March 28, 2024, 11:56:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H1N1 - Swine Flu - Novel Flu - Information  (Read 151857 times)
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #460 on: December 15, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »

Thanks from www.flutrackers.com....

PENNSYLVANIA - Vaccine Recall Information

Children's swine flu vaccine recalled for ineffectiveness

By Luis Fabregas
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Last updated: 3:42 pm

A nationwide recall of swine flu vaccine for infants today extended to Pennsylvania, where vaccine maker Sanofi-Aventis recalled about 15,000 of the pre-filled syringes.

Holli Senior, a spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania Department of Health, said 20 providers throughout the state received the recalled doses, but she did not immediately know specific locations.

Sanofi-Aventis recalled about 800,000 doses, saying the vaccine may be less potent than required. Officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention emphasized the vaccines were safe.

"It's a potency issue, not a safety issue," Senior said.
If children have received the vaccine it would not pose any safety concerns, she said.

The infants and children who received the recalled vaccine should be protected from the H1N1 virus, provided they received the recommended two shots, said Dr. Anne Schuchat of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Len Lavenda, spokesman for Sanofi-Aventis, said the vaccine should still protect children who received two doses.

"We still believe it will protect children," he said.

He said routine tests showed four lots of the vaccine contained "a little less antigen" and "little less active ingredient" than required. Sanofi-Aventis notified federal authorities of the problem on Monday.

Since the recalled vaccine most likely was already given to children, officials issued the recall to alert providers to return any unused doses.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_657858.html

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #461 on: December 15, 2009, 07:50:48 PM »

Thanks to www.flutrackers.com....

CALIFORNIA - Vaccine Recall Information

Source: http://**/health/ci_14002316

Swine flu vaccine recall: Santa Clara County health department statement

Mercury News
Posted: 12/15/2009 01:15:25 PM PST
Updated: 12/15/2009 01:15:27 PM PST

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced the voluntary recall of 800,000 doses of H1N1 flu vaccine after tests indicated that it doesn't meet potency standards.

The Santa Clara County Public Health Department received 900 of the recalled doses, which are pre-filled syringes intended for young children ages 6 to 35 months old manufactured by Sanofi Pasteur.

Private providers who received the recalled doses are being notified directly and asked to return them to the manufacturer.

"The recall does not affect the safety of the vaccine," said Marty Fenstersheib, MD, health officer for the Santa Clara County Public Health Department. "The vaccine in question may be slightly less potent, but kids don't need to get revaccinated. If they haven't yet had their second dose, they should get it as scheduled."

The recalled doses were used at clinics the County held at the County Fairgrounds on December 6 and December 12, and at clinics offered at its California Children's Services site on Empey Way.

The recalled doses were contained in four lot numbers. All 900 recalled doses received by the Public Health Department came from one lot number: PF 0.25 UT030CA.

For children vaccinated at one of the County's clinics, the lot number is written on the blue cards parents received when their child was vaccinated.

The recalled doses were detected during routine testing by Sanofi Pasteur. Testing revealed that the amount of antigens in the four lots did not meet the required levels.

While the antigen content of these lots is now below the specification limit, the CDC and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are in agreement that the small decrease in antigen content is unlikely to result in a significant reduction in immune response among children who received the vaccine.

The Santa Clara County Public Health Department has been working to protect the public from the H1N1 flu virus since it emerged last spring. The County has held five large-scale vaccination clinics at the County Fairgrounds and other smaller clinics at Valley Health Centers and Gardner Family Health Centers.

More than 8,100 individuals at risk for illness or serious complications from the H1N1 influenza virus were vaccinated at Santa Clara County's free clinics on Saturday, December 12, and Sunday, December 13. At the County Fairgrounds site, nearly 1,000 children under age 10 received their second dose. Children under 10 need two vaccinations to get the best protection against the H1N1 flu virus.

Santa Clara County Public Health officials again used the AlertSCC system to notify parents who had their children vaccinated at clinics held at the County Fairgrounds on November 15 and 21 that it was time to get the second dose.

AlertSCC is a mass notification system launched by the County in September. It can be used to send emergency instructions or information to anyone who lives and works in Santa Clara County through voice and text messages as well as emails.

