March 28, 2024, 06:59:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shylea Myza Thomas 9 yo Quadriplegic girl found dead in Mich. storage unit  (Read 14293 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »

Lorrie Thomas says she's 'not a monster' before her sentencing Monday in death of Shylae Thomas

January 12, 2010, 7:00AM

FLINT, Michigan — Lorrie Thomas told a judge and a courtroom full of family and friends Monday that she is not proud of her actions and she loved her adoptive daughter, 9-year-old Shylae Thomas.

Thomas was sentenced Monday to 10 to 15 years in prison for the death of Shylae, Thomas’ biological niece, who was found dead in April 2009, stuffed in a storage container surrounded by mothballs in a Vienna Township storage unit.

“I am not proud that my child died and I put her in storage,” said Thomas through tears. “I am not a monster.”

Thomas told a judge through tears before her sentencing today that she asked the state of Michigan to help her care for the girl but did not get any assistance.

In December, Thomas pleaded no contest to involuntary manslaughter in the death of Shylae. Investigators said the child, who lost the use of her arms and legs after a crib mishap as an infant, weighed just 33 pounds when she died, her hair was matted, her nails were untrimmed and she had bedsores that exposed the bone.

Genesee County Assistant Prosecutor Marcie Mabry called on Genesee Circuit Court Judge Judith Fullerton for a harsher sentence that the state guidelines recommend and said the guidelines don’t account for the kind of death Shylae suffered. She compared the autopsy images taken of Shylae’s body to those of Holocaust victims in the notorious Auschwitz death camp.

“She was just left to slowly and painfully die over the period of a year and a half ... I can only imagine what it must be like to die of starvation the way Shylae died,” she said.

She accused Thomas of showing a lack of remorse and pointed out the Thomas complained about the food in the Genesee County Jail in a recorded jailhouse phone call days after Shylae’s body was found.

Her attorney Mark Clement pointed out Thomas had no criminal record and requested the judge hand down a shorter sentence.

“Whatever happened here, (Thomas) has accepted responsibility,” he said.

Afterward, he said he and Thomas were prepared for the more harsh sentence handed down by Fullerton.

Flint Police Detective Sgt. Mitch Brown said he was satisfied with the sentence, saying Thomas “earned” the maximum.

“Stop pretending that it was someone else’s fault,” he said.

Friends and family of Thomas and Shylae cried in the hallway about the sentence. Shylae’s biological mother, Rachel Thomas, said she begged to see her daughter but was kept away.

She claimed Lorrie Thomas brought her food and cash on or around the day Shylae died, “but my baby was in a storage unit.”

“She should have got life (in prison),” she said outside the courtroom.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said cases where death is caused by severe neglect is ruled manslaughter.

Is 10 to 15 years enough for what she did? That’s the law so that’s what we’re going to have to accept,” he said. 

He called the case “emotionally trying” that he and investigators are relieved to have complete.

“This is the kind of case the just tugs at your heart,” he said. “Tough case.”
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/01/lorrie_thomas_says_shes_not_a.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »

Lorrie Thomas says she's 'not a monster' before her sentencing Monday in death of Shylae Thomas

Yes you are a monster and should be put away for the rest of your pitiful life. How dare you not see the glory in this child. How dare you say you loved her. You don't fool me with those words, I know you hated her. I know you resented she would make you get up off your lazy arse to care for her. I have met "parents" like you before and my wish for you as it is for them Ms Thomas is a life filled with misery and pain and then to only be sent to He**.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »

Yes you are a monster and should be put away for the rest of your pitiful life. How dare you not see the glory in this child. How dare you say you loved her. You don't fool me with those words, I know you hated her. I know you resented she would make you get up off your lazy arse to care for her. I have met "parents" like you before and my wish for you as it is for them Ms Thomas is a life filled with misery and pain and then to only be sent to He**.

I agree so much Tracygirl.  If that' love, I want to be hated.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »

January 14, 2010 7:00 AM
Lorrie Thomas Gets 10 Years for Starving Quadriplegic Daughter Shylae Thomas to Death

FLINT, Mich. (CBS/AP) Lorrie Thomas, a Flint, Mich., mom, was sentenced this week to 10 years in prison for starving her adopted quadriplegic daughter, Shylae, to death.

Photo: Victim Shylea Myza Thomas.

The 9-year-old's body was found in a plastic bin in a Vienna Township storage unit last April. Police believe her dead body had lain there for six weeks.

