March 28, 2024, 07:24:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEN'S CAKES  (Read 160289 times)
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »

OMG are you flipping kidding me? These are honestly the best cakes I have ever seen. 
How do you do them? Wow! You sould go on that show on Food Netwook, Ace of cakes! They got nothing on you!
Do you own a bakery in your town? If not, then you should look into opening one. I competely think you would be very successful! This is your calling!

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »

Monken!! You just blow me away everytime you post your cakes. Girl! You are amazing!!!!

On another note, I made my prized butternut pound cake today, and I am almost out of butternut extract. I used to get the best at Watkins, but they don't sell it any more. I buy McCormicks brand now when I can find it, but it is not as full of flavor as the Watkins. Do you have any idea where I might be able to order some??? TIA

Happy Mothers Day.

Fanny Mae

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 06:16:23 PM »

Monken!! You just blow me away everytime you post your cakes. Girl! You are amazing!!!!

On another note, I made my prized butternut pound cake today, and I am almost out of butternut extract. I used to get the best at Watkins, but they don't sell it any more. I buy McCormicks brand now when I can find it, but it is not as full of flavor as the Watkins. Do you have any idea where I might be able to order some??? TIA

Happy Mothers Day.

Fanny Mae

Fanny...would you consider sharing your recipe for the butternut pound cake? I saw that you were baking it in another thread and it sounded divine!
Monken your cakes are beautiful! I bet they taste as good as they look!

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 06:17:50 PM »

Oh, Fanny...I love the flavorings that Pampered Chef sells...the vanilla and some others are really good so if they have the butternut, I bet that it is really good...you can order online...

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »

Oh, Fanny...I love the flavorings that Pampered Chef sells...the vanilla and some others are really good so if they have the butternut, I bet that it is really good...you can order online...

Sure Cookie, I will give it to you. I am already in bed tonight and about to go to sleep. I will post it for you and tell you where I put it. I will look at the Pampered Chef too. That is the only problem with making the cake is finding to extract.  See you in the morning. Happy Mother's Day.

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »

Sure Cookie, I will give it to you. I am already in bed tonight and about to go to sleep. I will post it for you and tell you where I put it. I will look at the Pampered Chef too. That is the only problem with making the cake is finding to extract.  See you in the morning. Happy Mother's Day.

thanks Fanny! I love making home made desserts...they don't look like Monkens, but they taste really good...loves me some home made desserts!

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »

Fanny, I looked in a pampered chef catalog and also online for tastefully simple and I did not see the butternut spice that you are looking for...

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 07:18:28 PM »

Fanny, I looked in a pampered chef catalog and also online for tastefully simple and I did not see the butternut spice that you are looking for...

Thank you Cookie. I haven't gotten Monken's permission but I am going to post the pound cake recipe on this site. Maybe she can help us find the butternut extract. If she wants the recipe moved from here I will ask Klaas to put it in an appropriate thread.

Miss Katie's Butternut Pound Cake (May she rest in peace. an angelic monkey )

2 sticks of butter, softened
1/2 cup of Crisco
3 cups of sugar
2 Tbsps of butternut Extract (yes, tablespoons)

Cream above ingredients together

Add 5 whole eggs, one at the time, blending well.(I've used both large and medium, doesn't matter.)

In another bowl combine:
3 cups of regular flour. I usually measure first, then sift  with 1/4 Tsp salt.

Measure:
I small can evaporated milk with enough water to make a cup.

Alternately add small amounts of flour  and milk, blend well. Scrape bowl frequently.

Grease and flour a tube (angel food cake type that is two piece) pan. After putting batter in pan, pick up pan and drop against the counter a few times to remove bubbles in batter. I usually put the tube pan on a cookie sheet as occasionally it may leak a little. Place in a cold oven. Turn oven to 325 degrees for 1 hour and 45 mins. Take out and cool on a rack for 15 mins. Turn out of pan, and finish cooling. I like the crusty top so I cool it with that side up. Enjoy!!

Here's hoping we can find a good source for good butternut extract. McCormicks will do but the flavor is not as full.

Monken, I hope you don't mind me putting this here. If you do I understand. I will move it. Just let me know.
Edit to fix angel

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:25:04 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »

MMMMMM. . . .cake!. . . . .MMMMMM!

Yours look too pretty to eat, Monken!  However, in person I bet I could just force myself, haha!

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 08:18:12 PM »

Fanny....sounds luscious! I will get the ingredients and make it sometime this week! yummy!
thank you so much!

Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 07:08:36 PM »

Hey you guys!  I am so sorry I haven't been in here more. Fanny, That cake recipe sounds great, I'm gonna try it too!  Thank you for your responses, everyone. I've had sooo much going on lately that I've got behind on the threads & that makes me really stressed out! If nothing else I always check in on the Caylee thread to catch up. Love you all! Monken 

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »

Thank you Cookie. I haven't gotten Monken's permission but I am going to post the pound cake recipe on this site. Maybe she can help us find the butternut extract. If she wants the recipe moved from here I will ask Klaas to put it in an appropriate thread.

Miss Katie's Butternut Pound Cake (May she rest in peace. an angelic monkey )

2 sticks of butter, softened
1/2 cup of Crisco
3 cups of sugar
2 Tbsps of butternut Extract (yes, tablespoons)

Cream above ingredients together

Add 5 whole eggs, one at the time, blending well.(I've used both large and medium, doesn't matter.)

In another bowl combine:
3 cups of regular flour. I usually measure first, then sift  with 1/4 Tsp salt.

Measure:
I small can evaporated milk with enough water to make a cup.

Alternately add small amounts of flour  and milk, blend well. Scrape bowl frequently.

Grease and flour a tube (angel food cake type that is two piece) pan. After putting batter in pan, pick up pan and drop against the counter a few times to remove bubbles in batter. I usually put the tube pan on a cookie sheet as occasionally it may leak a little. Place in a cold oven. Turn oven to 325 degrees for 1 hour and 45 mins. Take out and cool on a rack for 15 mins. Turn out of pan, and finish cooling. I like the crusty top so I cool it with that side up. Enjoy!!

Here's hoping we can find a good source for good butternut extract. McCormicks will do but the flavor is not as full.

Monken, I hope you don't mind me putting this here. If you do I understand. I will move it. Just let me know.
Edit to fix angel

No, no, leave it here, Fanny, & I'm checking on the extract too! I'll let you know if i find a good source!

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »

Thanks Monken for letting me post it here. Cookie and I were already discussing it so that is why I did it. Thanks for looking for the extract too. I knew if anyone could find it, it would be you.

jaggard19
Scared Monkey

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 03:36:31 PM »

Here is a link to Spice Barn and they list a vanilla, butter & nut extract, don't know if that is the same thing, but here goes:

http://spicebarn.com/extracts_flavorings.htm

jaggard19
Scared Monkey

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 03:40:12 PM »

And another one from Party Cakes'n things:

http://www.partycakesnthings.com/proddetail.php?prod=VBN

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 11:04:50 PM »

And another one from Party Cakes'n things:

http://www.partycakesnthings.com/proddetail.php?prod=VBN

Are you still here? I was looking and I think this source may probably the best. The one from the Spice Barn looks clear. The one form here says that it makes the cake yellow, and that 's the one you want. I sometimes can find McCormick Vanilla butter nut and it is satifactory, but I find I tend to add a little bit more than two TBSP to make it a little more flavorful. This brand on this link says its the old fashion kind. I think I will order some. Good cookin'! Let me know how it turns out. Please say a prayer for my good friend Miss Kitty that gave me this recipe. She is gone now, and I miss her very much. She was one of the best, spunkiest ladies I ever knew.

Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »

OMG are you flipping kidding me? These are honestly the best cakes I have ever seen. 
How do you do them? Wow! You sould go on that show on Food Netwook, Ace of cakes! They got nothing on you!
Do you own a bakery in your town? If not, then you should look into opening one. I competely think you would be very successful! This is your calling!

Tracygirl, you are so sweet! Ace of cakes would kick me out!  And once my granddaughter is old enough to start school(she'll be 4 in Sept.) I'm gonna think about that bakery. I can barely keep up(I had an order on my answering machine when we got home last night) I had 3 to do last week & It's very time consuming, about 5 hours per cake from start to finish! The inside is also colored to match the outside, & people LOVE that! 

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »

Happy Mothers Day.

Fanny Mae

Fanny, bless your heart!!  I searched for that extract & I found Lorann butternut on ebay, It's not expensive at all(I'll post the link) Is this the one you use? They have a million different flavors!!  They are supposed to be super flavored so they come in very small amounts! let me know what you think! I'm ordering some so i can make your cake!  I also order from www.pattycakes.com & they have it too, but their shipping rates are high. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250394271625

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 10:22:23 AM »

That link got screwed up, try this one 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250394271625

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24:53 AM »

Thank you Cookie!    I didn't think about Pampered Chef, I'll bet theirs is really good!

Phaedrus
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.