Nearly 2,000 calls were made in English, Spanish and Vietnamese to families who had their children vaccinated at the November 15 and 21 clinics.

These were the last free H1N1 vaccination clinics offered by the County this year. Clinics will again be scheduled in January. To find out when clinics will be scheduled, continue to check the Public Health Department's website at www.sccphd.org.

Public and private healthcare providers are continuing to receive more vaccine.

As of December 11, a total of 435,270 doses have been shipped to healthcare providers in Santa Clara County since October, according to the state. If you are in the high-risk category and still need to get vaccinated against the H1N1 flu virus, contact your healthcare provider to see if they have received a supply.

As of December 9, 825 people in Santa Clara County have been hospitalized for serious complications related to the H1N1 influenza virus and 15 have died since May 1. That is an increase of 40 hospitalizations and one death over the previous week.

For the time being, vaccinations will continue to be provided only to the following groups:

- Pregnant women

- Children and young adults between the ages of 6 months and 24 years

- People who live with or provide care for infants under 6 months

- Adults between the ages of 25 and 64 years who have medical conditions that put them at risk for serious illness and death from the H1N1 flu virus

- Healthcare and emergency service care workers

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #462 on: December 15, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »

Thanks www.flutrackers.com....

LOUISIANA - Did not receive any of the recalled lots according to following article:

DHH: No recalled H1N1 vaccine in Louisiana

From staff reports • December 15, 2009

Louisiana did not receive any of the recalled lots of H1N1 vaccine intended for children under age 3.

Vaccine maker Sanofi Pastuer recalled 800,000 doses of the vaccine, distributed in pre-filled syringes, after testing showed that four lots didn't meet potency requirements.

State and national health officials said there are no concerns about the safety of the vaccine, and parents shouldn't worry if children have received the vaccine.

The also said children don't need to be vaccinated again.

"All lots successfully passed pre-release testing for purity, potency and safety," said Sean Smith, a spokesman with the Louisiana Health and Hospitals Department.

However, later tests showed the vaccine's potency decreased over time. Sanofi Pasteur officials are looking into what caused that.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...e-in-Louisiana

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #463 on: December 15, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »

Thanks to www.flutrackers.com....

MISSOURI - vaccine recall information:

H1N1 Vaccine Recalled

All of the recalled vaccine was the vaccine for children, some of the recalled lots were given out in mid-Missouri

Posted by Stephanie Schaefer on Tue Dec 15, 2009

The CDC is recalling 800,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine but claims the vaccines are safe.

All of the recalled doses are pre-filled syringes made by Sanofi Pasteur and were given to young children between the ages of 6 months and 3 years.

We checked in with the Columbia/Boone County Health Department and found out they got one lot of the recalled vaccine.

Right now, they are not sure how many doses of the recalled vaccine has been given out. They do know they got it on November 19, but did not start giving it out until the following week.

According to the Columbia/Boone County Health Department spokeswoman, Genalee Alexander, none of the vaccines were given out as a second dose and all of the children that got the vaccine will be needing to come back in 28 days for a second dose anyways.

The CDC says the vaccines are safe but are not potent enough to protect against the virus.

The affected lots passed the intiail potency tests when shipped out, but newer tests showed the potency waned.

The CDC says children that got the recalled shots do not need to be re-vaccinated.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/story.php?id=15692

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #464 on: December 15, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »

Mere, I really do appreciate all you do maintaining and updating this very important thread.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #465 on: December 15, 2009, 07:59:06 PM »

Thanks to www.flutrackers.com.....

MASSACHUSETTS - Vaccine recall information

Did Mass. Kids Get Recalled H1N1 Vaccines?

800,000 H1N1 Vaccine Recalled

POSTED: 3:15 pm EST December 15, 2009

BOSTON -- Some of the hundreds of thousands of swine flu shots for children that were recalled because tests indicate the vaccine doses lost some strength may have been given to children in Massachusetts, health officials said Tuesday.

The shots, made by Sanofi Pasteur, were distributed across the country last month and most have already been used, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The 800,000 pre-filled syringes that were recalled are for young children, ages 6 months to nearly 3 years.