"She left this child in the crib to rot and die," said Genesee County Circuit Judge Judith Fullerton during sentencing.

Fullerton pointed out that Thomas, who already had seven kids in her home, was ill equipped to adopt Shylae, and should not have been allowed to do so.

Photo: Lorrie Mae Thomas' mug shot.

Thomas pleaded no contest to involuntary manslaughter in December.

"I regret that y'all think I don't have remorse," the 40-year-old Thomas tearfully said Monday. "Not one person helped me... I am not a monster. I did not kill Shylae."

Shylae became a quadriplegic shortly after birth in 1999 when she nearly suffocated in her crib.

Thomas adopted the child in 2003. A child welfare worker, responding last spring to a complaint about Thomas, couldn't find Shylae in the house and called Flint police, who found the body in the storage unit. Authorities claimed Thomas stopped providing liquid nutrition through a permanent feeding tube in the girl's stomach and she slowly starved to death.

Assistant Prosecutor Marcie Mabry said Shylae's body, with bones poking through her skin, looked worse than the victims at Auschwitz - Nazi Germany's World War II concentration camp.

Standing just two feet from Thomas in the courtroom, Mabry said she was speaking as Shylae when she asked the judge for a tough sentence.

"I did not need to die like that," Mabry said. "I was forgotten and I laid up in that crib for a year and a half. I needed to be turned. I needed to be touched. I needed to be fed."

"I was basically a paycheck," Mabry said, referring to the nearly $3,000-a-month state subsidy Thomas received to take care of a disabled child.

The sentencing guidelines called for a minimum of three and half years in prison. But the judge said there were "compelling reasons" for a much longer sentence.

Thomas will serve at least 10 years but could be in prison for as long as 15, the maximum for involuntary manslaughter. Her release is up to the state parole board.

This was "involuntary manslaughter by severe neglect in every way," Fullerton said.  
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/13/crimesider/entry6093270.shtml
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:47:17 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 08:49:33 AM »

Involuntary Manslaughter

Involuntary manslaughter is the unlawful killing of another human being without intent. The absence of the intent element is the essential difference between voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. Also in most states, involuntary manslaughter does not result from a heat of passion but from an improper use of reasonable care or skill while in the commission of a lawful act or while in the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to a felony.

Generally there are two types of involuntary manslaughter: (1) criminal-negligence manslaughter; and (2) unlawful-act manslaughter. The first occurs when death results from a high degree of NEGLIGENCE or recklessness, and the second occurs when death is caused by one who commits or attempts to commit an unlawful act, usually a misdemeanor.

Although all jurisdictions punish involuntary manslaughter, the statutes vary somewhat. In some states, the criminal negligence type of manslaughter is described as gross negligence or culpable negligence. Others divide the entire offense of manslaughter into degrees, with voluntary manslaughter constituting a more serious offense and carrying a heavier penalty than involuntary manslaughter.

Many statutes do not define the offense or define it vaguely in common-law terms. There are, however, a small number of modern statutes that are more specific. Under one such statute, the offense is defined as the commission of a lawful act without proper caution or requisite skill, in which one unguardedly or undesignedly kills another or the commission of an unlawful act that is not felonious or tends to inflict great bodily harm.

http://law.jrank.org/pages/8426/Manslaughter-Involuntary-Manslaughter.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »

I can't stop shaking my head at this sentence   
There is no Justice for little Shylea 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »

I can't stop shaking my head at this sentence   
There is no Justice for little Shylea 

I don't get the part as to why it was involuntary manslaughter. No,   Shylea wasn't killed in a moment of passion but she was slowly tortured to death by being starved to death by not being fed day after day after day and being forced to lay in her own excrement, day after day until her skin had sores and infection.  Certainly the outcome of anyone not being fed for a prolonged  length of time could eventually end in their demise, let alone a child with special medical problems.  Is not feeding this child negligence?  Or is it murder?  What was the intent?  Not feeding Shylea wasn't done for her health, that's for darn sure!   I am particularly disgusted this woman was allowed to adopt this child.  And the teacher and others that noticed her weight drop?  No report to authorities?  And the cashing of a check for the care of this child and not used for that purpose?  Shylea was just a check in the mail, imo.  A cash cow for the biotch that murdered her.  Shylea suffered in silence until her death.  She was failed in so many ways, imo.     The only good I can find here at all is that no one can cause Shylea any more pain.  That's sad.  Sad as can be.       Rest in Peace Shylea  an angelic monkey 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.