroken. I am going to try a few of the ones that Monken and Cookie suggested. I'll try them and see how they turn out, and I will let everybody know.

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
GramaMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 07:53:01 AM »

Fanny, I looked in a pampered chef catalog and also online for tastefully simple and I did not see the butternut spice that you are looking for...

Thank you Cookie. I haven't gotten Monken's permission but I am going to post the pound cake recipe on this site. Maybe she can help us find the butternut extract. If she wants the recipe moved from here I will ask Klaas to put it in an appropriate thread.

Miss Katie's Butternut Pound Cake (May she rest in peace. an angelic monkey )

2 sticks of butter, softened
1/2 cup of Crisco
3 cups of sugar
2 Tbsps of butternut Extract (yes, tablespoons)

Cream above ingredients together

Add 5 whole eggs, one at the time, blending well.(I've used both large and medium, doesn't matter.)

In another bowl combine:
3 cups of regular flour. I usually measure first, then sift  with 1/4 Tsp salt.

Measure:
I small can evaporated milk with enough water to make a cup.

Alternately add small amounts of flour  and milk, blend well. Scrape bowl frequently.

Grease and flour a tube (angel food cake type that is two piece) pan. After putting batter in pan, pick up pan and drop against the counter a few times to remove bubbles in batter. I usually put the tube pan on a cookie sheet as occasionally it may leak a little. Place in a cold oven. Turn oven to 325 degrees for 1 hour and 45 mins. Take out and cool on a rack for 15 mins. Turn out of pan, and finish cooling. I like the crusty top so I cool it with that side up. Enjoy!!

Here's hoping we can find a good source for good butternut extract. McCormicks will do but the flavor is not as full.

Monken, I hope you don't mind me putting this here. If you do I understand. I will move it. Just let me know.
Edit to fix angel

No, no, leave it here, Fanny, & I'm checking on the extract too! I'll let you know if i find a good source!

Check out the Watlkins products.  I have butter pecan, carmel and a load of others. 

GramaMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 07:56:31 AM »

Just a comment on the pan.  I have a Tube pan, that I use 'strictly' for angel food cakes. 

You do not grease for Angel Food Cakes, so just a word of warning, if you are making the above cake, either get another pan, cause once you grease this pan, you will not be able to use it for Angel food cakes anymore.

You can use a pan like that for Chiffon cakes, and I do believe that type of pan is a greased one.

Just a bit of info, don't want anyone to have problems, with the pans.

Thanks for that recipe, I have copied it and plan to get myself a new pan and try it out. 

Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2009, 09:25:25 AM »

Hey Everyone! Here's a couple of recent ones! I have a Notre Dame groom's cake coming up! 

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2009, 09:29:29 AM »

Happy Mothers Day.

Fanny Mae

Thanks Bearly, that is where I used to get it. For  some reason they don't carry the butternut extract anymore. I am heartbroken. I am going to try a few of the ones that Monken and Cookie suggested. I'll try them and see how they turn out, and I will let everybody know.
Hey Fannie, I have to order some cake supplies on ebay & I'm going to order the butternut at the same time. Let me know what you think about this one, I have never even heard of Lorann! And they have some other flavorings that I want too! 

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2009, 09:18:30 AM »

Hey Everyone; here's the groom's cake "Notre Dame" that I finished yesterday. This one really kicked my butt, I woke up with a massive headache this morn! 
I have a luau cake to do today, will post a pic when I'm finished. Hope you like, Love you all! Monken 

Phaedrus
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »

Monken! now I am really hungry for cake....!
I am trying to lose about 5 lbs so this is the wrong thread for me today...lol!
lovely .....too lovely to eat...but force me!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »

Monken~  the groom's cake looks great! 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »

THANKS GUYS!
Here's the luau cake, the colors are so pretty!
It's a beautiful day, i may paint my kitchen! 

Phaedrus
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2009, 01:24:17 PM »

Fabulous colors on the luau cake!  I love the way her hair looks like it's swaying out with her lei.  And the big smile on the hula girl is neat.  You are amazing, Monken 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »

THANKS GUYS!

Paint your kitchen??/ aren't you the ambitious one!

Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »

Fabulous colors on the luau cake!  I love the way her hair looks like it's swaying out with her lei.  And the big smile on the hula girl is neat.  You are amazing, Monken 

Thank you, Muffy! The inside of this cake was bright pink, orange & yellow! My granddaughters went to this party & got to have some of it! 

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »

THANKS GUYS!

Paint your kitchen??/ aren't you the ambitious one!

Cookie, I've had the paint for several rooms just sitting here for weeks now & I can't make time for it! Now that hubby has graduated maybe he'll have time to move stuff for me to paint! Oh, & we worked in the yard yesterday, it was a gorgeous day, we have 3 acres to cut & the neighbors are always giving me stuff to plant. I had a ton of irises & glads to find a place for! Love ya! 

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2009, 10:02:57 AM »

Monken~  the groom's cake looks great! 

Thanks Muffy, I haven't got to talk to her about the wedding yet, the inside of this one was navy & gold. They are huge Notre Dame fans. They decided at the last minute on a theme & I ordered the table cover, plates etc. for them. The table cover just happened to come in the day before, boy that's cuttin it close!    The wedding was an hour & a half from here so I hope the cake survived the trip okay! We'll see! Love ya! 

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »

Hey Guys, my youngest granddaughter will be 4 in Sept. & my daughter has decided on a luau theme for her party! She already has everything purchased! I wanted to post the invitations, they are too cute! 

Phaedrus
califmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2009, 11:53:29 PM »

Monken... Your cakes are beautiful!!  I wouldn't want to cut into one of them!! Do you live in the Los Angeles area?

Thank you for sharing your pictures with us!!  I can't wait to see more!!

♥ Justice for Caylee ♥
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2009, 05:11:43 AM »

Hi Sweet Face:

Love the cakes, they are beautiful.  Love you, you are beautiful, too!!!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2009, 09:45:58 AM »

Hi, Bearly & Califmom, Thank you so much for your comments 
I have had a break from cakes lately so I've been painting my kitchen; just got finished yesterday! Both granddaughters have been here so it's a challenge! 
I have another Hannah Montana guitar cake coming up soon & I never know when someone will call with an order. I have regulars this month so they'll be calling! 
I'm sorry I haven't been here lately, I still have cake pictures to post, but they're on a cd 7 I gotta dig them up! Love ya'll Monken   

Phaedrus
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.