The Massachusetts Department of Public Health said Tuesday that some of the vaccine was shipped to the Bay State, but it wasn't sure where.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to notify providers who received the affected vaccine directly

The Boston Public Health Commission said none of the vaccine they received was affected by recall. But some of the vaccine was shipped directly to hospitals and doctors' offices, a BPH spokeswoman said.

Dr. Anne Schuchat, a CDC flu expert, stressed that parents don't need to do anything or to worry if their child got one -- or even two -- of the recalled shots. The vaccine is safe and effective, she said.

The issue is the vaccine's strength, government health officials said Tuesday. Tests done before the shots were shipped showed that the vaccines were strong enough. But tests done weeks later indicated the strength had fallen slightly below required levels.

Why the potency dropped isn't clear. "That's the $64,000 question," said Len Lavenda, a Sanofi Pasteur spokesman.

Young children are supposed to get two doses, spaced about a month apart. Health officials don't think children need to get vaccinated again, even if they got two doses from the recalled lots, said Schuchat.

Swine flu vaccine has been available since early October, and since then manufacturers have released about 95 million doses for distribution in the United States.

The recalled shots were made by Sanofi Pasteur, the vaccines division of France-based Sanofi-Aventis Group. The vaccine all tested fine when it was shipped out earlier this fall. But last week, testing of one lot showed that the potency had fallen about 12 percent below the government standard, Lavenda said.

The company found three other lots with diminished strength. It notified government health officials and did a voluntary recall, asking doctors to return any unused doses. The vaccine has been in high demand and the company doesn't expect to see much come back, Lavenda added.

Officials with the Food and Drug Administration, the CDC and the company all said they believe the strength of the recalled doses is still high enough to protect children against the virus. No potency problem has been detected in the same vaccine packaged in other types of syringes or vials, Lavenda said.

Experts have a theory that the problem is specific to the children's pre-filled syringes. For some reason, the antigen -- the key vaccine ingredient -- may be sticking to the walls of those syringes, said Dr. Jesse Goodman, the FDA's deputy commissioner for science and public health.

Another manufacturer, Novartis, in February recalled five lots of seasonal flu vaccine packed in pre-filled syringes under similar circumstances.

Sanofi Pasteur bills itself as the No. 1 manufacturer of flu vaccines in the world. It makes flu vaccine at sites in France and in Pennsylvania.

Swine flu was first identified in April. During the first seven months of the pandemic, it has sickened about 50 million Americans and killed about 10,000, according to CDC estimates.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/h1n1...08/detail.html

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #466 on: December 15, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »

Mere, I really do appreciate all you do maintaining and updating this very important thread.   an angelic monkey

Hi Muffy....thanks again for looking out for this subject....and including information that you find.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #467 on: December 15, 2009, 08:07:21 PM »

Thanks to www.flutrackers.com

WISCONSIN - information on vaccine recall:

Recalled vaccine not unsafe, merely ineffective

by WRN Contributor on December 15, 2009
in Children & Families, Health & Medicine

Despite a recall on an H1N1 vaccine, it is still safe. Approximately 14,700 doses that were distributed to providers throughout the state are included in the recall, according to Dan Hopfensperger, director of the state’s immunization program. “We are contacting them directly, to let them know if they have not administered the vaccine, they should take it . . . out of their inventory,” says Hopfensperger.

More than 800,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine for children are being recalled, but not because they’re unsafe. “The vaccine is safe, and it is effective,” says Hopfensperger. “However, it may not be as effective as originally intended.” That’s because some of the shots have a lower antigen content, which is the main ingredient the help the body create antibodies against the virus. Children under 10 are recommended to get a second shot, which Hopfensperger says will booster any effect from a first dose.

http://www.wrn.com/2009/12/recalled-...y-ineffective/

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #468 on: December 15, 2009, 08:32:17 PM »

This information came just now via email....unable to open....due to traffic I believe...
the message seems to be the one sentence that the lots are safe and that the recall is due to potency.  I will open and print later this evening.

Non-Safety-Related Voluntary Recall of Certain Lots of Sanofi Pasteur H1N1 Pediatric (0.25 mL, for 6-35 month olds) Vaccine in Pre-Filled Syringes Questions & Answers
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:00:00 -0600

The recalled vaccine lots are safe. The reason for the recall is the vaccine potency.

For more information on H1N1 situation, please visit www.Flu.gov

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #469 on: December 16, 2009, 01:19:17 AM »

Mere,
I hope this article is not "out of place" here.  I just thought it was interesting how few turned out for the vaccine!

http://www.arubatoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=747&Itemid=1

First wave of “Swine Flu” vaccinations to end Friday

Tuesday, 15 December 2009

ORANJESTAD - Health officials announced yesterday morning that Friday, December 18 will be the last opportunity for island residents to obtain their free H1N1 Flu virus vaccinations until the program continues with the second wave of vaccinations beginning well in the middle of January.

Head Epidemiologist Maribelle Tromp reminded the public that Aruba has obtained 35,000 doses of H1N1 virus immunizations, but only 1367 individuals have taken advantage of the free vaccinations being offered daily until December 18. Today and tomorrow, Wednesday, December 16 will be the last time the shots will be offered at three locations in the late afternoon and evening, to accommodate most working schedules, announced Sharlene Koolman of the Department of Contagious Diseases.

During the hours from 3:00 PM until 7:00 PM, teams from various health agencies will be immunizing those qualified at EPB San Nicolas, EPB Hato in Oranjestad, and Centro Kibrahacha for the Elderly, in Piedra Plat. Vaccinations can also be obtained at their central headquarters in Oranjestad, where the old hospital was located, and will be administered daily from 8:00 AM until Noon through Friday, December 18. After that date, all departments will be closed until mid-January.

Dr. Salazar of the Department of Health reminded the public that particular risk groups must be immunized, such as children ages 6 months to 5 years and those who suffer with chronic health conditions, particularly respiratory diseases, such as asthma. They do not recommend the vaccine for infants under six months, but strongly urge families with young babies or those living with someone in a high risk groups, make sure to get immunized against the H1N1 virus, because if they contract it, they could spread it to family members who are at greatest risk.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #470 on: December 16, 2009, 07:14:42 PM »

TxMom...thank you for the article. 

I have been looking for information on the state of the H1N1 virus on Aruba, but other than early information, I have not found any stats.

Do you know if the flu has affected the island?

I believe the population is approximately 90,000 - 100,000.  It looks like they requested an amount that would cover more that 1/3 of the population (35,000 doses) and only
1367 have come in for the vaccine.

There are many across the US as well who have strong reasons for not getting the
vaccine, and I must say, there are web sites publishing information that would scare
most of us.  It is an individual decision....and I made mine a few weeks ago.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #471 on: December 16, 2009, 07:18:24 PM »

Questions & Answers

In the News: Deaths related to 2009 H1N1 & American Indians and Alaskan Natives
December 11, 2009 9:00 AM ET

Are American Indians and Alaskan Natives more likely to die from 2009 H1N1 than the general population?
A recent investigation found that American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN) are 4 times more likely to die from 2009 H1N1 than the general population.   

The study investigated the influenza-related deaths between April 15 and November 13, 2009 occurring in the 12 states which represent 50% of the AI/AN population in the United States.  About 10% of deaths occurred among AI/AN, although they make up only about 3% of the population in the 12 states.

Why are American Indians and Alaskan Natives at increased risk of dying from 2009 H1N1?
There is no epidemiological or clinical evidence to suggest people’s racial or ethnic group alone makes them more susceptible to influenza infection, illness or death.   There are several possible explanations for the disparity which puts AI/AN at increased risk from the flu, including higher rates of underlying chronic illnesses like asthma and diabetes, poverty, delayed access to health care and low vaccination coverage.  CDC continues to investigate factors contributing to increased influenza-associated hospitalizations and mortality among racial and ethnic minorities, including AI/AN.   

What is being done to reduce the burden of mortality on AI/AN?
Along with continued investigation, CDC is increasing awareness among AI/AN and their health-care providers about H1N1 influenza. Health professionals and agencies, especially those serving AI/AN,  should expand community education regarding the risk for influenza complications and mortality, use influenza antiviral medication early for those at increased risk for H1N1 influenza complications, and promote vaccination against 2009 H1N1 and seasonal influenza.

What Can American Indians and Alaska Natives and other Minority Groups do to protect themselves From Severe flu Complications?
Vaccination is the best way to prevent the flu and its complications.  People at high risk for influenza complications and death to should vaccinated against 2009 H1N1 influenza as well as seasonal influenza.  American Indians and Alaska Natives should also receive prompt treatment with antiviral medication if they do develop influenza-like illnesses. 

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/in_the_news/deaths_american_indians.htm

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #472 on: December 16, 2009, 07:21:42 PM »

Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 - update 78
Weekly update

11 December 2009 -- As of 6 December 2009, worldwide more than 208 countries and overseas territories or communities have reported laboratory confirmed cases of pandemic influenza H1N1 2009, including at least 9596 deaths.

As many countries have stopped counting individual cases, particularly of milder illness, the case count is likely to be significantly lower than the actual number of cases that have occurred. WHO is actively monitoring the progress of the pandemic through frequent consultations with the WHO Regional Offices and member states and through monitoring of multiple sources of data.

Situation update:
In the temperate zone* of the northern hemisphere, pandemic influenza activity has passed its peak in North America and in parts of western, northern, and eastern Europe, but activity continues to increase in parts of central and southeastern Europe, as well as in south and east Asia. Influenza transmission remains active in much of western and central Asia and there is evidence of pandemic virus circulation in most regions of Africa.

In United States and Canada, active influenza virus transmission persists but overall ILI** activity continues to decline for the 5th and 3rd consecutive weeks, respectively. In the US, after 8 weeks of increases, proportional mortality due to pneumonia and influenza (P&I mortality) has begun to decrease but remains elevated above the epidemic threshold; weekly numbers of lab-confirmed hospitalizations and deaths have also recently begun to decline. So far, comparing transmission during the current winter season to transmission during the summer season, there appears to be 2-3 times more hospitalized cases and deaths in the United States and approximately 4-5 times more hospitalized cases and deaths in Canada during the winter season. However, the overall rate of hospitalization and death in the population is similar to that which was observed in temperate countries of the southern hemisphere during their winter. This would indicate that transmission of the virus has been much more widespread and intense during the winter, as predicted, but overall rates of severe illness have not changed compared to southern hemisphere. Similar to seasonal influenza, persons with certain underlying conditions (compared to those without) were at significantly increased risk of hospitalization and death associated with pandemic H1N1 2009 virus infection. During the current winter season in Canada, 52% of hospitalized cases, 60% of cases requiring ICU, and 67% of fatal cases, had a underlying chronic medical illness. Similar to the experience of many countries, the most common underlying conditions among fatal cases in Canada were asthma followed by chronic cardiac disease, immunosuppression, and diabetes.

Article continued at link below.....

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_12_11a/en/index.html

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #473 on: December 16, 2009, 07:25:12 PM »

CDC Updates Influenza and Pneumonia-Associated Hospitalizations and Deaths from August 30 to December 5, 2009
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:20:00 -0600

U.S. Laboratory Confirmed Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations and Deaths from August 30 to December 5, 2009

Click on link below for maps, information and other links.....

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/updates/us/#totalcases

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #474 on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »

New York Autopsies Show 2009 H1N1 Influenza Virus Damages Entire Airway

In fatal cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza, the virus can damage cells throughout the respiratory airway, much like the viruses that caused the 1918 and 1957 influenza pandemics, report researchers from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner.

The scientists reviewed autopsy reports, hospital records and other clinical data from 34 people who died of 2009 H1N1 influenza infection between May 15 and July 9, 2009. All but two of the deaths occurred in New York City.

A microscopic examination of tissues throughout the airways revealed that the virus caused damage primarily to the upper airway—the trachea and bronchial tubes—but tissue damage in the lower airway, including deep in the lungs, was present as well.

Evidence of secondary bacterial infection was seen in more than half of the victims.

The team was led by James R. Gill, M.D., of the New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner and New York University School of Medicine, and Jeffery K. Taubenberger, M.D., Ph.D., of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) at NIH.

The findings are reported in the Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, now available online and scheduled to appear in the February 2010 print issue

Continue this article on the following link....
http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/news/newsreleases/2009/FluAutopsy.htm

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #475 on: December 16, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »

TxMom...thank you for the article. 

I have been looking for information on the state of the H1N1 virus on Aruba, but other than early information, I have not found any stats.

Do you know if the flu has affected the island?

I believe the population is approximately 90,000 - 100,000.  It looks like they requested an amount that would cover more that 1/3 of the population (35,000 doses) and only
1367 have come in for the vaccine.

There are many across the US as well who have strong reasons for not getting the
vaccine, and I must say, there are web sites publishing information that would scare
most of us.  It is an individual decision....and I made mine a few weeks ago.

You're welcome Mere! 

Here are a few things I've seen recently.  I'm sorry I haven't paid much attention to the articles regarding the flu in Aruba, but I'll keep an eye out and bring over anything I think you may find interesting.

Here are a few things I've seen recently.

Posted on the International School of Aruba Website:

http://www.isaruba.com/H1N1%20Differences%20Between.pdf

From the ISA newsletter Nov 20th:
http://www.isaruba.com/Quick%20links/newsletter/Nov.%2020%20Breeze%20Courier.pdf

FLU Information
Attached to this Breeze you will find a chart that may be of assistance
with differentiating between a Cold, the Seasonal Flu or the H1N1 Flu.
H1N1 remains a real threat to all and everyone needs to be watching
carefully for any of the symptoms. If the symptoms appear, seeing your
family doctor as soon as possible is recommended.

Oct 23rd:
Flu and H1N1
Attached with this Breeze is some helpful information regarding the H1N1 virus.
Remember to contact your family doctor if there is any question regarding the
flu.
For more Information:
Center for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu
World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html

http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_66180.php

Fear and confusion impede vaccination
8 Dec, 2009, 07:22 (GMT -04:00)

Email dit artikel 
Print dit artikel 

ORANJESTAD — The number of people from high-risk groups that had reported for the Mexican influenza injection had stopped at 187 yesterday. The great majority of these people were healthy and older than 60 sixties years of age.

Minister of Public Health, Richard Visser (AVP) had pointed out the importance of the vaccination during a press conference at the office of the Public Health Directorate. According to him, many people had misunderstood that the normal flu injection, which they had received earlier, would be sufficient against the Mexican flu. The Minister and the Directorate request family doctors to refer people to the injection posts. According to the Minister, the number of people reporting for vaccination at the posts is still very low”. He appeals to the people to obey the call for vaccination. “Everyone who thinks that he or she had already received the injection is wrong. You have not been vaccinated against H1N1 yet.”

Previous vaccination
The confusion regarding the Mexican flu vaccination occurred during the administering of injections against the normal flu in June and July. The vaccine Pandemrix against the Mexican influenza had not been ready yet. The Public Heath Directorate had received 40.000 flu vaccinations from the World Health Organization (WHO) and had appealed to the population to report for injection with the announcement that – even though this was not the vaccination against the Mexican flu – it could mitigate the symptoms of that flu. The appeal had led to a massive turnout and nearly 22.000 people had been injected against the normal flu in June and July. The family doctors’ association HAVA had contended with a large amount of patients in July who had thought that they would receive the vaccination against H1N1.

E-mails and websites
It is not only the confusion, which impedes the flood to the injection posts. The Public Health Directorate states it is coping with considerable incorrect information and unnecessary fear amongst the population. Doctor Wilmer Salazar cites e-mails and websites, which state that the vaccination could be lethal. In addition, homeopathic doctors are supposedly advising against the Mexican influenza vaccination. “They are the ones that should know better” according to Salazar. The Public Health Directorate had issued a press report last week, which refutes scientifically based rumors of too high a mercury percentage in the Pandemrix vaccination. Nevertheless, the start of the first vaccination round against the Mexican flu last week had begun difficult. The Amigoe had learned from co-workers of the White Yellow Cross that the flood of parents with young children and babies had been disappointing. At least at one post parents had regularly phoned to express their concern on negative reports regarding the Pandemrix vaccine.

According to Maribel Tromp of the Public Health Directorate, 61 cases have now been registered of which eight had been hospitalized. “All of these hospitalizations regarded people with chronic illnesses or of advanced age.” Therefore, high-risk groups, in particular the rain and the temperature drop could spread the flu somewhat easier during this second H1N1-wave. The Public Health Directorate is currently considering switching over to vaccinating the other groups within the population.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #476 on: December 17, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »

TxMom...as always...you know the news...!!!     Many thanks.

Received today from hhs.gov...

The following is a link to an interactive site which shows the H1N1 Timeline - a Year in Review.  It begins in March-April, 2009 with the discovery of a new virus.....

http://www.flu.gov/about/h1n1yearreview.html

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #477 on: December 17, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »

WHO: Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 Vaccine Deployment Update
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:00:00 -0600

WHO is coordinating the distribution of donated pandemic flu vaccine to 95 countries.

For more information on H1N1 situation, please visit www.Flu.gov

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/vaccines/h1n1_vaccination_deployment_update_20091217.pdf

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #478 on: December 20, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »

Mere, this is the latest from Aruba...not a very good translation but I'll keep my eyes open for the article in English.

http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_66588.php

Google translation:

ARUBA

Yet large turnout vaccination

December 19, 2009, 11:52 (GMT -04:00)

ORANGE CITY - The last two days have been considerably more people turn up to get a shot against the Mexican flu. On Thursday Health Department estimates that if only 600 adults to report on Friday and 500 people. Exact figures are still being counted and announced on Monday. Until last Monday were only 1367 people who had to sting. Health therefore decided to give two extra days in which people could get a puncture. Wilmer Salazar of Health said today that the number has risen to around 6 to 7000 adults. "But that's a very rough estimate." In this number are not the children by the White Yellow Cross vaccinated. Why the rise the past two days rose enormously, Health is not known. "It could be that people only have postponed until the last moment," says epidemiologist Maribel Tromp. Thus, many of the referral letters from general practitioners dated. "There were referral letters were given on December 1st and still the people came at the last moment" said Tromp.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #479 on: December 22, 2009, 10:21:58 AM »

H1N1 - Pets - Dog in NY

Read at www.flutrackers.com this morning.....

New York Dog Tests Positive for H1N1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co...-for-h1n1.aspx

New York Dog Tests Positive for H1N1
Posted: Monday, Dec. 21, 2009, 6:24 p.m., EST

New York Dog Tests Positive for H1N1A 13-year-old male mixed-breed dog has tested positive for the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus, the first known reported U.S. case, according to Idexx Reference Laboratories. The Westbrook, Maine-based company, which recently launched its H1N1 Influenza Virus RealPCR Test, made the announcement on Dec. 21.

The canine sample was submitted to Idexx by the Katonah Bedford Veterinary Center in Bedford Hills, N.Y., earlier this month. The sample tested positive for H1N1. The result was later independently verified by Iowa State University Veterinary Diagnostics Laboratory.

The dog had been taken to the veterinarian after not feeling well for several days. He was treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories with no improvement in condition. The dog was then taken to an emergency veterinarian at Katonah Bedford Veterinary Center on Dec. 13 presenting with lethargy, lack of appetite, dry cough and a fever of 103.6°F. During the exam, the owner reported that he had tested positive earlier in the week for the H1N1 influenza virus.

After 48 hours of hospitalization and supportive care, the dog improved and was sent home, where he is reportedly recovering well.

To date, H1N1 has also been detected in cats, ferrets, pigs, birds and humans. So far, pets are believed to have contracted the virus from their owners.

“There have been a number of apparent reverse zoonosis cases in companion animals whose owners were also infected with the virus,” said Jane Robertson, DVM, Dipl. ACVIM, head of internal medicine at Idexx Reference Laboratories. “While there is no evidence these pets spread H1N1 to other animals or to people, this new case confirms the ability of the virus to infect multiple species including dogs.”

The American Veterinary Medical Association urges pet owners to monitor their pets’ health very closely, no matter what type of animal, and visit a veterinarian if there are any signs of illness.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.